[1557] I wish I could hear you talk

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

maldrul

Re: [1557] I wish I could hear you talk

Post by maldrul » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 pm
Also all attempts to dress her have failed as well. the only thing covering her is the bed sheet. Try to dress her and the clothes disappear....
Could she be stuck mid-Magical transformation?

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am
That's not going to go the way Erika had thought it was going to go.
Understatement of the chapter, right there. Maybe even the book.
eomdal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm
So, a milestone in the Megatokyo story, right up there with the power lines and Piro's panic. Is Erika going to go back to acting now? What manner of space-time-reality kerfuffle is this going to dump on Sonoda Masamichi's plate? And is Largo going to have to get a lawn mower?
If the guesses about who and what Moeko is are right this is likely more momentous than either of those. That sound you don't hear is Masamichi screaming in a voice only dogs can hear, and Largo will have to rent every Zilla in MT.
BetaCygnus wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:03 am
...So, thank you once more. Your characters really touch my heart. <3
Everything BC said, cubed. I read a lot of webcomics where the artist has a solid schedule. None of them are what I art. Aside from MT I'm only reading two that meet that criteria (Dresden Codak and dead Winter) and neither of them has any discernible schedule.
Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 am
Erika asked Largo if he was going to protect her from a little girl in a coma, but who will protect Largo?
Yuki. If Largo was able to hear Moeko, I suspect he started reaching for his phone before she was done talking.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm
So it could still be Erika speaking... because she sure is acting like she being magically dominated or compelled in this comic.
My theory of her just messing Largo last comic seems highly unlikely now.
Teddy, you have a nasty, suspicious mind, and I'm leaning strongly in your direction (THAT'S a first.) Her expression in Panel 3 is very strange, and the way she's talking 'I'm told you are Moeko-Chan' is very weird. Maybe she's just not sure how to deal with this, but that expression - the raised eyebrow and the half smile - make me acutely uncomfortable. It seems...foreign. Almost feral. The difference between this and Panel 1 is shocking. And her expression in Panel 6 is no better. Are those tears of sympathy, or of rage or terror at being controlled? Of course, if she's being controlled, why speak aloud? Maybe Moeko can control her, but not communicate via that control? Maybe she wants Largo to hear this? (Maybe Teddy and I are both just slightly paranoid?)

This is of course pure guesswork, but I have a nasty feeling that her teasing comment about Largo rescuing her is going to be a premonition.

[EDIT] Going back and looking at the comic again, Panel 3 is striking in it's setup. It's given far more space than needed, with Erika's face in the exact middle of the comic, and NO background despite the size of the panel, which makes it highly unusual for Fred. It's almost like Fred is waving a red flag here, emphasizing how critical this panel and her expression is. (That, or I'm being just slightly paranoid again.)
cidjen wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm
...also why Erika isn't mentioned ever attempting or being drawn into playing Miho's story? Doesn't even know there is one? Because she's already plaing Moeko, that's why. She would not be considered to play the 'earlier' story (Miho), also I guess it would be too far out of character for Erika to play The Sick Girl Miho. And so the opportunity opened for Kimiko to be let into playing the Miho part... which she got by not being her usual self.
So this sorta lines up :) maybe not totally watertight but I think some water it does hold.
I like it. I agree that Erika would be far out of character playing Sick Girl. And the idea that Kimiko and Erika might end up working together on a show seems pretty cool. And if we worried about making these theories watertight, It'd be a lot quieter in here.
darrin wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm
When Ririka was talking about Yuki being "the real Magic Girl right here!", and about Yuki's mother not having set off any Sparklogen-reactive "alarms", Erika didn't react one way or another, which doesn't really narrow down the possibilites.
I can't picture Erika having a Mundane Field powerful enough to blind her to Yuki's hyperspeed doctor fetch. She doesn't even blink at the discussion between Ririka and Yuki about damage to Yukata and the damage that Ririka did to her boyfriend back in the day.
maldrul wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm
So, when Erika quit, the real Moeko should have died, but Miho tried to step in but couldn't control the part and Masamichi "nearly lost Tokyo" over it. So now Moeko is in a coma instead of dead because she retained some life from Miho's antics.
Oh, I like that. Quite a bit. I've always wondered about the 'nearly lost Tokyo' incident. Also, this potential relevation of Moeko's power (Let's make her Class 10 minimum) does not decrease my unease regarding Moeko's potential hijacking of Erika's body here.
darrin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 am
... then the devil would be in the details, Moeko's reveals (if any) would be more along the lines of "you thought you knew about Stability, but here's what they're doing behind the scenes..." A potentially bigger existential crisis for Erika ("THAT's what I was helping to keep secret???"), consistent with what some of us were seeing from the Old Man in regards to Ping (when others had dismissed him as a simple garden-variety pervert).
Makes sense. Erika knows about the Magic, and about Monsters (I think Boo falls into this category), but not about the Conspiracy.

===

OK, this is stupid long - but there was a lot of good discussion in the forums, on lots of fronts. And I really, really hope Teddy's wrong about Moeko.

Zandra

Post by Zandra » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
@Darrin, according to Fred during discussions in Twitch attempts to keep Moeko's wand away from her have all failed. TPCD locks it in increasingly secure and hardened vaults and within a day it's back in her hand in her room. I think all attempts to destroy it have failed too, "Yep, burned that sucker to ashes and launched them into space!" and the wand is back in her hand...

Also all attempts to dress her have failed as well. the only thing covering her is the bed sheet. Try to dress her and the clothes disappear....
Dont you know the SCP foundation is originally part of the outfit SOnada is in? Moekos wand is a world ender Apollyon class item.

I think there might be a instrumentality of sorts that happens when these two finally do batle. Maybe th eonly way for her to live is for everyone but her and piro to turn to LCL.
I WAS the Owner of Wolfboys 800th post but SOMEBODY had to go and get a new Forum lol!

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Zandra wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
@Darrin, according to Fred during discussions in Twitch attempts to keep Moeko's wand away from her have all failed. TPCD locks it in increasingly secure and hardened vaults and within a day it's back in her hand in her room. I think all attempts to destroy it have failed too, "Yep, burned that sucker to ashes and launched them into space!" and the wand is back in her hand...

Dont you know the SCP foundation is originally part of the outfit SOnada is in? Moekos wand is a world ender Apollyon class item.

I think there might be a instrumentality of sorts that happens when these two finally do batle. Maybe th eonly way for her to live is for everyone but her and piro to turn to LCL.
Yay for catching an oblique SCP reference!!!!

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm
Zandra wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Yay for catching an oblique SCP reference!!!!
Ow. My head hurts. Making this very un-hip graying forumite look up "SCP" was bad enough. Then you had to re-awaken memories of that very odd anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. (I think I still have it on VHS somewhere. Do I still even have a VCR? Double ow. :) )

I was going to ask how Moeko gets likened unto Rei Ayanami, but Piro has a thing for "Girl Phase", and Moeko is the inspiration for Erika's role in "Girl Phase", so I guess it works.

And another thing: If Moeko is in a coma, and can't take food or drink by mouth, where are the IV lines?
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Roamer wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 am
Teddy, you have a nasty, suspicious mind, and I'm leaning strongly in your direction (THAT'S a first.) ... And I really, really hope Teddy's wrong about Moeko.
I got back into gaming regularly in the last 9 months, so my latent grognard paranoia has been modernized with the latest edition and input from interactions with young fresh minds. My caution meter got a tune up, chipped, and a stage two turbo installed... I like taking it out for a spin.
What does your gut tell you? Mine does not auger well for the hospital risky business.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 am

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:17 pm
Ow. My head hurts. Making this very un-hip graying forumite look up "SCP" was bad enough. Then you had to re-awaken memories of that very odd anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. (I think I still have it on VHS somewhere. Do I still even have a VCR? Double ow. :) )
If you haven't heard Evangelion is now on Netflix
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:18 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:04 pm
Roamer wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:48 am
Teddy, you have a nasty, suspicious mind, and I'm leaning strongly in your direction (THAT'S a first.) ... And I really, really hope Teddy's wrong about Moeko.
I got back into gaming regularly in the last 9 months, so my latent grognard paranoia has been modernized with the latest edition and input from interactions with young fresh minds. My caution meter got a tune up, chipped, and a stage two turbo installed... I like taking it out for a spin.
What does your gut tell you? Mine does not auger well for the hospital risky business.
I grew up in the intelligence community, and my RPG history is old enough to vote, so my paranoia is pretty well honed.
If we go off capabilities and past interactions....
-We know Moeko is powerful and has a powerful weapon, but has a bad heart and little stamina.-
-We know she's frustrated and has a temper.
-We know that that doesn't match with Ririka's memories of her.
-We know she's been in a coma for a long time - using Yukata's age as a baseline, 16 years.
-We know she's aware of things happening outside, at least to Miho.

Worst case? My concern is that being trapped in her own head for this long she may be clinically psychotic. The traditional MG powers don't include mental control, but she's had nothing to do but practice trying. My gut...weak as she is I don't think Moeko could control someone for long, but she wouldn't need long to pour (metaphorical) poison into Erika's ear, or leave her temporarily mentally unbalanced. But that wouldn't make Erika to go back to playing her. A few minutes in Erika's head should convince her of that - if she's sane.

It's probably not this bad. Historically Fred isn't as much of a fatalist as we are, and I don't think he wants to spend the next year telling the story of dominated-Erika and insane-Moeko battling enraged-Largo and sad-Yuki. That would just be a distraction. I think Moeko's in there, but will withdraw when she realizes Erika's too strong emotionally to be dominated into restarting Girl Phase. So instead we're going to have a loud argument, an apology, and an angry discussion.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 am

Hahaha

Y'all postulating a Moeko who's to the real Moeko as Mary Poppins is to Miho.

You're totally on the wrong track and haven't gone nearly far enough

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 am

Vis: you mean Moeko is Nanny McPhee to Miho, then? :)

Hah, that's...

Imagination Barf Incoming.

So Miho was the Sick Girl, who was the Naughty Girl who was Lifted from the Water by Pirates (well technically a Lively Girl who was a Good Girl, but then turned Pirate Queen, because her Family would have condemned her for Going With Pirates anyway, so she wanted to get Something Good out of that before her Illness kicked in).

Then she was ushered away to a Remote Estate and her Family got Moeko drafted in as the Government Magical Girl Nanny to make the Naughty Depressed Bent-On-Revenge Child a Good Child again. Oof.

(edit: now done editing)
Last edited by cidjen on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 am

Call her TPCD-106: Do Not Follow the Little Girl

Not sure what her wand is yet

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am

The wand will turn into a hammer and will play Whack-A-Largo on next comic.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Ubu

Post by Ubu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

cidjen wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am
Or Largo will use the phone to >PWN< her life support.

For all the bitching I did, at least Fred knocked it out of the park. I don't know what the hell's going on at this point. Or is that a bad thing? :ph34r:

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Ubu wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm
cidjen wrote:

For all the bitching I did, at least Fred knocked it out of the park. I don't know what the hell's going on at this point. Or is that a bad thing? :ph34r:
She doesn't need life support....

Honestly for all the people wanting Largo to >PWN< anyone just remember the time he rickrolled the CoE and how badly all the readers reacted to that...
SpoilerShow
I thought it was funny....

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Just a stupid question.

If Erika played Moeko, and they are both in the same room, and Moeko can actually hear Erika talking — and she is holding that wand…

I still can’t believe Moeko is "channeling" through Erika. Erika seems too much like the awkward hospital visitor to me — all throughout this comic except for the bottom left panel. But that is just *my* impression. In that panel, she seems to be quite herself to me — and it is *that* panel which seems to trigger… well…

Reading through the comic again, I can’t help thinking that somehow, the wand may have responded to Erika’s "I wish…" in the second-to-last panel. I mean, Erika got exactly what she wished for, right? I don’t know the connected anime, but wasn’t there a kind of standard formula to activate the wand’s magic? "I wish…" seems pretty straightforward protocol…

Can it be that because there is this link between Moeko and Erika, the wand actually responded to Erika’s spoken "I wish…" — kind of "through" Moeko? Or am I missing everything again and was that already a general consensus up here? =D
Last edited by BetaCygnus on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm

Well so far the only people that we have seen to be able to interact with Moeko are Miho, who provided energy and life to her, and Erika who gave life to her character as portrayed in Girl Phase.

In both cases where Moeko directly interacted there was a great deal of surprise. Miho was of course confronted about the whole dying thing which apparently has something to do with Moeko's persistent state and now Erika who bailed on her character which likely had a bad effect as well.

Instead of brain dead angst over ZOMGWTFBBQ it's more likely that Moeko sees an opportunity to become physically active.

I highly doubt that the TPCD want her to be active and Stability is fine with sacrificing a single young girls life in exchange for perceived peace.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm
Ubu wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm
cidjen wrote:

She doesn't need life support....

Honestly for all the people wanting Largo to >PWN< anyone just remember the time he rickrolled the CoE and how badly all the readers reacted to that...
Also this is a hospital, and >PWN< is the electronic equivalent of a bomb. Whatever else he is, Largo has always shown consideration for bystanders. In that aspect, he would be outstanding as a cop. (Sentences I never thought I would write, entry #32...)

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Well so far the only people that we have seen to be able to interact with Moeko are Miho, who provided energy and life to her, and Erika who gave life to her character as portrayed in Girl Phase.

In both cases where Moeko directly interacted there was a great deal of surprise. Miho was of course confronted about the whole dying thing which apparently has something to do with Moeko's persistent state and now Erika who bailed on her character which likely had a bad effect as well.

Instead of brain dead angst over ZOMGWTFBBQ it's more likely that Moeko sees an opportunity to become physically active.

I highly doubt that the TPCD want her to be active and Stability is fine with sacrificing a single young girls life in exchange for perceived peace.
I'm thinking you mean Erika and not Moeko here? If Stability wanted Moeko gone and could actually manage it, it would have done it already. I'm assuming the wand is in automated defense mode and as already noted, can't be separated from her. That makes the cost of elimination too high.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 am
Hahaha

Y'all postulating a Moeko who's to the real Moeko as Mary Poppins is to Miho.

You're totally on the wrong track and haven't gone nearly far enough
Entirely possible and not at all reassuring, IG...

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm

I'm thinking you mean Erika and not Moeko here? If Stability wanted Moeko gone and could actually manage it, it would have done it already. I'm assuming the wand is in automated defense mode and as already noted, can't be separated from her. That makes the cost of elimination too high.
They don't want Moeko dead, she's much more useful to them in what they believe to be a persistent vegetative state...except for some anomalous problems like never having to actually feed her, that she has apparently grown and developed normally, that they can't get rid of the wand....

Still, as long as she's still and quiet and not being a bother then stories based on her potential have a use

Zandra

Post by Zandra » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 am
Call her TPCD-106: Do Not Follow the Little Girl

Not sure what her wand is yet
The true elder wand perhaps? Anyway Seems like Stability can be compared to SEELE. Both had the goal of perpetuating mankind in one way or another.
I WAS the Owner of Wolfboys 800th post but SOMEBODY had to go and get a new Forum lol!

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 pm

I do wish Moeko would wake up, and be a "normal" girl; it would be great fun if she tried to make a move on Chewtoy in front of Yuki....... ;)

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
That's right, ladies and gentlemen. This is Sailor Eros. :ninja:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:17 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
That's right, ladies and gentlemen. This is Sailor Eros. :ninja:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You've not been watching the Twitch stream, have you?

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Roamer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:18 am
I grew up in the intelligence community, and my RPG history is old enough to vote, so my paranoia is pretty well honed.
RPG me has had the vote so long that it has been in the adult voting demographic category thru two Presidencies. :ugeek: