[1487] - I Need To Reboot

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

iffy

Re: [1487] - I Need To Reboot

Post by iffy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 pm

TarsTarkas wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:10 pm
If Ping were to do a full reboot, would she still be Ping? Sort of like transporter technology as viewed in Sci Fi movies. They disassemble (kill) you, then reassemble you at the final destination. Does the disassembled person, actually walk off the transporter grid, or is it a perfect clone with perfect memories, all gloriously recreated in exact detail. Would a full reboot for Ping, actually correct many things that aren't problems, but don't meet system parameters. Thus changing Ping in thought and mind.Considering Bones disdain for transporters, I wonder if he was more right than he ever thought.
Maybe it's just a doctor of the future thing; not just McCoy, Pulaski didn't like transporters either. Which is an entire other class of in-joke as well.

Aside from issues of information versus matter, philosophical questions of personal identity, and how that fits into discussions of things akin to cloning (or not), transporters supposedly convert everything to energy patterns and send that someplace else where it is reconverted back to matter. The way this notional technology is presented (Heisenberg compensators, computer pattern buffers, memory files, etc) the first half is a quantum-level dematerialization, not death. (and the second half just a reversal to how things originally were) But as far as Ping, that's another issue.

One would imagine that whatever Ping's basic intelligence is, it's somehow an integral part of what physically comprises her, and experiences and memories and whatever she absorbs becomes part of that. Create hard save points if not a new base-state. A reboot might do much of anything but reset it all to normal. A full reboot might not include any kind of memory wipe, highly dependent upon how that all works.

Keeping with the earlier motif, a clean reboot could put Ping into a state somewhat like the way Spock was on the Genesis planet. Yet without a McCoy-held katra to perform fal-tor-pan with, it would be a new fresh Ping of sorts, missing the rest. Unless Largo has backed up the equivalent of a katra that could be reunited... But again, that depends on how it all works, and of course, we don't know that any reboot or reset could erase anything, or if it does if there's a backup or if it could be restored, or if none of that sort of thing applies to how Ping's brain and emotional and mental capacities function.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmm, I was mostly just joking with my "dynamically changing hair color" crack above, but now I am not so sure it's just a joke. In panels 6 and 7 Ping has darkish ends, with a much lighter color just above that. But then in panels 8 and 9, the ends are very light (especially the ones almost touching Junko's face and being brushed away by Junko's left hand in panel 8), with a darker color above that. The hair at the top of Ping's head may be showing a color change too between panels 7 and 8, but I am less confident about that: it might just be the angle she's holding her head at.

As for Ping being aware of the morning's changes, I think eomdal may be onto something here. In 817 Ping is genuinely confused when Yuki points out the change in Ping's hair color. (Maybe "automatic" changes triggered by her interactions with the people she's "playing" with are meant to go unnoticed, whereas drivers being "messed up" and needing some kind of action on her part do attract her conscious attention.)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:48 pm

this makes me wonder what her digital read-outs are saying.... code 404..... blue screen of death..... come on Junko, grab that ear blade and show us!
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:43 pm

GouryG wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:06 pm
Well just like when you reboot your computer. It would go back to the last known good configuration.
Rebooting your computer just clears out the RAM, resets drivers and such, basically fixing the resource load and conflicts that have built up. No need to restore to a "last known good configuration" save point unless something doesn't start up correctly.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

HakuRyoku wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:48 pm
this makes me wonder what her digital read-outs are saying....
Indeed. Reminds me of the last time we saw her earblade readout up close.

(I should say at this point how awesome it is that the earblade text is included in the transcript for that strip, which is how most excellent search ninja able find this strip for me.)

@paarfi: While looking at 810 for the reference above I noticed an error in the transcript. For panel 4 it attributes Ping's line to Piro, and then has "Also shown: Ping" when she is the only one shown.

EDIT:
paarfi wrote:Fixed
Awesome. Many thanks for all your hard work making the most excellent search ninja even more excellent than they were before. :ninja:
Last edited by darrin on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm

darrin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm
While looking at 810 for the reference above I noticed an error in the transcript. For panel 4 it attributes Ping's line to Piro, and then has "Also shown: Ping" when she is the only one shown.
Fixed, and transcripts brought up-to-date. Thanks for pointing that out.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 pm

The big debate seems to be whether Ping's current physical "issues" are more likely caused by something to do with Largo's tinkering and accessories (e.g. a virus contracted from the internet), or Miho and her disappearance.

I am leaning more toward it being Miho-related, mostly due to the timing. If this was a virus or other accessory-related condition, I would have expected problems to start cropping up back when Ping first started using said accessories on a regular basis. But what seems to have happened is that yesterday Ping was effectively forced to give up an exhausting and fruitless search for Miho, and then this morning started exhibiting her "symptoms".

There is precedent for this; I believe that all the times Ping has shown signs of combined emotional and electronic distress it has been to some degree Miho-related. When she had a crying fit resulting in earblade messages of "comfort desired" and "game data error: bad crc", it was triggered by some combination of Piro's fight with Miho in the Cave of Evil Saturday evening, and Ping nearly injuring Miho in Megagamers. When Ping had an emotional purge causing uncontrollable crying, it was triggered by seeing Miho attacked by Ed and his baka-taser.

A counterargument would be that in 1414 Junko yanks off Largo's devices without doing the umount and controlled shutdown Largo would no doubt have recommended. :lol: I could see this causing some kind of low-level issues that have gradually bubbled up into Ping's current problematic state. But for my money the interpretation that it is Miho-related seems more consistent with what we've seen of the relationship between Miho and Ping.

This next bit may sound like bet-hedging but I will also say I don't expect any of the above to be tremendously important. That is, I don't think Ping is in any kind of danger, and I expect whatever reset needs to happen will be pretty straightforward. If she were at any kind of actual risk I don't think Fred would have Junko cracking wise about it. ;)

All that being said, one thing I am completely sure of is that Ping should not go to school in her present state, or Ninamori will have kittens. :o

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 am

Quite a few comics are up since I moved to Africa, started working as a teacher after 32 years of being a housewife/homeschool mom (essentially my own "changes" with weight loss instead of weight gain). It seems that both Miho and Ping are in a story/life crisis (and ninja girl gets raccoon eyes when she cries <snerk>) that needs to be worked out somehow. So now Miho is "just like the rest of us". I think her story is permanently broken.

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 am

Tangent wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 am
I so want to see a color version of Ping with rainbow hair ^_^
As do I. That would be more spectacular than the old 4-color version.

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 pm

darrin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm
@paarfi: While looking at 810 for the reference above I noticed an error in the transcript. For panel 4 it attributes Ping's line to Piro, and then has "Also shown: Ping" when she is the only one shown.
Looks like that one's on me, since the transcript over on my site has the same error and the comic site's transcripts were all sourced from mine up to a certain point.

I really need to get back to work on that site someday...

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Ray Kremer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 pm
Looks like that one's on me
The amount of effort that has gone into the transcripts and search system over the years is truly impressive. The rare minor error doesn't detract from this. You, Kalium, and paarfi all have my respect and thanks for all the work you've put into this.

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Yup she was on a bender. Just how much beer did she drink to metabolize a belly like that so fast? I takes most people a coupe of years to do that!

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Initial B wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:48 pm
Yup she was on a bender.
For some reason that makes me think of Ping riding on the shoulders of the robot character from Futurama.

...and I only just now got the pun on his name and function as a "bending unit" being that he's a drunkard (although wikipedia tells a different story).