[1480] Bumpy Ride

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

darrin

Re: [1480] Bumpy Ride

Post by darrin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:42 pm

marsonkhan wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 am
To the question of where she is kissing Piro, it depends on whether the distance between her head and his ignores the panel between or is increased by the intervening panel. From the layout, the distance between heads is as shown, since the edge of the original drawing is still visible. That places the kiss at mid-chest or navel as I see it. Maybe lower.
You're right. I missed that thin little strip joining the Kimiko and Piro drawings into a single big panel in the fourth row. So I was wrong up above when I said her forehead was still near his chin.

EDIT:
Just noticed this.
iffy wrote:Crawling all over somebody like a frantic succubus? Given what we've seen from the real actual Kimiko while being herself, it's abnormal.
What we've seen directly, true; but to be fair, if we take Erika at her word, Kimiko has a history of smothering a guy who sticks around past the "Kimi-zilla" phase. So her becoming (even) more affectionate over the next few strips wouldn't be totally un-foreshadowed.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Yana wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 pm
Crap, so does this mean that I'm a filthy newcomer for being 10 days removed from that migration?
Darkmorford just added you to the MT Old Farts group, along with everybody who got migrated. No longer a filthy newcomer. :)
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 pm

paarfi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Darkmorford just added you to the MT Old Farts group, along with everybody who got migrated. No longer a filthy newcomer. :)
I did not get migrated as my old ID (4'33") had FORBIDEN characters so I had to start a new ID. *sigh*
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

DarkMorford
Site Admin

Post by DarkMorford » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 pm
paarfi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 pm
I did not get migrated as my old ID (4'33") had FORBIDEN characters so I had to start a new ID. *sigh*
That's an unfortunate aspect of this forum software. Even if I turn all the username restrictions off in the admin settings, it won't allow names that have quotation marks. Apologies for the inconvenience, but it's not something that I can do anything about.

TriOmegaZero

Post by TriOmegaZero » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 am

Should I be applying to the Old Farts and VN groups? Or is it just bragging rights?

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 am

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 am
Should I be applying to the Old Farts and VN groups? Or is it just bragging rights?
I suspect the answers are "If it's important to you" and "Yes", in that order. (^_~)
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 am

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 am
I'll ask Darkmorford to add you to the group. It's just a bragging rights thing. Fred might make a badge for it one of these days, but it doesn't grant any extra access or anything.

Fred asked us to set that group up because this is a community. We were losing people's post counts and joined dates when we moved to the new forum, and while those things don't make any practical difference, they still matter.

Everybody who had their account migrated across the the new forum is already part of the MT Old Farts group. Any of you veterans who didn't get migrated have only to ask, and we'll be happy to add you.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:58 am

Fred plans to start on the next comic today. You can watch him draw it live on Twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/fredrin

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Yay! That is quite soon given this one just went up on the 12th. Looking forward to more Megumi goodness coming soon. :lol:

I know her "boring conversation" quip was a Star Wars ref, but the vibe I have been getting from her is Bruce Willis in Fifth Element: "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft; you wanna play it hard, let's play it hard." The more shit they are throwing at her the tougher she is getting. (To be expected of a snarky MegaTokyo waitress; whatever life is gonna dish out this shift, she will roll with it.)

If I were the corporal-on-scene I would be telling the other TPCD units at this point, "Ok, guys, let's dial it back a bit for this one." Otherwise they are just gonna keep leveling her up.

If she actually buckles her seatbelt at some point, my advice to them would be to run. :ph34r:

EDIT:
Paying more attention to the _sounds_ in 1480, I now think my "drifting" remarks above were off the mark. In panels 1, 4, and 7, the car isn't moving yet, she has just SNIK!ed the car into gear and then seen the TPCD units converging on her. Then in panel 11 she is indeed backing up (blindly! :ninja:) to the right, prior to (I expect next) moving forward to her left directly away from them. (A "T" turn so to speak.)

So not quite drifting :lol: but still thinking pretty fast on her feet. I am really looking forward to her moves in the next few strips.

EDIT2:
Con also mentioned Megumi's "leveling up" back in the 1479 thread; I figured folks would still remember that but if anybody missed it, there it is. :)

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 pm
And Iffy is here... New forum, same old wall of text...
My first new board post in SD was in (New Forums! (this is fine...) ), and it was only 8 words long....
:o
Roborat wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 pm
I see Fred hasn't enabled the "disable Iffy wall of text" feature yet. :D
Exposition etc takes words! ;)

The more summary version: Kimiko just might be turning into an actual Analogue somehow as some have suggested. Hasn't broken character yet, maybe can't. It doesn't seem like her to be putting the moves on at all even in private and calm, given what we've seen from her previous behavior and what she knows about Piro's outlook on things. Seems even less likely with her friend/co-worker present, especially during an ongoing stressful escape. We'll see though how it turns out.

darrin wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:42 pm
What we've seen directly, true; but to be fair, if we take Erika at her word, Kimiko has a history of smothering a guy who sticks around past the "Kimi-zilla" phase. So her becoming (even) more affectionate over the next few strips wouldn't be totally un-foreshadowed.
The 'history of Kimiko smothering' sounded more like her becoming nauseatingly overly-clingy after the other had survived things that had driven most others away. A 'trial by fire over, when is the wedding' sort of thing. If that's what Erika meant, this doesn't seem it.

I just happen to feel that if this continues like it could, it might be better explained by the role than the person playing it. But what happens and why remains to be seen, so it's just guessing based on extrapolation. Anything could happen after all, but it's only true once it has.

If Kimiko is replacing Miho and so is exhibiting the same sorts of behaviors but from the way an inexperienced new Analogue would, perhaps what Kimiko is on the way towards is more like how things were online between Piro and Miho during Endgames. Unless that was quite different than what we've been lead to believe. Either way, at least now we get to see some of it rather than just hearing people tell stories about it.

Yes though, I agree becoming more affectionate would seem called for if she really feels that way. More affectionate than being exhausted in each others arms, happing over a few days in more usual sorts of interactions and circumstances. More tentative, in situations set up that lend themselves to agreements. Even here, perhaps, if it was something more subtle and to an expected level matching the situation. (Not that everyone agrees what that would entail; like if Erika moved too fast going over and building/testing computer with Largo then trying to switch the subject, or if she was moving slowly enough but was merely excessively underestimating how inexperienced and naive he was.)

This though, this is more like Kimiko suddenly notching up the affection to full plus extra. And at a time more akin to after the talk about Piro's artwork at the apartment, after a story about Endgames destroyed any mood, but if there were other people there, and it had just caught fire.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 pm

iffy wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm
Kimiko... Hasn't broken character yet, maybe can't.
I'm not sure I buy that. They are under a blanket in a car, now would be the perfect opportunity for her to "be herself" for Piro even if only for a short time. It might be the last opportunity for a while, depending on what happens in upcoming strips (fanboys catch their scent again, TPCD ratchets up the mayhem). And for all that her behavior doesn't seem like "typical Kimiko" to some people, it doesn't really seem like "typical Miho" to me either. (EDIT: Let alone "floppy corpse" Miho, which is what she should be doing if she were really "staying in character" 8-))
This though, this is more like Kimiko suddenly notching up the affection to full plus extra.
Well... so far she's only kissed his shirt. ;) Suggestive certainly, but technically nothing steamy has happened yet. I'm still seeing her look in 1479 as "concerned /worried" rather than "aroused", and whatever she's talking herself into / working herself up to I don't think she's quite there yet. Could she get to such a state in a very few strips, assuming that's what she's going for? Definitely, but at this precise moment it's still arguably ambiguous.

At the very least she's going to need to give Piro time to catch up; at the moment he is still pretty bug-eyed. -> :shock: <- :lol:

Yana

Post by Yana » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 pm

Well, I can't claim that I'll post walls of text explaining character motivations to the extent that most of the vets will (lord knows most of my posts are pretty short), but I can't help but think that the next words out of Piro's mouth are going to something along the lines of "WTF?!"

It's the obvious solution and I'm stickin' to it.
Not everyone was meant to stand out in legend.

Grimchar

Post by Grimchar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 pm

paarfi wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 am
It's just a bragging rights thing... it doesn't grant any extra access or anything.
It never did grant any extra perks nor should it now. Still, in my opinion, it is nice to see the "ol' timers," those who have remained faithful to Megatokyo (some since the beginning), who haven't turned away from the story, and who are still actively interested in the world that Fred has created, get a little pat-on-the-back.
"My Doctorate is purely honorary and Harry is only qualified to work on sailors." - The 4th Doctor.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 am

At my age being called an "old fart" almost invariably gets the response of, "fuck you, asshole".

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:10 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 am
At my age being called an "old fart" almost invariably gets the response of, "fuck you, asshole".
My usual response is "Yeah, but I can still kick your ass!" 8-)

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 am

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:10 am
Invisigoth wrote:
My usual response is "Yeah, but I can still kick your ass!" 8-)
Hehe awesome

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:18 pm

SELECT * FROM members WHERE fart="OLD OLD OLD!!"

iffy

Post by iffy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm

darrin wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:08 pm
{has not broken character} I'm not sure I buy that. They are under a blanket in a car, now would be the perfect opportunity for her to "be herself" for Piro even if only for a short time. It might be the last opportunity for a while, depending on what happens in upcoming strips (fanboys catch their scent again, TPCD ratchets up the mayhem). And for all that her behavior doesn't seem like "typical Kimiko" to some people, it doesn't really seem like "typical Miho" to me either.
It still seems (based upon previous actions etc) too aggressive for Kimiko (at least to Piro and in the now) even if it were in private calm circumstances. Sure, it's possible this is all her, a reaction to the situation, clarifying the message, testing the waters, pushing the issue. I agree it's not something we've seen Miho physically do. Even though such has been hinted at and mentioned in the past (such as whatever Yuki was hiding from Yutaka on the laptop, what Miho said about her adventures with Meimi, the alleged way she got Piro his outfit at the school), we've not seen Miho put the moves on. Those were different stories though. So 'being in character' is more conditional; if this is what the character would do, if it goes where it might end up, and so on. I suppose also the case could be made that if this is Kimiko's character taking advantage of the situation to push an issue, that is something we have seen Miho do. And there's also that no matter how emotive and natural and good at embodying the essence of whatever role this is, Kimiko isn't experienced with and practiced at it.

What would either Kimiko or whoever she is playing right now do during a slight lull in a tense ongoing escape whilst hidden? That might help determine a lot. What are the internal thoughts and short- and long-term goals though, we really don't (and pretty much can't) know for sure on any objective level. Some of this might rely upon Piro; Kimiko knows he wants things to be right and that he has been going slowly (to say the least), we see he seems to think this is a strange thing to do right now right here. But is he supposed to be acting in his own role, and if so will he catch on and continue to take the correct actions. So maybe the bigger questions aren't what she might do next or why, but how will he react, and what is going to happen in the escape itself.
(EDIT: Let alone "floppy corpse" Miho, which is what she should be doing if she were really "staying in character" 8-))
That's a good point, if this is supposed to still be sad dead grrl, she wouldn't be doing anything. However, it's not really that, is it. They are still being followed by groups that are still around, the stories aren't done. This character (depending on the viewpoint) is more the life-breathing bringing something special upcoming voice actress and freshly minted Idol, playing dead to help save the Analogue from her preordained fate. To die for Miho in order to diffuse a critical social situation. Which illusion includes being carried by the emotively compelling artist who is also linked to the players and the roles past and present, and whom the VA has professed her love for, apparently. What would those characters do. Which characters? Miho didn't gap to the ASF, she had a pacemaker put in and Kimiko is pretending to be her and be dead. If this is some gambit by Kimiko to accelerate the relationship with Piro, that might just be part of another story, which again seems pretty Miho-like. Unless this is more akin to the story Miho made up about Kotone, or is about VA/Artist, waitress/gamer, two shy people developing a relationship, how the world ends, or how a normal can become an Analogue. So it rather all hinges on determining first what character would be the one potentially being stayed in.
{ratcheting things up} Well... so far she's only kissed his shirt. ;) Suggestive certainly, but technically nothing steamy has happened yet. I'm still seeing her look in 1479 as "concerned /worried" rather than "aroused", and whatever she's talking herself into / working herself up to I don't think she's quite there yet. Could she get to such a state in a very few strips, assuming that's what she's going for? Definitely, but at this precise moment it's still arguably ambiguous.
Yes, for now, of course. If it does what it might, that would be the ratchet. It doesn't have to happen though, no. It could also just turn out to be a mater of pushing the oddly acting person away (as well as somebody on the lam in a moving vehicle laying on broken safety glass can push somebody away) for the time being. A bump or stop tosses everyone around and ends a potential Miri & Zack moment or whatever up to that it might could have been. Some other interruption externally. Junpei pops in. Yuki arrives. Meimi stops by. Masamichi standing in the road forces Megumi to slam on the brakes. So while it could be that whatever this is continues, we could also get Piro refusing to play along any more and shaking her or yelling at her, or she stops right after this because it was something merely symbolic. Perhaps it even turns out to be the last thing that happens before we get a vehicle/mech version of Bambi versus Godzilla. So it's also more a matter of where it might end up later as to if it's actually going to be exceedingly affectionate to the nth.

What it looks like so far and extrapolating, well, some are fond of suggesting the simplest answer is likely the correct one. Yet there are so many potential answers in the big picture that depend on what's being looked at, and what happens next -- little is simple in an almost infinite sea of choice.

Before they happened, who would have fully expected such as Erika becoming a teacher and calling out Miho and Piro for note passing at the school. Komugiko being the one helping to extract everyone from the bath house, Erika and Largo becoming a couple, Piro actually knowing Miho, Yuki and Yutaka tracking Miho and Piro through the gaps, The Horde tearing down the school, Miho jumping out of the diner with Kimiko the instant before Ed blew it up, Junpei stopping Megumi from getting her head demolished and in a much more spectacular way than when Miho stopped Ed from doing the same to Ping, Piro looking at a very interesting drawing just before showing us he knew exactly where Miho had been the whole time she'd been gone, or even her retreating to the ASF after ending her direct interactions with Ed and everyone starting to forget about her.

Things aren't always as they seem, but until something happens along a path there's not much that can be done but expect it will continue as to what it looks like. However it turns out to be like that or not.

Yana wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 pm
..... but I can't help but think that the next words out of Piro's mouth are going to something along the lines of "WTF?!"

It's the obvious solution and I'm stickin' to it.
The wide eyes, the "uh...", the continuing wide eyes. Exactly so currently, indeed.

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:58 pm

iffy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm
(EDIT: Let alone "floppy corpse" Miho, which is what she should be doing if she were really "staying in character" 8-))
That's a good point, if this is supposed to still be sad dead grrl, she wouldn't be doing anything. However, it's not really that, is it. They are still being followed by groups that are still around, the stories aren't done.
So... Kimiko wasn't pretending to be dead Miho, she was pretending to be Miho pretending to be dead? And now she is pretending to be Miho no longer pretending to be dead, but (pretending to be Miho) stopping for a snog with Piro?

Sorry but that just seems a lot more meta than Kimiko usually goes, and more meta than the original plan (convince the fanboys that Miho is dead) calls for. Even setting aside the fanboys, what would Kimiko be hoping to accomplish with this? Even if she thought Piro had such feelings for Miho, he probably wouldn't want to kiss or be kissed by a substitute Miho. Even if she thought Miho had such feelings for Piro, Miho probably wouldn't want Kimiko kissing him "on Miho's behalf". It doesn't make sense even if everyone actually felt that way (which I'm not at all convinced is the case to begin with). Kimiko taking quick advantage of a "lull" (when they are at least out-of-sight of any potential fanboys) to be herself with Piro doesn't require any such twisty assumptions.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
You should check the code on your randomizer, dude.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Yanno, there's something to be said about being an "old fart".

Somewhere along the lines of "Youth and enthusiasm will always be beaten by old age and treachery"....

....or something like that. :twisted:
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Ningen wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
You should check the code on your randomizer, dude.
hehe, I am slowly working my way into cyborbanization

chemi

Post by chemi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Heywulf wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm
I also follow the assessment that Kimiko is a "method actress" - one does not just act as a character, one emotionally becomes the character to perform the character. Her acting job is to become Miho - a decoy to distract the MegaTokyo authorities and Miho's horde. So, what would Miho be likely do in this intimate escape situation, after being salvaged & revived by Piro? That becomes Kimiko's role... Miho's Very Interesting Second Date.

Of course we have been also told by good authority (Erica) that KIMIZILLA also exists. What would "method-actress" Kimizilla do in a situation like this? Kimizilla could be an aspiring Dragon, one that makes life-debt down-payments to a rescuing knight very promptly....
I think it's dangerous to assume Kimiko's playing any role but her own at this point.

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 am
I told you people, that was her "I can feel your boner" face in the last strip and now she's going for it
Well, it's not like there's much else to do when a passenger and I have heard it said that some people are turned on by proximity to danger. That said, it might be wiser to wait until the crisis is over before...celebrating. :)

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:20 am

Small Pink Mouse wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 am
Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 am
I told you people, that was her "I can feel your boner" face in the last strip and now she's going for it
Well, it's not like there's much else to do when a passenger and I have heard it said that some people are turned on by proximity to danger. That said, it might be wiser to wait until the crisis is over before...celebrating. :)
Well let's hope he can wait to . . er . . . celebrate. Oh, no, that's Largo, isn't it with the premature celebration issues.
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.