[1485] - "no idea what is going to happen"

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1485] - "no idea what is going to happen"

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm
Not sure if Ninjagrrrl's "It's OK dear, everyone feels like that" consoling is going to work on MIho. Interesting that Miho loses it in front of a stranger......
Miho is in a singular situation as our kunoichi quite casually pulled a blade and was about to slaughter her with no more emotion than if she were peeling an apple

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am

Heywulf wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 pm
Awww... 'Ninja-girl' can't enjoy her refreshing ninja-drink. It looks like in panel 4 someone's gone high-speed to re-shuffle Miho's kimono-front.
Forgot to comment on this: The arrangement of the kimono could be important. The normal wear is left side on top of right. The opposite, right side over left is how the dead are dressed.

Schrödinger's Miho!

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:52 pm

paarfi wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm
Greymom wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm
Has Miho spoken Gaelic before?
Mo Dhia [1353]

As backup, a lot of the "Miho Origin Story" [1403] [1404] [1405] looks more consistent with mid-late 19th century Britian/Ireland than it does with Japan. Note the church steeple, clothes, big western-style bed, etc.

Welcome to teh forums :P
I had totally forgotten about that sequence! Thanks, it does shed a lot of light.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Okay, Miho was really in distress on discovering that the story path is altered. To the point that she reverts to speaking in Gaelic.
Note that I think that is the first time Fredrin has use swear words in comic, :ninja:

I think Ninjagirl's comment "Oh my gosh! You are just like the rest of us!", falls back to the 'desperate to live", part. That in order to continue to survive their path is a blank page. Meaning they have to make their own new path's story.

Also, the order on the way the kimono is done and tied has some significance.

~shadowrider
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 am

You know, I was just looking back at Miho's appearance at the beginning of MT. Look at how she was drawn: calm, unperturbed, in control... even her fainting spells only had a moment of surprise before the mask settled back down. The first chink we see in her emotional armour is during her interactions with Largo and Piro in the Cave of Evil. Ever since then, she's been a sliding down an emotional spiral to where she looks like Kimiko here: https://megatokyo.com/strip/887.

All Miho's self assurance has been stripped away and she is terrified that for the first time in a long while she has no clue as to what's going to happen next. Now she is going to have to change, and from experience change management is difficult at the best of times. It's going to be fun watching the rest of the ride.

S1arburst

Post by S1arburst » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 am

"Oh my gosh! You are just like the rest of us!" Haha, that's telling her. Suck it up, princess.
Initial B wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 am
The first chink we see in her emotional armour is during her interactions with Largo and Piro in the Cave of Evil. Ever since then, she's been a sliding down an emotional spiral to where she looks like Kimiko here: https://megatokyo.com/strip/887.
You know, that's a good observation. It makes me realize that a large number of characters in Megatokyo were initially in situations where they would claim they didn't want to stay, yet somehow comfortable in their misery. In every case, when a possibility of improvement dawns on them, it's been a more or less difficult adjustment.

Kimiko was used to being turned down for voice acting roles. She fought the idea that anyone would actually hire her, and then vigorously tried to self-sabotage at her new job for a while. Erika, once famous and then left and lied to by her boyfriend, was content to drift in obscurity and a mediocre job. She had difficulty accepting that a guy would be interested in the actual her, would respect her for herself, not wanting a relationship just to use her. Piro couldn't come to grips with the idea that someone like Kimiko could 'really' like someone like him. Yuki thought she was ugly and mediocre, nothing special.
Just call me prissywings

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am

I think also for Miho, she's been in this perpetual groundhog's day loop for over a century and a half. She was at the point where she could count the seconds to her next death and resurrection. Not only is she out of this loop, but she no longer has the protection that if anything happens to her, she'll just wake up back at the resurrection lab, and the idea of an actual end terrifies her. There is also the issue, although I don't know how it will be handled, that she is over two hundred years old. For all we know, abandoning that loop may kill her outright, as she transitions back from a physical idea to a flesh and blood person.

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I love the burn in that last panel, the more I see of Lady Ninja, the more I like her. And I know it doesn't show well in the printed form, but I am inclined to interpret that last statement as loaded with sarcasm.

iffy

Post by iffy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 pm

She has before casually switched to muttering things in English and used English phrases just as easily as doing either in Japanese, dropping into Gaelic now may be more of the same. In other circumstances, perhaps the same goes for French or Latin or Amheric or Bokmål or Osage. Or it could be evidence she is further diverging from and into the past, if you can believe any of what she told Kimiko, or maybe even in spite of it. That "The Kotone Story" was told in a certain way and time and place, could just have been coincidence combined with her odd style. Perhaps expected methods of operation from an immortal force of nature or toss-away story template. Who can't tell anyone the truth or does all the time but nobody believes it because she doesn't know how to or isn't allowed to actually explain it. What if she doesn't know any more of the details than anyone else to begin with? If it's all made up, how does that look different from it all being plotted, regardless if that's in Megatokyo or within its works.

So fear is being sensed here, she is real to all around her no matter what. Fear of the unknown, for somebody who's always known what her next temporary demise would be. Fear of losing whatever keeps her alive, or losing whatever keeps her whatever she is. Maybe like if The Horde was aware of who they were, they might fear not having a character and a role and something off to draw them into existence. Fear where fear is needed, all of that and more.

BakaJedi wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 pm
Based on what Junpei said about his mother and grandmother when he left Miho there, I’m increasiny inclined to believe that "ninja girl" is his mother.
Grandma would make fun or some such, and more likely wouldn't be the female most concerned with the visitor or with what happened to Junpei or curious. Or tasked with something larger and external. Grandma would be easier to believe than younger sister or acolyte to be doing this, but mother appears the most likely given everything so far. (edit: unless it's Meimi, or Yuki, or somebody else who's shown up instead)

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:31 pm
Not sure if Ninjagrrrl's "It's OK dear, everyone feels like that" consoling is going to work on MIho.
That all depends on quite a bit of a lot doesn't it.
Interesting that Miho loses it in front of a stranger......
Who else but the audience would be getting the performance?

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 pm
Miho is in a singular situation as our kunoichi quite casually pulled a blade and was about to slaughter her with no more emotion than if she were peeling an apple
Either she's emotionless ninja type or never planned on doing anything. At least nothing more than seeing the "honest, under stress" behavior, including if there were any moves either defensive or offensive.

Mitsuko73

Post by Mitsuko73 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Wow. I can imagine Miho's voice breaking on the "Okay??" You are a long, long way from that smug little loligoth who taunted Piro and Largo at the cake shop, my girl.

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am

I wonder if Teddy might start feeling a little compassion for Miho after this confessional. ;)

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 am

Hashbrown Potatoes wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 am
There is also the issue, although I don't know how it will be handled, that she is over two hundred years old. For all we know, abandoning that loop may kill her outright, as she transitions back from a physical idea to a flesh and blood person.
That will be interesting to see. I'd like to think that the story just brings her back, but isn't necessary to sustain her life on an ongoing basis. But the fainting spells [236], and the whole "loss of will" thing with m0h [1211] makes me think that might not be the case.
Mitsuko73 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:29 pm
Wow. I can imagine Miho's voice breaking on the "Okay??" You are a long, long way from that smug little loligoth who taunted Piro and Largo at the cake shop, my girl.
Yeah, but that's what happens when your world gets turned upside-down.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

S1arburst

Post by S1arburst » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:00 am

I think also for Miho, she's been in this perpetual groundhog's day loop for over a century and a half. She was at the point where she could count the seconds to her next death and resurrection. Not only is she out of this loop, but she no longer has the protection that if anything happens to her, she'll just wake up back at the resurrection lab, and the idea of an actual end terrifies her. There is also the issue, although I don't know how it will be handled, that she is over two hundred years old. For all we know, abandoning that loop may kill her outright, as she transitions back from a physical idea to a flesh and blood person.
My point is, that it doesn't matter as far as her response goes that her miserable situation was a magic-mediated one that made her 'supar special'. She's reacting to leaving it in exactly the same way as the characters in Megatokyo generally do to having their current miserable, safe life upended. Try to drive Largo away, behave in ways to try and get fired, sit around in self-loathing. Her type of response is nothing special. The other characters just didn't have the power to demolish a hospital wing when they were throwing their little tantrums.

The amazing thing is that these characters don't succeed in their initial attempts to drive everyone away and sabotage their lives. I mean, here Miho has a total stranger trying to help her work through her issues.

Also, welcome to the forums!
Just call me prissywings

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks, and I do agree. There is an ongoing theme of wanting to get back to the familiar even if it goes against goals and dreams. Miho's just seems to be the extreme case, since her goal was escaping from her resurrection cycle, thinking it would never happen. Now, it happened. Still, it will be interesting to see if the clock resumes as if that century and a half never happened, or if all those years catch up on her.

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 pm

garapagosu wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am
Heywulf wrote:
Awww... 'Ninja-girl' can't enjoy her refreshing ninja-drink. It looks like in panel 4 someone's gone high-speed to re-shuffle Miho's kimono-front.
Forgot to comment on this: The arrangement of the kimono could be important. The normal wear is left side on top of right. The opposite, right side over left is how the dead are dressed.

Schrödinger's Miho!
Fred was going to cover his error by pretending having Miho dressed like a dead person was intentional, until I pointed out he didn't draw the kimono the wrong way consistently, he drew it both ways.
For all we know, abandoning that loop may kill her outright, as she transitions back from a physical idea to a flesh and blood person.
I have a theory about that. Whether Fred agrees and will state it outright in the comic or leave it implied remains to be seen.
paarfi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 am
That will be interesting to see. I'd like to think that the story just brings her back, but isn't necessary to sustain her life on an ongoing basis. But the fainting spells [236], and the whole "loss of will" thing with m0h [1211] makes me think that might not be the case.
She always came back with the same heart problem that killed her in the first place. Naturally she would have sporadic issues leading up to failure. (Though we've seen she's capable of letting something else kill her first, too.)

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Ray Kremer wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 pm
She always came back with the same heart problem that killed her in the first place. Naturally she would have sporadic issues leading up to failure. (Though we've seen she's capable of letting something else kill her first, too.)
That does make me wonder if she may fear that she is still trapped in the loop? Her getting blown up by Dom shows her resurrection loop is not rigid and does not need a set story to happen. She could live a fulfilling and prosperous life, die at 100 years old, and wake up all over again as a teenager with a heart condition.

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 am

Ray Kremer wrote:
garapagosu wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am
Heywulf wrote:

Schrödinger's Miho!
Fred was going to cover his error by pretending having Miho dressed like a dead person was intentional, until I pointed out he didn't draw the kimono the wrong way consistently, he drew it both ways.
And here I was assuming that the placement of the kimono was actually symbolic of story elements. :D

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Ray Kremer wrote:
Or so she says. Does she? What does story comic tell us about that. I mean, she in MT keeps talking about dying, and we in forum keep talking about her doing so. When though has that happened? Heart problems or not. Obviously though, we have to have her die in the first place for it to be from heart problems.

As she relates to Kimiko under extreme duress, The Story of Kotone leaves her broken, emotionally crushed and ripe for picking by any game player wandering along. Yet still, quite alive, and a condition that fairly plainly persists as recently as the current point in time. Between that origin and now, there are a lot of possibilities (we know of) that could perhaps answer questions of when and how has she died. The adventures with Meimi, we don't know much in the way of details at all, so that's nothing. With Junko, from what we've been told, Miho just vanished. The collapse at school, she is rescued by Largo, but aside from a lack of death, neither of Ping or the nurse find anything wrong anyway. Yuki, nothing special. Piro, and Kimiko, yes, heart matters apparently - but they get her to the hospital where she gets a pacemaker; avoided. The TPCD et al are powerless against her. Junpei, he refuses to even fight back. This ninja here and now, tests her resolve and reaction and whatever else, but whatever else the test might have done at the end actually does nothing. So far, we seem to be batting 0 at Miho dying in a story in MT. If she had died, it would have been at the apartment, from heart problems.... Or from stress and a blow to the chest. But no dying, so it's from no cause.

We've got a lone exception potentially (death-wise) in Ed's story, and even that's not certain. Meimi senses something sad, Ed thinks she's dead, Piro and Kimiko and Yuki don't believe much is wrong (or know it, sooner or later), Kenji and Komugiko think of it in different ways but aligned that it is not (truly permanently) dead, at least in the prime material plane and in the usual sense of the word. So when we say it's not certain, we have seen Miho can jump out of the path of killballs in fractions of a second, and when Yuki finds her, Miho is very much not at all in the slightest dead. This all might establish that what Miho says about having to die is true, depending on what happened during the two weeks and on how death is defined. It also may be true like she also says, that death isn't either permanent or final. Yet it might not establish anything, since we don't know those details, just a big space lacking information.
But really, the emotions of such as The Horde being satiated by letting Ed think she's dead for two weeks? Seems hardly worth an Analogue's time. Further compounded by the ease at which she totally outclasses him every other time they spar. (Although even if Ed had killed her, it wasn't heart problems, it would have been murder by Weapons of Miho Destruction.)

This isn't saying Miho isn't telling the truth or that these things don't happen, but story comic seems unable to verify any of it. Or verifies she hasn't died from the cursed method of demise. While we do have a case of apparent heart failure and medical rescue of such, there's little or nothing more than that. So who can kill her and when and how, does she let them or not, and what is still the case? Or can she be killed at all by anyone ever, regardless of what she says about it or acts around it. Since seemingly nobody has yet to see her die, taking it for granted that she can (and does and has to do so) all seems rather a bit too proactive at this point in time. No matter how upset or not she gets about it.

It's difficult to tell if real people's words being used here in panel one establishes something approaching an existential crisis for the character or her enabler. Does it only mean Miho is indeed 'really serious' as befits a standard human with normal usual feelings? Or is it just something more like what the ninja and us are expecting to hear. Strong feelings one way or the other, still at this point we can only guess, based upon a mix of comic and not, mega and meta, perception and inference, what we read inside MT coupled with what we know out of it. However valid either is. Although that may make us wonder if they inside MT know of us, which is both impossible and certain to be, depending on how you look at it.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm
That does make me wonder if she may fear that she is still trapped in the loop? Her getting blown up by Dom shows her resurrection loop is not rigid and does not need a set story to happen. She could live a fulfilling and prosperous life, die at 100 years old, and wake up all over again as a teenager with a heart condition.
That was Ed, and there was indeed a story going on with him. Miho stops Ed from shooting Ping, he goes from ultraconfident to scared, then keeps trying to attack her even though he's well aware it's pointless. He runs the first time, she dances around him and makes him shock himself the next, she leaps out of the diner with passenger away from his weapons firing after that, then finally she purposely goes to the target area and stands there apparently waving at him. The next time we see her, Ed is taken out by others before Miho even knows he's around, and besides that story is over, she gapped to the ASF

Does he blow her up? Possibly, but not certainly. He fires at where she is... and then there's perception, assumption, conjecture, guessing, untill we next see her hanging around the Analogue Support Facility. The only people who we are shown that even know it even happened are Ed and Miho themselves. After the blast and over the next two weeks, Meimi reacts to something but it's all vague, Ping doesn't know where Miho is and is looking for her, Piro knows where she is already, Kimiko knows where she'll be, Yuki follows the directions from Miho to Piro and finds her, the staff at the CoE think and say all sorts of metaphysical things about where she is not in this realm.) But that she was blown up is not fully known as fact. And again, even if she's cursed to die, and was blown up and died, it wasn't due to her heart, and it wasn't permanent.

Maybe it's better to say we don't really know if she's died zero or infinity times between her creation and now.

Patty Acer

Post by Patty Acer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm

I love Ninja Girl. She's SO alpha. I wish she was my ninja mom/grandma/whatever. Now i see where Junpei gets his good sense.

As for the emerging Miho-is-Irish storyline, from a writing/writer's perspective, the readers will need some explanation as to why the Japanese MT characters haven't treated her as a gaijin up til now, and as to why Miho felt she could refer to herself as a 'frail Japanese schoolgirl' in one of the earlier comics. AKA the author can do what he wants but should show the readers why what he wants actually makes sense with what's been shown in the story so far. The story itself has to make consistent, internal-to-the-story sense from beginning to end. That's just good writing.

And to clarify, what I'm specifically wondering is how, in a famously xenophobic society where even the half-Japanese children of mixed Japanese-gaijin couples stick out like mad and often treated as gaijin themselves, an Irish woman was able to live for a century-and-a-half without being treated as an outsider? did she disguise herself? was there some kind of SEP-field thing going on where because she acted and talked like a Japanese teenager, people just accepted that she was one and didn't notice her looks? or was it some kind of MT-only magical girl magic? Inquiring minds want to know.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

check strip #350 https://megatokyo.com/strip/350 where in the second panel there's a comment, "My brother says she's one of those...."

For that matter we do not know that she doesn't routinely face racist slights but her status as a CA and the fact that somehow they have arranged for her to respawn in the ASF means that it's something that she can't avoid.

You see, that's the real question isn't it? How did the TPCD and the forces of Order manage to cause her to come back to a place that they control

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:49 pm

That might seem to be as simple as nobody knowing (until "everybody" knew) where her house was. The Otaku were putting it (and/or her) all together from the Junko/Ping/Miho pictures and videos, but were as potentially oblivious to the non-actually-Japanese vibe as Erika's fans, the TPCD, and The Horde. Oblivious or fully-unconcerned, if there's a difference. The CoE folks might indeed be very aware of these "SEP" things, but don't act as such - but that still leaves Piro, Ping, Kimiko, Junpei and a host of others who either don't at all know or do know and don't act it. We can't tell this.

Then again, what does a fictional representation of story essence look like? Not a fan of the incarnations but the source of them, means what when the fictional becomes real, is made incarnate, what have you.

An easy way to put it might be that she looks like whatever you think she does or want her to, regardless of what that actually is. This however opens far too much to be useful; her being a him, a nonhuman bipedal simulacrum, an invisible alien equivalent of a rabbit, a wisp of smoke, or a nondescript box.

It could be more like Ed walking down the street with a .50 cal, and ready to use it, and nobody noticing. I suppose, the ninja here is not talking about visible appearances, she's essentially getting a vibe like the one Ed read off his screen about what this thing really is.

S1arburst

Post by S1arburst » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 pm

Patty Acer wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm
[snip]

And to clarify, what I'm specifically wondering is how, in a famously xenophobic society where even the half-Japanese children of mixed Japanese-gaijin couples stick out like mad and often treated as gaijin themselves, an Irish woman was able to live for a century-and-a-half without being treated as an outsider? did she disguise herself? was there some kind of SEP-field thing going on where because she acted and talked like a Japanese teenager, people just accepted that she was one and didn't notice her looks? or was it some kind of MT-only magical girl magic? Inquiring minds want to know.
Ever since the weird story arc where Miho was talking about Kotone to Kimiko, and we were shown pictures of some sort of European girl while she was narrating, some people, or maybe just Invisigoth, have been maintaining or postulating that Miho is Irish.

That's really strange, but I figured it didn't matter too much. If Miho is an enduring story type, and she's died a bunch of times, and the story she's forced to live is not who she actually was, than it seems like she could resurrect as a Japanese person, or an African person, or a South American person. If the essence of the story and how it makes people feel is all that matters. So sure, she could originally be from Ireland and then turn into Japanese. Why not. That still makes it really weird that Ninjagirl is the first one to ever mention that she's not Japanese, or act like it. How did SHE know?
Just call me prissywings

Ray Kremer
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by Ray Kremer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 am

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm
I think the two constants are that she has a chronic and eventually fatal health condition, and that the love for the sickly girl character always causes her to respawn. She could die before her heart gives out via some other cause, but she couldn't avoid her heart giving out (except by, well, what just happened this chapter). Her "story" is about being on the edge of death until it finally takes her, but obviously none of the details are set in stone since she's been doing pretty much whatever she wants with her life other than, well, not dying.

(But even when you are cursed with immortality, you can still make use of it. Hence her total lack of fear when confronting Ed.)

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm

For somebody who spends all their time dying over and over, we might expect at least one clear example of it happening. Yet so far we've seen her die a total of zero times.

Yes, we have collapse and a trip to the nurse, a two week mystery between Miho waving at Ed and Yuki locating her, and collapse, CPR and operation. One of them might count as dying (then followed by reconstitution, cloning, resurrection, etc) to end a story in Megatokyo. But it isn't much a clear example of dying as she seems to be talking about it, given that we don't know if the missing details is an example of invulnerability, mystical nature, "dying", parallel universes, alternative dimensions, time-travel, magic, magic tricks, delusion, illusion, mass hypnosis or something else.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm

iffy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 pm
For somebody who spends all their time dying over and over, we might expect at least one clear example of it happening. Yet so far we've seen her die a total of zero times.

Yes, we have collapse and a trip to the nurse, a two week mystery between Miho waving at Ed and Yuki locating her, and collapse, CPR and operation. One of them might count as dying (then followed by reconstitution, cloning, resurrection, etc) to end a story in Megatokyo. But it isn't much a clear example of dying as she seems to be talking about it, given that we don't know if the missing details is an example of invulnerability, mystical nature, "dying", parallel universes, alternative dimensions, time-travel, magic, magic tricks, delusion, illusion, mass hypnosis or something else.
Miho confirms that she tossed a life when Ed killballed her.