[1553] Oops

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1553] Oops

Post by paarfi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Fred has posted the comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably later tonight.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1553] Oops

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Ping has a high regard for Piro's abilities doesn't she? Probably due to his expertise in shoujo manga

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:58 pm

Yeah, I kind of forgot about Piro and Kimiko, too. And the Miho horde who might or might not twig on Kimiko and reassemble at The Foxhole. And that The Foxhole is now a focus of anger for the Ninja clan. And the fact that Junko has never met Piro. (She has, however briefly met Kimiko, when she tried to translate for Largo).

Thing is, I'm having trouble imagining what effect that Piro and/or Kimiko could have on the drama in the break room.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:51 pm

eomdal wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:58 pm
Thing is, I'm having trouble imagining what effect that Piro and/or Kimiko could have on the drama in the break room.
Much embarrassment for Piro and Kimiko.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:29 pm

"Sorry Ping-chan, but Piro-san is kinda busy right now."
eomdal wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:58 pm
The effect will be that Fred will have to figure out how to fit 7 people into every frame rather than a mere 5. :D

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 pm

I honestly can't imagine Fred letting Ping and whoever actually intrude on Kimi and Piro.

I have a good imagination and a twisted sense of humor but I just feel vaguely horrified at the notion of that happening.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 pm
I honestly can't imagine Fred letting Ping and whoever actually intrude on Kimi and Piro.
Oh sure. Ping goes racing off to find Piro-san, and we get a Scooby-Doo style chase sequence with them running in and out of doors. Maybe Fred could get the website to play Yakkity Sax, but even without that it's still a great opportunity to show off some of the other theme rooms at the Foxhole. Then Ping finds the right door, stops in in the doorway, and shouts "Piro-san!". Her four pursuers pile into her from behind and they all tumble into the room. They look up, and we see Piro and Kimiko playing Splatoon on a Playstation while Kimiko's hair dries.

It practically writes itself. :geek:

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm

yeah....Kimi and Piro are not playing on a Playstation....

chemi

Post by chemi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm
I think Kimi could be convinced if Ping was actually willing. She was devastated when Megumi said the threesome question was a joke.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 pm

chemi wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:29 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
I think Kimi could be convinced if Ping was actually willing. She was devastated when Megumi said the threesome question was a joke.
I feel so terrible about laughing at this...

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 pm

I have a good imagination and a twisted sense of humor but I just feel vaguely horrified at the notion of that happening.
Walking in on Piro right now is about the worst thing that could happen to him, so yes, that sounds right about on track. Protagonists are defined by how much they suffer, after all.

[Hospital scene, a young couple holding their baby as a concerned doctor is talking to them]
DOCTOR: I'm afraid we've run the tests, and there's no doubt. Your daughter is.... is ....

YOUNG MOTHER: What is it doctor? We can handle it together.

DOCTOR: A protagonist.

YOUNG FATHER: No! There must be some way to fight this!

DOCTOR: Fighting it will make it even worse. Your daughter is doomed to a life of trial, suffering, pain, and being an inspirational role model. You should plan on your insurance companies voiding your life insurance. The tragic death of a parent is often seen in these cases.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Gamecube? ;)

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 am

paarfi wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:29 pm
"Sorry Ping-chan, but Piro-san is kinda busy right now."
Not to be a grammar nazi but I believe it is spelled "biZAY".

Except Megumii is not gong to be saying anything useful anytime soon; after "Ninja?" she has gone completely bug-eyed and slack-jawed, and will be deep in her own little world for the duration. ("oh yeah they're down the --" was just automatic flushing of what was already in the buffer.)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

MoneyMan

Post by MoneyMan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:01 pm

I am guessing that if Ping does go in there all we will see is her panicking.

Or, could she go into full enforcement mode and try to put a stop to it? Like when Largo used to be naked around her.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:05 pm

I don't really know sign language so please forgive me if I am misinterpreting this, but in that last panel was Ashe trying to cut Megumi off from saying anything else about Piro and Kimiko? If so, I have a funny feeling that Ashe and Granny might be the only sensible ones in that room right now.

TarsTarkas

Post by TarsTarkas » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Eraden wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:05 pm
I don't really know sign language so please forgive me if I am misinterpreting this, but in that last panel was Ashe trying to cut Megumi off from saying anything else about Piro and Kimiko? If so, I have a funny feeling that Ashe and Granny might be the only sensible ones in that room right now.
I sure hope so, because they are a business, and they just violated their customer's privacy. And in the business they are in, their client's privacy is paramount. If they let Ping go rampaging through the hotel, their customers won't ever be coming back. God save them if Ping actually finds Piro and Kimiko, cause their name will be mud.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Megs, you do know you're a as big an idiot as Ping, right? :roll:

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:44 pm

TarsTarkas wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm
Eraden wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:05 pm
I sure hope so, because they are a business, and they just violated their customer's privacy. And in the business they are in, their client's privacy is paramount. If they let Ping go rampaging through the hotel, their customers won't ever be coming back. God save them if Ping actually finds Piro and Kimiko, cause their name will be mud.
Piro and Kimiko they might finesse. What about all the other customers in the hotel? Might be a little difficult.

Granted, it could get all kinds of fun if paparazzi get the right picture of Piro and Kimiko.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Liminaut wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:44 pm
Granted, it could get all kinds of fun if paparazzi get the right picture of Piro and Kimiko.
"Honest, it's not like that! It was toner, he was washing printer toner out of my hair!"
"Ah, I see, is this a mutual fetish then, or which of you..."
"NO!!!" :oops:

Man, I gotta dig my "boxes" rescript out of the attic and dust it off, I am starting to smell a sequel coming down the pike...

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 pm

So, there's probably two things going on at the same time:

Regarding PIng: Well, this is about to get very interesting....and very embarrassing....in a hurry.

Regarding the other, I have no idea where that is going regarding Ashe and Megumi's conversation.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 pm
Regarding the other, I have no idea where that is going regarding Ashe and Megumi's conversation.
Ashe is trying to find out if Megumi knows that Ping is a robot. From her response, Megumi does not.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 pm

paarfi wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 pm
Ashe is trying to find out if Megumi knows that Ping is a robot. From her response, Megumi does not.
Megumi: Name?
Ping: My.. name?
Megumi: :roll: No, _my_ name!
Ping: I do not know your name!
Megumi: Listen young lady, you play games with me and you're _through_!
Ping: Ooh, I like games! So I can go after that?
Megumi (to Ashe): So, whaddaya think?
Ashe: She's a doll.
Megumi: That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard; of course she's a "doll", she's adorable, but she's like... a retard or something... :?

Fujii Yakumo
Location: Pikesville, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland

Post by Fujii Yakumo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm

This is perhaps a bit off topic, but I'm wondering about how well Ashe actually hears, or doesn't....

She's been referred to as deaf, by Megumi a comic or two ago, but a few pages before, Fred drew the comic in such a way as to suggest that Ashe can hear voices, but can't make sense of them. Between that, and the fact that she's wearing a T-shirt that references cymbals, I have to wonder if she's truly deaf, or merely hard-of-hearing. Or maybe she has minor brain-damage (congenital, possibly) that affects the speech-centers of her brain, both for producing speech (rendering her mute) and for understanding speech (rendering her "deaf" for purposes of conversation, for example).

Is there such a thing as "speech-deafness", analogous to "tone-deafness" (for music)?
Said Phoebe Snow
About to go
Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

Murren

Post by Murren » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm
This is perhaps a bit off topic, but I'm wondering about how well Ashe actually hears, or doesn't....

She's been referred to as deaf, by Megumi a comic or two ago, but a few pages before, Fred drew the comic in such a way as to suggest that Ashe can hear voices, but can't make sense of them. Between that, and the fact that she's wearing a T-shirt that references cymbals, I have to wonder if she's truly deaf, or merely hard-of-hearing. Or maybe she has minor brain-damage (congenital, possibly) that affects the speech-centers of her brain, both for producing speech (rendering her mute) and for understanding speech (rendering her "deaf" for purposes of conversation, for example).

Is there such a thing as "speech-deafness", analogous to "tone-deafness" (for music)?
Based on my reading of the comics, I have inferred that Ashe is extremely fluent in reading lips, and that the comics which show normal speech bubbles of people talking to Ashe, indicate that she looks at them while they are speaking and she is able to know what they are saying based on reading their lips. To me, Comic 1550 ("raging noises") indicates that Ashe's hearing itself is bad enough that she is unable to discern words, but is still capable of barely hearing that someone is yelling.

But those are just my inferences, which may or may not be correct! I don't fully know how deafness works. My brother's wife's cousin is partly deaf, but she can still talk to people, but her talking is a little off (if you have been around someone who is deaf who is talking (or if you've watched "Mr. Holland's Opus"), you'll know what I mean).

Maybe Ashe's hearing is bad enough that she was never able to learn how to produce speech in a way that people will understand at all (due to not having a reference point by which she can know what her speech sounds like, and therefore she would sound extremely different than she thought she sounded, to the point where her words were not understandable at all), and that's why she doesn't talk? idk.

(Edit: also I realized I slightly misunderstood your post before I responded to it). Well, in any case, those are my thoughts on the situation... The Zildjian cymbals shirt is interesting though, as well.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

S1arburst

Post by S1arburst » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Fujii Yakumo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Murren wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm

But those are just my inferences, which may or may not be correct! I don't fully know how deafness works. My brother's wife's cousin is partly deaf, but she can still talk to people, but her talking is a little off (if you have been around someone who is deaf who is talking (or if you've watched "Mr. Holland's Opus"), you'll know what I mean).
My husband is deaf. Deafness means you can't hear at all, although you can still feel vibrations of low frequencies through the floor and such. There are lots of ways to become deaf, from puncturing your eardrums to having auditory nerves damaged. I'm sure some brain injuries would produce that result too, although the brain is pretty adaptable, so if someone became deaf that way, there would be a chance that they could start hearing again. If someone has aphasia, inability to understand speech, I'm pretty sure that would apply to both sound speech and sign language. I think it's a problem with symbolism, and both forms of speech use symbolism. On the other hand, some people with strokes who cannot speak can write, so I suppose it is a low-probability possibility that someone with verbal speech receptive aphasia would have no difficulties with visual speech. Some degree of aphasia is common with brain injuries such as strokes.

My husband had surgery for a cochlear implant, so he can hear through direct stimulation of the auditory nerve, but he's still considered deaf because without his processor he cannot hear at all. Before he went deaf, he was extremely hard of hearing (since birth), but he could hear quite well with ordinary hearing aids.

My impression is that Ashe is not deaf, but extremely hard of hearing, worse than my husband used to be. I share the impression that she can hear yelling although not understanding the meaning from the sound.
Murren wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm
Maybe Ashe's hearing is bad enough that she was never able to learn how to produce speech in a way that people will understand at all (due to not having a reference point by which she can know what her speech sounds like, and therefore she would sound extremely different than she thought she sounded, to the point where her words were not understandable at all), and that's why she doesn't talk? idk.
In the USA anyway, there are speech coaches who can teach deaf people to talk. I think part of it is feeling the throat of the speaker while learning, to learn to produce the correct vibration (or used to be, maybe they use computers to show the waveform now). Anyway, it's definitely possible for deaf people to learn to talk, just difficult. Ashe is so great at lip reading that I wonder why she doesn't learn to speak, but perhaps she is mute. Also, speech coaches cost money.
Just call me prissywings