[1559] Be my eyes

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1559] Be my eyes

Post by paarfi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 am

Fred has posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.

Fred posted this message on Patreon along with the comic:
Hey gang. Ok, same drill as the last comic (all the comics in this arc will be like this). Moeko's rather agressive physicality is important (and making me nervous drawing it) so thank you for bearing with me on this.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1559] Be my eyes

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am

Poor Erika! And BTW Largo really isn't helping at all

LogicalLube

Post by LogicalLube » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 pm

*snort*

Totally found my new avatar.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am
Poor Erika! And BTW Largo really isn't helping at all
Was he expected to? :lol:

But yeah, Erika may very well interpret his "Describe what you see!" quite differently from what he intended. (THWACK "I'm not describing THOSE, you idiot!" "Uh, those WHAT? What the heck are we talking about?")
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Largo really isn't helping at all
As I thought, it was a trap. Ririka must be on Moeko's side.
darrin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 pm
Was he expected to? :lol:
[1556] Is that even a question?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:56 pm

cidjen wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Largo really isn't helping at all
[1556] Is that even a question?
My understanding of Invisigoth's comment was that there is a difference between offering to help and actually helping (true in general of course but especially so in Largo's case ;)).

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Well we know that Kimko was a voice actor for eroge games....and it's not outside the realms of possibility that Erika has voiced a few of them back when she was starting .....

So she may well be well qualified to describe what she's seeing to Largo...not sure that's really a good idea :D

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 am

Having not seen the comic yet in dialogued form, I can't help but haave a feeling, this could be like a reversal of the bath house scene - where Piro and Miho needed Largo but he was away... now Erika and Largo are in need, and Piro is not available, at least not immediately. Only here, Largo doesn't know it yet and Erika is about to become a chew toy.

Can't wait for the page to show up :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 am

cidjen wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 pm
<snip>
Ririka must be on Moeko's side.
When I first read "kinda jelly" in the previous strip it reminded me of Ririka's language.
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 pm
So she may well be well qualified to describe what she's seeing to Largo...not sure that's really a good idea :D
Oh of course, I certainly wasn't questioning Erika's capabilities there. :lol:
cidjen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 am
the bath house scene - where Piro and Miho needed Largo but he was away...
Uh, come again for Big Fudge?

How was Largo supposed to "help"? Even Yuki showing up in her capacity as Largo's "apprentice" was pretty disastrous... Instead of Piro and Miho having a relatively quiet talk before moving quietly to another hiding place, their plans were disrupted by suddenly needing to deal with a critically injured Yutaka.

Unless this is one of those "like a fish needs a bicycle" kinda jokes. :lol:

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 am

darrin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am
How was Largo supposed to "help"?

When Miho and Piro found Yutaka, and Miho did not want to phone for the ambulance, Miho tried to explain to Piro, that getting the ambulance to come will get them killed. Piro was slow on the concept, which enraged Miho to the point, that she shoved a phone in his face and said,ok, go ahead, call for help.
At which point, the 1337 strip happened :)
And then Piro found out, that the person he thought of calling, was Largo... to which Miho said, yeah go ahead, call him... and explains, why of all people Largo would have been the one to be able to help.

(Am sorta not long after translaing this arc, u see ;) )

[typo not intended but funny so i left it there ....]

So here, this situation looks to me, like may develop into something, Largo (or Erika?) would like to call a friend for help for.

Erika may panic and call out to Largo, call for help... which may prompt Largo to try calling Piro.

Question is, does Largo have his phone, and, who has Piro's phone now...?

Or, if Largo has his LargoPhone, may he try using Tranzl33t again?

Told ya, it's a trap. Not to trap Largo, but Erika...

(I read the page, beautiful! Thanks Fred :) Makes my day.)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:00 am

Moeko's voice sounds like Vanellope von Schweetz in my head. I hope it does in your heads now as well.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am

Now, I am not a huge fan of Largo. He's got a serious problem with trying to deal with normal social customs and this can result in him making situations a LOT worse. However, I have to commend him on being incredibly open-minded at times and having AMAZING powers of observation. Think about this, folks. In most other stories, a scenario like what we have just witnessed would have run on for scene after scene after scene with all sorts of misunderstandings running rampant. Here we not only see him being open-minded to the possibility that Erika is seeing something different than him, we get to see HOW he's reaching this conclusion. Careful observation of Erika's actions and probably thoughtful analysis of what each of those actions could possibly mean, is directing him towards attempting to be helpful to Erika by accepting her input. This is truly a refreshing strip!

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Okay, this woman's a bit creepy...

Heywulf

Post by Heywulf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm

What's the "PICC Line"? Is the connection/line the sketchy rectangle on Moeko's right upper arm?

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Heywulf wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm
What's the "PICC Line"? Is the connection/line the sketchy rectangle on Moeko's right upper arm?
PICC is an acronym for a Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter, and it is, in essence, a long IV line. It is usually inserted in a smaller vein in the upper arm (peripheral), and terminates in a larger vein in the chest near the heart (central).

PICC lines are inserted using ultrasound and X-ray images to ensure that the line is in the correct spot. PICC lines can have 1-3 lumens, which allow medications to be attached and flow through the line. Additionally, blood draws for lab purposes can also be extracted from the line.

They can stay in the body for weeks or months, alleviating the need to subject your veins to the numerous needle sticks necessary if the PICC was not there. Additionally, some medications are caustic to the vasculature; PICC lines allow these medications to be delivered to larger vessels that are less likely to be damaged. PICC lines are thus a very versatile choice for patients requiring long-term venous access for conditions such as nutritional deficiencies or IV antibiotics.
https://infusionsolutionsinc.com/what-is-a-picc-line
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Heywulf

Post by Heywulf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm

To me, in these recent 2 pages, Moeko is surprising because she was presented to Erika & Largo as still deep in a coma. To Erika, Moeko's apparent sitting-up and conversing would likely be a surprise that was socially stressful: If Moeko is newly-awake, Erika has a responsibility to assist in the immediate communication (without training) with a Magic Girl with the experiences of a 5-year-old, and Erika would also have a responsibility to report to the nursing staff & doctors on duty.

But Moeko isn't sounding like a just-awoken 5-year-old. Moeko acts like a semi-socialized 17-year-old. ("Why is this coma-girl acting like a wide-awake teenager? Or a WIDE-AWAKE Magic Girl!?") That's scary, in an interpersonal-stressing way. What is the best way to react?

And then Largo says he sees, Moeko as still appearing to be in a coma. And is sitting-up & heard *only* by Erika. That starts to get into scary-monster territory (especially if Largo is hearing Erika voicing Moeko's words.) 'Awake' Magic Girl Moeko is not sticking with her anime script!

It does seem clear that Erika & Largo have built enough trust to work as a team, even when their environment moves into a MegaTokyoStrange Zone.

Heywulf

Thank you! Re: [1559] Be my eyes

Post by Heywulf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 pm

@jkhartl Thank you for the PICC info!

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 am
darrin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am
How was Largo supposed to "help"?
Piro found out, that the person he thought of calling, was Largo... to which Miho said, yeah go ahead, call him... and explains, why of all people Largo would have been the one to be able to help.
Again, I think a distinction needs to be made between "marginally better than being utterly destroyed by the Horde" and "actually rendering what an external observer would objectively describe as help". When Yuki mentions the cave there is a very palpable sense of "thank GOD we thought of someone (with a car) other than Largo"... except from Yutaka of course, who at that time had his own reasons for being afraid of her, and had not yet met Largo.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm

darrin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm
"actually rendering what an external observer would objectively describe as help
Yeah in a sense this could be said about how useful Piro might be in this scene.

Let's keep in mind that the actual harassment of Erika by Moeko has not even started yet. If and when, this comes to pass, there isn't anyone around that Largo might even know he can call. Since Junpei would be busy and Piro doubly so, of which Largo has no idea, the only option would probably be Masamichi and the TCPD. Which is probably the least appealing one, to Largo at least....
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:39 pm

The TPCD would in all likelihood be very interested in whatever it is that Moeko is doing, and terrified as well....

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Especially if, as some have speculated, Stability are the ones keeping her in a coma in the first place (out of fear of her "catastrophic-grade" capabilities).

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am

I hope I can ask this without getting smacked but how old is Moeko? I got the impression that she, Rikia, and Meimi were contemporaries.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 am

I just hope Largo will jump to Erika’s aid by simply grabbing her and hauling her out of that room because whatever he cannot see is clearly distressing his girlfriend. =(

And yeah, Moeko is really twisted — agewise, socially, emotionally, like a child having to deal with a grown up body… She's a poor girl, too… =/

But… is Moeko making this all up herself, or is it the magic wand harnessing external input (and therefore, the wannabe "mature" impressions) ??? Or is it confronting Erika with some of her very private thoughts? =?

Thanks for the new update, Fred. I can't really say "I like it" in the sense of "made my day" but it is very well done and it really adds a new layer to my curiosity. =)

Now, Largo? To Erika's rescue!!! =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am

Tee hee...

Largo's player, Erika's player and Moeko's player are in the same room.

Largo can't see Erika's screen, because their setup is back-to-back, but Erika can see Moeko's screen when she turns around...

... if you're looking for a reasonable explanation, that is :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish