[1577] cheating

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1577] cheating

Post by paarfi » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1577] cheating

Post by Invisigoth » Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 am

Megumi does have great hair, doesn't she?

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 am
Megumi does have great hair, doesn't she?
She has big megatokyo hair.

I like the kitty in the last panel too.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Fri May 15, 2020 10:27 am

Well if that isn't the definition of right place right time. You go dude. And holding hands is definitely cheating.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Fri May 15, 2020 10:48 am

KITTY!
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri May 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Ha, just watched JoJo Rabbit a couple days ago on Netflix, and really liked the "Komm gib mir deine Hand" at the beginning.

So this strip immediately made me assume this would exist:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KCiDb6XQYNw

And it does. :)

EDIT:
Apropos of the title, on the other hand, is Quirrell's "Cheating is what the losers call technique." (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, Ch. 78)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri May 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Wow backgrounds :)

So, this would be one of the other players, that have a cheating attribute? Like, the little MG Noob Yuki?

re cats, in the stream there were much more of where this one came from ;) Fred should make a poster of that imo.

Other than that, really nice page, thank you, Fred :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Why do I get the feeling that the guy with glasses is on the rebound?
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Hmmmm... usually talking about the ex is a major no no foe pah. Not good first impression material, but it seems to be working for Megumi. A little bit of crazy under that sweet looking exterior.
COVID19 social distancing is a real drag.
That is mostly how this comic makes me feel.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 pm
Hmmmm... usually talking about the ex is a major no no foe pah. Not good first impression material, but it seems to be working for Megumi. A little bit of crazy under that sweet looking exterior.
Well, usually it means that the person isn't over the prior relationship but it asking people for dates, is the sort of person to kiss and tell, or is being vindictive. In this case, she ran into him literally as his buddy was taking him out drinking to get over the whole thing, so he was not asking her out while he wasn't over the first girl, and, at this point, he's pretty clearly mostly confused by the whole thing rather than out to hurt the prior girl.

I rather get the impression that Megumi is getting a bit of a rush from, essentially, being able to snitch that girl's boyfriend, without needing to even feel bad about it. I think she usually is the responsible one, and is relishing the opportunity to be the "bad girl" without likely actually hurting anyone.

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Sat May 16, 2020 5:43 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
It's a faux pas - French for "Do Not" - but otherwise, yes, quite right. Maybe Megumi just likes to hear hard luck stories?

That said, it's quite sweet - I have no reason not to wish them well at this point.
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 am

I get the impression that Megumi *asked* him about his background story.

In their current situation I do not think it faux pas for her to ask and for him to actually tell her what happened. Imagine him rambling like Piro would (inline MT Piro, that is!), “No no, I can’t tell you what happened to me because it’s got to do with my… well, and generally it’s not considered to be best practice to talk about one’s letter that follows the double U — at least, if that is what *ahem!*sh…*ahem!* actually was in the first place — on a first date! — oh… this isn’t exactly a date, right? Heheh…”

=)

But it may explain why this guy dares to ask about her background on a first walk, after sharing about his own tough luck.
And why she is actually willing to hold hands with him after that.

Excellent comic again, Fred, thanks!!! =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am

mistersaxon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:43 am
It's a faux pas - French for "Do Not"
Do not go aspellin at me, mister!

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat May 16, 2020 10:52 am

The last panel sings to me 'this, is the beginning of a beautiful friendship' ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Awww!

Lovely storyline and lovely artwork. Glowy streetlights ftw.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 pm

I wonder if the runaway fiancé will be a future plot thing.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am
mistersaxon wrote:
I had the urge to tell you as well but supressed it. Usually doesn't go over well...
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
A little bit of crazy under that sweet looking exterior.
This *is* the woman who drove a car at a mech. While being shot at. Teh crazy/brave tendency has been noted and has my total approval.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun May 17, 2020 2:54 am

paarfi wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 pm
I wonder if the runaway fiancé will be a future plot thing.
We will note this question and remind you of it when she becomes important to the subplot involving Yaku and her new girlfriend, who is the cousin of the long-lost fiance and desperately needs to locate her because she needs her to donate her kidney. All of this will come out starting in comic 2674.
SpoilerShow
(so totally kidding)

darrin

Post by darrin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am
mistersaxon wrote:
Especially since what it's French for is "false step". ;)

And I did assume the misspelling was intentional - I tend to like to throw those out myself to see who's paying attention. :roll: But now I think about it I really like the "foe pa" variant - sort of a "No Luke, I am your father" bit, a mistake that uncovers a significant plot twist. 8-)

Technetium

Post by Technetium » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 pm

I have been following this comic since a long time ago and I intend to continue to do so, but I have to warn that this post is going to be very critical of the story right now.

I don't care about these two characters.

When you tell a story, you have main characters, secondary characters (not the main focus but have direct link to a main character and can rarely become a temporary focus of the story), and tertiary characters (characters who aren't important except to fill in gaps, we don't need to know anything about them beyond their brief interactions with main and secondary characters).

Neither of the characters in this panel are important and we don't need this kind of exposition on them. Basically there has been nobody important in the comic for the past 6 or 7 panels at least. What is this comic even about anymore? I don't know. I just can't follow where this is going right now and it seems really aimless. I'm holding out hope that this comic will one day get back to the actual story involving Piro, Largo, Kimiko, Erika, and Miho.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 am

Technetium wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 pm
I have been following this comic since a long time ago and I intend to continue to do so, but I have to warn that this post is going to be very critical of the story right now.

When you tell a story, you have main characters, secondary characters (not the main focus but have direct link to a main character and can rarely become a temporary focus of the story), and tertiary characters (characters who aren't important except to fill in gaps, we don't need to know anything about them beyond their brief interactions with main and secondary characters).

Neither of the characters in this panel are important and we don't need this kind of exposition on them. Basically there has been nobody important in the comic for the past 6 or 7 panels at least. What is this comic even about anymore? I don't know. I just can't follow where this is going right now and it seems really aimless. I'm holding out hope that this comic will one day get back to the actual story involving Piro, Largo, Kimiko, Erika, and Miho.
It's perfectly OK not to care about some characters in a story. However, please do not presume that either of these characters is not important. Leaving the new chap aside, Megumi has been interacting with the main characters quite a lot. Her actions have changed outcomes (car scene comes to mind as an example). Additionally, if Invisigoth and I are correct about her being a Nine-Tail, should she manifest she will likely become one of the main characters, if perhaps only for a brief time. Anything she does after manifesting could have devastating effects on the city as she becomes one of if not THE most powerful entity in Megatokyo. There have been so many visual hints about her being a Nine-Tail that at this point, it would require a serious retcon to make it all go away. I doubt our author is going to ignore all these hints he has been dropping. Although, from what others have said here in the past, he might try to throw a serious curve-ball at us.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 am

Technetium wrote:

Ugh

oh nevermind just hide and watch

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 pm

While there are "main" characters there is no such thing as an unimportant side character. Even Miho was a side character once, and the only main ones were Piro and Largo. You never know what a side character might become. The complexity is one of the things I love about this comic.

piro
The Artist

Post by piro » Mon May 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Technetium wrote:
Who said i'm telling a story?

Actually, you'd be surprised just how important what is happening right now is going to be to some of these 'main characters' you seem to think are more important in the near future. Sorry of the threads of all this go a long way out and twist in odd ways.

Also, ive said it before, i do not believe in ANY of the tennents of 'story telling'. Not a single one (i dont even know most of them :P) This has all jsut been a brain dump for 20 years, nothing more. I don't believe in 'main characters' and 'sub characters' and 'side stories'. Everything and everyone is important. a 'story' is just about where you might be focusing at the moment, that's all. :)

fred

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Mamma Peach wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 pm
there is no such thing as an unimportant side character
Well, I would at least qualify that to say it depends on the skill of the author. For the best authors it's absolutely true that they can give so-called characters as much life as the "main" ones, and of course for them there are none that are really "unimportant". (It's the "character" version of the old Checkhov's Gun trope -- if the character were "unimportant" why did the author bother writing about them?)

I get that different characters (and different authors) appeal differently to different folks, so it's certainly not my place to tell Technetium they're wrong not to "care" about these characters. But from what I've seen in at least the forums (old and new) over the years, Fred's ability to give so many characters so much depth was something the majority of the fans gave high praise for (and that's definitely an opinion I have always shared). So calling these two "unimportant" is for my money in a different class from just saying you don't care about them: it's a pretty big divergence from the general opinion of the majority of the fanbase. (Okay the new guy it is much too early to tell maybe; after literally two strips he might not end up doing anything comic-shattering. But Megumi has been in since the beginning; given all she's done over the years I'd have a hard time agreeing with someone calling her "unimportant".)

Was Ghan-Buri-Ghan "important" in Lord of the Rings?