[1497] More skilled than sparkly

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

'zilla

Re: [1497] More skilled than sparkly

Post by 'zilla » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 pm

All the talk of her not looking like a MG should is probably stirring up her dark imagining from 1185 too (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1185). Yuki is reasonably sure what people think a MG should look like but I hope she also remembers her mom's lesson from 1036 (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1036) about how silly those ideas are.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Wait, wasn't Erika present at both times that we have seen MG detectors going off?

Just sayin'.

Small Pink Mouse

Post by Small Pink Mouse » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:28 am

Patty Acer wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 pm
The fact that all the fighters feel safe if it's Erika being the magical girl totally cracks me up. The woman is nuclear armament personified. This is starting to look like the male half of the MT population have a collective head injury.
In fairness, I suspect their point is that they trust Erika to have brains and good judgement when it comes to the use of any powers she might have. My impression is that the big concern with Magic Girls is that they're considered loose cannons on deck possibly due to youth and inexperience.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

And Yuki's self image goes shattering into a million little shards...
Considering how unlucky breaking a mirror is, how much bad bad ju ju did these young men just generate for smashing a young MG's self esteem?

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm

There's a whole lot of interesting stuff here, but I think the most interesting is the throwaway line "Moeko's primary one, too!"

I am hypothesizing that:
  • There is a real Moeko, i.e. a Moeko that is a real-life Magical Girl
  • In MT, all fictional MG (and other) shows have a real MG/person/entity behind them
  • The line between real MG's and the fictional avatar is pretty non-existent in the fan's eyes
We know that MIho is a Real Thing that has seen bunches of stories played out on the basis of her story. I'm thinking that a lot of the denizens of MegaTokyo are in the same boat.

I wonder what Yuki's reaction is going to be when she sees the TV show "MagicalGirlYuki.com"?

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 pm

If magical girl detectors are that common, and the girls are that dangerous, wouldn't the TPCD make a more active attempt to locate them? Send young agents to every school randomly, stand in the doorways while the students file in or out with a magical girl detector and photograph and investigate any who set the things off. Or install a detector in the doorway with a remote triggered camera. Drive around the city, or fly drones, in a grid pattern all night, thoroughly investigate any pings. Create a system of annual medical screenings for students where one of the test instruments served double duty as a magical girl detector.

Well of course they would. And have. When Yuki rode the giant zombie zilla and stole it from the TPCD, all the police were commenting on the fact that this was an unidentified catastrophic grade magical girl. Like it was pretty rare for one to escape detection and monitoring. If Yuki remains unidentified it is with the complicity of her father the high ranking police official. Maybe this has extended to her mother over the years, although as she has taken contracts from the TPCD that probably isn't so. Of course that would mean a real outing now might endanger her fathers job, her families income. Maybe she is identified to the TPCD, but not these random heroes.

Another suggestion. And PLEASE don't kill me for this, I do not think it is likely, just possible. Do we know this is the heroes talking about Yuki in the last frame? Maybe Erika picked up on Largo's shushing and Ririka's idea of hiding Yuki in plane sight. Maybe the next comic will show it's Ririka and Erika, (and Largo?), dissing Yuki and discussing why she couldn't be a magical girl. With Yuki shrinking and cowering as they do this it becomes more effective. (The secret to hollywood ugly, is the reaction by other actors to a girls appearance, and her own shrinking demeanor.) Largo understands that a magical girl, just like superheroes like Super Mega Awesome Dude, needs a secret identity. His first gift to Yuki was a pair of wrap around sunglasses to finish her magical kick-assing girl outfit. If Largo realizes it, so must Erika and Ririka. This odd number comic is a turn the pager before you see the next one type. We might be being set-up for the shock of it being Erika and Ririka spewing these comments while framing a sad and pitiful looking Yuki. And Yeah, when the heroes leave, I'm sure they plan lots of hugs and explanations if that's the case.

And finally for the record, I DON'T think the above is very likely, but it's possible.

In other news, maybe the sparkles, short swooshy woot-look-at-all-the-panties skirts, wands, flying tierras, and cutesy talk IS the disguise. No need for wrap around sunglasses or masks. What??!!!, you think boring crybaby Usagi is Magical-Girl-Sailor-Moon ?? Are you nuts?

DS

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

DrunkenSailor wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 pm
In other news, maybe the sparkles, short swooshy woot-look-at-all-the-panties skirts, wands, flying tierras, and cutesy talk IS the disguise. No need for wrap around sunglasses or masks. What??!!!, you think boring crybaby Usagi is Magical-Girl-Sailor-Moon ?? Are you nuts?

DS
But I just saw her cat talk and poop out a magic wand!
Last edited by Roborat on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iffy

Post by iffy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not so sure these guys per se trust Erika as much as they're familiar with her. She's to an extent shown herself as an honorable battle-worthy leader (particularly also not a chaotic unknown unpredictable force). Probably most importantly, looks and acts in a matching way, as well as how they expect her to be. A bit of trust yes, but a bigger part a particular sort of charm spell from the magic that Idols have.

As far as the comments, Ririka has already set off the hide in plain sight. Total doubt appears to have been Ririka's intent and Largo's understanding that he passed along to Erika. IMO that and panel 7 sets up that E&L aren't going to be saying anything. Too, in panel 8, there's apparently five or more, following up on what the three said in panel 6. Anything is possible of course though sure.

Whichever way, Yuki might not be able to handle the situation when all is said and done. Although Largo and Ririka would likely if it came to that be giving her visual or other clues to just act like she was a duck and the commentors were water. Or they might even take a more active role, unless Yuki is supposed to break down crying in an even more unmagicalgirl way to further establish herself as not the reason for all the alarms going off.

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Liminaut wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm
I am hypothesizing that:
  • There is a real Moeko, i.e. a Moeko that is a real-life Magical Girl
  • In MT, all fictional MG (and other) shows have a real MG/person/entity behind them
  • The line between real MG's and the fictional avatar is pretty non-existent in the fan's eyes
Interesting indeed. One could even take out the "all" in point two without weakening the argument, or possibly even strengthening it: if we conjecture that one of the motivations of Stability in doing the above would be dezinformatsiya (giving cover to actual MG activity through distraction / misdirection), then it follows they'd want to throw in a few completely whole-cloth fictional "MG stories" for when something really serious is going down and they want the various fanboy groups distracted by completely false trails.

Liminaut's hypothesis would also go a good ways toward, maybe not explaining, but at least strongly suggesting clues in the direction of, whatever Masamichi was muttering obliquely about back when Erika first encountered Yuki and Miho. Presumably Erika quitting would be a bit of a roadbump for Stability, but not a new one; it stands to reason they'd have a pool of Idols from which they would constantly be drawing ones when needed, just like they keep tabs on the actual MGs to recruit / make use of them when needed or at least possible. But Miho stepping in and "taking over" Erika's fans (before Stability had a chance to swap in one of their own Idols) would mean that instead of Stability pulling the strings and calling the shots on that segment of the fanboy population, it would be the "loose cannon" Miho doing so; unsurprising they'd take a dim view of that, putting her on a shit list she'd be hard pressed to get off of later even if she wanted to. (Bringing us back to the current situation of "Issue termination orders first and ask questions later.")

Another currently loose thread that this idea would allow Fred to pull back in would be Dom, last seen shoehorning himself into Kimiko's life behind her back, after his direct approach to her failed. (EDIT: Well, last except for a little random shit-stirring in Piro's direction in the early 1300's.) It makes sense that an Idol's handler would be useful to a group like Stability in interacting with said Idol; it's a guess, but not a completely crazy one, that the actual MGs (at least any that Stability manages to recruit into its fold) would similarly need handlers to keep them with the program (whatever program Stability had in mind for them). Someone willing and able to handle both the real and the fictional ones, and oily and devious enough to worm himself into such a position? A rather scary possibility if you ask me.
I wonder what Yuki's reaction is going to be when she sees the TV show "MagicalGirlYuki.com"?
It will be nothing to her reaction shortly after that to discovering that the title role is being played by Asako. :lol:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I think having Asako play her would be a great idea; it would be easier for Yuki to hide, then.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 am

Oh, and Largo can't be saying anything about Yuki in the last frame. All the comments are in Japanese.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 am

Fred has the t-shirt design for Youmacon done now. He should be starting on the next comic soon. You can watch him draw it live on his Twitch channel.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I think Yuki gets a bit of a backstory on MGs, from Ririka, and apparently Ririka is trying to expose Yuki's powers. She probably needs to learn to contain her MG powers, so not to set off the sparklemeters,
Ouch, on the fanboys being rude, and clearly biased on what MGs should be like.
I think this is where Largo steps in for Yuki. Since he seems to have a better understanding on Yuki and her MG powers. Thus, him intervening. :geek:
On Ririka saying about Erika's posing as Moeko's VA, it's a matter if she's referring to the VA role, or if she was referring to knowing the actual Moeko. :ninja:

~shadowrider (I suppose there is a status quo for MGs out there.)
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm

At this time Largo is some stoned dude in a wheelchair who doesn't speak Japanese. I'm not sure that he's going to pull anything out of the fire.

On top of that, having Largo's antics be the constant source of Deus Ex Machina saves is approaching the point of being cheap and lazy. Sure the Largo fans love to shout HUZZAH! and throw their hats in the air but it's a gag that's already stale

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm
At this time Largo is some stoned dude in a wheelchair who doesn't speak Japanese. I'm not sure that he's going to pull anything out of the fire.

On top of that, having Largo's antics be the constant source of Deus Ex Machina saves is approaching the point of being cheap and lazy. Sure the Largo fans love to shout HUZZAH! and throw their hats in the air but it's a gag that's already stale
That may be true, though even though Largo may not understand Japanese, or be able to physically do anything legitimate, he might still have something to throw into the fire. Strategically, he understands somewhat what the commotion between the MGs, and the Fanboys are as a faction.
Also, it may be possible that some of the side effects from the meds. have worn off somewhat.(Not counting on it though.) Either way his methods do have a questionable mien.

~shadowrider
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

infidel

Post by infidel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I so want these "fanboys" to die right now, like really painfully. :x Please tell me we can soon add "Scanners-style remote-head-exploding" to Yuki's list of potential powers being bandied about last thread.

My impression is that it is not the fanboys speaking last panel. That is all Erika reacting rapid-fire to Largo's intent. She knows exactly what to say to totally throw them off Yuki's trail. Although it probably will still hurt to hear.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Why does anyone think that there's any reason to throw anyone off of Yuki's trail?

Has one of the assembled mercenaries and private security contractors, none of whom are fanboys, pulled out a device to declare that Yuki is the daughter of chief inspector Sonoda Masasmichi? If so I've not noticed it.

I'd much prefer that Yuki demonstrate to the assembly exactly why high powered MG's are freaking scary. Preferably by stealing all of their pants or something equally hilarious but disturbing

Patty Acer

Post by Patty Acer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:36 pm
Why does anyone think that there's any reason to throw anyone off of Yuki's trail?

Because the forces of 'order' in Megatokyo have repeatedly demonstrated their willingness to throw massive fire- and man- power into their frantic efforts to contain all known magical girls, and Yuki's power is supposedly off the charts. If she's exposed as one, it's not just a hospital that's going to be blown to smithereens. And the goal right now isn't to blow MT up; it's to provide cover for Piro and Kimiko to get away clean while they (P&K) provide cover for Miho to get away clean. Even largo can stay that mission-focussed for a short time.

iffy

Post by iffy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm

The hint from Largo is shhh, why would Erika start pretending to be multiple people commenting on Yuki. And in the same way the Otaku and Ed/Dom/Ibara and others have often been seen and heard to chat about on line or in person about Kimiko or Miho or Erika.

Why would Yuki be looking like she's hearing a bunch of brusque at-least-semi-misogynistic pretty-clearly-egotistical strangers, rather than like Erika has lost her mind, if it wasn't them and was her.

As a powerful MG at one point, who would likely know the use or need for anonymity (plus cat smile) it seems more likely Ririka would be trying to distract and hide in plain sight rather than outing. 'Here's the alarming MG, that doesn't have anything MGish about her, silly boys.' With predictable reactions about the mismatch.

Those who didn't get what they expected have not been too happy about it, which would negatively impact their desire to fool themselves. There have been a lot of conversations about those sorts of things in Megatokyo.

Didn't notice it before but these guys asked Erika what if there is some other MG here to challenge her and mentioned Erika hadn't been setting off the alarms earlier. So we start out with some info that they all seem to believe this is an MG or even really Moeko. But they're still rational enough someplace to be aware she's only playing a role? If their comments to Yuki are any indication. It could just be that only Idols playing MG look like that, in which case (unless they suddenly become very perceptive) they won't ever believe Yuki actually is one, especially with somebody else pointing it out in a childish manner.

Whatever else, it wouldn't seem a good idea to have all those guys aware that Yuki is a super powerful MG. Whether they know who she is or not. It also doesn't seem to make much sense in this situation for Ririka actually trying to out Yuki or for Erika to be playacting snide denigrating comments.

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Looking a the sparklogen detector (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1107) it looks like Yuki is kind of medium-grade, 7.3 on a scale that goes to 12.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 am

Liminaut wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 pm
Looking a the sparklogen detector (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1107) it looks like Yuki is kind of medium-grade, 7.3 on a scale that goes to 12.
It's a logarithmic scale. ;)

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am

Sorry, where does 12 being the max come from?

Not trying to challenge anything here, I honestly can't see from the drawing. (My eyes aren't what they used to be, and were never anything much to begin with... :()
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

darrin wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am
Sorry, where does 12 being the max come from?

Not trying to challenge anything here, I honestly can't see from the drawing. (My eyes aren't what they used to be, and were never anything much to begin with... :()
Look at the rainbow curve of dots. There are twelve dots there. There's five bunched up at the far end.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm

i suspect that 9 is the highest level personally. This is based on my suspicion that the scale tracks on East Asian/Chinese numerology. Why else do you think that there are no 12 tailed fox girls?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm
i suspect that 9 is the highest level personally. This is based on my suspicion that the scale tracks on East Asian/Chinese numerology. Why else do you think that there are no 12 tailed fox girls?
Because their ass isn't big enough to fit more than 9????? :lol: