Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Roamer

Re: [1564] Important

Post by Roamer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:23 am

cidjen wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:19 am
Roamer wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Don't forget Sayuri, she could be a real asset to this kind of project. And I would seriously want Megumi there; having a four-plus tail foxgirl around could be very useful if Dom gets sporty.
I would say megumi would probably rather be like the immortal observer, not interested in affairs of mere humans and other less powerful immortals... As far as writing stories goes, Yakugashi is more talented... Megumi either doesn't realize her own powers yet, or mask them really, really well.

Though it probably would be fun to see Megumi perform the perspective attack :)

And regarding Dom, I have a feeling we won't see him any more, after all, IRL, this was a bit just before Sega started going out of business.

I have a feeling, Erika will do a buyout of Lockhart using her own wealth and maybe a remortgage of her home (not unusual thing to happen IRL)

Ed is a griefer, and has been smashed with a Tetris block and bombed with BHFE. Sony still exists but there's no PS5 t-shirt for him therefore we won't see him either :)
Any four-tail (or nine-tail, if Invisigoth is right) kitsune has power to spare. Which means that she's not using them for the most part, although it does help explain why she was willing to charge armed TCPD officers and a mech in a car.

I suspect Dom has enough of a controlling interest in Lockart that he can block that kind of move. He did rescue the company, after all.

Ed is a weapon, he will listen to anyone who can point him at a target that he can justify. I suspect he'd love to take a crack at Dom. After all, with their insurance policies, it's not like anything he does to him would be permanent.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:28 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am
Erika is carrying Largo off under her arm like luggage... what more proof do you want that her body has been hijacked by Moeko? Okay, she also started out speaking Japanese before Moeko switched to speaking in English after she gained full mental mastery over Erika's knowledge, memories, and skills. This is really bad for Largo,,, let alone Erika.
Teddy, this is the girl that broke Largo's arm, a feat unmatched by mundanes, ninjas, and vehicles of various sizes. She doesn't show it often, but there's strength to spare there.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am
Erika is carrying Largo off under her arm like luggage...
(brain mode : FPS)
or like a vulcan gatling cannon / spray gun huh ;)
(/brain mode)
what more proof do you want that her body has been hijacked by Moeko? Okay, she also started out speaking Japanese before Moeko switched to speaking in English after she gained full mental mastery over Erika's knowledge, memories, and skills. This is really bad for Largo,,, let alone Erika.
Erika's been given a quest to complete, it is obviously reasonable that she wants to equip with equipment of enough level to clear this :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Yay! Came back to MT, find new comic! — with some neat treats! =)

Thanks Fred. Nice work!

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Olba

Post by Olba » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 pm

cidjen wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am
I don't think Largo's gonna be shooting anything, based on what Erika said.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Olba wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 pm
cidjen wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am
I don't think Largo's gonna be shooting anything, based on what Erika said.
:lol:

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:49 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm
On other points though, I still suspect that Megu is in fact a nine-tail and that's going to be an entirely new story when that reveals (if it does in fact come to fruition)
Ah, I get it now. Megumi has used her eldritch powers to make herself forget who / what she really is. As far as she (possibly most others in the kitsune clan?) knows, she is from the mundane side of the family -- until the time comes for her to remind herself of the truth.

Kinda like that "Family of Blood" Doctor Who episode; I like that idea. 8-)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:05 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:49 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm
On other points though, I still suspect that Megu is in fact a nine-tail and that's going to be an entirely new story when that reveals (if it does in fact come to fruition)
Ah, I get it now. Megumi has used her eldritch powers to make herself forget who / what she really is. As far as she (possibly most others in the kitsune clan?) knows, she is from the mundane side of the family -- until the time comes for her to remind herself of the truth.

There is of course, another possible explanation. Megumi was functionally a mundane until all of this craziness woke the kitsune blood coursing through her veins. She may be going through a rebirth of sorts, completely oblivious to what is about to happen to her. Or maybe.....she's NOT oblivious and is hoping that others don't notice just yet. This could be quite an interesting story arc. As for power levels, in this universe how does one compare a nine-tail, a bed-ridden super magical girl, and a crazy powerful idol? Regardless of who is the most powerful, I am not sure anyone with any common sense at all would want to tangle with any one of these individuals.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am

Yuki probably ranks as the most powerful entity who is actually active at the moment.

Moeko is very similar but is constrained by her comatose state

Erika and Kimi both "borrow" power from their respective sources. Demigod -> Idol

Megu is a wild card and if she fully manifests would probably bump Yuki from the #1 position

Another possibility is that old grandmother 8 tail the family have deliberately placed blocks in some manner to prevent Megu from manifesting and realizing her potential.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am
Megu is a wild card and if she fully manifests would probably bump Yuki from the #1 position
Another possibility is that old grandmother 8 tail the family have deliberately placed blocks in some manner to prevent Megu from manifesting and realizing her potential.
Her hair ribbon acts as a power limiter. Beware should she ever let her hair down.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:28 am
Teddy, this is the girl that broke Largo's arm, a feat unmatched by mundanes, ninjas, and vehicles of various sizes. She doesn't show it often, but there's strength to spare there.
And now it is amped up with the magic girl energy of Moeko. We shall see how it turns out, but I think Erika is no longer in the driver's seat of her body.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm

darrin wrote:

Or Dr. Manhattan in episode 8 of HBO's Watchmen series.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Roamer wrote:
And now it is amped up with the magic girl energy of Moeko. We shall see how it turns out, but I think Erika is no longer in the driver's seat of her body.
I don't think she's taking over, she just added her energy to Erika's and given her the powers, for real, not pretend, like an actress she was; Largo must be seeing Erika's stats on his cheat screen (the 'usual ones', not the emotional ones). (or has no idea/not interested? in what the flying hearts symbols mean around his character when they splitscreen this game)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Roamer wrote:
strength to spare there.
If you're not satisfied with the in-story evidence Roamer & I have pointed to, please at least consider the least hypothesis of how the Author tends to roll (so far). If there were anything remotely sinister going on here, it's unlikely to the point of impossible Fred would have slathered on a bunch of bog-standard E+L comedy stylings (his Calculon-level bombast that fizzles to nothing, her verbally spraying whip cream down his shirt, and finally lugging him off like a sack of unusually low-IQ potatoes). It's not like Fred wouldn't know how to do sinister; Moeko speaking in dark undertones instead of ditzy teen-babble, Erika saying literally anything at all distinguishable from the way she always talks, heck even the ancient glazed-eyes trope would have sufficed. But the actual amount of non-Erika behavior from Erika these past few strips has been bupkis.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good mindfuck as much as the next guy (assuming the next guy doesn't hate mindfucks :roll:). But there is no evidence yet at all that Fred invested twenty years toward what would (in your interpretation) amount to a mid-level Robot Chicken sketch. You are sticking asparagus in my corn flakes, and I am objecting to that not because I am afraid of asparagus, I am just pointing out there are better things you could be doing with both the asparagus and the corn flakes.
paarfi wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 am
Her hair ribbon acts as a power limiter. Beware should she ever let her hair down.
Now THAT's what I call a least hypothesis. (It handily explains why it so often goes ear-shaped.) I remain curious as to whether she put it on herself, if so whether she remembers doing so, or whether someone else is/are involved.
jkhartl wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm
darrin wrote:
Or Dr. Manhattan in episode 8 of HBO's Watchmen series.
Funny enough I don't get HBO, but over the past Thanksgiving weekend they did one of those free promos ("Look how much extra crap you could be watching if you paid us more!"), and so I did get to catch that ep (and the one prior, backstory of Hooded Justice?). So I was aware of that ref but did not consider myself sufficiently "invested" in it to deserve to quote it; thanks for doing so.

And I am sure there are examples from written SF but for the life of me I have not been able to bring any to mind over the past couple of days. I guess Total Recall fits to some extent (I've only seen the movies though).

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 am

I think Erika has been dominated by Moeko. I think the shadow flash of Moeko was meant to dissuade us from believing that Erika is no longer calling the shots. Moeko just boosted her body and is gonna take it for one helluvah joy ride! Erika is the equivalent of a tricked out classic muscle car with all the bells and whistles plus leather bucket seats for comfort.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 am
I think Erika has been dominated by Moeko. I think the shadow flash of Moeko was meant to dissuade us from believing that Erika is no longer calling the shots. Moeko just boosted her body and is gonna take it for one helluvah joy ride! Erika is the equivalent of a tricked out classic muscle car with all the bells and whistles plus leather bucket seats for comfort.
Were Moeko running the show, I think she would have complied when Largo told her to go back. As she said, she grew up in a coma and was never able to experience any of that. I think it likely she would have tried out kissing when the opportunity presented itself.

====

I just realized...Erika walked out of the room with Moeko's wand. How many alarms are going to be set off once staff realizes it's gone, and how much overtime will the TCPD be doing trying to find a level 10+ magical artifact? And what will the expression on Masamichi's face be when he realizes that she has it and worse, is carrying it openly?

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 am

paarfi wrote:
Invisigoth wrote:
Were you making a joke there about letting her hair down? Because I've always felt that Megumi feels and acts very repressed. She usually seems very reluctant to act, passive, and frequently unhappy. She actively hides the fact that's she's Kitsune, despite the fact that most of her family don't. Straight conjecture, but I wonder if there isn't history there - possibly she hurt someone accidentally, or acted more like a mythological Kitsune and was cruel or malicious in some way and suppresses her ability because of that.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 am

Roamer wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 am

I just realized...Erika walked out of the room with Moeko's wand. How many alarms are going to be set off once staff realizes it's gone, and how much overtime will the TCPD be doing trying to find a level 10+ magical artifact? And what will the expression on Masamichi's face be when he realizes that she has it and worse, is carrying it openly?
I guess, Piro won't be the only one called to court for a hearing after bailout... Largo had been on the bad books before, so this might be harder for him;
And Dom will have to vouch for both Piro and Largo, since he wouldn't want to enrage the two most powerfull women in the business right*now...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Roamer wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 am
paarfi wrote:
Invisigoth wrote:
Were you making a joke there about letting her hair down? Because I've always felt that Megumi feels and acts very repressed. She usually seems very reluctant to act, passive, and frequently unhappy. She actively hides the fact that's she's Kitsune, despite the fact that most of her family don't. Straight conjecture, but I wonder if there isn't history there - possibly she hurt someone accidentally, or acted more like a mythological Kitsune and was cruel or malicious in some way and suppresses her ability because of that.
This worries me too. Megumi seems to be branded as the "good girl" of the family. What sort of stress might that bring to her to have to live up to those standards all the time?

richvh

Post by richvh » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am
eomdal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 am
857, 858, and 859 and now this. Largo and Erika's game may seem codependent and unhealthy, but Memi could see its worth.
IMO this is different from the above. Exactly for the reason you write below: Largo is not the pathetic dork Hitoshi was. He's "I want to continue, but this is beyond my level! I can't even see them m0nst3rz!1!" He's not putting his feelings before hers like Hitoshi did. He's thinking about her safety first.

And her response...
SpoilerShow
"Noisy." "Your feelings..." "Are important." (t/n: Google Translate says "taisetsu nanda" means 'what is it?' but just 'taisetsu' translates to 'important' and it's not a question... )
Google translate is unreliable, especially for translation between Japanese and English. "nanda" here is not a contraction of "nani da" (what is it?), but of explanatory "na no da" (that's why.) (Na is a special form of the copula da, required in this construction.) And while "urusai" does mean "noisy", its common usage is "shut up" or the equivalent, like in the mouseover translation. Essentially taken all together, she's telling him to stop saying things like that, because his feelings are important.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Roamer wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 am
That wand only stays with Moeko. Anytime staff tried to remove it, they could not... no matter what they did or tried. Now it is leaving the hospital room in the hand of Moerika.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:04 pm

richvh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am
eomdal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 am
857, 858, and 859 and now this. Largo and Erika's game may seem codependent and unhealthy, but Memi could see its worth.
IMO this is different from the above. Exactly for the reason you write below: Largo is not the pathetic dork Hitoshi was. He's "I want to continue, but this is beyond my level! I can't even see them m0nst3rz!1!" He's not putting his feelings before hers like Hitoshi did. He's thinking about her safety first.

And her response...
SpoilerShow
"Noisy." "Your feelings..." "Are important." (t/n: Google Translate says "taisetsu nanda" means 'what is it?' but just 'taisetsu' translates to 'important' and it's not a question... )
Google translate is unreliable, especially for translation between Japanese and English. "nanda" here is not a contraction of "nani da" (what is it?), but of explanatory "na no da" (that's why.) (Na is a special form of the copula da, required in this construction.) And while "urusai" does mean "noisy", its common usage is "shut up" or the equivalent, like in the mouseover translation. Essentially taken all together, she's telling him to stop saying things like that, because his feelings are important.
Thanks :) to all that chipped in - @richvh and @klange and @reist and @StupendousMan who wrote before (and as I just started writing this, noticed @walkingeagle) I think I recognize the intention better now :) Awesome explanations, all of you (and as a translator, this is really valuable for me, so big big kudos! and thanks!)

(btw do you think this mouse-over wrangling could be implemented for the other comics where Largo is spoken in Japanese to? Or would it be against Fred's wish to do that?)

(In polish [when Megalettering is back on] this will probably become 'Cicho bądź' = Be quiet/shut up or 'za dużo gadasz' = you talk too much or 'nie gadaj głupot' = don't spout rubbish. (Yeah I am trying to be creative, even if only a bit ;) I got /some/ time to decide still ;) .)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 am
I think Erika has been dominated by Moeko.
I gathered, yeah. :roll:

I'm not questioning THAT you think that, I'm asking WHY you think that given the utter lack of positive evidence for that idea in the strips so far, and given your lack of response to any of the contrary evidence that has already been pointed out.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:15 pm
That wand only stays with Moeko.
Unless Moeko chooses to give it to someone else.

How do you explain Moeko's lines at the bottom of 1562? If she's "taking" Erika's body, why the heck would she bother talking to Erika at all? Do you spend a lot of time talking to the hot dog you've just pulled off the grill, reassuring it that it's got nothing to worry about because of all the important stuff it's about to do? Why would Moeko bother pretending to be sad while saying the things she's saying? Why bother saying anything to Largo at all, let alone saying crap about feelings that only make sense coming from Erika, when she could just as easily heft him out the window instead of slinging him under her arm?

And again, the main question I asked last post, why the hell would Fred be making jokes about something as horrific as Erika being possessed by an entity of evidently vast power and as yet unknown morality (using very specifically Erika-style teasing instead of anything that could remotely be identified as un-Erika let alone Moeko)? This idea makes about as much sense as claiming that Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a comedy, even though nobody's laughing at any point, and even though the human race is clearly completely screwed at the end.

klange
Admin
Admin

Post by klange » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 pm

cidjen wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:04 pm
(btw do you think this mouse-over wrangling could be implemented for the other comics where Largo is spoken in Japanese to? Or would it be against Fred's wish to do that?)
In prior instances, the Japanese dialogue which has been left untranslated (meant to convey Largo's lack of understanding) has been of little consequence and not something Fred expects readers to care much to translate. This line was different, as it's more critical to the scene, but Fred still wanted to convey that Largo doesn't know what she's saying, just the emotion behind it. We included the official translation as an Easter Egg mostly in an attempt to avoid armchair debates over the intended meaning, but perhaps we were too subtle in our approach. Now that we have the infrastructure in place, Fred may ask to have this done on future comics as well, but I don't think we'll go through the old ones unless I get bored on a Saturday ;)

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:19 am

darrin wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 pm
And again, the main question I asked last post, why the hell would Fred be making jokes about something as horrific as Erika being possessed by an entity of evidently vast power and as yet unknown morality (using very specifically Erika-style teasing instead of anything that could remotely be identified as un-Erika let alone Moeko)? This idea makes about as much sense as claiming that Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a comedy, even though nobody's laughing at any point, and even though the human race is clearly completely screwed at the end.
Zombie Rent-A-Zilla was made into a huge running joke. Joking can cover up a great many things. But, by all means, discount the words of this bear. I do not mind bucking the system on my own. My shoulders are still broad and my back is yet strong.