What are you watching/reading Q3 2020?

Yl33 D4 N00b

What are you watching/reading Q3 2020?

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 pm

Summer is here! Not sure what this season will bring; there are a few shows that I'm looking forward to, others remain a big question mark.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: What are you watching/reading Q3 2020?

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 pm

Fire Force S2 Started off with much the same mix of action and silliness al last season. At least tamaki kept her clothes on this time.... :roll:

Murren

Post by Murren » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am

Itazura na Kiss was sooo cute. I thought it was going to be a cute romantic comedy, which it was, but it ended up being a lot sweeter and deeper than I originally expected. What a sweet show. I loved it.

I liked Sing Yesterday for Me. Interesting and unique relationships. Also, a side benefit that the main female characters had exceptionally attractive voices...

I've been watching Winter Sonata. Honestly I'm not terribly into it, but it's interesting enough for me to keep watching. When they focus on the romance and relationship, it's great, but to me, a lot of the other parts of the plot are kind of boring. It is very "soap opera", which makes sense since it apparently was originally a Korean TV drama. Which is why the whole show is in Korean. It's well done though. The music gets a little repetitive IMO.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 am

I think Deca Dence is going to be a keeper. Haven't watched a good scify show in a while.....

Re:Zero S2 is back; it looks great, though Subie's a little too emo in the 1st ep.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Oregairu S3 started off slow, as it tried to continue on with the previous season's "cliffhanger". However, the rest of ep 1 was great. 8man should just leave Yui and Yuki to themselves, and go off with Saki..... ;) Animation looked a little off.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Watched Rent-A-Girlfriend for about two minutes, and shut it down. Absolute trash of an MC.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! is just OK. We'll see if it's going to be a not-so-charming version of Takagi-san or not.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Started watching Japan Sinks: 2020 on Netflix. Yuasa ain't pullin' no punches..... :o

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:08 am

DomexKano manga ending... had just made it to the usual suspects T_T
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:19 am

Not a fan of the series, but I've noted the firestorm over the ending with a hot tub of buttered popcorn..... :lol:

Murren

Post by Murren » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:39 am

I've been watching a few new things

Strawberry Marshmallow, and Minami-ke - both of these shows came from recommendations from when I posted a thread asking for some shows that have kind of adorable and kind of realistic sibling relationships. (Not romantic relationships). I'm eating these shows up - I've binged almost all of Minami-ke in one day. For some reason right now there's something really adorable to me about shows about siblings who really care for each other even if they usually are bickering and having the usual sibling problems. It's really adorable.

I've started watching Evangelion. Kind of. The reason I started watching it (aside from the fact that it's been recommended as one of the all-time great animes) is that it was one of only 3 shows I was able to find that had batches that included multiple dubs and multiple subtitles so that I can watch the French dub with English subtitles. lol. I might visit a friend in France at some point (if we're ever allowed to travel again lol) so I wanted to start exposing myself to more French. (Not surprisingly, the Japanese voice acting is better in some parts. But whatev.)

Also, I also watched the first episode of Rent-A-Girlfriend. I clicked on it because I thought the cover art was cute and I knew nothing about it (not even the name, since it was in Japanese), lol. I agree that the MC is trash. But in addition to that, the main female MC is a tsundere (or similar) who is sometimes physically abusive. So I hate her too. I don't think I'll be watching any more of this show, lol.

Oh yeah! And I started watching Mysterious Girlfriend X (Nazo No Kanojo) (ecchi show). In agreement with what one review said, it is really sincere and genuine. The 2 main characters both have their dislikable points, but it is a pretty cute/sweet show at times. Also, the saliva thing is a little weird. I don't mean "I'm judging" weird, I mean "makes my stomach feel a little weird". But it's fine. Also, one of the main supporting characters is one of the most adorable characters ever.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 am

Deca Dence EP2......... :shock:

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:00 pm

What a weird time are we living in....

I am not a fan of showing off in cars (aka big loud fast expensive dangerous etc hobby, I can watch it, but I prefer normal safe driving), but I fangasm EVs...

My offspring fanbois and watches Donut on YT... and so I came to an episode abou drifing and ... Initial D

And i went to check it out on usual suspects and got hook'd... omg 700 chapters ahead of me.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:29 am

I shelved InitialD for the moment...
while gobbling up SOA and SOA:P :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm

I am enjoying the remake of "Fruits Basket" anime, though I don't remember it being this dark in the manga.  Also the 3rd season "My Teen Romantic Comedy..."  I guess this will be the end of TRC anime? and I see the 10 vol. of the light novel is out, which is supposed to be the last.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Yeah, the 3rd season of Oregairu is supposed to take it to the end. I thought there were 14-15 volumes?

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:41 am

I should look at Wikipedia before posting - 14 vols + 3 of short stories. The anime is doing an OK job of adapting the light novel, but of course there is a lot more. Reading the novel helps me decipher the "little sister" scene in ep 3, et al.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Realized I've had a cuteness deficiency in my anime watching(Uzaki-chan isn't nearly enough), so I'm making it up by starting watching one I've missed: K-ON.

Murren

Post by Murren » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 pm
Realized I've had a cuteness deficiency in my anime watching(Uzaki-chan isn't nearly enough), so I'm making it up by starting watching one I've missed: K-ON.
This post made me realize that it's not often that anyone in this forum mentions a show I've actually heard of, lol. But yeah, that sounds like a great choice. That show has been recommended to me many times. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

On other notes - Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka (Is The Order A Rabbit) is going to be very high on my all time favorites. I don't know how a show can be so perfect.

Also, I started watching Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa. Some of the things about it annoy me a bit, but some of the characters are sooooo cute...

A little while ago, I watched the first 4 episodes of Cross Game while I was drunk, so I decided I'd re-watch it from the beginning, since I don't remember much. Jesus, if you like feeling emotions, that's maybe one of the best "first episodes" I've ever seen. So good... Also, the soundtrack for this show (so far) seems to be so good. I look forward to hearing the rest of it and seeing the rest of the show.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:51 am

Murren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am

Also, I started watching Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa. Some of the things about it annoy me a bit, but some of the characters are sooooo cute...
Unfortunately there are only 13 episodes that covers the first 4 volumes out of 22. You really should read the manga.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Murren wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am

On other notes - Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka (Is The Order A Rabbit) is going to be very high on my all time favorites. I don't know how a show can be so perfect.
S3 upcoming in the fall! 👍

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Watched "Daily Life of the Immortal King" (Xian Wang De Ri Chang Sheng Huo). Better than usual characters & plot (IMHO) for a Chinese work. Falls in the "Demon King Reincarnated" story fad current lately. Excellent English translation.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 pm

Viz has a new Shonen Jump manga (for free!) called Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin. It's nuts, but it's off to a really good start!

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:34 am

I don't think I'm watching much new stuff for Q3, mostly resuming what had been halted due to the state of the world.

I thought Deca-Dence was just going to be another Attack on Titan type premise, but the second episode kinda makes life a lot more interesting so I'm sticking with it. Production values are decent too.

Houkago Teibou Nisshi has resumed for people wanting cute girls doing cute things. I'm enjoying it even if it isn't quite up to the caliber of Yuru Camp. Not anime but I do watch a lot of Kimagure Cook, which is a youtuber who focuses on seafood preparation. Which has given me some knowledge and interest in seafood, and the girls here catch and prepare seafood at times so I'm actually somewhat interested in what the girls do.

Appare Ranman was something I planned on watching last season, but didn't actually commit to due to the fact everything was going to get delayed. I decided to jump on it now that it has resumed airing. Whacky trans continental race across America on a crazy steampunk car? I'm in. It's quite fun so far. While I was rather ehhh on a lot of PA Works forays outside their usual cute girl shows(Sirius was kinda meh, Fairy Gone was pretty terrible), I'm quite liking Appare Ranman.

Fugou Keiji Balance: Unlimited, another anime that's back on air. I just find it entertaining, absurdly solving problems with a lot of money. The gimmick might run old over time so we'll have to see if the character development or any emergent story can carry the rest of the show. So far I'm kinda fond of the premise of if Bruce Wayne didn't become Batman but instead joined the police force and kept abusing his wealth.

Fire Force S2. Honestly getting a bit tired of the show. The Tamaki losing her clothes gag is getting old as hell. I have nothing against that sorta humour but I do take issue with something repeated one time too many. Maybe it's been too long since season 1, but did they introduce Haumea last season? I honestly cannot remember who the hell she is. I'm questioning my sanity, either I'm forgetful as hell or I didn't actually finish season 1.... was there any broadcast or subtitle disruption towards the end of season 1?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:22 pm

I had completely forgot about Appare Ranman, just finished binging to catch up. Quite possibly the oddest character designs for what's supposed to be a period piece set in the early 1900s. If you don't take this show too seriously, it's quite fun, done with the usual PA quality.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:53 pm

The Old:
Macross Plus - saw some webms from sakugabooru and was reminded of the massively visual epic that is Sharon Apple's concerts so... yeah.
Samurai Champloo - I haven't watched this since it fuckin' aired, and now it's out on Blu Ray.
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - I have no idea why I'm rewatching this. It's seasonal trash.

The New
Sword Art Online - Because fuck it, might as well finish the fucking thing.
Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha - It's a refreshing change. Guy has a permanent I WIN AT EVERYTHING 5EVER thing going on.