[1550] Raging noises

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

cidjen

Re: [1550] Raging noises

Post by cidjen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:20 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:22 am

Poor Masamichi. Ping will always be able to operate under the radar of the TPCD…

=D
I suppose, Ed's Sony Registered Product Detector is rather proprietary piece of software, not sold to outside parties, who cares about LEA's...

(urm... btw... was it an idea of 'augumented reality' before it became a real thing...? that was 2004.... although ARToolKit was created ~2000... i don't remember hearing a lot about this - only really seeing it as computer-generated ski-jump goal line in these times)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Well, the Registered Products Detector is, really, not quite a Registered Products Detector. It is a very high level face recognition / biometrics device, which is hooked online into the Sony Registered Products Database as something of a side function. Its main function, I would guess, is that of an SEVS EDS Proximity Scanner (perhaps also by face recognition, among other techniques), to my limited understanding… considering it’s in Ed’s far too eager to be effective hands. He doesn’t care noodles about people’s registered products.
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:54 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:03 pm
Lingman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm
I have a REALLY bad feeling about what actually happened in panel 3. Was he recording the discussion he had with Ashe? Or just taking a picture of her on the way across the street?
I suspect that either he's got his next few data points for the Foxgirl edition of the EDS...
It's a good point. DrGero has grim look on his face in panel 3. I wonder if Ashe is going to get a visit from our favorite Sony Enforcement Division operative.
...or it could be that he's just taking a picture of the bill for his expense account. :roll:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Is it actually a grim look? Not to me, taking panels 1 and 2 into account.
To me it looks more like a serious "Did I get my phone in time to capture what I wanted to?" kind of look.

I’ve seen people with that look, and I have that look on my face myself whenever I am trying to snapshoot something but I thought of it really just a bit too late.

I could imagine myself wanting to take a picture of a pretty foxgirl stomping away from me with twitching ears and a swishing tail.
Haven’t had that pleasure yet, though. But then again, I don’t work for something like Sony.

=)

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 am

Rapierman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:54 pm
...or it could be that he's just taking a picture of the bill for his expense account. :roll:
HOW DARE YOU TRY TO INTERJECT COMMON SENSE, RAPE!

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 am
Rapierman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:54 pm
HOW DARE YOU TRY TO INTERJECT COMMON SENSE, RAPE!
In R-man's defense he does work for the IRS so his comment is entirely logical

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 pm

"Even logic must give way to physics."

The phone's camera angle is parallel to the ground, where Ashe is walking, and not angled down toward the table, where the bill (presumably still) is.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:38 pm

To me it looks like he is taking a picture of the area. He will send it to Sony Enforcement Division to have them retrieve his property: Ping and Junko.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am

jkhartl wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:38 pm
To me it looks like he is taking a picture of the area. He will send it to Sony Enforcement Division to have them retrieve his property: Ping and Junko.
Maybe... but it seems to me (I may have said this already in a thread or two since 1546) that if he had any interest in retrieval, he would have behaved quite differently when Ping bolted into the Foxhole. He seemed perfectly happy to sit down and have a nice calm cup of coffee even though she was completely out of his sight for an extended period of time. For all he knows the Foxhole has a back door and Ping could have been long gone by the time SED showed up.

If he cared at all about retrieval or neutralization I believe he would have taken more active steps to keep track of her exact location.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
If he cared at all about retrieval or neutralization I believe he would have taken more active steps to keep track of her exact location.
Well maybe he can. As far as we know Ping has a GPS tracker that he has been using to monitor her movements.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:43 am

darrin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am
Maybe... but it seems to me (I may have said this already in a thread or two since 1546) that if he had any interest in retrieval, he would have behaved quite differently when Ping bolted into the Foxhole. He seemed perfectly happy to sit down and have a nice calm cup of coffee even though she was completely out of his sight for an extended period of time.
His initial reaction was curiosity. He was happy to tag along with Ping because he was interested in how his creation was behaving. When she told him to have a seat and get a cup of coffee, he was curious about that too and no doubt expected her back soon. I think being confronted by Ashe likely changed things. I'm not sure what he's thinking now, but he's not just indulging idle curiosity about his EDS prototype anymore.
GouryG wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am
Well maybe he can. As far as we know Ping has a GPS tracker that he has been using to monitor her movements.
If Ping had a GPS tracker, I think Sony would have had an easier time finding her. Ed needed her to plug into the internet to find her the first time [252].
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

Ping having a GPS tracking device would be a 'yuge' problem for corporate Sony, but users can plug their own and it will be recognised (Largo did).

Side note Ping did take footage of Miho... Back when she did not have one. Or maybe she had one in the phone Miho bought her? Because the footage as Yutaka found 'was all geotagged'. Unless Ping did that retroactively?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

GouryG wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am
As far as we know Ping has a GPS tracker that he has been using to monitor her movements.
In 1522 Ping's arrival is "a most unexpected surprise" to him, which it wouldn't have been if he'd been tracking her. And to expand on paarfi's point regarding Ed trying to find her, he too is surprised to see her in 252; he wasn't tracking her, but stumbled across her randomly while following Dom (to go see Largo). He says Sony personnel were "pretty upset" about her escape, so if he had the ability to track her, he would have been using it.
paarfi wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:43 am
When she told him to have a seat and get a cup of coffee, he was curious about that too and no doubt expected her back soon.
If there were any possibility in his mind of needing to call in SED as jkhartl suggests above, he wouldn't have left that to expectation, he would have had to make sure somehow. (It's a foxhole, of course there's more than one way in and out. :D And in fact we know this to be true since Megumi brought the kids in through the garage entrance.)
I think being confronted by Ashe likely changed things. I'm not sure what he's thinking now, but he's not just indulging idle curiosity about his EDS prototype anymore.
That's certainly possible, but I still don't think it's enough to allow one to infer the need to photograph the area and send the photo to Ed for retrieving Ping. Even ignoring the above issues I raise regarding the likelihood of him calling SED in the first place, a text message with the address would be a much more reliable way of getting that info to SED than a picture of the street.

As of panel 3, Ashe was still walking away from him (she doesn't get to the Foxhole entrance till panel 4. I claim the least hypothesis (lacking any other in-comic indications I would expect Fred to give if this were important) is that he is photographing Ashe.

(This next is speculation, I'm not claiming any evidence for it yet, but I am betting it is Ashe that's piqued his interest... others either this or the previous thread mentioned him "probably not having any kitsune data yet" I believe. I don't see anything in their conversation, let alone how it ended, to convince me he's rethought his position on the "one among many" prototype currently in the Foxhole.)

EDIT due to :ninja::
cidjen wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm
Because the footage as Yutaka found 'was all geotagged'. Unless Ping did that retroactively?
Ping having the ability to know her own location doesn't imply the location is broadcast external to Ping. (The former would be useful for accompanying or meeting up with the user for a "date"; the latter could conceivably expose Sony to privacy issue risks.)

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm
Ping having the ability to know her own location doesn't imply the location is broadcast external to Ping. (The former would be useful for accompanying or meeting up with the user for a "date"; the latter could conceivably expose Sony to privacy issue risks.)
Yeah, what I said :)

She could as well geotag everything by looking and triangulation of the landmarks for what it's worth :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:53 am

I wonder.

Would there be any times when Fred is reading the Forum and suddenly thinks: "Oops, I missed that *something* in-story… Now, how am I going to work that into MT, post-publication…?"

=)