What are you watching Q1 2018

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

What are you watching Q1 2018

Post by omoikane » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Last quarter
Happy belated new years akeom(ry

What anime/manga/etc are you watching/reading/etc this quarter?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: What are you watching Q1 2018

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:08 am

So far:
Takagi-san is cute, but it's turning into a one trick pony......
After the Rain has promise.....
Overlord 2 is concentrating on storybuilding, not much to see here so far....
Kokkoku is just OK.....
Violet Evergarden looks a lot better than it plays, but it's still very good....
Yuru Camp is a treat....

Still watching Ancient Magus Bride (Still Good) and 3 Gatsu (Amazing)........

Apparently Franxx and Saiki are things?

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm watching a lot this season, surprisingly.

Overlord S2 - I can solve more than two sides of a rubix cube. Am i cool yet?
Darling in the FranXX - Hot diggety damn that first episode was something.
Violet Evergarden - It's Saber/ Stay Night. Robo-fingers. Sakuga.
Citrus - I'm... probably going to drop this.
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card - I kinda want to drop this until it's completely aired, and then binge watch.
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni - I might drop this. It's kinda cute, but... that's all it's really got going for it right now.
Ryuuou no Oshigoto - I'm definitely probably going to drop this. Yes, I'm aware of the contradiction.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Continuing:
Overlord S2 - The lizard arc is the weakest arc, so it's good they're burning through it right away.
Darling in the FranXX - Man, this show is awesome. Idle observation: the girls' uniforms have a red X thing on them, and the boys' outfits have a red Y on them. top kek.
Violet Evergarden - It's Saber/ Stay Night. Robo-fingers. Sakuga. ....and autism.
Citrus - Lesbians. Don't think I've watched anything yuri since sasameki koto and that was terrible. bad. terribad.
New:
Toji no Miko - Just another thin plot where child soldiers once again save japan from a threat. Dropped.
Killing Bites - That's what Killing Bites is. That's what Killing Bites is. That's what Killing Bites is. Dropped.
Beatless - I picked this up because I'd heard Japan had given it an "S" rank, which I guess is good. As far as I can tell so far, it's just another Chobits. Might drop it.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 pm

So far this season...

Up:
Yurucamp - Probably the kind of kirara slice of cute girls doing cute things the world loves. This time it sticks to the namesake.
Overlord S2 - the lizards are great, and the cutest.
Darlifra, Frankiss, whatever. I love the designs in the show, and it is like an older style of giant robot sf cartoon. Like before Star Driver was a thing.
Pop Team Epic - the dubbing kills

Mid:
Violent Everyguarden - the show whose name I love make fun of. Sakuga aside this is just not working IMO. It feels too much like a 23-minute Animation Do commercial except it isn't even advertising anything. Go back to making films IMO.
Mitsuboshi colors ... I think I'll dig it, just need to get into the mood
Yoimori ... You can gather 200k retweet and hitch a ride to Antarctica. this is belabored. In a way this show is very well put together but the framing device is grating and the characters don't work for me. The oddball chemistry is just odd, not charming.
Koizumi loves ramen - good for the ramen trivia. Just waiting to see how many spots I've been that they will visit in the show?
Citrus - It's terrible in the ways I expected, so it's rather fun. I'm enjoying the pretty lame drama, admittedly, mainly because the characters are fun.
Slow Start - It's OK i guess. Have enough healing power to keep going.
Kokkoku - I guess it's different. I like the character designs (natch).
Card Captor Sakura - It's got the right stuff going I guess, tho this shaoran ship is a tad thick.
Takunomi - promising but only saw 1ep?
Grancrest - seems okay if they keep this pace
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens - Something different I guess, and not terrible.
Death march - lol this is bad, but okay I'll keep with it.
marchen madchen - lol this is also kind of bad, but the main chara is attractive in a weird way i wonder why...

Down:
Toji no Miko - Could be a lot worse, so far it's OK?

Others:
Gdmens - They are okay I guess

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

omoikane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 pm
Mitsuboshi colors ... I think I'll dig it, just need to get into the mood
Oh hey, I was just reading the manga for that on, er, some site or other, a week or so ago. Seemed pretty hilarious but 1) I have kind of a weird sense of humor and 2) maybe the anime is not doing a great job conveying the oddball humor of the manga. I might try looking for it though now, thanks for mentioning it. :D
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 am

Yuru Camp - I didn't think comfy levels could be this high but here we are. I've rewatched the first episode a few times.

Darling in the FranXX - If someone told me this was made by Bones, I'd believe them. It's not just the Star Driver mechs, there's like a certain feel that makes me think of Captain Earth. Like it takes itself too seriously or something.

Mitsuboshi Colors - Something feels a bit off compared to the manga.

Card Captor Sakura - Just waiting for the CLAMP CLUSTERFUCK TWIST. Assuming there is one. Or more weird squicky relationships.

Violet Evergarden - It is pretty but kinda dull.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san - Oh hey I've eaten at Ippudo too.

Pop Team Epic - Episode 1 was an eye opener but I don't think I can watch anymore of this.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho - I feel like I should like this more but it's just kinda alright.

Fate/EXTRA - Hoo boy. This can't be as bad as Apocrypha.

I've also went and watched Devilman Crybaby which I thought was kinda poop. Still watching Mahouyome and 3-gatsu.

Murren

Post by Murren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:19 am

I took a break from anime for a while. I have recently picked it back up.

Currently watching Mai-HiME. I wasn't convinced at first, but I'm now about 6 episodes in and I am really liking how this is turning out. Very cute/enjoyable characters, and very interesting turns of events happening. I think the story is well-told so far. Oh and did I mention cute characters? Honestly really fun to watch.

Recently watched the 4th season of Maria-sama ga Miteru. This was mostly a re-watch, because I had watched about 12.1 of the 13 episodes but never finished, but that was a while back so I decided to watch the whole season again. In all, this is one of my personal favorite shows that I've watched, and the biggest reason for me is seeing the deep bonds and relationships that the characters have, and the different ways that they support each other emotionally, and seeing just how much they mean to each other and how much they care for each other... I think the relationships in this show are very well-written. And the characters are very admirable and fun to watch. I like shows with well-written relationships.

I was watching ef: A Tale of Melodies, but I was having such a hard time remembering characters from ef: A Tale of Memories (because I watched it like 3 years ago), that I'm going to re-watch Memories first, then move on to Melodies. Very nice show.

I've also got a lot of shows on hold that I'll pick back up at some point, or perhaps watch from the beginning again. And a lot of shows on my plan to watch.

Edit: oh yeah, how could I forget! I also started iDOLM@STER Side M. I love it so far. Which is nice, because while the first iDOLM@STER anime is one of my favorite shows ever, for some reason I wasn't quite as pleased with the iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls anime (although it did give me one of my favorite best girls of all time). So going into Side M, I didn't know what to expect, but so far I am very pleased!
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:23 pm

SideM is good.

I also managed to start:
Koiame - it is okay I guess, enough humor and serious, a lot of neither.
ryuo no oshigoto - good loli anime because you can ignore the shogi part almost.
gonna drop yorimoi because don't like some characters I guess.

the new emiya menu is out very soon. toshikoshi soba was something i finally got to have this past NYE so i was feeling particularly fond of episode 1.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 am

Didn't care for Franxx at all. Animation isn't very good, and "overpowered girl likes sheepish boy" plot seems dated.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 pm

wow animation isn't very good...i beg to differ on that.

but fair on the other points. i'm at the place where I miss a good "overpowered girl likes sheepish boy" plot, and 02's animal behaviorisms are the vintage bones take i've been missing lol

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:36 am

The action sequences in Franxx are OK, but the characters are drawn simply?

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am

Not liking the character designs is not quite the same as the animation being bad.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:31 am

the animation style during the fights reminds me of heroman a bit, probably because many similar staff and koyama's mechanical designs. also they kind of animate the mecha a bit like people and less like giant moving things. i don't know, i think the animation looks actually really good if purposefully restrained a bit.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

To me, the character designs are part of the whole animation package; in Franxx, I simply don't like them, for the most part. I did like the ducks, though.... :)

Murren

Post by Murren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am

Finally finished Kiniro Mosaic after having it on hold for a while. Surprisingly, Kujo Karen grew to be my favorite character in the show. (My favorite character was Yoko, but eventually it became Karen, because she's just, the greatest.) This show has the most adorable humor. I love it.

Hidamari Sketch - for some reason, I can't really seem to get into the style of this show... but it's still enjoyable enough for me to keep watching. Partly because Miyako is cute.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am
To me, the character designs are part of the whole animation package; in Franxx, I simply don't like them, for the most part. I did like the ducks, though.... :)
You can paint everything in broad strokes if you wish, but I prefer to be more selective about my terms. I have no qualms with the motion of things in Franxx - what I consider the animation.
There's also a bunch of anime scenes where they opt for far more complex animation and choreography but it comes at the cost of the detailing of individual frames. Sometimes people slam the episodes where such things happen - saying they ran out of budget or the animation got bad while completely not paying attention to the motion that is being portrayed. Which is a big pity. The most recent one I can think of is Fate Apocrypha. While they try and largely fail to animate a lot of the action scenes particularly well(really floaty weightless fight scenes with lots of crappy effects trying to cover that up), there was an episode or two towards the end where they pull out some stops or get some better animators on board or something. Episode 22? But those "sakuga" type scenes come at a cost of character detailing and background detailing - characters are shaded far simpler or not even shaded at all. Noein and Yozakura Quartett also come to mind. I also want to mention Ping Pong - while the art style may not sit well with many calling its animation bad because of that would be folly.

Meanwhile individual frames can look really attractive while bugger all moves or stills are overly used. The most immediate example off the top of my head is Kabaneri. You can find some pretty attractive screenshots and stills of the show, but there's quite a number of scenes where they utilize a still with blurry lines on the edges and pan it for a few seconds. Stuff like that is what I'd call bad animation(or lack of animation). Though if you want proper bad cheap animation just look at most of anything done by Pierrot or BEE Train...

Franxx though I don't have that much issue with their frame details or character designs. If I had to nitpick I guess their use of shadows on characters is a bit weak so everything can look a bit flat at times.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:47 am

I'll admit, my approach to anime is more as a fan; my skills in articulating why I like or dislike something lag behind everyone else who frequents this forum. DK, I checked out most of the examples you gave, and I can see your points. Ping Pong remains one of my favorites because of the art style(along with many other things).

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Darling in the FranXX It's enjoyable. Wish we could see more of the team doing things, instead of "Oh no, we can't actually do the thing, Strelizia, come save us!"
Citrus Lesbians in the Fra- whoops. Seems sort of DRAMA OF THE WEEK instead of Monster of the Week. Still think i should drop this, probably won't.
Violet Evergarden Normally I like mature shows with slow-burning plots and excellent animation, but it seems really... directionless.
Overlord S2 Shall-chair.
Killing Bites Why the fuck haven't I dropped this? Because that's what Killing Bites is.
Beatless It's not terrible, but it's not great, either. No new ground is being broken.
Ryuuou no Oshigoto I am now interested in learning more about shougi. This show reminds me (in context) of Ro Kyu Bu, which I definitely didn't watch both seasons and the OVA.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 am

Halfway through the season.....

Not sure why I'm still watching Kokkoku; except for the main girl and the old man, everyone there is either evil, twisted, or annoying AF.

Right now, Franxx is better than Kokkoku, but I'm still pulling for the klaxosaurs....

Tagaki-san is utterly predictable, but it's so cute that I'll forgive it......

After the Rain sometimes is truly amazing, but there are times the story derails and bogs down.

I'm hoping Overlord 2 will find it's way(or was there a purpose in the lizard men arc?).

The Ancient Magus' Bride is OK. Nothing in it impresses, but nothing in it offends, either.

Violet Evergarden still looks pretty amazing, the plot moves along at its own pace.

Yuru Camp is still comfy.....

3 gatsu is taking 3 weeks off for the Olympics. Sucks, but at only 11ep/cour, it can afford to, I guess. Still my fav by a mile, though.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Anyone watch B: The Beginning yet? Netflix has the whole thing, ready for binge-watching.....

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Well, I went and binged B: The Beginning. I thought it was going to be really dark, but plot armor took over, and lessened its potential a lot. Not too bad, overall.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Darling in the FranXX So this last episode, (#8) I have to say that 02's laugh was just delightful. I have to admit I watched that scene several times just to hear it.
Citrus This is getting dull.
Violet Evergarden I dropped it. Might pick it back up when it's done airing.
Overlord S2 Solution. That is all.
Killing Bites Dropped.
Beatless Dropped.

TheBigN

Post by TheBigN » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Been a while, and usually I have been starting series as the season starts, then falling back for the past couple of years. This one is no different.

Series I'm falling back on include:
Yurucamp: Pretty much hits the spot for me. It's Kirara, but with the slow pace I usually get behind quickly.
Place Further Then The Universe: Would be in it for the seiyuu alone, but liking the story and interactions before the main group.
Pop Team Epic: Love the rotating cast, as well as the seiyuu jokes that abound because of it (favorite is still Wakamoto)
Koizumi Loves Ramen: I enjoy eating ramen in general, so it's fun to find out some of the myriad variations that are present in Japan. And makes me wish I ate more ramen while I've traveled there.
Today's Menu for the Emiya Family: Basically the best parts of the Fate Stay/Night wrapped up in a bundle of warm. Love how there's always something happening with this pastel animation. And the food.

damaskrose

Post by damaskrose » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 am

I'm watching Darling in the Franxx, Violet Evergarden, CardCaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc, Gakuen Babysitters, and After the Rain.
Current Project: Off-road recovery truck | Toyo tires and Suspension Lift kit installation.