Catch me up on the last 14 years please

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

ericlanser

Catch me up on the last 14 years please

Post by ericlanser » Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am

Hey, I read megatokyo (and was active on the forums) from about 2001-2005, but got annoyed by the update schedule and what I felt was a lack of direction (by the time a character was in the strip again I had always forgotten what their current arc was and why they were doing what they were doing).

Can anyone briefly catch me up? Like I’m guessing Piro and Largo are still in Japan? Are ‘Dom and Ed’ still a thing?

How much ‘in story’ time has passed since I last read the comic?

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Catch me up on the last 14 years please

Post by paarfi » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 am

mod note: moved to story discussion
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am

Um.. Paging Cidjen?

To answer your specific questions,

Piro and Largo are still in Japan.
Dom and Ed are still a thing, but we haven't seen Ed in a while since he went "boom" some time ago (along with Harajuku).
In story time is a few days (One chapter is one day, still?)

Most notably (in my mind), Miho got good deal of (theoretical) backstory, PIro saved a life, Magical Wind Thief, Largo and Erika rode an shinkansen, Great Teacher Foxlady, GTF's daughter, ninjas, foxholes, and Kimizilla got toner in her hair.

I'll let someone else fill in the rest.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 pm

ericlanser wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am
How much ‘in story’ time has passed since I last read the comic?
The quality of evidence for the below varies, but even for the ones that have reasonably good evidence, I'm pretty rarely going to track down and point to strips that present it. As Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman, "I'm too old, and too friggin' blind." Search ninja are your friend.

Chapter 0 was around seven weeks or so total. (Piro and Largo attend E3, Piro describes Largo as having thrown a wobbly presumably late evening after the event has closed for the day, and it is presumably next morning / day they are on a plane to Japan. In strip [37], six weeks pass between the boys promising to be out of Tsubasa's hair "in a few days", and them... not being out of Tsubasa's hair.)

Chapters 1 [134] to 9 are a day each.

In the beginning of Chapter 10 [1141], Piro mentions "over a week" since he last saw Kimiko; but after that gap, the action of Chapter 10 that we see takes place in a day.

Chapter 11 [1270] starts out with Piro in a holding cell; the officer describes him as having been brought in "last night", and when we see Miho in his apartment a bit later on, he says he was in jail all night after attempting to see her "at the hospital" (where we saw him near the end of Chapter 10). So Chapter 11 is also a day.

Chapter 12 [1434] starts with Miho in the hospital subsequent to the heart attack near the end of Chapter 11; while it's possible she was unconscious more than a day following her surgery, this is never stated. Also Largo is still being kept in the hospital for observation for his broken nose, and it seems unlikely they'd keep him overnight for that (especially since it was implied in Chapter 11 they were short on beds + facilities from the number of injuries in the school collapse). So also one more day so far.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed May 01, 2019 1:20 pm

ericlanser wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:09 am
Hey, I read megatokyo (and was active on the forums) from about 2001-2005, but got annoyed by the update schedule and what I felt was a lack of direction (by the time a character was in the strip again I had always forgotten what their current arc was and why they were doing what they were doing).
If you were annoyed by this, i'd say not much change in this department... It's probably still annoying ... Until you realize that all is Fred's creation from the story to the drawings. So it still takes time to write and draw. But the end result rarely misses to amaze us here. As a story, it reads/binges in a few sessions much smoother than waiting for the next page, a lot smoother...

Can anyone briefly catch me up? Like I’m gues sing Piro and Largo are still in Japan? Are ‘Dom and Ed’ still a thing?
The Fan-made Summaries I posted in this forum, can give you a quick oversight if that is what you want, but I tried to design them so, that you're drawn to read the story :)

Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Mon May 06, 2019 12:43 pm

How about some assessment of where you left off? Do you remember Junko? How about Yuki's boyfriend? Or her zilla?

McTrooper

Post by McTrooper » Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 pm

The archives are still up and free.

Reading through around where you left off won't take that long. [I caught up with about 3 years of Suggy Freelance in a couple of weeks . . .]

These last few pages might throw you off because it's a real tangent and Ping recently went through some changes. I'm honestly a bit confused myself and I'm all caught up with Megatokyo.

COBALT GUNDAMX20

Post by COBALT GUNDAMX20 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Hey what happen to Piro And Kimko are the now a couple? How far their relationship progress?

The same goes to Largo And Erika what's going on with them?

Its's been a long time reading this story sibce freshman high school.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 am

Piro and Kimiko are in the shower together removing toner from hair and glass from skin. Probably a couple.

Largo and Erika rick rolled an evil night club and rode on top of an Express train in steampunk costumes. Re-confirmed themselves as a couple a comic or two ago.

Foradain

Post by Foradain » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Oh, I didn't need to binge the archives, I could have just gotten a summary here!
Nah, I really needed to binge the archives.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Foradain wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm
Oh, I didn't need to binge the archives, I could have just gotten a summary here!
Good luck with that...... :roll:

This site can’t be reached archive.forums.megatokyo.com took too long to respond.
Go to http://megatokyo.com/
Search Google for archive forums megatokyo
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm
Foradain wrote:

This site can’t be reached archive.forums.megatokyo.com took too long to respond.
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
This will give you the summary of each chapter up to chapter 9
Or you can go straight to the comic archive here

Foradain

Post by Foradain » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:04 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 pm
Foradain wrote:
< snip >

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
That was the past tense, there. I've already caught up. But the good wishes are appreciated. ^_^

Foradain

Post by Foradain » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 am

maldrul wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm
< snip >
This will give you the summary of each chapter up to chapter 9
Or you can go straight to the comic archive here
And thanks for the links, also. ^_^

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:41 am

COBALT GUNDAMX20 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:51 pm
Hey what happen to Piro And Kimko are the now a couple? How far their relationship progress?

The same goes to Largo And Erika what's going on with them?

Its's been a long time reading this story sibce freshman high school.
Largo and Erika are most definitely a couple, and a strong pairing. The two of them had dinner with TCPD inspector Sonada's family. Yes, the one who put him in cuffs. The family are friends of Erika's from way back. Watching Masamichi and Largo compare gun collection sizes was fun. Oh yeah, magical girls are a real thing, and Masamichi's daughter is a brand-new one, and almost off the scale powerful. And Largo is her mentor.

Magical Girl vs. Ninja is NOT a fair fight. Nor is MG vs. Zombie Horde.

Piro and Miho were almost a couple, sorta. Piro and Kimiko are currently maybe a couple, depending on what is happening in the shower at the love hotel they're in. Piro is spending a lot of time dithering about relationships, and we throw a lot of figurative popcorn at screens while yelling at all three of them to make a move on somebody.

Dom has turned out to be an evil miniboss for Sega, he's currently the money behind the company making the Anime Kimiko is going to be starring in. Ed is still Ed, but with a prettier face - Sony apparently has amazing medical coverage for field ops. Ed had always wanted to fight a magical girl, and Miho obliged him, after which Ed needed pretty much a complete rebuild.

Junpei has fallen for Komugiko, a foxgirl friend of Miho's. We've also met several more members of her family, and they're Kitsune, with up to eight tails so far (kitsune power is directly related to how many tails they have).

The cast overall has gotten way larger, but they're all still interesting. Fred is doing the best he can regarding updates, but last year was pretty rough on him and the family.

Welcome back.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 am

Hey just not to blow my own trumpet but I wrote the resumes for chapters 9+ and posted on this forum. Look for Fan-made Summary in the Story section (and tell me if it's any good ;))

But yeah it's not intended as a replacement of a good read, as it a resume :) you're welcome.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )