Welcome to the new MegaTokyo Forums! The old forums are available (in read-only mode) at http://archive.forums.megatokyo.com.

Dragonball helps with my depression

nathanjame

Dragonball helps with my depression

Post by nathanjame » Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 pm

hello everyone!
I wanted to make a topic because today is the first day in a long time that I have actually felt like making one. I just wanted to say that I have depression and anxiety that I take medicine for and I have lost a lot of interest in a lot of things in my life but thank God! Dragonball was never one of them. I'm not trying to say that Dragonball is perfect and doesn't have flaws but to me it will always be the greatest cartoon ever made. I have watched the series sooooooo many times in different formats,dubs,subs and I always keep coming back to it. I normally try to watch the entire franchise once a year and that includes the movies. but there isn't a single character that I dislike in the entire series! I love the outfits everyone wears, the towns, just everything about the series I love.
Someone asked me the other day would I take 1000 for my dragonboxes and I told them no because money just don't mean that much to me anymore and I consider those to be jewels in my collection and don't want to part with them. but I just feel so much comfort watching this series that it makes me feel good. I honestly don't know how much Akira Toriyama cares, but I'm thankful that he gave me something like this.
So with all that said...how does Dragonball affect you? Does it make you feel good seeing those familiar faces and going on those adventures with Goku and the rest of the gang?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: Dragonball helps with my depression

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue May 08, 2018 2:33 am

Dragonball doesn't really do anything for me, but watching anime keeps me from choking the fuck out of my coworkers, so I know where you're coming from......if there was a thumbs up smiley, I'd put it here..... 8-)
Right-click my avatar for the latest image from Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo Sudachō 2-2-7 JR Chuo Line Yasukuni street, Japan, or click
http://www.gale-ltd.co.jp/mobotix.html

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue May 08, 2018 3:57 pm

yeah i've heard story over the years about some drastic stuff. but sometimes anime helps pass the time, put a smile on my face, helps me relax after work, helps to cheer me up after a sad thing that happened, etc. i think the little things matters too, and it adds up over the years.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue May 08, 2018 4:37 pm

When my daughter was thirteen, a friend of hers of about the same age died of cancer. She was taking it pretty hard and I was at a loss what (if anything) I could do. (Death of an older family member is one thing, death of a child is unbearable no matter what the circumstances.) So one night (rather desperate) I said hey, let's watch Code Geass. (I had got her Angelic Layer a few years before that, which she loved, and had been planning to start showing her other anime I liked, but we hadn't gotten around to it.)

Not sure if it actually helped but for a few weeks we were able to think about something else for a bit. We bawled like crazy at the end of the last episode (her for the first time, me because Nunnally's last lines always get to me :lol:), but it's an uplifting kind of ending despite all the tragedy it's embedded in...

Not exactly the same situation of course, and sorry for not being familiar with Dragonball. But I definitely understand the sentiment, and whatever works for you I think that's a good thing.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one