[1568] making it up

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1568] making it up

Post by paarfi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

jkhartl

Re: [1568] making it up

Post by jkhartl » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Looks like Erika has a good grip on how to handle Largo.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:04 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 pm
Looks like Erika has a good grip on how to handle Largo.
That's a pretty accurate assessment, Yaku is effectively neutralized though I'll admit that I would be too if Miho skritched my hair

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Interesting.

I suppose Miho hasn't talked to Moeko, though we have seen the other way around [1541].

We already knew that Miho didn't like her Story and is afraid because Piro's pacemaker changed it and now she doesn't know what'll happen. But I imagine it's important that now Erika knows that too.

It is new, I think, that Miho had been trying to make her story in Girl Phase different. Was this one of her failed attempts to break free from her Story? I think we know those always ended badly for her, so I wonder if her efforts with Erika's horde after Erika quit were related [800]. I keep thinking the backstory from that time is going to be important, and maybe that'll come out now that Miho and Erika are talking like this.

Also, Largo should be strangled more often. :P

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:53 pm

paarfi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Interesting.

I suppose Miho hasn't talked to Moeko, though we have seen the other way around [1541].

We already knew that Miho didn't like her Story and is afraid because Piro's pacemaker changed it and now she doesn't know what'll happen. But I imagine it's important that now Erika knows that too.

It is new, I think, that Miho had been trying to make her story in Girl Phase different. Was this one of her failed attempts to break free from her Story? I think we know those always ended badly for her, so I wonder if her efforts with Erika's horde after Erika quit were related [800]. I keep thinking the backstory from that time is going to be important, and maybe that'll come out now that Miho and Erika are talking like this.

I'll drink to that!

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am

Yay comic :) thank you Fred, for the page :)

That phrase 'because you don't have a voice with her', is this some kind of idiom? Sorry my english / american idioms are not as fresh as I'd like...

So Miho still doesn't trust Erika enough to explain more than that...

(ahm sorry, I am just about on translation of the lively-girl-lost-at-sea-gone-pirate-queen-fallen-sick-returned-home-killed-friends-died-sick-of-it outburst Miho gave to Kimiko so ahm sorta fresh on this one)

Side remark, was it all-right for Largo to run his mouth and tell Miho that Piro broke his face FOR HER? I've a funny feeling, this might have some actual consequences... this was the longest I think I saw Miho so dumbfounded over what Piro did. Is Miho going to actually go talk with Piro at the Foxhole? I think she's reconsidering that choice. However, also, Kimiko's body-shuffle seems to have worked, the Horde and Stability hasn't caught wind of Miho yet even though she's returned to the hospital.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 am

cidjen wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am
That phrase 'because you don't have a voice with her', is this some kind of idiom? Sorry my english / american idioms are not as fresh as I'd like...
No, it's literal. In Girl Phase, Miho's character "never says a word". [1562]
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am

paarfi wrote:
To add to this thought. I wonder if the way Erika quit and GirlPhase ended early was due to the Story pushing back on Miho's attempts to change how her character's story went. Miho's Story does seem to have the power to influence events to keep things on track like that.

edit to add:
To take that even a step further, I wonder if Miho would see that as making her somewhat responsible for Erika's meltdown. We've seen from her origin story how her pirate friends got hung because of her Story [1405]. I wonder if that's part of why she's grown so gun-shy and scared about fighting the Story, even though she hates it so much. It's not just that she's failed every time so far when she's fought it; it's that other people got hurt in the process. That might help explain why Piro's pacemaker freaked her out so very much.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:26 pm

I think that Stability overstepped their bounds when they directly placed Miho's character and thus Miho directly into Girl Phase with no buffering Magical Girl nor a VA to give her a voice.

Perhaps the meddling had some influence on what happened to Erika though just as likely it isn't.

So, Miho looks around and sees that Moeko upon whom the story is loosely based is in a coma and out of the picture and unable to interfere and Erika has abandoned the project. So, Miho effectively sees no one at the steering wheel on the bus they're making her ride, figuratively speaking.

Miho thought that she could give it a spin on her own but that worked out badly for her and Stability as well

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 am
it's literal. In Girl Phase, Miho's character "never says a word".
I thought, it would be too _simple_ to just 'be literal' like that ;) but thanks.
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:26 pm
Perhaps the meddling had some influence on what happened to Erika though just as likely it isn't.
I gather someone mixed in a silent character into the anime that later got discontinued, born from 'data remanence'... if it was already 'digital' , some file ... erm, misfile... copied Miho's character design into wrong folder? it got approved because of deadlines, but then phased out (haha, girl phase_d)...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Now I'm wondering if Stability was behind Erica's breakup.

Miho gets involved in Girl Phase in a way that lets her re-tell her story. Stability sees this as a threat, with someone as powerful as Miho changing her story. So Stability decides to derail Girl Phase by wrecking Erica's life.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Ooooooh... Luminaut++ :) This is brilliant!

Maybe it was the 'foxy' writers' helper (or... lover...?), that made/wrote Miho into that story, like, wrote her backstory and it was ready to be included in the anime but then ... something happened ? Or someone caught a whiff of that and put an end to it?
(1356), panel 4, Komugiko: wrote: <O'course we try ta make her story better where we can. Sometimes we cheat a'lil, get creative 'ere 'n dere, but overall we can't change any o' her choices.>
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm thinking that Stability was proactive in an attempt to tap the power of Miho's story. They'd thought that they'd have her contained because of the power of Erika but Masamichi's idiot brother screwed that up for them. Miho wasn't able to attempt anything until Erika walked off.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm

With 'good chaos' (kitsune) helping the 'bad chaos' (Miho) to 'cheat a little' and rewrite her story, stability (no matter what flavor) had no choice but intervene and cull their attempt to rewrite Miho's story ("can't have stories doing whatever they want" --- Ninja Grandma aka 'questionable stability') - 'good' stability (Masamichi) might have been apologetic and not even known about, but someone might have inspired his brother to do that... what if, it was his superiors (or as indicated above, an independent (neutral?) Stability organization, like the Ninjas). They sacrificed the powerful Good story of a Magical Girl, to not become raided by the fans of the Bad Magical Girl... because it's the clashes between Good and Bad that makes Stability cringe... I think it makes sense that way (of sorts).
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:15 pm

As usual, I have nothing as profound as any of the above to add.

So I’ll just pop up and say, “Thanks Fred, for this awesome new page! Some great new facial expressions for Erika here! (p. 4 & 7)”

</popup>
Last edited by BetaCygnus on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:32 pm
I'm thinking that Stability was proactive in an attempt to tap the power of Miho's story.
I dunno. Stability seems more interested in keeping things ... stable. They don't really need to risk tapping Miho's power. They have plenty already, and seem to half run the government too. They just need to keep the stories coming and keep the hordes from rioting. Opiate of the masses, and all that. They set up the notspital to keep the Character Analogues semi-sane and at work. They keep the stories coming. And if anything looks like it's getting out of line (like Miho lately), they bring in the heavies to clean it up. They just need enough power to keep it all running smoothly.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 pm

Rip Largo...

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 pm

paarfi wrote:
Clearly Erika is much better at handling small children than Hitoshi led his brother to believe.

"That's it, young man, no more oxygen for you! You're in a time out!"
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 pm

So, I guess Stability screwed things up, Miho tried to yank it back over to something better but failed, and then Piro's well-intended actions may or may not have screwed it up even further, but definitely changed it, and now Moeko sends Erika to try to fix things since Miho has no idea what's about to happen, and she's scared just like a lot of people who are afraid of the future because they're afraid of what they don't know.

In general terms, Miho is letting fear dictate her emotions and thus her life. She needs a way to overcome the fear. In this case, it's going to mean trusting someone, something that she isn't inclined to do because of that fear. Right now, however, here's that opportunity, now that Yaku and Erika are present at the same time. All that's needed are Piro and Kimiko to carry out whatever plan they can hatch.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 am

paarfi wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am
paarfi wrote:
To add to this thought. I wonder if the way Erika quit and GirlPhase ended early was due to the Story pushing back on Miho's attempts to change how her character's story went. Miho's Story does seem to have the power to influence events to keep things on track like that.

edit to add:
To take that even a step further, I wonder if Miho would see that as making her somewhat responsible for Erika's meltdown. We've seen from her origin story how her pirate friends got hung because of her Story [1405]. I wonder if that's part of why she's grown so gun-shy and scared about fighting the Story, even though she hates it so much. It's not just that she's failed every time so far when she's fought it; it's that other people got hurt in the process. That might help explain why Piro's pacemaker freaked her out so very much.
You might have something regarding Girl Phase and Erika, but you're probably overthinking it with the last bit. I had a friend go through this. I can assure you that you don't need to have a 200-year-old overarching story in order to freak out when you wake up and find out that you've had a computerized metronome implanted in you to keep you alive.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 pm
paarfi wrote:
Clearly Erika is much better at handling small children than Hitoshi led his brother to believe.

"That's it, young man, no more oxygen for you! You're in a time out!"
Erika's even better than duck tape at handling kids!

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 am

Largo is being choked to death by Moerika... :(
I do not trust the words of foul Miho. She is a deceiver.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:37 am

@Teddy, Miho can't help but be wary of peoples' motives. Unless it's someone who was supposed to give 'her' voice (Kimi).
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 am

Miho wrote:I don't know what's going to happen because it hasn't happened to me yet.
You and me both, lady.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Was Yaku drooling in the second last panel? If so, I wonder if that was from being scritched. Maybe fox girls like that sort of thing. I wouldn't want to see anyone try it on the deaf girl though. I suspect the person attempting it would lose an arm or two.