[1522] a little different

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Zahooee

Re: [1522] a little different

Post by Zahooee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm

There’s that phrase that has not been uttered in a long time.

I refuse to be the one to do it...

...but I’m certain that someone will.

Begin the countdown.

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Ping... Ping... what are you doing Ping!?!

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes, this guy knows what Ping is, and yes, is probably with Sony and maybe even her lead developer.

I am of mixed feelings about this. His demeanor suggests an almost fatherly approach, so he might simply be interested in knowing how she's been adapting to life "in the wild". On the other hand, he's with fucking Sony. His gentle approach could be simply because he know's what she's capable of, and he's looking for a way to coax her back to the lab or get her into position and then excuse himself to make a call to Ed.

Fred, you broke Iffy with this comic, so that's worth a drink. But if this turns out to be the beginning of the end for Ping then I am buying Jack a drum kit and espresso machine.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Yikes! Not quite fully trained in etiquette, I see. Oh, well....
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Sabyr

Post by Sabyr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Zahooee wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm
I like pie.
Prophet of Ping
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

Burn the land, boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 pm

piro wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm
I broke Iffy.

iffy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:12 pm
Uh
Never thought I'd see the day when someone made iffy shut up.

It's a sign of the Apocalypse.

The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:28 pm

(hundreds of words deleted)

ack. Just...ack.

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Oh, Ping. What are you doing?
I can only see how many ways this will go terribly wrong.

~shadowrider
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 am

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 am

shadowrider wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 pm
Oh, Ping. What are you doing?
I can only see how many ways this will go terribly wrong.
Wise words from a wise lady.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 am

darrin wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm
I will find it funnier if this guy had no improper interest toward Junko at all, and (...) I really love that Ping's-idea-of-Junko's-idea-of-a-sexy-smile in panel 6. :oops: :D
I fully agree with you, darrin.
I simply hope he’s *not* a bad character at all.

Looking forward to Ping’s misunderstanding him if *that* were the case…

:D
eomdal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 pm
Yes, this guy knows what Ping is, and yes, is probably with Sony and maybe even her lead developer.

I am of mixed feelings about this. His demeanor suggests an almost fatherly approach, so he might simply be interested in knowing how she's been adapting to life "in the wild".
I would so much like that… For Ping to find an ally inside Sony would be epic!!!
If he really is with Sony, maybe he got in touch with Junko *because* of her contact with Ping…
:)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am

piro wrote:
I broke Iffy.

iffy wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:12 pm
Uh
the 'victory' word reminds me of this :)
----
Ping is still wearing Junko's 'fat clothes' ?

Wonder what did she do to the real Junko. Just left her in the house ? Locked in the bathroom?

Great Page again, Fred :) The Draw(ing) is Strong in this one...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 pm

maldrul wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm
His statements in panels 5 and 6 are meant for Ping, not Junko. Go back and reread them from that perspective and you'll see. :>
Yes, that's definitely one of the clues that have me believing he's here for something much more significant than enjo kosai. Plus a few subtler things like body language...
NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm
Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. Such slimy vibes all over this one.
It bothers me that I'm not seeing that, even when I do the Bayesian thing and try suppress my biases toward my currently preferred hypothesis (above) and exert a conscious effort to evaluate the alternative(s). :cry: All I get looking at him is a rather solicitous grandfatherly type; even the arm on the shoulder in the last panel strikes me as familial rather than hurl-worthy. The contrast with this douche is striking to me; there's a spark in the current guy's eyes that looks to me more about curiosity (engineer / science type) rather than lust.

Further clues I am leaning on (maybe with a higher estimate of their justification than they deserve :P): in 1508 Junko calls him "Intelligent, mature, older..." She's had contact with him before. Supposing she were (understandably) curious about Ping, and supposing she's made attempts to find someone who can tell her more about Ping, and supposing this guy has responded to those attempts (maybe just online, maybe they've met in person before), then their "relationship" being entirely about non-hanky-panky things like Ping would entirely explain all of Junko's adjectives. "Intelligent" - either Ping's designer as maldrul suggests, smart enough to create a human-level artificial intelligence; or a co-worker or rival smart enough to understand said design (enough to have something useful to say to Junko anyway). "Mature" enough to meet and hang out with a teenage girl without expressing any improper interest a la her typical clients. "Older" well ok that one speaks for itself regardless of preferred theory. :roll:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm

eomdal wrote:

I am of mixed feelings about this. His demeanor suggests an almost fatherly approach, so he might simply be interested in knowing how she's been adapting to life "in the wild". On the other hand, he's with fucking Sony. His gentle approach could be simply because he know's what she's capable of, and he's looking for a way to coax her back to the lab or get her into position and then excuse himself to make a call to Ed.

Fred, you broke Iffy with this comic, so that's worth a drink. But if this turns out to be the beginning of the end for Ping then I am buying Jack a drum kit and espresso machine.
Hopefully it'll be a positive desu ex machina.

I wonder what he'll think of Largo's l33t h4xx.
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue May 01, 2018 12:50 pm

He does seem he might be somewhat familiar with her.

piro wrote:
I broke Iffy. { VICTORY }
No joke, actual lol at that response. Well met indeed.

silent killer wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:26 pm
:lol: I knew if I stuck aroundlong enough I'd get to see it happen.
Dangit though, I have some overexplaining every little detail in confusing contradictory ways to carry out, and shall not reject or shirk this task any longer!

maldrul wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm
The man is Ping's developer.... .... Then the last panel shows that Ping's propensity for pie was also preprogrammed by him.
All that makes a lot of sense. He should know where Ping was, then just triggered her through Junko's phone. Would explain why she took over for Junko so quickly, seemingly somewhat inexplicably in and of itself, and rather unlike her normal behavior, even taking into account her recent oddness. And the pie thing seems rather a big giveaway.

Still, why not directly contact Ping, or some other way that left Junko out of the loop and unaware. Unless other possible options didn't work so he resorted to going through Junko. Or there's more to that. Junko apparently does know him quite well... Which seems rather coincidental, maybe he's been more involved in what Ping has been doing for a while. (insert conspiracy theories here)

Speaking of Junko, where has she gotten herself to anyway. This guy might have a lot of explaining to do to her. Which would be good. ; )

Ningen wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm
I would have thought the heterochromia (mismatched eyes) was a bit of a give-away.
Yes but that's not all. There's attitude, earblades, under lashes, cheek spots. Yet mostly so far most people totally ignore and don't see any of the odd things, such things are even invisible to them. Maybe he is convinced she's Junko. ( Even if that doesn't necessarily really help explain a lot of the other weirdness.)

BetaCygnus wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 am
I would so much like that… For Ping to find an ally inside Sony would be epic!!!
He's not necessarily with Sony. Even if he is, they might not have actually created her, and if they did, he might be operating outside of normal channels. Or he's just some random... Rather maybe he's with another company, with somewhat the opposite of the mindset Junko's father had about the role of the SEVS as Analogue enhancement or replacement.
If he really is with Sony, maybe he got in touch with Junko *because* of her contact with Ping…:)
Even if not, perhaps he had some hand in arranging Ping to end up with Junko. He might be even working towards (or from) some Analogue angle. Or, assuming there's something to that notion even, it could turn out he's just another insider who vastly overestimates his capabilities in dealing with whatever Miho is and whatever powers she has.

cidjen wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am
Wonder what did she do to the real Junko. Just left her in the house ? Locked in the bathroom?
Yes, what. Maybe nothing and Junko is right around the corner, at the pie shop, or even remembering this guy might know Ping...

But iirc this is Junko's phone and the location has been switched. So perhaps Ping just left quickly and Junko has been ditched, marooned without a phone or much of an idea of where to go or what to do. Could be a tad angry at Ping even, if this guy isn't the instigator, hasn't set up something else because he's an insider rather just a long-ish-time contact of Junko.

darrin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 pm
in 1508 Junko calls him "Intelligent, mature, older..." She's had contact with him before.
Maybe not a creator, or working for either whoever made Ping or the company branding/marketing her (if it wasn't all Sony). Some scientist, engineer or journalist? Perhaps the next stop is following the trail of Miho (who we might imagine is still Ping's current goal).

Yes we don't know how long Junko has known him or under what circumstances she met him either. Aside from how Junko did seem rather flustered upon being contacted, with a vibe that maybe spoke of a longer association of some sort. That might just have been something else though making it appear so. Unless....

So much to think of.... Yeah, still broken.

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

eomdal wrote:

Huh?

Isn't this Junko's guy and Ping just hijacked their meeting?

Ping is pretending to be Junko.

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 pm

The thought is that the guy knows it's Ping, and that he arranged this, it maybe wasn't really Junko he was trying to see. Or that at least he's not surprised Ping hijacked it. Rather than just the usual total lack of paying attention.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue May 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Sackett wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Well, yes. The questions at the moment though are just what implications of "guy" are in play here, and whether or not this guy has actually "bought" Ping's highjacking and pretending. It's certainly possible (arguably the simplest and most likely possibility) this is just another EK client, and Fred is taking time amongst all the other plot chaos-ity going on right now to stop and re-focus on that aspect of Junko's character. I just have a sneaking suspicion (and seem not to have been the only one) this guy might actually be involved in "larger" [1] not-yet-resolved plot issues e.g. Miho or (much more likely I think) Ping.

It is probably the crazy rescripter that still lurks within me, but the more I look at the first few panels of this, the more I hear an internal monologue:
<panel 2> What's with the goofy earblade earrings? Hey, I MADE those earblades!
<panel 3> Bitch stole mah earblades...
<panel 4> Oh, that's no bitch, that's my Ping!

[1] Cue "there are no larger vs smaller plot points, there are no major or minor characters, they're all major characters to themselves with large plot points in their lives." Yes, yes, but you gotta rank by something, for convenience if nothing else. By "larger" read only "currently having a larger number of exposed but as yet unresolved plot threads" without any claim of "importance" attached (let alone predictions regarding future plot emphasis).

EDIT:
Oh snap I just saw another one. Ping playfully calls him "old man", presumably mostly literally if a bit teasing. He reacts to this with mild shock, and then says it's "remarkable" she would call him that.

I'm not sure if there is a Japanese expression that works like English "old man" to also have the meaning of father/dad, but if so, and if he is someone directly involved with Ping's creation, that would certainly explain his reaction to that phrase. 8-)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:03 pm
Oh snap I just saw another one. Ping playfully calls him "old man", presumably mostly literally if a bit teasing. He reacts to this with mild shock, and then says it's "remarkable" she would call him that.

I'm not sure if there is a Japanese expression that works like English "old man" to also have the meaning of father/dad, but if so, and if he is someone directly involved with Ping's creation, that would certainly explain his reaction to that phrase. 8-)
The man was reacting to the whole 'emulation of Junko' vibe that Ping presented (sly eyes and smirk as well as the 'old man' reference). It surprised him that Ping was able to do that so well. Remember that he has dated Junko before so he knows where she picked that up. Tsubasa had explained that Ping's personality was supposed to become an amalgamation of all the characters that she played on the PS4, but emulating a real person seems to be beyond her original programming.

It is also possible that Ping got the 'old man' reference from her time in the prototype lab. Perhaps that was what the junior developers would affectionately called him and Ping observed it.

infidel

Post by infidel » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm

paarfi wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 pm
Oh Pinko. What are you doing?

I do not like this old man who dates highschool girls.
Robot not girl. Old man who dates robots.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Sackett wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:04 pm
eomdal wrote:
Huh?

Yes, I wasn't implying that he meant for this meeting to happen. He was expecting Junko but then (probably) recognized Ping as soon as he saw her.

Olba

Post by Olba » Tue May 01, 2018 11:09 pm

maldrul wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 pm
an amalgamation of all the characters that she played on the PS4
I think you will find that false, as Ping is an accessory for the PS2.

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 am

Sabyr wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:47 pm
Zahooee wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 pm
I like pie.
わい!!

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 am

darrin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:19 pm
NinjaDefenestrator wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:32 pm
Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. Such slimy vibes all over this one.
It bothers me that I'm not seeing that, even when I do the Bayesian thing and try suppress my biases toward my currently preferred hypothesis (above) and exert a conscious effort to evaluate the alternative(s). :cry: All I get looking at him is a rather solicitous grandfatherly type; even the arm on the shoulder in the last panel strikes me as familial rather than hurl-worthy. The contrast with this douche is striking to me; there's a spark in the current guy's eyes that looks to me more about curiosity (engineer / science type) rather than lust.
Like +1, Darrin. =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed May 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Seems like the two main choices are 1 he thought (at some point) he was meeting Junko, 2 he did something like send something to Junko's phone to trigger Ping. For 1 he may still think it's Junko, for 2 he knows it's Ping.

Either way he could be many things, except some choices vary depending on if he A still thinks it's Junko and that history for what length of time in what situations, B has figured out it's not Junko but doesn't know who Ping is, C has figured out it's not Junko and knows who Ping is, D has known it was Ping all along.

His actions and demeanor and suggesting pie seem to more lead towards D, but that so far seems to lead to some oddities involving Junko's earlier behaviors regarding him.

maldrul wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Remember that he has dated Junko before so he knows where she picked that up.
It wasn't quite clear what their interactions have been, and Junko's seemingly atypical reactions might suggest not dating. She almost seemed reverential, and nervous. Seems lengthier and more professional? Like an authority figure of some sort. The most famous Megatokyo AI and Cyborg expert? Some version of her father that she actually respects. Etc Or sure maybe just a client she has actual romanticalish ideas about.
but emulating a real person seems to be beyond her original programming.
It appears Ping has quite well been absorbing people and events this entire time. Restricted initially by modesty restraints regarding Piro and Largo, but morphing into more like who she was around, in different ways depending on if it was Piro and Largo, or Erika and Kimiko, or Miho, or Junko. Almost to the point where maybe the EDS concept was not quite true, more a cover for something else or never did apply to games and users. But real or not, she appears to have not had much difficulty, for whatever reason, in gathering a whole bunch of habits from Miho and Junko.

infidel wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 pm
Robot not girl. Old man who dates robots.
If he's going out with Junko, then it would be high-school girls. Although IDK if it's been established (or at least I don't remember and don't feel like looking : ) that Junko isn't just hanging on and not graduating, or she got held back or something, and isn't an adult who happens to be in high-school. Then it would be sort of like, but not in the same way, Miho and Ping essentially aren't high-school girls even though they go to one.