[1545] Love

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1545] Love

Post by paarfi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Fred has posted the comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1545] Love

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Between the genuinely amazing dialogue between Ping and hooker-granny, Megu winding back down from going feral killer.....there's Ashe...OMG Ashe <3<3<3

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm

There are ninja littering the street.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:48 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm
There are ninja littering the street.
Normally TPCD would be cleaning that up, but I'm sure this was not a scheduled event ;>

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 pm

So, to have value, you must be loved or be a commodity? Fred did say in chat that certain dark aspects of human nature were going to be part of the story. (Mostly since November 2016) I wonder if we are seeing this now?

Or, I'm wrong and Ashe is probing the guy's intentions. Answer wisely, mister.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Ping first says that someone needs to play with her so that she can love them. That's not exactly the same thing as wanting to be loved. Ping wants to love and there's specific things that need to occur first for that to happen for her and apparently being loved isn't one of those things

Olba

Post by Olba » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm
Between the genuinely amazing dialogue between Ping and hooker-granny, Megu winding back down from going feral killer.....there's Ashe...OMG Ashe <3<3<3
The question here is: How much tail brushing does 22,500 yen get you?

senjyu_kannon

Post by senjyu_kannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 am

Does Megumi have fox ears in that first panel??

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58 am

I can see Maldrul checking his wallet.... :lol: I see Granny's words are hitting home to Megumi, too. (I see fox ears, and it's either a tail or Ping's hair in the lower right corner)

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 am

The fox ears have persisted past the point of simple trolling by Fred IMHO. Even though they are gone in the last panel there's something going on here

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am

senjyu_kannon wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 am
Looks that way. Same as the last panel of the previous comic.

I'm struggling to find the right words to say about this comic. Ping wants someone to love her, but then so do we all. Ping would fall for someone who "plays" with her and "makes the right choices", but again so might we all. Ping's issues here aren't fundamentally different than what we all face, and Grandma sees that. We all want to love and be loved.

But Ping's major flaw has always been her lack of self-esteem, and that lack is totally undeserved. As madbadger put it years ago: Ping is kind, helpful, brave, smart, compassionate, strong, honest, perceptive, and caring. She is by far the nicest, most innocent character in Megatokyo.. She deserves more than just someone who will push the right buttons and accept her love. She deserves to be loved back as the wonderful person she is.

Ping needs to see that herself. I think that's the point of Grandma's question, "What are you worth if no one loves you?". Ping is worthy as the wonderful person she is. Roger Ebert's review of Groundhog Day talks about Phil becoming a better person: There is a moment when Phil tells Rita, "When you stand in the snow, you look like an angel." The point is not that he has come to love Rita. It is that he has learned to see the angel. Someday Ping is going to find someone better who will see her for the angel she truly is, and she needs to find that person rather than settle for any old dumbass who's merely willing to play with her.

Skorpion

Post by Skorpion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Olba wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:31 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm
The question here is: How much tail brushing does 22,500 yen get you?
I'd want at least an hour for that much. And to touch those fluffy ears as well.

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 pm

This has all been really harsh on Megumi.

"What are you worth if no one loves you?" Megumi has been looking for a relationship, for love, and as far as we know has been unable to find any (the comic of Megumi being stood up, the way Megumi reacted to Junpei and Mugi).

That's a pretty big question in out world today. What are we worth? Do we need to be loved to have worth? Do we need to have a bank account to have worth?

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 pm

I've started wondering about Mugi and how she got estranged from her family. She's been described as a difficult child. My assumption was that the friction between Mugi and her family was because of her early sexual activity. But now we find that the family has a business line in prostitution. Maybe the problem wasn't that Mugi was having sex at an early age, but that she was having sex and not getting paid for it.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:08 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am
senjyu_kannon wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 am
Looks that way. Same as the last panel of the previous comic.

I'm struggling to find the right words to say about this comic. Ping wants someone to love her, but then so do we all. Ping would fall for someone who "plays" with her and "makes the right choices", but again so might we all. Ping's issues here aren't fundamentally different than what we all face, and Grandma sees that. We all want to love and be loved.

But Ping's major flaw has always been her lack of self-esteem, and that lack is totally undeserved. As madbadger put it years ago: Ping is kind, helpful, brave, smart, compassionate, strong, honest, perceptive, and caring. She is by far the nicest, most innocent character in Megatokyo.. She deserves more than just someone who will push the right buttons and accept her love. She deserves to be loved back as the wonderful person she is.

Ping needs to see that herself. I think that's the point of Grandma's question, "What are you worth if no one loves you?". Ping is worthy as the wonderful person she is. Roger Ebert's review of Groundhog Day talks about Phil becoming a better person: There is a moment when Phil tells Rita, "When you stand in the snow, you look like an angel." The point is not that he has come to love Rita. It is that he has learned to see the angel. Someday Ping is going to find someone better who will see her for the angel she truly is, and she needs to find that person rather than settle for any old dumbass who's merely willing to play with her.
No. She needs to see herself as the angel. Ping is wonderful - but it doesn't matter how wonderful you are, without self-esteem, you'll never be able to seek out people who are worthy of you. I don't know if we've met anyone in MT worth her love who's available, but I'd love to see her find it. Sayuri, maybe?

Edit: Also, Megumi looks awesome with the fox ears in P1. I think the bow is some kind of charm or talisman to hide them, normally.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Too many are still missing Ping's point and that being that unlike a meat girl who wants to be loved Ping wants to be played with so that she can love. That makes things very complicated and just performing for pay isn't going to fulfill her needs

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Ping would have been programed with low self esteem this would make it easier for her user, probably some one else with low self esteem, to interact with her.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 pm
Too many are still missing Ping's point and that being that unlike a meat girl who wants to be loved Ping wants to be played with so that she can love. That makes things very complicated and just performing for pay isn't going to fulfill her needs
I don't know that I agree with the conclusion you're drawing here. Ping's statement is that she's programmed to love "anyone who plays with her and makes the right choices" - that means that this is one path to love for her, but she's not saying that her programming has locked out any other paths. We've already seen her show initiative and choice where there was no code written for a situation, so I don't think it's impossible for her to modify her routines to allow her to reach love without someone playing her.

Also, there's the question of what qualifies as 'playing' with her. Do Piro's actions when he's acting as her owner count? She urges him to play with her at at least one point, so that seems to be a no. Does it have to be romantic? Who defines romance?

I think there's room for her to manuver here, if she wants it. Clearly she wants to love - but she's protective of herself, as well. Good.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Roamer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 pm
I don't know that I agree with the conclusion you're drawing here. Ping's statement is that she's programmed to love "anyone who plays with her and makes the right choices" - that means that this is one path to love for her, but she's not saying that her programming has locked out any other paths. We've already seen her show initiative and choice where there was no code written for a situation, so I don't think it's impossible for her to modify her routines to allow her to reach love without someone playing her.

Also, there's the question of what qualifies as 'playing' with her. Do Piro's actions when he's acting as her owner count? She urges him to play with her at at least one point, so that seems to be a no. Does it have to be romantic? Who defines romance?

I think there's room for her to manuver here, if she wants it. Clearly she wants to love - but she's protective of herself, as well. Good.
Good points

I think that also indicates that her self esteem is a lot higher than she's being given credit for as well

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Roamer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:08 pm
No. She needs to see herself as the angel. Ping is wonderful - but it doesn't matter how wonderful you are, without self-esteem, you'll never be able to seek out people who are worthy of you.
That's a big part of what I was trying to say. Obviously, I made a hash of it :P

chemi

Post by chemi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:41 pm

MegaTokyo characters aren't supposed to have self-esteem! No wonder Ed was pursuing her so doggedly. Ping is clearly malfunctioning!

Hecatombe

Post by Hecatombe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm

So the guy don't mind all those fallen ninjas.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Hecatombe wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
So the guy don't mind all those fallen ninjas.
I guess in MT, fallen ninjas, zombies, and zillas are just part of the landscape.....

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:11 pm

More deep philosophical questions from Ping.

Rather unfortunate timing that Ashe holds up the display right when Ping says that. I would think she was worth more than 22.5K yen, if not PRICELESS.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 pm

I wonder if Admiral Akbar speaks Japanese...
<It's a trap!>
:lol:

Is this a third party negotiator, or a surrogate for the substitution Junko...
<SUBSTITUTION-NO-JUNKO!>
:D

Sooooo... that is what, about $230?