Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: [1559] Be my eyes

Post by paarfi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 am

jkhartl wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am
I hope I can ask this without getting smacked but how old is Moeko? I got the impression that she, Rikia, and Meimi were contemporaries.
Selected quotes from [1108]:
Masamichi: <I need a report on the location of every identified EMGC in the country, now!!>
Note: EMGC = Emergent Magical Girl Candidate
Trooper: <Got it sir! All 87 accounted for!>
Trooper: <Two with potentially catastrophic potential are at after school activities. The third is still in a coma.>

I think that implies strongly that she is school age. Word-of-Fred (which isn't always reliable) is that she's a little older than Yuki.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 am

BetaCygnus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 am
I just hope Largo will jump to Erika’s aid by simply grabbing her and hauling her out of that room because whatever he cannot see is clearly distressing his girlfriend. =(

And yeah, Moeko is really twisted — agewise, socially, emotionally, like a child having to deal with a grown up body… She's a poor girl, too… =/

But… is Moeko making this all up herself, or is it the magic wand harnessing external input (and therefore, the wannabe "mature" impressions) ??? Or is it confronting Erika with some of her very private thoughts? =?

Thanks for the new update, Fred. I can't really say "I like it" in the sense of "made my day" but it is very well done and it really adds a new layer to my curiosity. =)

Now, Largo? To Erika's rescue!!! =)
So Largo grabs Erika and Moeko drops him into a pocket reality where he thinks he's saving her only he's still standing right there looking cute...

Great plan!!!

Dragonix

Post by Dragonix » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am

Eraden wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am
Now, I am not a huge fan of Largo. He's got a serious problem with trying to deal with normal social customs and this can result in him making situations a LOT worse. However, I have to commend him on being incredibly open-minded at times and having AMAZING powers of observation. Think about this, folks. In most other stories, a scenario like what we have just witnessed would have run on for scene after scene after scene with all sorts of misunderstandings running rampant. Here we not only see him being open-minded to the possibility that Erika is seeing something different than him, we get to see HOW he's reaching this conclusion. Careful observation of Erika's actions and probably thoughtful analysis of what each of those actions could possibly mean, is directing him towards attempting to be helpful to Erika by accepting her input. This is truly a refreshing strip!
This is very similar to my thoughts. Largo has a lot of flaws, but one positive trait of his that I admire is his sincere supportiveness to the people he cares about, and even people he barely knows. He seems like a dumb jerk on the surface, and maybe he is, but there is a big part of him that is just a genuinely sweet guy who wants to back up his friends. I really think he's good for Erika, and this scene is making me smile a lot. He sees what seems like crazy behavior, but instead of jumping to conclusions and judging her, he accepts that maybe she is aware of something he can't grasp, and is like "you take the lead, I'll follow". Nothing but complete trust in the woman he loves. <3

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 am

To be honest if it came down to having to snatch Erika AFAIK the only person nearby who'd have any chance of conceivably pulling it off would be Yuki. She's got the speed and is also of catastrophic level so she'd stand a chance of making it. Since Largo considers her to be his "pet" MG (which is a further reflection of his general asshattery) he could probably persuade her to help out.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 am

Dragonix wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am
Largo has a lot of flaws, but one positive trait of his that I admire is his sincere supportiveness to the people he cares about, and even people he barely knows. He seems like a dumb jerk on the surface, and maybe he is, but there is a big part of him that is just a genuinely sweet guy who wants to back up his friends. I really think he's good for Erika, and this scene is making me smile a lot. He sees what seems like crazy behavior, but instead of jumping to conclusions and judging her, he accepts that maybe she is aware of something he can't grasp, and is like "you take the lead, I'll follow". Nothing but complete trust in the woman he loves. <3
I had been thinking of it in terms of respect rather than trust, but I think you might be more right. It looks like she's acting crazy, and instead of thinking she's acting crazy he immediately assumes she can see or knows something that he doesn't. It's one of the reasons E x L works so well.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:42 am

Well now... gonna have to think on this sitch.

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:

Or is it confronting Erika with some of her very private thoughts? =?
This idea intrigues me, especially with the appearance in Miho's mind and also confronting thoughts about dying.

Arent

Post by Arent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
I just hope Largo will jump to Erika’s aid by simply grabbing her and hauling her out of that room because whatever he cannot see is clearly distressing his girlfriend. =(

And yeah, Moeko is really twisted — agewise, socially, emotionally, like a child having to deal with a grown up body… She's a poor girl, too… =/

But… is Moeko making this all up herself, or is it the magic wand harnessing external input (and therefore, the wannabe "mature" impressions) ??? Or is it confronting Erika with some of her very private thoughts? =?
I would simply say she is a teenage girl that is unable to have fun for obvious reasons. So, maybe she would like to flirt with *someone*, but she can't move.

Actually it would be funny if she would start hitting on Largo :mrgreen:

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 am
BetaCygnus wrote:
(…)
Now, Largo? To Erika's rescue!!! =)
So Largo grabs Erika and Moeko drops him into a pocket reality where he thinks he's saving her only he's still standing right there looking cute...

Great plan!!!
Actually, yeah, that *would* be my preferred strategy: getting Erika out of that room and out from under the apparent influence.
You might say that Largo is under the influence of — whatever, Moeko or the wand — since he can’t see what Erika sees, but it might just as well be that he is *not* under any influence for exactly the same symptoms: he can’t see any of it, so it may not affect him. He is not compelled to say anything he doesn’t intend to, right? Could be that his down-to-earth, not very easily shaken but rather emotionally balanced mindset cannot be (easily) affected by Moeko’s magic.

So: yeah, grabbing Erika respectfully, and gently but firmly coercing her out of that room may be a workable option.
I fully expect a 1-0 for Largo vs. Moeko’s wand.
Arent wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm
I would simply say she is a teenage girl that is unable to have fun for obvious reasons. So, maybe she would like to flirt with *someone*, but she can't move.
So… you would say that she is showing socially acceptable (or simply ‘normal’) behaviour for someone within your chosen description? =?
Arent wrote:
…for which she would have to use Erika, which would really be an even more disturbing and more acutely alarming situation for Largo, giving him all the more reason to intervene like he promised Erika.
Last edited by BetaCygnus on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 pm

It's really sweet, but Largo has the exact same chance as a 4 year old boy with a nerf bat trying to protect his mom from her abusive boyfriend.... It'd be heartbreaking and would only possibly work if Fred was going for the lulz like he did when Largo rickrolled the CoE and I simply cannot conceive the arc going that way.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Wouldn't you think that Moeko would have already cast a spell on Largo directly, if she were able to?
I think she can't — and therefore may be much less powerful from within her coma than you seem to give her credit for.
Erika, feeling highly uncomfortable, may be pulled out of the spell with Largo’s help, because of her *wanting* to get out of this embarrassing situation.

Ririka possibly knew something like this might happen and Erika might have *needed* this shocking confrontation to be forced to sort out her past, much like what Meimi said to comfort Yuki earlier on [1299]. Allowing things to get worse resulting in people getting up and taking their restoration in their own hands…

…I think. =)

I do not expect a new rampage scene as a result of this situation.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:50 pm

This scene is about Erika and Moeko though....if Erika just leaves then she will be in the very same place she was when she threw everything away and withdrew into a shell....

Heh...Largo saving her would be like taking the blue pill...go back to her safe, sad little existence as a clerk in a game store...great stuff that!

Olba

Post by Olba » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 pm

I am not sure why, but my brain just had a moment, singing "Be My Eyes" to the tune of Beauty and the Beast's "Be Our Guest"

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm
You might say that Largo is under the influence of
Blargh :)

I think he may still be under some influence, of the pain meds.

other than that, he wasn't 'under the influence' since... probably before the dinner with Sonoda's?

Maybe he can't be under the influence of magic when he isn't ... under the influence? (remember when he was walking the lonely road... until Junko found him?)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

chemi

Post by chemi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Moeko is understandably thirsty.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Pretty sure this Moeko is very close to completing her domination of Erika. Largo is her last chance to escape complete possession at this point. She needs to put as much distance as possible between her and Moeko's limp body. She needs an exorcism, protective prayer rice papers, some sage, and/or lead shielding. This is getting less likely and Largo is asking permission and talking way more when he should be acting decisively. He is respecting Erika in the way she would want and appreciate, unfortunately, he has no way of knowing just how wrong that is in this situation.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 am

Invis: I don't think Largo could have helped even if he tried.

At least he's aware that something's up...or he's surmising that something's up in that addled-gamer brain of his.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Arent

Post by Arent » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 am

BetaCygnus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm

So… you would say that she is showing socially acceptable (or simply ‘normal’) behaviour for someone within your chosen description? =?
Arent wrote:
…for which she would have to use Erika
I don't know how far this will go. As long as she is just getting physical with Erika it seems harmless. But miho has also been shown to act slightly evil.

And yes, moeko apparently needs someone else to "play" with others.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Off topic post and the replies moved to its own thread https://forums.megatokyo.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=707

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am

Just how long has Moeko been in that coma?

It’s refreshing to see Largo talk like a sane human being once in awhile, and be so supportive of Erika.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:59 am

NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am
Just how long has Moeko been in that coma?
Ririka says it was at least before the anime "about" her that Erika acted in.

Moeko herself says it was "most of [her] life". Of course Miho was unconscious and drowning at the time so feel free to take the latter with a grain of salt; and neither clue is particularly specific to begin with.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Orriens

Post by Orriens » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 pm

"WOW, those are a lot softer than I thought they'd be."

Willfon

Post by Willfon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 am

cidjen wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am
Largo can't see Erika's screen, because their setup is back-to-back, but Erika can see Moeko's screen when she turns around...

Mno, Erika is interacting with the questgiving NPC :!: . Largo can't see the cutscene.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 am

Willfon wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 am
Mno, Erika is interacting with the questgiving NPC :!: . Largo can't see the cutscene.
Lol

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am

Willfon wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 am
cidjen wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am
Largo can't see Erika's screen, because their setup is back-to-back, but Erika can see Moeko's screen when she turns around...

Haha, right, forgot Largo is actively ignoring cutscenes, lol.

[edit] Just noticed: that's Moeko's controller Piroko has in her hand huh.
So Piroko two-plays as Piro and Moeko?
Or better, she /used to/ play Moeko but got got lost in the game, and had to suspend her character (hence the coma) to create a new one (Piro).
Largo plays with Piroko on same screen (even if just sometimes), but split (like, in Lego games, lol) but is otherwise SO'd in 'RL' to player playing Erika.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )