[1555] Go see her

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1555] Go see her

Post by paarfi » Sat May 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Fred has posted the comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1555] Go see her

Post by Invisigoth » Sat May 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Injuries are part of the package when you hook up with MG's....and when they come dragging in late just be grateful that she came home to you and that you're still alive to appreciate it....

I think Erika is about to have a life changing experience though...

First she came to see Miho to tell her not to die and now Ririka is sending Erika to see her....

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 pm

So, an actress who gave a character life is now going to see the character in person? Won't that cause some kind of metaphysical feedback loop thingy? In normal circumstances, Riraka probably wouldn't have sent Erika to Moeko's room if that were the case, but there's meds involved.

Even if not, it could still give Erika a serious guilt trip: she could think that her abrupt abandonment of her career is what put Moeko in that state, and she could be right. If Dom learns of this, he could get Sega to acquire the rights to Girl Phase so he can guilt-trip her into coming back to the industry by dangling the chance for Erika to give Moeko life again. Largo needs to find a lawn mower now, just in case.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 am

eomdal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 pm
Even if not, it could still give Erika a serious guilt trip: she could think that her abrupt abandonment of her career is what put Moeko in that state, and she could be right.
Moeko was in the coma before Erika played the role (MT1500). Also check out MT 1540 and 1541.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 am

jkhartl wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:18 am
eomdal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:27 pm
Even if not, it could still give Erika a serious guilt trip: she could think that her abrupt abandonment of her career is what put Moeko in that state, and she could be right.
Moeko was in the coma before Erika played the role (MT1500). Also check out MT 1540 and 1541.
Adding clickable links and expanding on jkhartl's excellent real Moeko reference list:
[1499] - Ririka on Moeko 1
[1500] - Ririka on Meoko 2
[1540] - Moeko vs Miho 1
[1541] - Moeko vs Miho 2
[1108] - TPCD
also
[469] - Girl Phase DVD

edit to note: I didn't include the other Man-Moeko and Moeko anime links since they don't tell us a lot about the real Moeko. The search ninjas make those easy to find though: Search for Meoko.

edit 2: forgot 1108 where the TPCD imply that Moeko is a "catastrophic grade" emergent magical girl.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun May 12, 2019 11:00 am

I think Moeka has been an underlying force in MT since the start even though Fred didn't have all the puzzle pieces together. Miho is the source of her power and story and I think that the way Order has manipulated things may be why Moeka is in a coma but Erika is currently crucial for her story to progress. Otherwise if she dies a new MG may arise in her place and with the changes to Miho's story she might well be a bit to the Dark side of the MG spectrum.

Largo needs to stay the hell out of the way and give Erika her space and time

Serious question, how can you like Erika and hate Miho in the story space we have here?

darrin

Post by darrin » Sun May 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Ha, the long-awaited Moeko approaches.

When Fred does "the plot thickens", we're talking neutronium-level thickness. :lol:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Well this is interesting. Ririka is lots of fun as usual, and she obviously totally understands the Yuki x Yutaka situation and difficulties. She just as obviously approves of the two of them together, which is nice.

Erika offering support for Yuki is nice too. Erika is good people.

Then of course the big moment, as Ririka tells Erika to go visit Moeko. I wonder how that will go. Moeko is in a coma, and even though she spoke to Miho, Erika is probably too muggle and too not-dead for that to work here. Erika can talk to Moeko, of course, and I expect that will happen. I wonder what she'll say.

Erika has been in a really good place latel [1150], and she's even seemed to be feeling more comfortable as an (ex)idol again [1226] [1458]. Since Ririka (and others) think Moeko might just be hanging around until Erika finishes her story [1500], I wonder if Erika will do that. If she did, I don't think ti would be out a guilt-trip, like eomdal suggests, but rather because she's a generous and caring person. Erika does stuff like that [629] [1151].

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sun May 12, 2019 10:41 pm

And maybe take a well balanced, hospital approved, meal to her room while you are at it... Erika?

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:10 am

Ever since I finally went to the effort of finding and watching the Nurse Angel Ririka series (to see for myself what our Ririka was stated to be based on :D), I have been thinking, no offense to Mr. Kobayashi (who was evidently cool enough to snag Ririka :D), but I kinda liked Seita -- he was a riot too and I kinda would have liked to see how Ririka and Yutaka Uzaki turned out.

Except now it occurs to me that Seita himself may have been part of the package made up out of whole cloth by Stability for the version of Ririka for public consumption. Either the real Kobayashi-kun's exploits were considered to "boring" to be included in that representation...

Or, more likely imo and potentially more sinister, those exploits were considered too subversive for said public representation. There's still essentially nothing to go on in-comic about "Stability" (other than one, or perhaps too, uses of the word nearly devoid of context), but the subtext seems to vaguely imply that one possible goal of theirs is to keep the public complacent and thus "under control". "A mundane boy helping an actual Magical Girl? Hell no we don't want that idea getting out there. Water it down and make him a well-meaning but marginally effective goofball."

Either way, Yutaka might very well benefit from a good heart-to-heart from Mr. Kobayashi. "Not that I want you putting yourself in danger son, but sooner or later that cute little thing is gonna do what they always do: her mouth's gonna write a check her butt can't cash. And when she does, and finds herself up against something she can't quite handle, you're gonna have one question to ask yourself: do you want to be there for her, or do you want to find yourself wishing you had been?"

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Mon May 13, 2019 12:22 am

So, I take it that Largo still can not understand Japanese? He seems to be watching their body language in a rather intense fashion. I really do hope he bows out of this impending visit to Moeko. He's a bull in a china shop and without being able to understand the language,he's probably going to stir up more trouble. As a character, he's good for comedy relief but in delicate situations he's like bringing an APC INTO a fine dining establishment.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 am

I almost expect to hear Largo say something accidentally profound when they get to room 5424. Erika's presence will more than likely wake Moeko from her coma, I'm guessing.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 am

Ooooooooh… NICE!!!

NICE to find a new post on the morning of my birthday! =D
NICE to see all those *other* familiar faces again!!! =D
NICE hunour!!! Haha, Ririka!!! =D
NICE reference and I really hope Ririka is referring to the original Moeko. =D
NICE very touching end to a very funny page! =.)
No seriously, even with the Yuki-panic, that last panel brought tears to my eyes…

Thanks, Fred! =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am

Eraden wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:22 am
So, I take it that Largo still can not understand Japanese? … As a character, he's good for comedy relief but in delicate situations he's like bringing an APC INTO a fine dining establishment.
I do not think I fully agree with you, Eraden. Okay, Largo may not understand any of the language, and yes, he’s good for comedy relief. But ever since Fred went solo with MegaTokyo, Largo’s character has - to my limited understanding of MT - developed into a personality with a very potent positive influence in some inline people’s lives — and I daresay some real life persons as well. If anyone can only read ‘comic relief’ in everything Largo does, then I would kindly ask that person to read MT once more — and look more closely at the effect Largo has on the persons he cannot communicate with in any other way than with his facial expressions, body language — and his actions. Somehow, as far as I can see, he always seems to do something exactly right, and not only with Erika… no matter how extensive the collateral damage around him that may be caused by his actions.

But that's just my penny worth.
=)

cryum

Post by cryum » Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 am

Yeah, Largo's pulled off a LOT with only visual and emotional cues to work off of. Much of the good he's done was accomplished by keeping his mouth shut, and talking to him is mainly for figuring out why he does what he does.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am

BetaCygnus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 am
NICE to find a new post on the morning of my birthday! =D
Oh hey, happy B-day, B-Cyg. :D

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

After reading what Darrin said I had to look up the anime and watch a few episodes. Personally I think Seiya (he spelled it Seita) is Mr. Kobayashi (Seiya/Somma) of course after having been changed up a bit too. The kid, Seiya, reminded me a lot of Yuki's boyfriend (and he did get hurt a lot, though probably censored way down from what Ririka was saying). It seems more like Stability added a lot of glamor and slapstick to the story. (If anyone was invented from whole cloth I would suspect it was the handsome guy from another planet. Not that I think aliens can't exist in Megatokyo, but he was too conveniently handsome to match the prettified Ririka.)

I can hardly wait to see what happens when Erica meets Moeko!

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon May 13, 2019 2:44 pm

darrin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am
Oh hey, happy B-day, B-Cyg. :D
Thanks, Darrin! =D

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Mamma Peach wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm
Personally I think Seiya (he spelled it Seita) is Mr. Kobayashi (Seiya/Somma)
Whoops, sorry for the typo there. And I had forgotten that Yutaka's brother is (also?) named Seiya...

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:13 pm
Injuries are part of the package when you hook up with MG's....and when they come dragging in late just be grateful that she came home to you and that you're still alive to appreciate it....

First she came to see Miho to tell her not to die and now Ririka is sending Erika to see her....
Actually, that was Yakagushi, while they were on the train escaping from the Ninjas.

However, as to the room number, are you sure it's in the hospital and not at the love hotel? Without specific references, this is open to any sort of interpretation.
Also Invisgoth wrote:Serious question, how can you like Erika and hate Miho in the story space we have here?
Just as I can hate Hillary Clinton since she's a conniving bitch regardless of what her intentions were, I can hate Miho because she's a manipulative bitch regardless of her intentions. "Those who come into equity must do so with clean hands".
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Is that nurse Joy for Pokemon dispensing the drugs?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed May 15, 2019 4:42 am

Yay a page ! thank you Fred ! Very nice !

IDK what is more cute, nurse Ririka in bed or the two love birds beside her. But Ririka did say she was always super-duper cute.
Rapierman wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Actually, that was Yakagushi, while they were on the train escaping from the Ninjas.
No, the vision of Moeko was when Yakugashi was pulling Miho out of the river and maybe clearing her airways.
Miho snapped out of that just as Yaku was saying 'please don't die'.
Rapierman wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
However, as to the room number, are you sure it's in the hospital and not at the love hotel? Without specific references, this is open to any sort of interpretation.
That would be very meta with what Miho did to Piro, but I don't think so - Fred pointed out during chat, that the hospital was featured in the Kanon series, so it definitely IS a hospital...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 am

If you hate Miho for allegedly being manipulative then what about Yaku who got herself into a great deal of trouble manipulation Junpei’s feelings for her mother or Yuki and what she did to Yutaka

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Wed May 15, 2019 11:31 am

From Cidgen's link... Wow. So the whole hospital is relocated from a different island to (mega)Tokyo, or is there one like it in Tokyo too?

(So I don't double post...) I misread the comic when I gave Mr. Kobayashi's name as Somma (really it was her saying "some of"... dumb mistake)... So, do we know what Mr. Kobayashi's name actually is or not?

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 am
If you hate Miho for allegedly being manipulative then what about Yaku who got herself into a great deal of trouble manipulation Junpei’s feelings for her mother or Yuki and what she did to Yutaka
Shame the old forum archives are still down, I could dig up an ancient post of mine in response to similar "Miho is manipulative" arguments going on at one point.

Short version: if Miho is "manipulative" she really really sucks at it, and is really really dense for not appearing to be aware that she sucks at it. Except Fred has not depicted her as a dense or non-self-aware character. Much was made for example of the call to Piro from the top of the telephone pole in 512; but Piro's reaction in 513 isn't that of someone who's been successfully manipulated, or someone who's recognized that they were being manipulated and resents it. He's just... confused. Which is an appropriate response if Miho was just teasing and messing with him, but not "manipulating" him per se -- attempting to achieve a particular goal without disclosing that goal. (What does Piro do after that phone call, that he wouldn't have done if she didn't call?)

Of course that was long before I saw the conflict around 1280, which I conceded in another Miho thread a few months back was indeed the most manipulative I'd ever seen her (the first time, given my above interpretation, but whatever). But again, Piro isn't blindly "manipulated" into helping her... he suspects quite strongly that he's facing an attempt at manipulation, but consciously chooses to act on the possibility, however remote, that she actually needs help, regardless of how she might be "asking" (or pretending not to ask) for help. (That's not even considering the possibility that she was actually sincere in 1291 and 1292 that she shouldn't have come and that he shouldn't go with her to "help". Yes I know the Miho-haters will completely discount this possibility; but for the rest of us, if she's not lying about everything, if what she's told Kimiko about her past and what she's been trying to tell Piro about the trouble she's currently in are true, then it's at least a consistent possibility.)

Obviously if she is trying to manipulate Piro in that scene, or ever did previously, then "failing at it" wouldn't be much of a defense; there's no real distinction between "manipulation" and "attempted manipulation" of course. Again though I claim that Fred has depicted her as much smarter than that; the idea that she's manipulative and bad at it and unaware of this is a more complicated hypothesis and requires much more specific assumptions in interpreting what we've seen of her in the comic. She rarely tells the whole truth of course but to me that is easily explained by her being unwilling or unable to describe the truth about her life -- or lives -- to the mundanes around her; "people who love her die in her story" ought to be a plausible motive for her being alternately drawn to Piro, and trying to aloofly tease him or more forcefully push him away.

Unless one is deliberately rejecting any possible intentions of hers when passing judgement, of course. :(