[1542] a promise

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1542] a promise

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 am

Fred has posted the comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

BetaCygnus

Re: [1542] a promise

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:32 am

:P
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 am

It's a lovely comic. I like the last panel particularly. I also like the sketch Gameru in the train window.

So Miho is going to try to live. Piro has given her a reason to want to. Moeko has yelled at her to. Yaku has made her promise. The pacemaker made it possible, but she had to commit to it, and I think she has now.

That's a scary thing, and I think we can see that in her eyes. It's not just the unknown, which is scary enough. It's that this could be the end of her in a much more permanent way than her deaths to this point have been. The fans' love of her Story is what keeps her here; it's her fans' will that brings her back [1228]; without that she may not be here for anyone anymore [1327]. Miho has had brushes with this in the past [1211] [236].

Piro's plan to show fans that this is a better story or find her new fans sounds great to me. But I'd expect it sounds more far-fetched to Miho. Where do you even start with something like that? I expect she'll be taking Yaku back to Mugi now. Maybe it starts there.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am

(Having not read the comic yet) So now Miho will be 'Just existin' ', which is ' where a lotta livin' happens'. Good luck, and stay away from stuffed (were)bears...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Yaku has now experienced her Story for herself.

She doesn't want to let go of Miho now.

She doesn't want to lose her

She wants Miho to live....

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Yaku has now experienced her Story for herself.
She wants Miho to live....
So Yaku is the first fan of Miho's new story? I'm ok with that.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:05 pm

+1. New fans of this new story could appear real quick, given how hungry Kimiko seems to be of real feelings. And foxes also could proliferate, and bunnies and cats are even funnier in that department... But poor Ping, she needs computers to do that...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm

I get the very strong impression that this is the first time in a long long time that Miho has been able to just hug someone without strings or baggage attached. Three quarks for Miss Yaku as the saying goes.

I am guessing from the absence of any "Where are we? How did we get here?" shrieks from Yakugashi that their transition to the train was mundane rather than more Miho-jumping. But that would imply that either the forest isn't so big as to lack a convenient train station within hobbling distance, or else they had to cover a lot of ground (Yaku dragging her? Or did Miho regain enough strength to manage the walk?). The latter seems like rather a lot of "shoe leather" to leave off-camera, but the obvious alternatives make even less sense to me.
Last edited by darrin on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Olba

Post by Olba » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Now that the "Miho keeps dying" issue is solved, I think it's time for some donuts.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Olba wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Now that the "Miho keeps dying" issue is solved, I think it's time for some donuts.
No, I think it's pretty clear -- for Miho to survive, Yaku must give up on donuts. It is the supreme sacrifice.

Zahooee

Post by Zahooee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

darrin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm
The latter seems like rather a lot of "shoe leather" to leave off-camera, but the obvious alternatives make even less sense to me.
Even moreso given that neither is wearing shoes.

That hike might have been a bit more painful than I’d want to tolerate, personally.

piro
The Artist

Post by piro » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm

you people are so used to me not doing transitions... well, i dont really have much space to do them sadly

they were near a small town where they landed, there was a small train station there. they waited quite a while for a train. yaku had some change and bills in her pocket from when she purchased donuts so they were able to buy a ticket to tokyo each.

yes, no shoes, not comfortable, but what can you do? hardly anyone at the station to tell them they couldnt board, especially with how dangerous muho can look

now quietly riding the long ride home.

does that help?

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Zahooee wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm
neither is wearing shoes.
Indeed, I had just looked again at the comic after I posted, and reminded myself of that. (You can't see the soles of Miho's feet but Yaku's stockings don't seem damaged in any way.) Also unless Yaku keeps train passes / money in pockets instead of purses, I'd wonder how they paid.

But if they did it "non-mundanely" I'd still kind of expect at least one of them to look a bit confused. So I'm leaning toward mundane but do have doubts. Another minor mystery to add to the much more important ones whirling about. :D

EDIT:
Wahh, ninjad by the Author himself. :ninja: :lol: Pity, otherwise I could be pleased that I'd guessed in more or less right directions. :cry:
Last edited by darrin on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 pm

darrin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm
I get the very strong impression that this is the first time in a long long time that Miho has been able to just hug someone without strings or baggage attached. Three quarks for Miss Yaku as the saying goes.

I am guessing from the absence of any "Where are we? How did we get here?" shrieks from Yakugashi that their transition to the train was mundane rather than more Miho-jumping. But that would imply that either the forest isn't so big as to lack a convenient train station within hobbling distance, or else they had to cover a lot of ground (Yaku dragging her? Or did Miho regain enough strength to manage the walk?). The latter seems like rather a lot of "shoe leather" to leave off-camera, but the obvious alternatives make even less sense to me.
This would probably also explain, why are they not visibly dripping wet on the seats and floor.

Well this is like in movies, scene cuts/transitions can insert arbitrary amounts of time in between... comics / mangas / animes tend to have that too. Hard to get used to, but sometimes necessary.

Fred apparently had a trail of sakura/leaves as in teleportation, ready for the frame - but did not use - i can't help but think, even IF they did not teleport, the leaves would still have worked... but that's IMVNHOO.

EDIT: Yaku has iron stockings :) even Ninja did not damage them, u see :)

(off-topic note: just translated [968] - end of chapter 8 in .pl - to be published on 25th Nov - publishing/queuing 4 comics per day is lotsa work... might need some fun project before starting with Omake - maybe will do Darrin's Rescripts (at least frames that appeared in so far) - will see :) )
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Well, I guess we can all take a deep breath now.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Zagaroth

Post by Zagaroth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 pm

darrin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm

but Yaku's stockings don't seem damaged in any way.
While that probably counts as a continuity mistake, I think the reality is that Fred refuses to draw feet any more than he has to. It's not actually a stocking fetish that has so many girls wearing socks all the time, it's that he can't draw feet well (which to be fair, are like the hardest thing to draw well.)

zumHueriger

Post by zumHueriger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 pm

So is there anyone still in "action" rather than transition...'cause this would (IMHO) make a pretty good end of chapter shot...

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:17 am

Damnitall...

Whelp... Miho is just about to eat Yaku's brain like a Mindflayer in that last frame.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:14 am

Awwwwwww, I like serene posts like these.

Thanks, Fred. I especially like panels 5 and 6, if the blank space can be counted as a panel.
Those eyes…

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Zahooee

Post by Zahooee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:15 am

piro wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm
now quietly riding the long ride home.

does that help?
I certainly wasn't complaining. My apologies if it came off that way.

if anything, I was appreciating the details you did give us. :)

Skorpion

Post by Skorpion » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am

Some major levels of d'awww in this strip. I think I have cavities now.

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am

As to the stockings... in all fairness the part of the stockings that would probably take the most damage and dirt (since she wasn't crawling about on her knees, and these don't look like flimsy nylons) are on the bottoms of the feet, which you can't see, and they do look dirty around the toes.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:53 am

My first reaction was they Jumped to the train. but I stand corrected. So, now what?

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Zagaroth wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 pm
darrin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm
but Yaku's stockings don't seem damaged in any way.
While that probably counts as a continuity mistake [...]
I wasn't thinking that; just that it would be hard to reconcile with pushing through, say, dense bracken and undergrowth. Going along some kind of forest path (made for the ninja toddlers, who haven't yet learned to walk on the tops of the trees? :ninja: :lol:) would be quite plausible (and wouldn't do much more than get them dirty as Mamma Peach points out).

Echoing Zahooee that I definitely wasn't complaining or confused, just mildly curious as to which of the seemingly likely possibilities (I had been leaning about 85% mundane, 15% "non-mundane-or-something-else") was the intended.
zumHueriger wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 pm
So is there anyone still in "action" rather than transition...'cause this would (IMHO) make a pretty good end of chapter shot...
Ashe has just walked up to Old Man's cafe table but not yet had what promises to be a very important conversation involving (at the very least) Ping. Whatever one's preferred theory on the Old Man ("Stranger Danger" or, as I still hold out on, Ping's literal "Old Man"), I will be very surprised if that conversation and its consequences get put off to the next chapter.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

piro wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm
especially with how dangerous muho can look
What is this new abomination called Muho?!?
:ninja: