[1600] flowing right through each other

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1600] flowing right through each other

Post by paarfi » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm

Fred posted the new comic to his Patreon. He'll post it to the main site and elsewhere probably tomorrow.

Fred also said:
Ok, this was a FUBAR of the biggest order, getting this comic done. It's done finally. Half way into the first month of the new year.

First off, i'm hoping to not repeat the way September-December went. My schedule at work was a disaster, and one that was a huge obstacle that got in the way of making comics. That's the trouble with bidding on runs for the semester, whatever you end up with you have to do for the entire semester. For this fall, it was not conducive to making comics. I learned from that and have a much more amenable run for this Jan-May stretch. Better daytime stretch of work time, and yes it helped me get this very comic done, finally.

That said, the other problem was... this comic itself. I swear i spent three weeks doing that first frame. Yes, it's complicated, but i kept reworking it over and over again, and when i finally got it done, i still had the rest of the damn comic to draw :) Thankfully, the rest of the drawings came together pretty smoothly, though the last frame took some reworking to finally get what i wanted. I'm particularly proud of Megumi's look in frame 2. Someone has had just about enough there. :)

Then finally, frigging dialogue took me four days to work around. This is not unusual, especially when i'm trying to get across both subtle and non-subtle things. You have a large number of characters interacting like this, with two languages and multiple world views, yeah, it's like trying to set up houses of cards with cats jumping around on your table.

Then there was the disaster with Adobe sneaking in a sudden update to Illustrator and Photoshop on my age-old Mac computer here, which resulted in Illustrator no longer working at all on my hard to upgrade mac trash can. THankfully, Photoshop WILL still load, so for the first time in 22 years i had to assemble a Megatokyo comic entirely in Photoshop, which is not idea for playing with dialogue. Looks ok tho, and so i think i get by with this before i am forced to upgrade this computer, which i'm not ready to do yet.

Anyways, last year was a ... well, not the best performance from me for you guys. That needs to change, and it's one of my primary focuses for the next few months. After all, this is a seasonal job i am doing right now and i will have almost four months off this summer to do Megatokyo, and i don't want to be trying to breath life into the dessicated remains of a comic when there is so much that needs to be covered this chapter.

Thanks again for your support, i will start getting production drawings uploaded again and do what i can to kick the dust off some things here that really should never have slowed down.

Oh, and comic 1600. woot. :)
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Invisigoth

Re: [1600] flowing right through each other

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 pm

The only one that mattered was the tail that Piro touched....

Also, Erika in Megumi cosplay for Largo's...umm...yeah...that should be a thing

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:59 am

Poor Megumi. This has to be a bit humiliating. Only Piro seems to see that so far.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Llynarian3

Post by Llynarian3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 am

I am wondering if having people touching her tails drains away her connection to humanity and leaves her powerful kitsune nature in a more dangerous state. I wonder if Piro had joined the kitsune-groping what she would have done. By treating her with more respect than her family and close friends, he is allowing her to decide whether or not to cause a cataclysm.
BTW, Mr. Gallagher, if driving the bus is still hurting your shoulder and arm, it's a workman's comp situation, and physical therapy can help. I broke my shoulder badly six months ago, and while I am not back to normal range of motion, at least I am not lying awake with pain anymore. What you are doing can cause repetitive stress injuries to the nerves going down into your arm and hands as well as muscle and joint damage. Please take care of yourself!

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 am

And we are playing grab that tail...
Not sure what that look is on Megumi's face and in her eyes particularly.
It is not panic like before.
It is not aggression.
It might be sadness but not so sure.
Pleading? Hmm maybe.
Too much emotion for resignation.
Happy, angry, and indifference can be ruled out I think.
What unexpected emotion/feeling could having 8 of 9 tail tips being held cause?
Will all 9 tail tips being held at once cause something cosmic to happen?
It looks like Largo and Moerika are only holding 1 tail and Grams is doing the counting and directing with a pair tails in hand.

Mamma Peach

Post by Mamma Peach » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

It looks like she's about to cry... She reminds me of a good dog that has been beaten looking up at it's people wondering why, what did it do to deserve this humiliation.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:11 pm

Mamma Peach wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm
It looks like she's about to cry... She reminds me of a good dog that has been beaten looking up at it's people wondering why, what did it do to deserve this humiliation.
That is depressing. I hope you are wrong, but you may be right.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:18 pm

Mamma Peach wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm
You ever see one of those rescue video's where the terrified puppy suddenly realizes that the one person is good and won't hurt them and the instantly bond and lay their head on that persons lap?

That's what is about to happen with Megumi and Piro (though maybe not literally, though I'd love if if she did)

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm

Ugh Largo got cajoled into harassing Gumi, and did not see it coming.

Why would you NEED to catch ALL the tails just for counting... oh, GG, well played... kudos to the Artist :)

(that cartoon wasn't of my age bracket when it came out but reference seems tight enough and is not lost... if that's what it is.)

Thank you Fred, for the new page, it's fantastic :)
SpoilerShow
(and reading about Fred's Mac problems, hmmm... at least, with PCMR most of the time you can upgrade almost from anything to almost anything, with standard components. Yes it has its own problems and becomes impossible sometimes and They are after us to close us in, but at least it isn't a blatant raid of your pocket ALL of the time, as with the Apple's and their accomplices' 'walled garden' being portrayed as something 'normal and a fact of life you can't just have any software you want where you want, only what we let you.')
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Sky_Paladin

Post by Sky_Paladin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:46 pm

Congrats on 1600, Fred. It's quite the milestone :)

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:56 pm

My guess, it's a form of intimacy. It's one thing if it's other girls handling them, embarrassing and awkward, yes, but not really the same. Largo views her as unexploded ordinance, which is also different.

Piro, on the other hand, knows her as a girl, and is probably very much aware of how enjoyable it would be to pet the tails, and I also expect for a kitsune with the right guy, they too would very much enjoy having their tails rubbed the right way. However, in this context, it is a forced and deeply uncomfortable intimacy.

I think he's probably the one that would be most true for, as well as the only one who realizes that.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:05 am

It could be that grandma maybe wants to make Gumi awaken to understand her powers... In which case Piro may be doing her a disservice.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 pm

Poor Megumi. One time she's wearing yesterday's panties and look what happens.

She did change after the car chase before going out though. https://megatokyo.com/strip/1503

Sky_Paladin

Post by Sky_Paladin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:55 pm

Holy potatoes, that was nearly a hundred updates and five years ago!?

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm

Sky_Paladin wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:55 pm
Holy potatoes, that was nearly a hundred updates and five years ago!?
Four years and one month (exactly). But who's counting. ;)

mistersaxon

Post by mistersaxon » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:16 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 pm
The only one that mattered was the tail that Piro touched....

Also, Erika in Megumi cosplay for Largo's...umm...yeah...that should be a thing
"You stroke my tail, I'll stroke yours..."

Which, incidentally gives us a parallel for the discomfort Megumin may be feeling, like having a medical exam but the doctor is a personal acquaintance....
Yea, verily: Who is that, running on the steppes! It is Sax, clutching buzzsaw hand extensions! He howls homicidally:
"I'm seriously going to pound you into the fast lane!!!"

Oh, yeah, I wrote Ping some backstory once.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:18 pm

Oof. Poor girl. She looks so, so violated. And trapped. How kind of Piro to offer her that bit of agency.

Love the comic!

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:35 pm

Ok, so now,

Will Piro take Gumi's tail and part take in this staged awakening (or sealing) ritual?

(That grandma, took her a while to organise this many real players' characters to perform this. Like an S-class raid, this is)

Or will Piro not proceed but procrastinate and Kimi will get mad and try to play him with his 'job' card?

Or will this cause a rift between Kimi and Gumi, also leaving Piro kinda not in Kimi's camp any more, and Gumi will jump at the opportunity?

So many questions and so little space :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Lingman

Post by Lingman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am

So, the Yuriban encyclopedia entry on Kitsune is concerning.

"Kitsune tend to be very protective of their tails, and touching the tail of a Fox-Spirit without permission has lead more than one unsuspecting victim to an unwanted transformation (usually into something the Kitsune might like to eat)."

I do like that Piro is smart enough NOT to grope her.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Lingman wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am

"Kitsune tend to be very protective of their tails, and touching the tail of a Fox-Spirit without permission has lead more than one unsuspecting victim to an unwanted transformation (usually into something the Kitsune might like to eat)."
Don't touch the tail, man! Unless you want to be a field mouse. :ninja:

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 pm

maldrul wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm
Lingman wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am

Don't touch the tail, man! Unless you want to be a field mouse. :ninja:
Don't touch the tail without permission. I do notice he is actually asking first.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 am

Well obviously Grandma knows what to do, though is it to replace the seal on her power or something else. Though I sense Great Grandma's hand in this. I think that she knows plenty about the subject of Megumi being a 9 tail. Now will Piro willingly join in, or will someone have to prod him with a pitchfork?
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 pm

Ah, yes, that moment of awkwardness where Piro has to do something that literally screams "NO!!!", even if it was of some benefit.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:53 am

Did no-one notice Erika's offer? Would that be cosmetic or full-power?

Also: words from Fred. Yay!
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:25 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:53 am
Did no-one notice Erika's offer? Would that be cosmetic or full-power?

Also: words from Fred. Yay!
That'd be a plug in version......