Little Witch Academia now up on Netflix

dm

Little Witch Academia now up on Netflix

Post by dm » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 pm

....first 12 episodes, anyway.

The new TV series seems more juvenile than I remember the OAVs, with Akko considerably less competent than I remember her being in the OAVs, and that's having an impact on my enjoyment of the series. It's still a very sweet series, though.

It's a reboot --- we see Akko's original inspiration for becoming a witch, and see her struggling to get to the witch academy --- somewhat harder than catching the train at platform 9 3/4.

Diana starts out the early episodes seeming less stuck-up --- i.e., more willing to acknowledge Akko's worth --- than your usual anime antagonist. Sucy, on the other hand, seems pretty amoral, casually risking the lives of Lotte and Akko when they first meet.

Shiny Chariot (and Ursula) are voiced by Noriko Hidaka --- I suppose sticking to Studio Trigger's GAINAX roots (she was Noriko in Gunbuster, and Jean in Nadia). She played those roles in the OAVs, but I hadn't noticed.

E-l337

Re: Little Witch Academia now up on Netflix

Post by E-l337 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Overall, I'm really pleased with the show so far. Almost done watching the eps that are up, but overall this fills the void that has been left ever since Flying Witch.

Akko is definitely way more immature, but she has those moments of brightness that show why she's going to be such a big deal later on down the line. And I really love how they've handled Diana - I always got the impression that she wasn't intentionally being antagonistic - here, she's not antagonistic at all, it's everyone else around her doing the antagonizing on her behalf. The best part is how she quietly keeps trying to suggest that maybe they shouldn't be such assholes to the new kid.

In a lot of ways, she reminds me a lot of the typical Trigger foil, which is really pretty good. They're more supportive, trying to force the protagonist to get onto their level.

And also seeing Diana's whole world completely shatter in the second ep was just great.

I'm going to be so sad when I'm done watching this...

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:06 am

I've watched the whole lot and yeah, Akko kinda ruins it for me. She seems to get through her problems not by improving as a person but just through sheer obnoxious dogged persistence.

The show tends to waffle around a lot too.

While the OVAs left quite the impression, the series seems to be missing a certain spark.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:57 am

It's a cute show, probably didn't need to be a double cour, since there is a lot of filler that could've been cut out, IMO.

dm

Post by dm » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:26 pm

[/list]As Netflix expects, I whipped through the series in what amounts to a binge for me --- 12 eps in a week. It's okay, I'll watch the second cour when they make it available. Akko is just your typical shounen hero, winning through guts and determination.

I enjoyed all the references --- though the only ones I remember are:
  • Diana's minions are named "Hanna" and "Barbera"
  • there's Gendou-glasses somehwere moment in there
  • Akko transforms into Dumbo at one point
I hope Crunchyroll or Netflix get the rights to stream Tweeny Witches some day.

damaskrose

Post by damaskrose » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:48 am

I enjoyed this show even though it has a slow pacing.
Current Project: Off-road recovery truck | Toyo tires and Suspension Lift kit installation.