[1564] Important

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

darrin

Re: [1564] Important

Post by darrin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:19 am
Zombie Rent-A-Zilla was made into a huge running joke. Joking can cover up a great many things.
1) RAZ was bitten in 1091, and in the immediately subsequent strip 1092 it was blatantly obvious he had been infected and turned into Zombie Zilla. (If you count the obvious implication of Yuki's frantic "They are biting him!" text, and Yutaka's even more frantic "get away from him!" in response (neither of which was covered with any immediate attempt at humor), the lag in the reveal was exactly 0 strips. There was no series of subsequent strips in which RAZ appeared perfectly normal, Largo and Yuki talking as if she were perfectly normal, and a lone voice crying in the forumness "I bet she's a zombie!" proven right after a long interval, humorous or otherwise.

2) The joking you refer to was preceded by much distress and anguish on Yuki's part. It was blatantly clear from both the art and dialogue that Yuki was well aware that being a zombie was a Bad Thing and that having something as powerful and destructive as a Zilla in this state was far far worse. Narratively it also made perfect sense, Yuki states clearly that it's Yuki's fault, not the Zilla's; the obvious implication there is that she gets that her inexperience and Largo's cray-cray have not only caused harm to an innocent creature, but could potentially harm many more citizens of Tokyo if the creature can't be contained or killed.

Fred could have gone two ways here. (Well, at least two. :lol: :lol: :lol:) Masamicihi could have been right, but still failed to persuade the fairer Sonodas, the monster could have escaped, killed or zombified large numbers of Tokyoans, much pain and suffering directly caused by Yuki and Largo biting off much more than they were actually able to chew. Yuki learns a hard lesson the hard way.

Alternatively, Fred could (and did :D yay) go much lighter; Meimi hints right away that steps can be taken, the minified Zombie Zilla becomes a merely household nuisance rather than national terror, Yuki still "learns her lesson" but nobody has to actually die for it. (Largo wasn't gonna learn anything anyway so that's a wash. :P)

Then there's the third possibility: Fred piles the jokes on strip after strip, people mostly go about their business for a while in various humorous ways, then suddenly the Zombie Zilla kills a bunch of people quite horribly. That's the plotline that is hypothetically equivalent to the one you're proposing, with the arrows (humor -> horror) pointing the opposite direction from the way things actually happened then (and, I claim, are happening now).
But, by all means, discount the words of this bear.
I would never discount an argument. I might offer counter-arguments intended to refute it, if I thought I had ones of sufficient relative weight, but I would never discount the original argument. For a scientist that would be like killing a puppy, "you could go to Science Hell for that" as Harry Potter once said.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:19 am
darrin wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 pm
And again, the main question I asked last post, why the hell would Fred be making jokes about something as horrific as Erika being possessed by an entity of evidently vast power and as yet unknown morality (using very specifically Erika-style teasing instead of anything that could remotely be identified as un-Erika let alone Moeko)? This idea makes about as much sense as claiming that Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a comedy, even though nobody's laughing at any point, and even though the human race is clearly completely screwed at the end.
Zombie Rent-A-Zilla was made into a huge running joke. Joking can cover up a great many things. But, by all means, discount the words of this bear. I do not mind bucking the system on my own. My shoulders are still broad and my back is yet strong.
And that's a good thing. The forum would be a lot less interesting without you, as darrin said, sticking vegtables into the cereal.

(Sorry about any typos, having to type one handed due to surgery.)

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Moeko doesn’t need to possess Erika as Erika agrees of her own volition to serve as Moeko’s avatar and complete her story

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 pm

I read it again, just because, and I felt that Largo in that last panel might have liked to say (in the vein of the younger Darrin's quote), "I don't mind the kissing scenes so much..."