[1497] More skilled than sparkly

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

darrin

Re: [1497] More skilled than sparkly

Post by darrin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Liminaut wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm
Look at the rainbow curve of dots. There are twelve dots there. There's five bunched up at the far end.
Hmm. I did consider that briefly, but the "lit" dot seemed to me to be the sixth from the bottom, which I couldn't figure out how to reconcile with her 7.3 reading.

Wonder if the MagicalGirlDetector is listed in any of Fluke's online catalogs...
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm
i suspect that 9 is the highest level personally. This is based on my suspicion that the scale tracks on East Asian/Chinese numerology. Why else do you think that there are no 12 tailed fox girls?
Because their ass isn't big enough to fit more than 9????? :lol:
"The Lady" mother of all kitsune has a thousand tails!

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am

maldrul wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm
Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm
Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm
i suspect that 9 is the highest level personally. This is based on my suspicion that the scale tracks on East Asian/Chinese numerology. Why else do you think that there are no 12 tailed fox girls?
Because their ass isn't big enough to fit more than 9????? :lol:
"The Lady" mother of all kitsune has a thousand tails!
We're dealing with reality here...what?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 am

She must have a really big ass.......... :shock:

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:13 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 am
She must have a really big ass.......... :shock:
Probably a pretty big butt as well.

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 pm

If this train of conversation is building up to a "her tails are over 9000!" joke, I am gonna have to sit this one out. :roll: Somebody wake me when 1498 is up.

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm

We can always fully trust those who like them, because they can not lie.

Yet still, the tail attach-points don't take up much space at all, plus multiple tails can be attached to each attach-point. Thus there's no practical limit to how many there can be, depending on very little else. While the weight might seem like it might at some number become excessive, it can't, because, magic.

Indeed the Fluke PMGD-540. It's just a personal model. But I always thought the meter in 1107 being at that number wasn't exactly linked to the scale of lights, which would be showing relative strength (or for the TPCD or stability etc, danger, as evidenced by the smiley to frowney face labels). For whatever numbers on the display would cause the indicator to reach the end of the scale, the multiple circles would mean something like really bad. Each individual indicator on the line would by its relative position indicate how much to worry, with the last being much more visibly recognizable with five lit up as well as being at the highest position. For reasons such as in case said "five point MG" damaged the numerical display, or that it would be less impactful to begin with anyway glancing at it. It's likely (when it's on of course) the sound the alarm makes rises in level and intensity the higher up it goes as well, another bonus to just some numbers or even the lights.

We don't really know what 73 means exactly, but if the light is an indication that would be level 6. We do know how high the digital display goes, but how close it has to get to 999 to reach 'level 8'/'five points' isn't clear. (Since it measures Sparklogens I am assuming it's a whole number, but the concept is the same if that's not 000 but 0.00 or 00.0 or .000)

darrin

Post by darrin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:11 pm

iffy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm
We don't really know what 73 means exactly, but if the light is an indication that would be level 6.
I admit I have never been able to see the decimal point in the MGD readout. But nearly all other posters in the forums always referred to "7.3 sparklogens", and I took Masamichi's description of a "level seven MG" in the next panel as overriding my own inability to see the dot.

(My head canon here is that the readout actually shows decisparklogens, to obviate the need for cluttering the display with a useless decimal point; but that everyone colloquially just knows to refer to the number of sparklogens.) (Yes I know it just says "sparklogens" under the display, not decisparklogens; but that's just referring to the unit itself without the SI prefix. Again, everybody knows so nobody bothers mentioning the trivial details. ;))

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Actually the kitsune who steal tails kill their victims and then rip out the victims entire spine and then magically fuse it into their own spine in order to add tails. That's strictly an MT thing

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 pm

In the larger world of kitsune lore, it is said that a kitsune (male or female) grows another tail for every 100 years of their life. Since the maximum lifespan for kitsune is 1000 years, they almost never get beyond 9 tails. but yes, all the tails protrude from the same point at the end of the spine. by the time they reach 3 tails they have the ability to levitate them so there's no burden of weight to make their behinds build volume to support them. :ugeek:

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 pm

darrin wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:11 pm
I admit I have never been able to see the decimal point in the MGD readout. But nearly all other posters in the forums always referred to "7.3 sparklogens", and I took Masamichi's description of a "level seven MG" in the next panel as overriding my own inability to see the dot.
Unless everyone is a level 1 so the first indicator means level 2, or the lights don't mean anything, or the users ignore the lights and go by the numbers with each 10 (or 1 or whatever) roughly being a level, or they round up, or he misread the display indicator and she's just a 6, or the readout/indicators read low usually.....

I've always thought it was 73, which kinda matches that she'd be level 7 That works for 7.3 etc too though doesn't it. Yet and still, there doesn't seem to be a point showing in the readout, but w/e. Plus as you say
(My head canon here is that the readout actually shows decisparklogens, to obviate the need for cluttering the display with a useless decimal point; but that everyone colloquially just knows to refer to the number of sparklogens.) (Yes I know it just says "sparklogens" under the display, not decisparklogens; but that's just referring to the unit itself without the SI prefix. Again, everybody knows so nobody bothers mentioning the trivial details. ;))
That is entirely possible sure, lots of stuff is just scaled to match something and the little things tossed, the unimportant nuances. Like 73 being actually 7.3 and everyone knows that. The device being a personal one shows the unit and displays it like that with no way to show more resolution. Or something.

Still, can Sparklogens be less than a whole, maybe they're like apples or orangutans. You have some number of them and that's that, one each. Difficult to tell.

What is sort of interesting there is that the meter appears to show only 073 (whatever the scale, whatever the prefix, it fits for 999 as well, a fraction of the possible maxiumum) for somebody like Yuki! What the heck is a 300 like. Or a 999. Or whatever industrial or professional meters might go up to? (If Miho has Sparklogens, perhaps hers are in the thousands. Millions. Infinity.)

Which makes me wonder about Ririka again, and then thinking maybe Meimi has the swipey stealy thing, but not the speed/teleport/yoink sort of stuff, and hence doesn't make the alarms go off. Of course, Meimi could have made them go off all the time and Ririka doesn't know it, or is not admitting it. Or Meimi figured out how to go quickly steal or shut off all the detectors, or even catch the Sparklogens before they hit the detectors, or even just control or mask her output. Also difficult to tell.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Of course, Meimi could have made them go off all the time and Ririka doesn't know it, or is not admitting it.
Meimi's husband leaves his turned off.

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Well yeah but more like Meimi's husband's co-workers and subordinates shut off his alarm. Because Yuki? Or perhaps Meimi instead or also.

But Ririka was commenting perhaps on the far past, when she still had her powers, maybe about even before Meimi got married or started using that name. Or at least we might suppose pre-Yuki. Either way there's this feeling people around Masamichi might have been shutting off his alarm for quite a long time.

Sadly though we don't really know. All we have to go on is what's in story comic, which is sparse, and the rest is nothing but guesswork by and large. Piecing together a narrative with whatever clues might be in story and filling in the spaces with conjecture and the like.

What else is new. It's great isn't it!

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 am

paarfi wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm
BetaCygnus wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:14 pm
Poor Yuki… =(
I’m glad Largo is there — at least he takes her seriously, just the way she is, and he values her for who she is as an ally.
Largo knows.
(relevant comic snippet)
Exactly! =)
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —