[1546] Gauging intent

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1546] Gauging intent

Post by paarfi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Fred has posted the comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: [1546] Gauging intent

Post by paarfi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Iiiiiiiinteresting. So that's who creepy guy is. Should we call him Dr Gero?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:30 pm

A few people called it. I'm not sure that creepy is the proper word for that guy though....

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 pm

He's been seeing Junko to use her as part of Ping's design? No wonder he seemed different from her other clients to her. Obviously she doesn't know: he didn't even know that she and Ping knew each other and she had never heard of an EDS before the lamp post incident. This will really mess with her head and her heart when she finds out.

Junko's dad already sucks as a father, but he also sucks as a Nintendo operative. He knows what an EDS is but doesn't know that Sony is using his daughter to develop it. I say this because He defended Junko from the Sony guy who chunked his predecessor, so we know that he won't stand for Sony messing with Junko...which means he can only recognize clear and obvious threats but not an enemy op that uses more subtle tradecraft, otherwise this old Sony engineer would have gotten a noggin full of Tetris by now.

Engineer's main problem, then, is Ashe and the rest of the family. I can't wait to see how she interprets all of this.

Olba

Post by Olba » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Ah, Ashe is still confused about Ping's true nature. Love the little ear twitch, 10/10 would annoy Ashe to see that happen more.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Calling him creepy would be like, calling your girlfriend's dad creepy...

I mean, technically, that is what he is. Pings' Dad.

And he has no idea that his daughter is just being EDUCATED. In the topic that was supposed to be sealed within and not part of any game...

Wait.

So Ping did not have the data because she is still a prototype.
Means, she's not finished. The creator must have put a dummy condition to prevent her going there, disguised as a dlc request...

*That* part of her is pretty much an end game then? The designer did not think beyond that part? How to sustain the relationship beyond the 'big level up'??? Must read some more shoujo manga then, lol...

Hmhhhh or he and his teammates did not have experiences beyond that and that's why he's a creep....?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Called it back in 1522 but it wasn't the biggest stretch with the way he talked

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=256&p=3773#p3773

I do think Junko is going to feel "used" if he she learns about that last line and maybe think Ping is an idealized version of her. Curious how she'll come back into the picture for maybe the final conflict of the chapter, or left for next

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:48 am

Random thoughts -

-He talks like he's lead designer on Ping's project, which is interesting. Clearly he's ok with Piro's stewardship of Ping - ownership simply isn't the right word, not at this point. We can probably assume a tracking device, either hardware or software. I'll bet Kimiko could get some of her fan brigade to help with that.

-There's real opportunity here for Ping to learn more about herself, what was intended for her, and how she can deal with where those intentions differ from how she wants to live. Of course, this assumes he can see her as enough of an equal that she can have a real conversation. If not, I suspect Ashe would be willing to supply beatings to improve his attitude.

-Why Junko as one of the models for Ping? Did Sony find out about her through surveillance of her father, as a Nintendo op? Or is she regarded as some kind of paragon of what she does? And is her use in modeling Ping why the two of them became friends so quickly? Junko certainly isn't one to trust easily, so that would make sense.

-Does this mean Junko can sue for lost wages as a professional consultant from Sony? That would make a nice alternative career. I would suggest royalties, but I don't think the EDS project is going to reach production - I don't think this lead designer is going to last a full hour with the Sawatari ladies. Dude, when a stalking predator twitches an ear like that, reasonable people get out of arm's reach.

Skorpion

Post by Skorpion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 am

Oh, so he's NOT just a creep. He was using Junko to gather data for Ping's reactions?
Roamer wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:48 am
Random thoughts -
-Does this mean Junko can sue for lost wages as a professional consultant from Sony?
She's been paid for her time already, though.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 am

Skorpion wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 am
Oh, so he's NOT just a creep. He was using Junko to gather data for Ping's reactions?
Roamer wrote:
Random thoughts -
-Does this mean Junko can sue for lost wages as a professional consultant from Sony?
Hired under false pretenses, lied to about the nature of what the client was actually looking for, and if she was chosen from among all the other practicitioners as the best, grossly underpaid. Also, pretty sure Sony won't want to go to court about hiring somebody her age at all, much less for what she does. Talk about bad PR....

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 am

I would've liked to have known the text on Ashe's phone.... :' ) Is it just me, or does the old man give off a "Piro, only older" vibe? I could see Piro doing the exact same thing in an alternate universe.

cryum

Post by cryum » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:42 am

So does that make Junko Ping's sister or mommy?

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 am

That makes Junko an older, slightly more mature and lots more cynical sister...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 am

Roamer wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 am
Skorpion wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 am
Roamer wrote:
Random thoughts -
Hired under false pretenses, lied to about the nature of what the client was actually looking for, and if she was chosen from among all the other practicitioners as the best, grossly underpaid. Also, pretty sure Sony won't want to go to court about hiring somebody her age at all, much less for what she does. Talk about bad PR....
More like a double blind trial. She's not the only one used like this. She's one of many girls.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 am

He finds Ashe to be a very interesting young lady as well, wonder if that's going to go into his data set?

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:13 am
I would've liked to have known the text on Ashe's phone.... :' ) Is it just me, or does the old man give off a "Piro, only older" vibe? I could see Piro doing the exact same thing in an alternate universe.
I need one of those detective-show ultra-magnification programs and a decent Japanese translation program to read what's on the 'phone...

peyole

Post by peyole » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Patreon members have access to high resolution copies of each comic, and I think I remember in one of the Twitch streams him saying that they would be able to read it. Are there any of your that don't mind pulling them up and satisfying our burning curiosity?

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:51 pm

I think the engineer made it pretty clear to Ashe that Ping is not a real human. Quite unambiguously in fact. At this point, what does Ashe do with that knowledge? If she shares that information with the rest of the ladies, how will they react to that knowledge that Ping is a synthetic?

eomdal

Post by eomdal » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm

peyole wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Patreon members have access to high resolution copies of each comic, and I think I remember in one of the Twitch streams him saying that they would be able to read it. Are there any of your that don't mind pulling them up and satisfying our burning curiosity?
Sorry, Max zoom of the Highres download reveals nothing.

eomdal

Post by eomdal » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Roamer wrote:
Random thoughts -

-He talks like he's lead designer on Ping's project, which is interesting. Clearly he's ok with Piro's stewardship of Ping - ownership simply isn't the right word, not at this point. We can probably assume a tracking device, either hardware or software. I'll bet Kimiko could get some of her fan brigade to help with that.
Engineer was surprised to find her. If Ping was still being tracked by him, he wouldn't have been.

Of course, this does not mean that Ping is not being tracked at all: Ed seems to be able to find her without difficulty, (it's carrying out his job of eliminating her without getting ganked by someone, that's the hard part.) so Sony's intellectual property enforcement division apparently does not communicate with the R&D division.
Why Junko as one of the models for Ping? Did Sony find out about her through surveillance of her father, as a Nintendo op? Or is she regarded as some kind of paragon of what she does? And is her use in modeling Ping why the two of them became friends so quickly? Junko certainly isn't one to trust easily, so that would make sense.
Junko was probably flagged by data mining, made a little easier by the fact that her laptop is a Sony.

Yeah, in Engineer's eyes, Junko may be a little different from most girls who do the Enjo-kōsai thing who are just out for some spending cash. Perhaps Junko brings a certain emotional depth to her business because of her domestic situation and, being a model student, is more intelligent and confident than most. If Sony's marketing division had any say, then Junko must fit a profile of an anime/game archetype, though I'm still trying to figure out which.

Oh, and on the subject of modeling from Enjo-kōsai girls, it has been pointed out that there is the fact that Fred has introduced us to Ping's sisters Pong and Poke, at least one of which is a Hentai version. I agree that Engineer may think that the EDS he just spoke to is one of them.
Consultants are paid because they observe, apply their expertise, and provide the relevant results in a useful manner so that the client does not have to. Junko's is not observing nor is she analyzing: she is being observed by someone who has to do the analyzing.

Now, if she can show that she has insight that would be of value, then she could be hired and paid for her observations thereafter. But not for having been observed so far, so no back pay.
I don't think the EDS project is going to reach production - I don't think this lead designer is going to last a full hour with the Sawatari ladies. Dude, when a stalking predator twitches an ear like that, reasonable people get out of arm's reach.
If the EDS has any value, Sony will push ahead regardless of what happens to anyone. If the lead engineer dies when the product is usable but not perfect, then they'll just do what every tech company does: ship now, patch later, and the joyless proles who keep giving them money for it can just suck it.

And, yeah, Engineer doesn't have a clue of the hornet's nest he's poking at.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Given what's been hinted by Fred about Megumi with her phantom ears and tails, tails being erased for the final comic, our Engineer will be fortunate if Ashe deals with him herself without bringing in more family

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Iceman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:21 pm
Called it back in 1522 but it wasn't the biggest stretch with the way he talked

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=256&p=3773#p3773

I do think Junko is going to feel "used" if he she learns about that last line and maybe think Ping is an idealized version of her. Curious how she'll come back into the picture for maybe the final conflict of the chapter, or left for next
Also called it back in 1522.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=256#p3742

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 pm

eomdal wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm
peyole wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Sorry, Max zoom of the Highres download reveals nothing.
It says "<So if this other girl shows up, you can buy sex from her and leave this girl alone?>".

You have to click the download link on the png to really see teh high res versions on patreon.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 pm

I'm strangely reminded of the Wonder Project J games where you try to teach a robot how to behave correctly as a human.

senjyu_kannon

Post by senjyu_kannon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Can't help but note he said "one of" the EDS prototypes. Which makes me wonder:

How many more are there?

Have we witnessed an encounter with any of the others?