[1567] "that explains a few things"

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Roamer

[1567] "that explains a few things"

Post by Roamer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: [1567] "that explains a few things"

Post by paarfi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 am

Interesting.

Erika points out that "a lot of people REALLY love [Miho]'s character". Erika means the Girl Phase character specifically, but we know that applies in a larger sense to Miho's overall problem. Erika will quite naturally understand how the real Miho is different from her character (even if the fans do not), because Erika struggled with the same problem.

We knew Moeko wanted Erika to help Miho, but now Miho knows too. I wonder how she'll react to that. Maybe she feels like the pacemaker was crossing the Rubicon, and there's no turning back to her old ways. Maybe she's ready to accept some help.

Erika says that "Moe-bo didn't think [Miho] was evil. She thought she needed help." That would be in Girl Phase, but again it carries over. I wonder if that's why Miho got so involved when Erika quit Girl Phase [799]. It wasn't just another tragic dying role. Someone understood and wanted to help. Even if it was just in a story, stories are a big part of Miho's issues.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 am

A non speaking “bad magical girl” would create a serious issue for Stability since there is no Idol to use to control the population. I’m interested to see how that played out

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 am
A non speaking “bad magical girl” would create a serious issue for Stability since there is no Idol to use to control the population. I’m interested to see how that played out
I don't know why it hadn't registered with me that she was non-speaking in Girl Phase, but Moeko says "she doesn't have a voice" in [1562]. I guess I was thinking that meant something more metaphorical.

Not having an Idol for that character may have created a more direct link to Miho than usual. That too might explain Miho's more direct involvement when Erika quit, and (as vis points out) might have created larger issues for Stability. Interesting.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:22 pm

To be fair to Largo, I think that's about on par with how someone would react to suddenly having someone like Yaku yelling at them.....
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:05 pm

HakuRyoku wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:22 pm
To be fair to Largo, I think that's about on par with how someone would react to suddenly having someone like Yaku yelling at them.....
One should never be fair to Largo, he doesn't expect it so it isn't necessary

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Thank you for the page, Fred :) it's awesome.

So this sort-of disproves the (my) guess of Moeko's and Miho's life being two different stages of the same story, given and sustained life by two different kinds of fans.

Maybe Miho somehow wasn't originally planned to appear in Moeko's story? Like, idk, some pages from another manga were mixed together and the editor initially approved - but then was deleted without an explanation. Or the writer/artist wanted to spice things up before next contest in his magazine, but then was told not to continue... Because that new character was too dark... Possibly after being initially prepared to be in the anime ( which unexpectedly ended) - explains the ' remanence' mention.
( Gah, sorry for too many Bakuman references lol.)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Consider https://megatokyo.com/strip/1113 where Moe-bo finds out that she doesn't need to transform to use her powers. This is Miho's favorite episode.

I have a theory that Stability deliberately inserted Miho, as a CA, into the story with no Idol believing that they'd be able to further subjugate her in order to use her powers. And that may well have worked if Sonada Hitoshi hadn't been a total butthead to Erika and disrupting the experiment.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Yay! New page — thanks for this great turn, Fred!!!

Haha, I cracked up at — ‘He’s always like this.’ LOL!!!
I wonder if it’ll settle Yakugashi, but the sarcasm in Largo’s direction is simply wonderful! =D

Nicely done. Again. I’m looking forward to how Erika/Moe is/are going to help Miho.

=)

Oh yeah, I wondered. Largo is usually very perceptive to detail in the MT realm. I don’t quite understand why his observation is suddenly sloppy — calling a foxgirl ‘a catgirl’? I would usually expect him to be more exact… But maybe he is too much focused on Miho right there, I don’t know. =?
He did the same in [1366], I now remember, in that showdown with Mugi. But why does he do it? Is it a deliberate expression of his disdain for them? =?
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:34 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 pm

I wonder if it’ll settle Yakugashi, but the sarcasm in Largo’s direction is simply wonderful! =D

Nicely done. Again. I’m looking forward to how Erika/Moe is/are going to help Miho.

=)

Oh yeah, I wondered. Largo is usually very perceptive to detail in the MT realm. I don’t quite understand why his observation is suddenly sloppy — calling a foxgirl ‘a catgirl’? I would usually expect him to be more exact… But maybe he is too much focused on Miho right there, I don’t know. =?
He did the same in [1366], I now remember, in that showdown with Mugi. But why does he do it? Is it a deliberate expression of his disdain for them? =?
Erm...Largo's exceptional insight is mostly Fanon. He's pretty good but frequently it's all down to the RNG rolling favorably for him
SpoilerShow
RNG = Random Number Gawd or dumb luck

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:34 pm
BetaCygnus wrote:

=)

Erm...Largo's exceptional insight is mostly Fanon. He's pretty good but frequently it's all down to the RNG rolling favourably for him
SpoilerShow
RNG = Random Number Gawd or dumb luck
To be fair, I don't think Largo understands the difference between a
'catgirl', and a "foxgirl". Also, I think his perspective is sometimes questionable different to what the others are.

~shadowrider
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:05 pm

He is consistent in that he called Mugi a catgrrl, too.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:20 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
I’m looking forward to how Erika/Moe is/are going to help Miho.
I have a feeling ( looking at the last panel) that Mihos 'full banshee mode' could be making a comeback. Largo may be already noticing his ' 1337 senses ' tingling' (but he is too absorbed understanding the sudden furry / fury in front of him). Remember the animosity Moeko was showing towards her in [1541] ? This is something no one understands (or so Miho thinks) and a great outburst like [1403 to 1407] may be coming. But Erika was actually playing Mihos rival ( enemy) character so Mini might not be in mood to explain this to her the way she did to Kimiko. I hope i'm wrong here...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am

It's my impression that Largo has a prejudice against the kind of "weepy" anime and manga that Piro likes. It's almost as if he considers his FPS stuff to be directly opposite to the kind of "emotional" stuff that Piro likes. This would include the memes of cat girls and fox girls which often show up in the "weepy" works. I don't think that it's a lack of perception that has Largo making this constant mistake of calling Mugi and Yaku "catgrrls". I think it's his overwhelming bias which is causing him to be willfully blind to the differences.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys! =)

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Largo is right.
Moerika is definitely is definitely suspect in all things.
I sense a coming confrontation.
The eyes... look at the eyes.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:52 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm
Largo is right.
Largo is whipped so he'll do as he's told
Should Miho go full banshee then perhaps she'll keen for his lost manhood....

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Largo is right.
The interesting thing to me is that Miho's eyes get like that when Erika is saying sympathetic things about her and seem more directed towards Erika than Largo. This leaves me with two notions that I will toss into the pot.

1. Miho herself agrees somewhat with Largo's assessment of who she has been and wants little truck with
anyone who might view her career in a positive light.
2. She regards Largo as one of the saner and more pleasant people in her life. (Please do not laugh at this one. Feel free to shudder but do not laugh!).

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 am

Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:29 am
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Largo is right.
The interesting thing to me is that Miho's eyes get like that when Erika is saying sympathetic things about her and seem more directed towards Erika than Largo. This leaves me with two notions that I will toss into the pot.

1. Miho herself agrees somewhat with Largo's assessment of who she has been and wants little truck with
anyone who might view her career in a positive light.
2. She regards Largo as one of the saner and more pleasant people in her life. (Please do not laugh at this one. Feel free to shudder but do not laugh!).
Amazing, everything that you have said is wrong.

Miho views "help" and "saving" as being euphemisms for her enslavement and subjugation. She no more wants things like the ASF and "help" than her Irish ancestors wanted their Norman conquerors to "help" them.

She's fully aware of what Largo is and excuses his buffoonery and rightfully pities him most of the time when he's not being a colossal assclown and shotgunning her expensive Scotch when she's trying to reach a truce with him.

Maybe a more current example would be the horse tribes of the Great Plains being put on reservations and expected to learn to be good, honest row crop farmers. They should let Miho be

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 am
She's fully aware of what Largo is and excuses his buffoonery and rightfully pities him most of the time when he's not being a colossal assclown and shotgunning her expensive Scotch when she's trying to reach a truce with him.

Maybe a more current example would be the horse tribes of the Great Plains being put on reservations and expected to learn to be good, honest row crop farmers. They should let Miho be
Thanks for this outstanding description of a recent, non pleasant situation in my own life, Invisigoth.

=)

I guess there can be situations in which we need friends to step in and help us though we do not want them to — but friends should not interfere when they do not have the decency to assess the actual situation first — and fail to ask permission to interfere before stepping in… and fail to accept a failure and step back when you try to tell them in several different ways that they’re wrong…

I do not know which is which in Miho’s case… I don't understand MT well enough, I’m afraid.

But thanks a ton for your excellent wording of that situation! It seems there are still people who actually understand the possibility…

Personally I think I would opt to let all well- or ill-intended interference-so-far play out on its own, following Meimi’s reflection in 1299. =)

But then, the story wouldn’t be half as exciting… =/

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:55 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks for this outstanding description of a recent, non pleasant situation in my own life, Invisigoth.

=)

I guess there can be situations in which we need friends to step in and help us though we do not want them to — but friends should not interfere when they do not have the decency to assess the actual situation first — and fail to ask permission to interfere before stepping in… and fail to accept a failure and step back when you try to tell them in several different ways that they’re wrong…

I do not know which is which in Miho’s case… I don't understand MT well enough, I’m afraid.

But thanks a ton for your excellent wording of that situation! It seems there are still people who actually understand the possibility…

Personally I think I would opt to let all well- or ill-intended interference-so-far play out on its own, following Meimi’s reflection in 1299. =)

But then, the story wouldn’t be half as exciting… =/
I'm very sorry that the situation I described applies to your something in your own life, BetaCygnus. I do hope that you can resolve whatever is happening.

I suspect that Erika acting on behalf of Moeko and bearing the wand is practically an unstoppable force and Miho knows that she'll have to ride this one out while if at all possible refraining from getting Erika or Largo killed in the process.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:47 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:52 am
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Largo is right.
Largo is whipped so he'll do as he's told
Should Miho go full banshee then perhaps she'll keen for his lost manhood....
It's not often you say something so clearly silly, IG. Sarcasm, maybe? Largo will argue with anyone. He'll support Erika, but if he thinks she's wrong, he'll damn well say so. As for Largo's inability to tell catgirls from foxgirls, I don't get any sense that he's ever been a student of history or mythology. But he's got good instincts. He's reacting properly (for him) to having pissed off a two-tail kitsune, even though he doesn't know enough to understand why. At least it's not her grandmother.

I agree with cidjen about the possibility of Banshee mode *maybe* returning. Miho isn't used to being this exposed, it's been a very long time, and when it's happened in the past it did not go well. She might erupt just because the memories are overwhelming and it's just been that bad a day. If she doesn't, then it's at least in part likely due to the fact that she just can't sustain that level of outburst physically after her collapse earlier.

Can she bring herself to trust Erika? The fact that she's been talking to Moeko helps, on one level. Her past hurts on more than one. If she can actually convince Largo, of all people, to help her, that will likely be the deciding factor. It would mean a lot more than Piro's doing it. Of course, that doesn't mean she'll actually turn her back on him, or should.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 am

Dang Roamer do you have any idea of how many people totally miss what I intend as blatant sarcasm?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Well the dynamic is interesting because while Moeko is what we perceive 'good' side, she's rather chaotic 'good chaos'… while Miho being her rival would be 'bad chaos'. 'Good' Stability (Masamichi) clearly has a problem with both (controlling Mihos respawn points like, the ASF And keeping tabs on Moeko with a sensor filled room and feeding her fairy tales about what she could have been (the anime)).

So I suppose more can be done through Kimiko actually helping Miho than Erika telling her that Moeko wanted to help or even actually offering help. Even if that help equals to Kimi mediating with Erika, and using what Erika provided. But I guess first some trust will need to be rebuilt between Kimi and Miho (as Kimi and Piro are having an exercise in ... trust building ... as we speak) and Piro will have to make the actual choice... It won't happen without both Piro and Kimiko being included in the picture. And the choice will be something we all have missed ;)
Sounds like Piro and Kimiko will still need to draw and give voice to more than they thought they have to.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 am
Dang Roamer do you have any idea of how many people totally miss what I intend as blatant sarcasm?
I work in IT operations. I *always* verify that it's sarcasm.