So, will it be ever delivered?

Xana12

Re: So, will it be ever delivered?

Post by Xana12 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 pm

I just sent an email off to Kotaku as well. Here's hoping they run with it!

feelingwalnut

Post by feelingwalnut » Wed May 09, 2018 7:51 am

wow. 5 years already?
When i originally backed the VN. i knew there would be delays. TBH my only hope was that no one expired before it could be completed and my only expectations were a comic in VN format version, maybe with a little probing deeper into story here or there, nothing more nothing less.
and a usb stick.

tone back expectations for the project so it can be completed in traditional VN style and give everyone a little skin at the end and the internet will rejoice. ...well, maybe by now it might take a lotta skin. :D

piro
The Artist

Post by piro » Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm

As i said earlier, i'm very sorry for the delay in getting a formulated and organized update posted as to the status of where development with the VN is AND also with where it is going. I want to re-focus the game on the story elements that I believe most people are, in fact, most interested in. The requires pulling out a bunch of the more complicated structure and going with a far more straight forward delivery. I've identified the things that do need to be pulled out and simplified and i've also re-worked a lot of the more complicated flowchart structure to give me something that is far more doable with the a more economical use of both existing and new resources.

Why haven't I posted about this in the last two months and not shown progress on it like I had hoped to? As i said, and I know this shouldn't matter, but my mom went into hospice care over a month ago and this has had a big impact on me and my family. Yes, i've been pushing and working to get comics done and whatever else i can do, and this significant re-launch into re-working the VN is not something i've been able to get rolling when I had planned. My plan was to have all this well in motion and detailed updates about it in place before the five year anniversary in June. I'm sorry.

This situation is not getting any easier, but I will pull this update together in the next week or so and try to keep you folks here updated on it before I do. I do not expect that to make any of you happier with things, but that is where I am at right now and I will do my best to provide an update before the end of the month.

As for everyone hoping that i get my teeth bashed for my failures on keeping this above water and the other problems ive had with this project... well, I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to give you the pound of flesh you want, but if it helps the problems with the VN have and will continue to prevent me from doing anything else with Megatokyo until the project is completed. You cannot pursue other projects when you have an incomplete project like this still active. The IP for MT wont survive this, but I will finish this game. Megatokyo book seven has been almost 8 years in the making and still isn't finished. The VN is essentially re-doing all six volumes, each storyline with many alternate storylines, and has been far harder to do than i realized. Hopefully this revised approach will give more of what people are hoping for while working within accepted VN structures without trying to change or change the genre.

Fred

Xana12

Post by Xana12 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

So... It took us reporting and emailing news sites for you to give an actual update. That's so sad. Your coworker has been taken the brunt of all this while you haven't worked on the game at all, replied to emails or questions until a fire was lit under you. That's sad and heartbreaking for a supporter to see.
You don't care about us who contributed to this. You won't answer questions about the rewards or where the money went.You guys give us cross talk and it's sad. Apparently this fourm wasn't even on your radar.

shonen_jidai

Post by shonen_jidai » Wed May 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Wow, I didn't know this was still in development. Well, this probably doesn't help anyone waiting feel any better, but as a big VN fan, I'm still interested in seeing the release, whenever that may be. As a software engineer, I only have sympathy for the challenge of bringing a project like this to completion.

legitalltheponies

Post by legitalltheponies » Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Most of what I've been wanting is a viable strategy to complete the game. It looks like that is incoming. I would also like to see a comprehensive breakdown of costs from Fred, but that's more other peoples' deal than mine.

Ace42

Post by Ace42 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 pm

piro wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm
I want to re-focus the game on the story elements that I believe most people are, in fact, most interested in.
Curious to know what elements those are. Because if it's just retreading the main comic story, my reply would be "swing and a miss."

I'm not going to pretend I speak for anyone but me; however, for the record, the elements I'm most interested in are the classic visual novel elements of romancing a harem of girls in order to pick out the one(s) I like the most, seducing them, and being rewarded with "overly romantic content" if I make compelling narrative choices.

Other than that, good to hear the product's not being put on ice and is being put back on a productive track. Just seeing *some* progress is likely to restore some good will.

Rowandoll

Post by Rowandoll » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 am

piro wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm
I'm not sure how to give you the pound of flesh you want...
All I want is a game and the rewards for the tier I purchased, with a secondary request being for a post-mortem report of what happened with the project in terms of costs, so that both investors and content producers can learn from the experience.

Since there is no game, no mention of the tier rewards, and no likelihood of a post mortem, I stand by reporting this kickstarter.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 am

So I normally don't come into SD territory, but I kinda had to for this thread.
If you look back through the archive, you'll see me warning you in 2013 that this'd happen. Fred hasn't completed anything, ever. He starts big, putters around for a bit, and then gives up. Just loses steam. That's his modus operandi. I mean, fuck. remember fredart? whoops. Remember when the store was down for a couple years? whoops. Remember that sendai shit he was talking about for sure getting off the ground? Yeah, that didn't fucking happen. Ooops.

So, you know, me and a bunch of people that saw what was happening, we knew exactly how it would play out, as usual, we just watched the sad sacks of shit pledge their money to something that wasn't going to fucking happen. And yeah, I admit, I trolled you guys a little bit. Once or twice in 2013, and then once again in 2016 because you know, shit still hadn't gotten off the ground and you know, you gotta tick off points, even if it's on a dying horse.

I feel kinda sad for you guys. Sorry. Seriously. You guys had some pretty intense expectations, right? No joke, go and look at the archives. You were so hyped for it. So eager. It's hard for me to GET HYPE for anything and there you were, all aglow with the brilliance of expectation. And now the bright flame of victory has turned to bitter ashes in the mouth. I'm sorry. You don't deserve some sarcastic asshole rubbing salt in your wounds. But I am.

So, this is just from me to you, and I get it that it's no consolation to you at all, but I told you so. Five years ago.

Gerakis

Post by Gerakis » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 am

You know, after all that's been said, I'm not very bothered by the way this turned out, despite having pledged at the flash drive level. I mean, I at least get the impression that Fred's trying very hard. But life threw a curve ball and he had to run with it. It's not like he's a major developer or anything (don't even get me started on those Kickstarters) so I'm okay with waiting.

Fred, I hope things smoothen out for you; life does its damn best to suck at times, so do your best to trudge on. It's all we can do. ☺

And regarding the VN, I think much will be forgiven if some of that "Excessive Romantic Content" is included in the final product, especially considering how much people pushed for that last stretch goal. ;-p

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:21 am

Folks again, lets all try to keep things civil here, please. I know some people are unhappy, and that's ok. But please remember how easy it is to view what other people write through the prism of that unhappiness, and interpret what is said in the worst possible light. Please try to kind, even if you think the other person isn't being kind to you.

Fred posted a Rant a few days ago, and it includes a paragraph on the VN. You can read it here:
https://megatokyo.com/strip/1526#rant1099
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

legitalltheponies

Post by legitalltheponies » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey, since we're quickly approaching 1 year since the last official update-

From the comments section:

Hello,
You might not read this along with my past posts. But i don't know how else i am able to communicate with you.

It's been 5 years (6th since its June) since i found out about this project. I backed $115 dollars for this.
For you it might be small money but i was a high school student that time, and i was also a foreign student. So money was pretty tight, but i begged my mom for this, thinking it will be my gift for passing university.

Sadly you didnt come through....but i Waited.
Waited until near my graduation, and thought maybe this could be my graduation present.
Sadly, no.

I always thought your comics were cool and so fun and engaging, i even had my little brothers be a fan of yours. But overtime....you just kinda neglected us in a way.
The comic IS first priority, but i thought through this project i'd be able to engage with you more, because i live in another country.
So i felt a bit.......Betrayed.

I want to see this project through.....even if i have moved on from being your fan.
I kinda regret losing the excitement, and also funding this, but this comic was with me throughout middle school, so i Wanted something tangible to Remember it by.

I guess this is a kind of a goodbye comment from an ex-fan......im sorry.

I hope the money i gave was helpful in funding this project. So please use the money fully.
Also please put all your heart into this as your would with your comics and forums.
Please, oh please dont make the 5 years of hoping, waitinga waste because i still do want it.....
But please dont hope for me to be an avid fan anymore, staying up late just to wait for uploads.
I'm sorry.
And the best of luck to you and your love ones.
Thanks for the memories.

and after:

Im sorry but i wanted to clarify the exchange rate between our currency. In my country i basically spent 6k for this project. So i basically studied hard for a double scholarship in return to ease my families financial problems.

I am just ranting here. I'm sorry, and i know you guys are frustrated too.......im just worried that this project is forgotten.
I do read the updates and forums from time to time but.....i dont know where this project is heading really.
Who knows, I might be married by the time this is done, lol.......im sorry.
Its just........sad for me........and......yea, i dont know anymore.

Take care of your parents well.
My parents are also going through a lot of surgeries and health problems.
As im struggling in finally getting a permanent job, after a year of struggles....really.

Its gettiNg harder to get a job for the new generatiom, i hope my brothers will finish college smoothly and find a good job, hope they dont struggle like me.

Im sorry im ranting......Goodbye.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 pm

So it's been a year since I last posted in this thread.
Has the game been finished yet?
teehee. I know it hasn't.

Murren

Post by Murren » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 am

Nestor wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 pm
but the worst part is that it's been like a year and a half since you've posted in the anime & manga forum

but that's pretty much the same for most users

no one visits anymore :(
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

Murren wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 am

but the worst part is that it's been like a year and a half since you've posted in the anime & manga forum

but that's pretty much the same for most users

no one visits anymore :(
Lots of times it feels like I'm riding a dead horse on that forum; there are several reasons why, but no point in complaining about it.......

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 am

I post there when I have something to say ...
With the recent crisis it wouldn't be surprising to have everyone lurk and yearn and just watch for next occurence of anything.
That being said - occasionally posting is the least anyone can do to keep this place alive, for Fred too, I guess.

Good luck Fred, I can't speak for everyone but myself, of course life and fam is more important. See you on the other side.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

CipherF15

Post by CipherF15 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:17 am

Meanwhile, some people still follow the project and hope it'll be delivered some day!
But well, it wouldn't be the first project to see the light after years and years of development; for example, that's what happened with Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, the game remained in the ether for a while and made so much of an impression when it was finally published in 2007 that there's still an active fan community today.
To come back to our main topic, even Katawa Shoujo did take quite its time to be finished, and it has made a lasting impression as well.

So, I think that waiting for MT to be published isn't that foolish... It is, a little, of course, but not too much!

liataun

Post by liataun » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Fred and team,

For what little I can say, I am happy to have backed with or without results. It was an ambitious intention and I knew there would be delays. I paid to give you folks a chance to pursue a dream.

Operating costs are way beyond what most people would realize. I know I have many a project that has been sitting untended for years and years, coding and drawing and beyond, so the signs of doing what you can, intermittent though updates are, are enough for me. I got to see a small sample back with the Chapter 0 way back when. Just registering for the new forums has taken me until today. I had an account in the old forums, but barely used it. I had an account in the VN forums and saw all the spam-bots creeping in. If getting things done and facing life's adversity were easy, we would all be living very different lives.

I really appreciate the effort to keep going amid setbacks. As one of the orders that was delayed for years from the Megagear store and then finally arrived, I know that Fred will do his best to follow through, even if it isn't how he or I would have pictured originally. Keep struggling forward. I will keep patiently cheering you on.

Liataun/Jivira

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Here you go, though. Something from your old pal Nestor.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU PARTICIPATED!

axelowell

Post by axelowell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm

CipherF15 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:17 am
To come back to our main topic, even Katawa Shoujo did take quite its time to be finished, and it has made a lasting impression as well.
that project also didn't steal people's money

nntb

Post by nntb » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:41 am

2021 is heere. wondering if there is any updates?

my rewareds are

Includes FLASH DRIVE OF AW3SOM3 PACKAGE, the Kickstarter exclusive full-color, signed 11x14 fine art print PLUS BOTH Piro's new "B4k4^3" tshirt AND Largo's new and improved "3V1L L337" tshirt.

i still think this will happen some day.

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:24 am

So as a business venture at some point, you either have to produce something, or you have admit the venture failed. The problem with admitting the venture failed is there is a legal process, because you can't just go "oop money gone" for the reason of cutting down on embezzlement. The project can't sit in limbo forever. There are legal precedents for this.

Yoshio

Post by Yoshio » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm

I did not support the MT Kickstarter, just because I hadn’t checked in on the webcomic in a long time and wasn’t aware of it. So I don’t have a stake in this. But FWIW here is my experience with Kickstarter VNs of that era: (1) Culina: Hands in the Kitchen. Funded September 2014. Released November 2016. Yay! (2) Lovely Little Thieves. Funded November 2014. Last update from developer: September 2018. Abandoned, apparently. (3) The Human Recognition Project. Funded July 2015. Last update from developer: December 2020. Maybe it will be released someday?

I have no way of knowing, but I doubt that many of the failed VN projects of that era were people acting in bad faith. More likely, it was just people underestimating how hard it is to pull these projects off. We’re all wiser now, I hope.

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:39 pm

Yoshio wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm
I have no way of knowing, but I doubt that many of the failed VN projects of that era were people acting in bad faith. More likely, it was just people underestimating how hard it is to pull these projects off. We’re all wiser now, I hope.
When I googled random takes on it, I liked this explanation of kickstarters of that era: At the time, it was poorly understood that (depending on how they're designed) the effort needed for stretch goals doesn't generally increase linearly - it increases quadratically.

Hypothetical: If we hit 100k, I'll mail everyone a t-shirt. Hitting 100k means a lot more people have signed up - and each of them requires more work. If we hit 200k, I'll personally sign every shirt. Again the number of people increases, and so does the work needed for each. If we hit 300k, I'll personalize the signatures with up to 10 words of your choosing and add a doodle. You've now hit the "Oh Jesus help me" level of work, but success is dreadfully intoxicating. And by the time you wake up, the hangover will be legendary.

I think in this case it may have gone from quadratic all the way up to cubic, due to there being way too much contagious enthusiasm in the air. I do remember being alarmed as the number of playable characters kept expanding... but even if I said something (not sure, because nowadays my brain holds memories like sand holds water) it would have probably been mild. And in any event, it would have been like bringing a squirt gun to put out a forest fire.
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:33 pm

I wonder if the VN haunts Fred in his sleep... I know it would haunt mine, knowing I let so many fans down (and took their money to boot).

But Fred is probably like "nah, I'll just keep looking the other way, if I don't mention anything about it, it will eventually go away..."

300K dollars buy a lot of beer to get over a bad conscience