A persistent game universe, anyone?

cidjen

A persistent game universe, anyone?

Post by cidjen » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah so the title pretty much says it all - any one aware of any real (indie even) game studio to try to develop a system like Endgames ?

Back in time then, it would have to be pretty software intensive...

but now, even my 10yo computer can (still) run a MMORPG like WoW or Roblox (!) with near instant 3d graphics. May not be l33t, but hmmm....

Imagine, a game like that, where you let your character actually live, through its stats, soul and story... with questionable choices ... crossover with the storylines of Witcher (III) universe :) where you can choose to steer your character directly, therefore writing its story... or write the story so your character lives with it.

that would be a story in itself, right ?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Sareth

Re: A persistent game universe, anyone?

Post by Sareth » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:33 am

This would probably better fit under the "Video Games" sub-forum, since you're asking if anyone is actually developing this concept. That being said, I haven't heard of anyone attempting it as such. It is, however, a fascinating concept, and I have dabbled with the idea of writing MT fanfic set in Endgames. Thomas Knapp kind of beat me to it. Though Brimm and I did collaborate on a doujinshi featuring Junko and Yuki as characters in Endgames.I can't recall if Brimm ever published it online, or if the little dead tree format we printed was the only way to get it...

Still, even if no one is creating it, that is how I imagine my characters. They are real in their own right, they do have stories that continue when I'm not online. Regardless of whether it is Nguyet (ArchAge), Xandra (Guildwars 2) or the original Sareth (from the small MMORPG Clanlords way back in the '90s), they still live, somewhere. I've even fanficed two of them...

Geeze, I should take a break from RWBY fanfic to write some MT fanfic, but I'm always scared of what I'll do to Fred's characters.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

Hashbrown Potatoes

Post by Hashbrown Potatoes » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Arc is a persistent game universe. When you log off your character passes out where you logged off at and remains loaded in the game. It makes it so you have to be really careful about where you "sleep," especially in PVP servers since other players can still interact with "sleeping" players.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 am

Can't find. Link ?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

chemi

Post by chemi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm

The best analog for the Endgames world would honestly be like an MMO version of the "The Sims."

chemi

Post by chemi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Sareth wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:33 am
It is, however, a fascinating concept, and I have dabbled with the idea of writing MT fanfic set in Endgames. Thomas Knapp kind of beat me to it.
Now I feel guilty.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:23 am

chemi wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm
The best analog for the Endgames world would honestly be like an MMO version of the "The Sims."
I thought more of along the lines of the Witcher III, it's a sandbox with multiple story paths & side quests, NPCs /look like/ they walk free... that world would be ripe for doing the Endgames treatment to it... If you haven't seen it, look for Mr Odd's walkthrough on Youtube... it's a good one (tm)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:19 pm

chemi wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:15 pm
Sareth wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:33 am
It is, however, a fascinating concept, and I have dabbled with the idea of writing MT fanfic set in Endgames. Thomas Knapp kind of beat me to it.
Now I feel guilty.
Yes! Feel the burn! Feel it!

XD
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works