Please help unpack this : [1139] FMP: hitting

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

cidjen

Please help unpack this : [1139] FMP: hitting

Post by cidjen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Hey,
sorry to bother you with this again...
what does that mean and what does it take references from ?

https://megatokyo.com/transcript/1139

especially :
Panel 4:

m0h:
<Unlike this one, his thrillz don't actually require hitting you.>

I have some difficulty figuring this one out...
so it's m0h fingering backwards at the explosion, so by 'this one' he means Largo...
and he talks about himself? unlike Largo, his /m0h's/ thrills, don't require him /m0h/ to hit /Piroko/ right? That it is literally.
And then the whole double-meaning of 'hitting' of course? Is it what I'm thinking here?
I wish I could understand the meta here better... and maybe where does it come from, some references...
Thanks in advance!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Re: Please help unpack this : [1139] FMP: hitting

Post by darrin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Not really sure, but my best guess is that since he's talking to Miho (in response to her "But...", presumably beginning an objection of some kind), he is telling her to "relax" at being left behind with Piro, since unlike (as you say) Largo, Piro's "thrills" don't require "actually hitting" the one he is "aiming" at. (Presumably metaphorically in Piro's case, as opposed to literally in Largo's... but that would be a guess again, I'm very far from sure I actually get any of this.)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 am

cidjen wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 pm
Hey,
sorry to bother you with this again...
what does that mean and what does it take references from ?

https://megatokyo.com/transcript/1139

especially :
Panel 4:

m0h:
<Unlike this one, his thrillz don't actually require hitting you.>

I have some difficulty figuring this one out...
so it's m0h fingering backwards at the explosion, so by 'this one' he means Largo...
and he talks about himself? unlike Largo, his /m0h's/ thrills, don't require him /m0h/ to hit /Piroko/ right? That it is literally.
And then the whole double-meaning of 'hitting' of course? Is it what I'm thinking here?
I wish I could understand the meta here better... and maybe where does it come from, some references...
Thanks in advance!
"unlike this one" refers to Piroko, who was about to plug Miho between the eyes before m0H snatched her up and disarmed her.
m0h was basically saying that Piroko was unhappy because he stopped her from killing Miho, but that Largo would be happy either way as long as he got to blow things up.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am

thanks all for your input...
So now I think I have 4 versions available (actually 3)

A) M0h talks with his mouth shut? So initially I thought it's Piroko shouting that phrase. Also the balloon seems to not be pointing at M0h's mouth.
Then it would make sense, why the phrase is being said about 2 male subjects ('this one' and 'his thrillz').

Then it would mean, that Piroko tells, that unlike this one (M0h), his (Largo's) thrillz don't actually require hitting you...? So Largo is just happy spraying bullets, but M0h shoots/hits to cause damage and takes thrillz from that... huh.

(but, the transcript cleared this away, so this is not it.)

B) Really have been thinking, if M0h is saying this to Piroko, and pointing backwards with his thumb at the explosion, he means 'this one' to be himself (M0h) as is the 'practice' in some cases of chinese battle manhua I've been reading (trash! I tell you! trash!) and by 'his thrillz' he means Largo's.

Then it would mean, that unlike M0h himself, Largo's thrillz don't actually require hitting (you=the target), meaning Largo is just happy to just spray bullets everywhere? Plausible :) ? That means M0h has to hit his target to get happy... ook that got dark now.

C) if (spiritual thanks to madrul :) ) 'unlike this one' refers to Piroko, and 'this one' to Largo, it's still that Largo would just happily spray lead, but Piroko's thrillz come from the real damage she deals.

So Miho is being told by M0h, that unlike 'this one' = Piroko, 'his'=Largo's thrillz don't require achieving any hits.

D) spiritual thanks to darrin: if 'unlike this one' refers to Piro and 'his thrillz' refer to Largo, then here we come to the duality of the 'hitting' ... like 'hitting on' someone ? did it not mean trying to seduce, flirting with someone? Piro 's 'thrillz' require 'hitting on' (her=Miho, or just 'a girl' since captain Kimi is also there and very, erm, protective of Piro's eyes...), and Largo is there just to shoot everything, like a madman.

So basically M0h would say to Miho, that Largo is here to play FPS and Piro is here to play a dating sim with her :)

/me tries to come up with some plausible compound of c and d but fails (like 'this one' = 'Piroko' and 'his thrillz'= 'Piro's thrillz')
or even involve b as in 'this one' = M0h and 'his thrillz' = Piro's thrillz. but this struggles to compute...)

Note this is not a vote, please tell me just, which do you think makes more sense to you :) and why...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

richvh

Post by richvh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am

I'm wondering if a true understanding might require familiarity with Full Metal Panic and Clannad, which, alas, I lack.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

cidjen wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 am
D) spiritual thanks to darrin: if 'unlike this one' refers to Piro and 'his thrillz' refer to Largo
I think maldrul's version makes a lot more sense than mine, so I spiritually withdraw my suggestion for D. :D

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm

richvh wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 am
I'm wondering if a true understanding might require familiarity with Full Metal Panic and Clannad, which, alas, I lack.
Full Metal Panic is new to me, I did read Clannad and I liked it... Ok thanks :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

You really need to be familiar with Full Metal Panic to get this one.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I started reading FMP >.< I already see I prefer GATE:WJF lol.
EDIT: oh, i spoke too soon. it started to look interesting...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:13 am

Sooo finished reading first installment of FMP (and now I even know where the idea to use <brackets> for japanese came from :) nice one btw. ) still having problem unpacking who's being talked here about.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Yeah, well I'm a native English speaker and I didn't follow that storyline, either. Don't sweat it!
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Well, cidjen is kindly translating MT into polish, and this comic is where he's at right now. So he wants to understand so he can translate it right, I imagine.
https://www.megatokyo.it/?lang=pl
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:04 am

There's Russian verb "popast" which literally means to succeed in shooting (a bullet etc) at a target, and is also used more metaphorically (to get what you were "aiming" at). As usual though I have no idea if there's a Polish cognate that would help, sorry.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 pm

There is some translation of the phrase I might have in my head that could keep it same-level ambiguous :) the result will be similar, including the ambiguity of 'hitting' (if this is of any indication, the usage is similar as in english 'hitting on [someone]' = 'uderzać do [kogoś]' / 'hitting someone' = 'uderzać kogoś' ). Or maybe completely different, depending on who's talking, and about who.
(btw: did FMP:Another continue past chapter 7 ?)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish