[1576] couldn't help it

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1576] couldn't help it

Post by paarfi » Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1576] couldn't help it

Post by Invisigoth » Wed May 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Well...that certainly escalated quickly

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Thu May 07, 2020 12:10 pm

So, Ashe knows how to speak. I do recall that they taught classes for deaf people on how to speak despite their disability (and I encounter many of those at work; it's a recent addition).

That aside, I'm betting that Ashe is a bit shocked, even if she might know partially what's going on (from whatever information her lip reading ability might have gathered.

Alternatively, she might be puzzled because she's operating on limited information and doesn't have enough of a clue as to what's going on.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm

Seems like a "maybe this guy is all right". I hope it works out for them. I like moustache guy too.

Also, Fred is starting to spend more time on the Megatokyo Discord. Y'all are more than welcome to join.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm

I like that it escalated quickly. It allowed the misunderstanding to be solved quickly, too.

Now this is more like it, Megumi. He actually knows how to express respect.

I hope he’s a good guy for real.

=)

Thanks for this new page, Fred!
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Thu May 07, 2020 2:30 pm

So, she really was on the verge of pulling a "Gogo Yubari" (without actually killing someone) and then he said all the right things. Hmmm, I hope this chap is the type that can give her the companionship that she seems to be looking for.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm
Seems like a "maybe this guy is all right". I hope it works out for them. I like moustache guy too.

Also, Fred is starting to spend more time on the Megatokyo Discord. Y'all are more than welcome to join.
I've been there. It's almost like the old forums. This is encouraging.

That aside...

BetaCygnus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm
I like that it escalated quickly. It allowed the misunderstanding to be solved quickly, too.
Save for the fact that Ashe doesn't completely have the necessary clues to figure things out.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 pm
paarfi wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm

I've been there. It's almost like the old forums. This is encouraging.

That aside...

BetaCygnus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:36 pm
Save for the fact that Ashe doesn't completely have the necessary clues to figure things out.
If what we surmise about Megumi's luck is true, Ashe will panic, tackle the guy, and give him whiplash, so Megumi *doesn't* get a BF and *does* have to visit him in the hospital.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu May 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:41 pm
Yeah, that's the key thing here, I think. Ashe couldn't really see Megumi speaking, and I don't know how well she could read lips on teh guys.

Hecatombe

Post by Hecatombe » Thu May 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Same, Ashe, same.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Last thread I asked if this were some relation of Yutaka (shy guy caught in the act must run in the family). Then last night something even more left field hit me...

Could this be Hitoshi? We only ever got Erika's side of that story (including Kimiko's filtered version of it to Piro). Granted even under the most generous interpretation, "too scared to stick around with Erika" doesn't say much for him.

But on the other hand, Megatokyo is chock full of folks who are chock full of regrets over various aspects of their pasts. His knowing he "done a girl wrong", and wishing for a way to make up for that, would explain his ears pricking up at the sound of a young lady in distress, as well as his terror and chagrin at getting caught in the act.

At the very least it'd be interesting to get his side of the story (well I'd be interested anyway :cry:).
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu May 07, 2020 8:20 pm

darrin wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm
Could this be Hitoshi?
It's an interesting idea, but I think Masamich already ruled that out in [604].
He's doing well. Last year he took a management position with a new company, so he's been busy. And... he got married. Nice girl. Also an engineer. He seems happy

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu May 07, 2020 10:14 pm

Salaryman getting drunk in a bar with a coworker friend. It does not seem to be a pick up angle unless he and his friend are extremely well rehearsed in the confidence game. Seems to pat for it to be Hitoshi in the midst of a separation or divorce. Most likely he is a nameless (for now) salaryman trying to drink his troubles away after a long work week. A walk (on the wild side) would be nice.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Thu May 07, 2020 10:29 pm

Personaly, I'd prefer it if he's an entirely new character. Not everything needs to tie back to everything else. If I had to guess his trouble is most likely a false partner than anything else. His friend is a bit to cavalier for it to be something more serious.

I'm thinking they're going to have a nice walk, talk about the things that are ailing them and make plans to get together again soon, and things develop from there.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri May 08, 2020 3:52 am

To me, he sort of looks like the bloodline-or-associate of Dr Gero, Ping's creator; just spent a super hard part of the day at work, because Professor brought new and interesting data in, that just had to be processed right-effin-now. He's seen his apartment / house only briefly for the last couple of weeks (they have telemetry in Ping, that neither Ping or Largo doesn't know about and it's bringing data in all the time, basically a spy module, doesn't provide voice or internet service to Ping, just telemetry and video/stills). He's at the 'life is hell' stage of career, probably. With the 'bonus' of somebody recently left him because of that. Also has some kind of klang to his accent (although can't say if it's just drunkenness right now) he might not be local.

Beauty of a page, Fred, as usual :) thank you.

So at the end of today in the comic, every relevant character, one way or another, ends up in bed with someone. Can't wait for the developments ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 am

They will take a walk and get some fresh air and ....oh! There's The Foxhole!!! Let's go in!!!!!

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 am

And have a run-in with Piro x Kimi in the corridor... and it'll come out that he's Kimi's ex? That couldn't stand the heat? The plot thickens...

Or, he's working with Kimi at Lockart, or he's one of the art guys that gonna go replaced by Piro? This just suddenly got darker...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Voyager wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:29 pm
Personaly, I'd prefer it if he's an entirely new character. Not everything needs to tie back to everything else. If I had to guess his trouble is most likely a false partner than anything else. His friend is a bit to cavalier for it to be something more serious.

I'm thinking they're going to have a nice walk, talk about the things that are ailing them and make plans to get together again soon, and things develop from there.
I'm concerned that we are seeing too many new characters. I would like to see the story end during Fred's lifetime, and towards the end of a work the focus would normally be on resolving what has already been set up rather than going all soap opera with new characters popping up every episode. I hope I'm wrong and Fred has it under control.

The F-bomb surprised me. I thought it was the first, but no - that was in [1485] and we've had a couple since.

Peeping Tom's accent has similarities to Mugi. He also seems to have a bit of backbone to be walking out with Megumi after that conversation.

Having heard a few deaf people try to talk I think Fred has nailed it for Ashe.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri May 08, 2020 1:44 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Masamich already ruled that out
Whoops, totally forgot about Hitoshi remarrying, thanks. Never mind. (Been a while since I reread the whole comic, I must be due for a refresh. :?)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

cidjen wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 am
And have a run-in with Piro x Kimi in the corridor... and it'll come out that he's Kimi's ex? That couldn't stand the heat? The plot thickens...

Or, he's working with Kimi at Lockart, or he's one of the art guys that gonna go replaced by Piro? This just suddenly got darker...
I think that Megu knows all of Kimi's ex's

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Fri May 08, 2020 2:51 pm

cidjen wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 am

Or there will be a scene change and he will never be seen again and this incident will never be mentioned again.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:51 pm
Or there will be a scene change and he will never be seen again and this incident will never be mentioned again.
I think that's unlikely. Fred's plotting us usually pretty tight. Scene change - yes; throwaway - no.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm concerned that we are seeing too many new characters. I would like to see the story end during Fred's lifetime, and towards the end of a work the focus would normally be on resolving what has already been set up rather than going all soap opera with new characters popping up every episode. I hope I'm wrong and Fred has it under control.
I mean, it’s not quite a George R.R. Martin situation, but you have a good point. It’s been a couple of months since there was talk of winding down this chapter and we’re evidently not there yet.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm
Voyager wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:29 pm
Personaly, I'd prefer it if he's an entirely new character. Not everything needs to tie back to everything else. [...]
[...]

[...]
I'm not sure he needs to thoroughly resolve their arc to meet the needs for the main story arc. This could simply be an off ramp for Megumi from most of the story; she's found a nice guy and is spending most of her free time with him, and is in a generally much happier place, but becomes more distant from the central story arc.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:52 am

Yes. It wasn't a particular concern about this guy, more a general observation. Any character might just fade out. That's up to the storyteller. Nonetheless each minor character will normally have some clear reason for emerging from the crowd, and there will be comic space needed to clarify that.

In particular, Fred does a great job of showing the minor characters have a life and a sense of purpose, so this is more significant here than in would be for someone else. For example James Herbert regularly gives you just enough introduction to a character that you can get upset when they die horribly.

What I was trying to point out as the number of characters increases, the further we are from an overall resolution. Given that we are 15 chapters in, I am worried that the end is receding rather than approaching.