[1566] Your name

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1566] Your name

Post by paarfi » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1566] Your name

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm

There is a LOT to unpack with this strip. Waiting for Yaku to shred Largo and Erika in the next few strips

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Panicked Yaku is still adorable (panel 3).

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 am

Erika is pretty perceptive here, though she has the clues to do it. She already knew anime magical girls were (at least sometimes) based on real life because of Meimi. She hadn't known that applied to "her" magical girl until Ririka told her about the real Moeko [1500]. But now she does, and she's made the next logical leap to connect the real Miho with the Irish bad magical girl Miho from Girl Phase. Pretty smart of her.

Miho is totally off her stride. Her endless cycle of dying tragically for the enjoyment of others totally sucked, but it was the suck she knew. Now Piro got her a pacemaker to stop the dying; she promised Yaku (and Moeko) that she wouldn't die; Piro broke his best friend's nose over her; and Erika has made the connection between her and one of her characters. Everything is so different.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:16 am

Thank you, Fred, for the food^Wpage! :)

So Miho had no idea that a) Mugi really was in hospital (prev page) and that b) Piro was able to do that to his (best) friend. OK she also had no idea that c) he COULD have tried to save her at the school [about 200 pages ago, I'm close to be translating that].

Gives a new perspective on 'I'm good at stupid', eh?

BTW, does Erika not remember her from being rescued from the rubble of The Cave? Or was that so out-of-character? mm. The Magic Ribbon is not there and the Magic Hair is long. Just as it was in 1266. Coincidence...?

Oh and! here is the Little Memory Leak / Data Remanence looks like explained... Miho was cut out of the anime? but the story had her included. That was enough to still give her life... but now her life goes on unchecked because nobody has an idea what it's supposed to be?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am

In all fairness Erika was cuddling Ping while Largo fought with Ed during a great deal of the CoE incident

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Wait, Erika doesn't know Miho? I thought they had already met. And she doesn't recognize Yaku? I am confused, might have to do an archive dive, it is about due anyway.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Roborat wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm
Wait, Erika doesn't know Miho? I thought they had already met. And she doesn't recognize Yaku? I am confused, might have to do an archive dive, it is about due anyway.
Erika knows Miho In The School Uniform, that is, the Transfer Student.
They were introduced back way before the Piro x Kimi Train Crash, before Yuki learned she's magical.

It's an example of Miho's Reception Deception Field - Erika did not make this connection back after The Rickroll, when they met previously, only now.

Yaku did not come into contact with Erika as far as I remember. It was Kimi who thought You is Mugi at the hospital, at the start of this chapter.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm

cidjen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm
They were introduced back way before the Piro x Kimi Train Crash, before Yuki learned she's magical.
Links for reference: Erika is referring to the conversation she had with Miho and Masamichi in [800]. As cidjen pointed out, Erika and Miho were also both at the CoE for Largo's RickRoll [1260], but it was a big crowd and they were both a little busy.

I think cidjen is right that this is the first time Erika and Yaku have met.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 pm

paarfi wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm
As cidjen pointed out, Erika and Miho were also both at the CoE for Largo's RickRoll [1260], but it was a big crowd and they were both a little busy.
They rode the train together afterwards too but still, Erika did not connect the dots then. And Largo did not hint that he knew Miho.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 pm

So, basically, they planned to write Miho out because she didn't fit the mold of the "Magical Girl" or the idea just wasn't working. Now's the opportunity to give her a better ending. Perhaps one in which she survives, or she ends up redeeming herself (the two are not mutually exclusive).
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Miho and Erika also met and spoke at the end of Kimiko's event at the Animate store just before Ed smoked Miho. 1113-1115 1124.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Of course Moerika recognizes Miho! She is the bad girl of the show, er IRL Megatokyo, and she is teh 3vil! "Hangin's to good fer her, burnin's too good fer her, she should be chopped up into itty bitty pieces, and buried alive!"

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:34 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm
There is a LOT to unpack with this strip. Waiting for Yaku to shred Largo and Erika in the next few strips
Somehow, I doubt that is going to happen, Invisigoth. Look at Yaku's face in panel 3. That, to me, is the look of terror. She is terrified of either Largo or Erika or perhaps both. I suspect mostly it's Erika. Being a Kitsune, Yaku might be able to sense the power in other special individuals. Powered up with that wand, Erika might seem to be something that little Yaku is just not ready to deal with at this point in time.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:13 am

Eraden wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:34 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 pm
Somehow, I doubt that is going to happen, Invisigoth. Look at Yaku's face in panel 3. That, to me, is the look of terror. She is terrified of either Largo or Erika or perhaps both. I suspect mostly it's Erika. Being a Kitsune, Yaku might be able to sense the power in other special individuals. Powered up with that wand, Erika might seem to be something that little Yaku is just not ready to deal with at this point in time.
Maybe, but consider we didn't see her face at all in the last comic. It's at least as likely that she was terrified of the Ninja, or of Miho's ability to flatten all the ninja, or - most likely - of the consequences to Miho for doing so (it can be pretty terrifying to watch a friend collapse and not be able to help). Also consider the way she's hanging onto her for the last two comics - she's terrified, but I think she's primarily terrified of losing one of the few people she trusts. Consider that in panel six she's pretty much ignoring Erika, which I don't think she would be able to do if she were the source of the fear.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:20 am

paarfi wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm
cidjen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm
Links for reference: Erika is referring to the conversation she had with Miho and Masamichi in [800]. As cidjen pointed out, Erika and Miho were also both at the CoE for Largo's RickRoll [1260], but it was a big crowd and they were both a little busy.

I think cidjen is right that this is the first time Erika and Yaku have met.
And Miho's appearance and demeanor in both cases differed wildly, both with each other and with what Erika's seeing now. This is well caught by Erika; I wonder if the wand is boosting her perception or empathy here, or possibly memory?

Pretty sure this is the first time Erika's met Yaku...in fact, this might be the first time she's met any of the foxgirls. I can't recall she and Komugiko ever meeting. Anyone remember them having done so?

Olba

Post by Olba » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:37 am

Roamer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:20 am
Pretty sure this is the first time Erika's met Yaku...in fact, this might be the first time she's met any of the foxgirls. I can't recall she and Komugiko ever meeting. Anyone remember them having done so?
Definitely not her first time meeting foxgirls. Recall that Largo met Mugi at the school. Erika was there, acting as Largo's translator.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 am

<sees the comic title>

<cues up several Radwimps songs>

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:27 am

Ooooohhhh… =)

I don’t have much to say other than "Thank you, Fred!" and "Nice progress!!!"

Looking forward again…

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 am

Also, now we know for sure that Miho and Moeko are 2 separate beings.
Miho's (part) was given life by the ancient story being told from fan to fan, word of mouth - hence it got twisted into perpetual respawn; It's going to be played and given 'real' life by Kimiko now.
Moeko's (part) was written-in, and made into the production, but there wasn't enough life in that to sustain her, hence Moeko's coma. It was going being played by Erika but still only enough to sustain the coma;

(but still, they could have been 2 parts of the same story);
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Times Erika has met Miho:

- “Fan of your fans” conversation at Megagamers, when Miho was a creepy goth girl

- After Kimiko’s event; they discussed the episode of Girl Phase and Moeko, when Miho was a slightly perkier goth girl (no indication that Erika recognized her from their prior conversation, although she invites Miho to dinner)

- During/after the CoE showdown, when Miho was newly reincarnated (this confuses me, because how would Erika not recognize the same girl two days after helping her find clothes and riding the subway back with her, as opposed to two weeks after last seeing goth girl Miho?)

- In the classroom with Piro right before the horde descends, when Miho is dressed as a schoolgirl (Erika might not have recognized Miho in the moment since she was focused on Piro).

So Erica knows that Piro tried to escape with a dark-haired girl, he wrote that girl the “I will not let you go” note, and Largo flipped his shit about the girl being evil...but here Largo is, flipping out again and connecting this girl to Piro. In addition, Erika recognizes Miho from Megagamers and as the “bad magical girl” from Girl Phase. I wonder if Largo will ever tell Erika that Miho is the companion who betrayed him and Piro in Endgames.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:12 pm

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 pm
this confuses me, because how would Erika not recognize the same girl two days after helping her find clothes...
Erika recognizes Miho from Megagamers and as the “bad magical girl” from Girl Phase
That's Erika's Perception Filter in action ( or Miho's power of camouflage… or both)
I wonder if Largo will ever tell Erika that Miho is the companion who betrayed him and Piro in Endgames.
Hah here is to the hope this would have been the next page ;) you jinxed it ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:56 pm

At the end Pirogoeth saved Moh instead of Largo thus betraying him. I also suspect that Largo would need to return to his hospital bed immediately if he realized that there's a connection between Miho and Kimi and that Miho is getting...erm...feedback...from Piro and Kimi's shenanigans