[1498] That Response

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1498] That Response

Post by paarfi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Fred posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

DracMonster

Re: [1498] That Response

Post by DracMonster » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Erika and Ririka are the heroes Yuki needs and the ones she deserves.

But I have a feeling Ririka is about to send a feels train straight to our faces here.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, Yuki really needed that. There's an expectation that magical girls are supposed to be like on TV. Largo had told her that was wrong before [1074], and I'm sure Meimi would make the same point. But Largo is an oddball, and it's easy for teenagers to tune mom out. Hearing it from an ex-magical girl like that is important. Ririka understands; she's been where Yuki is. That matters. Nice to see Erika backing Yuki too.

Wesker888

Post by Wesker888 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 am

Oh wow. When she mentioned that she gave up her powers a couple comics ago, I was gonna assume she gave it up for her family. But this sounds a lot sadder.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Wesker888 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 am
Oh wow. When she mentioned that she gave up her powers a couple comics ago, I was gonna assume she gave it up for her family. But this sounds a lot sadder.
Or to phrase it another way: Something
Very Sad.
Miho isn't strictly an MG, but did she do something similar?

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Has that been re-shaded? It looks much crisper than I remember it.

Hetz

Post by Hetz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

One must give credit to Ririka, it is rather hard to look cute covered in blood and "barfies".

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Destroying Fan based images of what Magical Girls are right there. :lol: Nice going there for Erika, and Ririka. I think Yuki really needed that support.
I think what Ririka has to say is important, in that as an ex-MG, she's been through the works, so she at least has some insight, and experience backing what is said.
For a young, inexperienced, untrained Magical Girl, I think the stories, and tips that are given, help to grow as a MG.

~shadowrider (What? Being a MG isn't all that glory, and hype.)
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 pm

HAH!
Teh Fan Horde be like: "Boooooo! No realism in my MG fandom!! DO NOT WANT!!!"
:lol:
Hello Nurse! Smarter than the average bear... indeed.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 am

So the boy Ririko gave her powers up for was not the Kobayashi's dad? Or did the dad leave them? :?:

Maybe if Yuki carried a pipe like Erika does, the fanboys wouldn't mock her so..... ;)

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 am

Whaha! "Stop. Please do not damage my love of the genre."

That’s it right there. They love a genre, not people.

Way to go Erika (for turning on them after those harsh words) and Ririka for her rather Meimi-like way of talking some self-respect back into Yuki. I hope Yuki will actually pick it up.

Reminded me of https://megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=1299.

Thanks, Fred!

=)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 am

Oh, I just noticed. I guess Largo (in panel 7) is thinking something along the lines of:
"Y3s, go, 60… I wouldn’t wish you back ag4in.”

…although that would either require Largo to have watched Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995 edition) — which I doubt — or the thought to be completely Largo-original. Fine by me.

=D
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 am

I think we have a reason for Ririka's overly cheery baby talk though, she saved the world several times and also saved the boy she loved with the sacrifice of her powers....

So much for the whole, "I just wish I were normal" trope. Fred's turned another one on it's ear

iffy

Post by iffy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Confirms the obvious (although not always true). That it was all those guys saying that about what an MG had to be like. Has to be, but isn't like at all out and about in the real Megatokyo. Even there, they're highly stylized. Plus even after being told and lectured about that directly and plainly, they still don't believe Ririka that this is the MG and was setting off their alarms. Might believe, but won't let themselves admit it or can't consciously conceptualize it. Of course not though, they prefer their love of genre (some might say slavish devotion to trope, their preconception and bias) instead of preferring the reality. The truth doesn't matter, it's how you feel. Quite a reasonably expected behavior going on, given what has been said about how it works.

For what Ririka said, even if they sometimes wish they were normal, didn't have to put up with all that goes along with magicalgirlness, once they've been there and lived it, losing it is a big change. Especially after it goes from being ever-present to lost forever. Sacrifice for one she loved and either lost (negating the sacrifice, once all you can do is remember it all and it's not fresh any longer) or stayed with (and had to deal with another version of fanciful emotional feelings versus what it's actually like). Not even MG are fully immune to this sort of thing. Seems like maybe another thing for those like Miho to handle or absorb perhaps.

Hopefully Yuki is realizing all these things and more. Largo has said it, her mom has said it, Ririka has said it. Miho too ( 944 , but lesson too vague, Yuki too inexperienced. Yes, no positive reinforcement in the events around 1334/1339 either). But here, Yuki sees it, watches Ririka explain and the tough-guys react, experiences the attitude and behavior herself. Could be a good lesson.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Could it be that the boy Ririka loved and sacrificed it all for is... Masamichi?

DracMonster

Post by DracMonster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

maldrul wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:53 pm
Could it be that the boy Ririka loved and sacrificed it all for is... Masamichi?
WHOA you just blew my mind!

Kinda doubt it because I think she'd have a harder time talking about Meimi so casually. But it's a neat idea.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

A simpler explanation would be that the "boy" she is talking about did indeed grow up to be the current Mr. Kobayashi, and that she is saying "boy" here instead of "my husband" to keep the conversation at a level Yuki can relate to more directly (without actually saying something patronizing like "back when I was your age kiddo...").

EDIT:
Hetz wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm
One must give credit to Ririka, it is rather hard to look cute covered in blood and "barfies".
Hard, but not an extremely rare trope either... Elfen Lied would be an unremarkable slasher flick if the main character weren't a cute (essentially victimized) young girl (as opposed to the typical Jason / Freddy Kruger type). Similarly Gunslinger Girl, with the nagging unspoken question of to what extent if any these cute young girls have consented to the various unpleasant things that have been done to them and to the horrific things that they have been "asked" to do. I mean even when they are covered in blood etc., it is hard for me not to still see them as at some level cute girls who never asked to go through any of the things that caused them to end up covered in blood etc.
Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 am
Maybe if Yuki carried a pipe like Erika does, the fanboys wouldn't mock her so..... ;)
I couldn't agree more. :lol: I note with some sadness that Erika's pipe has only a j-bend on the end of it and not a "great big valve", but hey, can't call 'em all. ;) (The reference link in that old post is broken now, so please enjoy some others. Also Wavebird_Ocelot's criticism in that thread was spot-on, and if I were doing it over I'd just say "(this town rarely has slow news days)". But whaddya want from a ten-year-old filk. :P)
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm

For those thinking that Largo is incredibly insightful.....can you seriously imagine Largo watching MG anime?

Largo's advice, though really quite practical, is more informed by Tomb Raider than it is by Sailor Moon
SpoilerShow
Back when Largo was first partnering with Yuki and he didn't understand the full power of an MG there was a discussion in which I advised Fred that Largo would most definitely advise Yuki to get fingerless gloves, high quality eye-pro and a belt that she could use to equip whatever gadgets she might find herself needing....yep, I channeled Largo!

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm
For those thinking that Largo is incredibly insightful.....can you seriously imagine Largo watching MG anime?
The fanboys have watched a ton of MG anime. Does that make them more insightful?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

paarfi wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
The fanboys have watched a ton of MG anime. Does that make them more insightful?
haha nope! but you missed my point

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Invisigoth wrote:

Largo's advice, though really quite practical, is more informed by Tomb Raider than it is by Sailor Moon
SpoilerShow
Back when Largo was first partnering with Yuki and he didn't understand the full power of an MG there was a discussion in which I advised Fred that Largo would most definitely advise Yuki to get fingerless gloves, high quality eye-pro and a belt that she could use to equip whatever gadgets she might find herself needing....yep, I channeled Largo!
Or perhaps 'Splinter Cell'?

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Regardless of whether or not Ririka is telling the truth, that was a hell of a babble job. :D
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am

That reaction and little squeeze in panel seven speaks volumes. Having watched the entirety of the Anime in my youth, I won't spoil it for people. But Ririka's reaction here brought memories of that final episode back, especially her line "I'm so thankful for my life" as she blows out the candles on her birthday cake. I'm not sure what happened in the intervening years between the end of the series and MT (assuming they are one and the same person), but she is probably empathizing with the world of pain and required sacrifices that will be Yuki's burden until she in turn loses her powers.

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Whatever the specific genre, not everyone always loses their powers or the equivalent. And it isn't always bad or sad or enough to drive one mad.

Although to some extent, it does all seem reminiscent of Kimiko & Miho at the CoE ( 1032 - 1035 ) and at the show ( 1070 1071 1078 ). Then also what Kimiko says on air, plus some of the intervening interactions between or involving Miho Largo Piro Erika. And especially the conversation of Erika, Miho and both, at the end ( 1112-1115 )

Patty Acer

Post by Patty Acer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Invisigoth wrote:

Which, in my opinion, is precisely what gives him the edge over the fanboys here...Largo is not blinded by love of the MG genre. His constant living in an FPS filter is actually working to advantage in this particular situation. It doesn't always....but it's not like he notices when it doesn't.

So, anyway, back to hiding in plain sight for our resident MGs...