Ninjas and open-frame CRT TVs

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

cidjen

Ninjas and open-frame CRT TVs

Post by cidjen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

It actually was bothering me since I saw it first... In the scene where Junpei caries Miho to his room. Or on the following panels.

It's in every ninja room they are passing.

It is also in Junpei's room.

A TV. A CRT TV. WITH NO CASE.

An open frame, chassis only, TV or maybe a VGA monitor #remember2001 :) (also I had a few SVGA CRT monitors, I remember them and I remember analog TV. I know people who still use a 14 in NEC TV they bought in 1990, today)

Yeah ?

But why?

Why put a device with high voltage parts exposed, into the room whose walls/panels are made of paper? Not to mention that parts of the tube at the back can be pretty hot? Or that it is an implosion hazard if something falls on it? It's a cool detail but is there an explanation? Does it come from some ninja stories genre ?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

garapagosu

Re: Ninjas and open-frame CRT TVs

Post by garapagosu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 am

Ninjas exist outside of the matrix.

Or maybe it prevents others from hiding explosives in the case.

OR, maybe the ninjas are dangerous to the monitor, not the other way around. :ninja:

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 pm

In Russia monitor watches you.

Perhaps he's an electronics hobbyist. Perhaps it's just an ornament. Iffy could probably write a full page about it. I won't.

SpaceCobraJoe

Post by SpaceCobraJoe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Which comics have these exposed CRTs?

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:43 pm

SpaceCobraJoe wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 pm
Which comics have these exposed CRTs?
[1472]

I think part of the explanation is that Jumpei doesn't live in this room anymore. He has his apartment next door to Tsubasa's old place [70]. This room is where he grew up, and that was his tv from years ago when he was a teenager. Either Junpei Mom keeps things like he left them in the hopes that he'll visit more often, or maybe there are enough spare rooms at Ninja compound that they haven't needed to give it to someone else yet.

edit to add link to comic 70
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am

Also, I think part of the ninja ethic would be that they were always careful and ware of their surroundings. Having hazardous stuff around shouldn't be a problem, and might be seen as valuable.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Ningen wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am
Also, I think part of the ninja ethic would be that they were always careful and ware of their surroundings. Having hazardous stuff around shouldn't be a problem, and might be seen as valuable.
Cool thought... however CRT TV's opened up like that tend to attract a lot more dust (when closed in a case they do too, but you can't see it until you open it)... so it's not just high-voltage fragile implosion hazard, but also a dust ball and ozone-generator... iow not very good for your health even if one is a ninja ...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )