[1496] Outed

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1496] Outed

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm

The majority of the fighters were mercenaries ... ermm.. uh.. Private Military Contractors...brought in on a short term contract to assist in fixing Miho in place so that she could be...finished.

Sparklometers are an essential piece of kit for working security in MegaTokyo. Fluke makes the best one, The Sparklo-Safe X3 I believe...

kendermouse

Post by kendermouse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 am

I don't care if there was an error in it, that background bit between Erika and Largo made me fall over, I was laughing so hard.

(And after being stuck in bed with the plaaaague for over a week, I needed a good chuckle.)

DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 am

I think when she says she sacrificed all her powers to save "my..", that she's talking about "mystery girl.." or "my friend Miemi", and not her husband or boyfriend. For two reasons.

One. Fred bolded the world "my". Why would you bold the word MYin a sentence refering to a husband unless there were more than one husband to be considered? When Fred wrote that he knew the whole sentence Ririka was going to complete. My powers would usually indicate her powers vs some one else in the sentence who also had powers. Probably her friend Miemi.

Two. Right as she is about to mention Miemi's name (or just "my friend another magical girl"), she stops talking, her one good eye goes big, and she looks at Yuki. Miemi and Masamichi were shown earlier to have discussed the possibility that Yuki might become a magical girl so we know it can be inherited and that that is a known fact in MT, Yuki is Miemi's daughter, and Magical Girl Detectors are going off. The timing of that realization and Ririka being about to refer to who she sacrificed her powers to save.. makes my bet it's Miemi.

Actually maybe Miemi and Ririka were/are friends who have no idea that they were also the Mystery Thief Saint-Tail and Nurse Angel magical girls, who might have abetted one another's magical adventures in the MT universe a decade and half ago. Cue awesome reminisces coming when they next meet.

That would mean that Yuki also doesn't know that Ririka was a magical girl. Though if she was paying attention at all a second ago, she does now.

DS

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Cute blue car running over her son... Right... :D

Poor Yuki looks so bashful.

Still, Magical Girls must be something to make hardened mercenaries run away like screaming little kids.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Initial B wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Still, Magical Girls must be something to make hardened mercenaries run away like screaming little kids.
That's because Magical Girls take away their toys and break them.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Whaha! I love this one, Fred!

THANK YOU!!! 8D
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

shadowrider wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm
iffy wrote:< maybe the translation brackets mean they were conversing in very high level elite speech >
Or maybe Largo actually learned a few sentences in Japanese? Key terms maybe? :ninja:
There's never been any indication Largo has learned more than zero point zero Japanese ever at all though. ( regardless of how well he responded that one time to the sound and pacing of Kimiko ) He had to ask Piro about Ping's translation software, have Piro explain other things, get feedback from Junko, etc, and has even remarked upon it as the beastly language of the undead. Why would he need to learn any with such as Piro, Erika, Miho and Junpei around might be one question. The other is hey, if he can't understand it, why would he need to know it. Mostly. Seems more his style.

But no, that was just a short answer and an example of what else it could be if it was not the error it seemed it was. Although sure mostly it appeared only a transcription error that the translation markers were there. Not much fun to guess at or discuss that though. ;)
Sackett wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 pm
I think it's more that you never know which side the magical girl is going to come down on. I mean... Yuki as a defender of love could have decided to support Kimiko's more gentle loving relationship with Piro instead of Miho and Piro's cycle of hurting each other. But instead Yuki seems to be in the "true love" camp and so gives preference to Miho due to her precedence and the passion surrounding her and Piro's relationship.
The tricky thing there is that Yuki, for all her insight and empathy and enthusiasm, is not very experienced at all plus could be quite very wrong in how she has parsed just about everything.

But that is certainly quite chaotic either way in what she thinks and how she implements it.
Ningen wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm
"Nyorohoho", anyone...?
Don't be fooled, she thinks it's funny.
Patty Acer wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm
So if EVERYONE in the battle (except for Erika and Largo) had Magical Girl proximity alarms, does that mean they were all MTPCD? Including the factions that were supposedly just Miho fans?
Anyone who might be trying to restore order, no matter how sidetracked they've become from their original goal, should know when there's something potentially extra bad around? Hence, something that alarms, be that to something very very chaotic like MG or some kind of multipurpose device like what warned Ed that he was facing capability immune to anything he could come up with, and whatever else there might be on these guys to warn them of this and that. Like Largo said, the forces of order are quite concerned about what they can't control, and MG seem to fit that bill perfectly, if not the only thing their systems might alarm to now or in other situations.
jkhartl wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm
Did the hoard show up today as they did at the school?
Something vague and morphic is around, that's what Largo and Erika seem to have been dealing with in their fight. Rocket launchers and fan help and more... Whatever they are, they're there. Just not quite as in force or determined or consolidated as when things were certainly quite off very much.

Also it looks like just about everyone {good, lawful, evil, chaos, neutral} got caught up in a situation that wasn't the one they started out in, for reasons they're maybe not sure of any longer. Once the fighting started, it grew its own reasons for existing. I'm guessing.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm
Patty Acer wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm
[...] does that mean they were all MTPCD? Including the factions that were supposedly just Miho fans?
Did the hoard show up today as they did at the school? It seems like it was just the MTPCD. The hoard had loss tract of Miho they may not have had time to respond to her presence.
Had to go back to the beginning of the chapter and step through slowly to remind myself why I thought the fanboy horde was here.

Starting in 1455, Miho and Kimiko both start referring to "they" (with no explicit referent) needing to see Miho die, or needing to feel sad, etc. It's not made explicitly clear how Miho knows they are present, or how Kimiko knows what the heck Miho is talking about; my guess is the intended implication is that Kimiko is extrapolating from her conversations with Miho the previous day, and that Miho can "sense" the presence of "them".

In 1465 Largo tells Piro "We got company." The drawing shows little more than vague heads and torsos. It's at least a plausible guess though that this probably isn't a group of Stability or TPCD folk; they already encountered those a few strips back (the ones who "didn't need any more half naked women") and got past those thanks to Erika. Largo in the next panel calls them "t3h hord3" which supports this.

In 1466 Megumi encounters someone who the first time through I just assumed was a fanboy based on his speech ("She's dead!"), and him being in cosplay didn't seem surprising given that. But now I am less sure, since the Stability / TPCD folks are also wearing considerably odder "uniforms" than have been previously seen (again, the guys Erika, Largo and Piro first encountered, who certainly talked like they considered themselves acting in some official capacity). So I admit to a lot of confusion as to who are Stability/TPCD and who are "horde" if going _only_ by costume; I am pretty much guessing based on how given ones talk / act. Case in point, 1468: are they horde members trying to stop someone carrying off their precious Miho, or Stability/TPCD trying to close a perimeter? "Where are you going?" would be plausible for either, and the drawing is too tiny for me to be sure whether these are cosplaying fanboys, or oddly uniformed Stability, or even just regularly uniformed TPCD.

In 1475, Piro refers to the crowd they've been dodging as "fanboys" (EDIT: sorry, misspoke, he actually calls them"fans" not fanboys). Assuming he and Largo are both right (admittedly a rather dangerous assumption :D), that's a fanboy horde, as distinct from Stability / TPCD despite the wacky costumes they seem to have in common today. :P The costumed guys in that strip seem to be _talking_ a lot more like fanboys; I would expect TPCD to take a more active role in finding out just what Piro is doing and whether he needs to be stopped. But I'm not 100% on that, more like 80-90%.

In 1476 Megumi grumbles about "creepy-ass fans". I expect her as a MegaTokyo native to be much more capable of distinguishing official personnel from a bunch of fanboys than Largo or Piro, so I consider that to increase the plausibility of that guess from what it was in previous strips. (Of course someone is likely to come along and say that she has been, till now at least, more of a "Piro-perspective" character than a "Largo-perspective" one, and thus might indeed mistake weirdly dressed TPCD as cosplaying fanboys. So still hard to squeeze 100% out of it.) Next few strips have TPCD grunts in clearly labeled uniforms, no help either way on this issue.

In 1492, we get another unhelpful "they", this time from Yuki. And then a "them" from Ririka in 1495. ("Pronoun trouble," as Daffy Duck famously said.) It's a plausible guess that Yuki is referring to the fanboys pulling down the hospital, and Ririka is referring to Stability trying to take out Miho; I've actually been leaning more toward thinking that it's the Stability / TPCD ordinance geared to the latter that was bringing down the hospital, and not the fanboy horde this time, but I've got no real evidence to support one position over the other.

So, being honest, I wouldn't exactly call it irrefutable, but there seems to be a fair amount of (indirect?) evidence based on what the main characters are saying, and the minor characters (the various costumed or oddly uniformed folk) are doing, that there are two factions present, the Stability / TPCD goons and the fanboy horde.
Last edited by darrin on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

'zilla

Post by 'zilla » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am
. . . So every time Yutaka got hurt, it was by a little blue car? :roll: I think it's "time for a little chat" time with Yuki; I believe Ririko will go easy on her, this time..... :D . . .
In 1027 (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1027) Yutaka had told his mom he was hit by a "big, dark blue sedan" after Yuki fell on him. Ririko is being coy, letting Yuki know she knows now how he was really hurt.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 pm

'zilla wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm

In 1027 (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1027) Yutaka had told his mom he was hit by a "big, dark blue sedan" after Yuki fell on him. Ririko is being coy, letting Yuki know she knows now how he was really hurt.
I saw that strip, too. Ririko slipped back into "baby talk mode" when addressing Yuki at the end, too, so she's not really pissed at her, IMO.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

iffy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm
Ningen wrote:
"Nyorohoho", anyone...?
Colour me stupid, but that was a simple translation request. I have no idea what it means.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Interesting. Just watched the last ep of Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, which seems to explain the power sacrificing and such. It's up on youtube if you want to watch it.

Also, Fred has started on the next comic. You can watch him draw it live on Twitch.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Heywulf

Post by Heywulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:12 pm

In strip [1495] Yuki had appeared in the battle area and offered to rescue Nurse Ririko, and Nurse rightfully sternly reprimanded teen Yuki for putting herself in such a dangerous location. Then the alarms start going-off.
Now here in panel 2 of [1496], Nurse Ririko bluntly reveals to the scared mercenaries that she herself could not now be the cause of the alarms. In panel 3, experienced super-nurse Ririko, stops and assesses the medical situation here, including all the vectors and the times it has taken for symptoms to appear. In panel 4, the source of the outbreak is recognized (note Yuki's posture, drawing back from that stare).
In panel 5, Yuki is bowing to Ririko. And is embarrassed. Yuki has just non-verbally admitted to Ririko that she is the cause of the alarms. She is taking responsibility for being a Magical Girl, admitting to having all the included powers and turmoil. Apologetically bowing to her boyfriend's mother.
In panel 6, one might assume than experienced Nurse Ririko is playing out all the network of implications (and possible futures) in her head. Yuki is back upright, and Yuki assumes she is in Big Trouble.
In panel 7, Nurse Ririko is bowing back to Yuki. (Nurse Mother-Tigger has found herself a lost kitten. "Nyorohoho!") Yuki is flinching and trying to bow her head at the same time. ("Yutaka's Mrs. Nurse-Mom has guessed EVERYTHING!")
I don't thing Yuki should worry too much. As I recall, it seems like Ririko only shares the 'baby-talk' with the children in her family.... And now she may have a girl-kitten she can mentor. Yuki (taking responsibility for the Magical Girl that she is) might have been the best thing she could do to favorably impress Mother Ririko.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Yuki grew up in a cops family, there's no indication that she was unaware of her mothers past.
She knows what MG's are and what they can do so getting noticed like that in front of her young suitors mother just as she was preparing to yoink Ririka away was disturbing to say the least

'zilla

Post by 'zilla » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 pm
'zilla wrote:

I saw that strip, too. Ririko slipped back into "baby talk mode" when addressing Yuki at the end, too, so she's not really pissed at her, IMO.
Actually she didn't. Ririka left at the end of 1027. The nurse in the following couple of comics was Yuki's mom, Meimi. Ririka doesn't crop up again until about 1415 (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1415) when she talks to Yutaka (since they're the only two people in the room) about how she had a "soooo~ awful-waffle" day. But she hasn't spoken to Yuki again until this strip.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 am

HAH! Bet the Yukster cannot run fast enough to escape the prying gaze and questions of nurse MILF!!

Largo wanting to chase them reminds me of crazy Han Solo chasing a group of routed Stormtroopers thru the Death Star till they got reinforced by an even larger patrol. Seems like a bad call to me Ripley...

JaAchan

Post by JaAchan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:06 am

Ningen wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm
iffy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm
Ningen wrote:
"Nyorohoho", anyone...?
Colour me stupid, but that was a simple translation request. I have no idea what it means.
It's a laugh. Using nyo supposedly makes it sound a bit cat-like (which also explains the mouth drawn like that).

iffy

Post by iffy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Here I don't believe Yuki thinks herself responsible for any of what's going on and I don't think Ririka does either. On the other hand, being outed as an MG, and one that has been adventuring with Yutaka! That's another story with much hilarity attached, and much to be bowing over and embarrassed about.

@darrin
Good overview and more, and also I think a nice illustration of how we and those in MT aren't quite sure of who is who all the time. That it often depends on who you are as to what you're seeing but that even then it's not always certain.

After all, there are variously many groups, sometimes with overlap; a horde of some sort, The Horde, otaku, those "heroes" on the side of stabilty (such as whoever first attempted to stop Miho and then barred anyone from going into where Miho/Junpei were fighting), TCPD officers (such as those who tried to stop Megumi), TPCD mechas/robots, main character participants, and audiences. The main character participants are a varied lot; MG, Analogues, Idols, Ninja, more. There are multiple audiences, some of whom make up hordes; those viewers/listeners/readers/players who are emotionally primed for getting acceptable endings to the stories to the point were they don't care about much else but that.

If we take one group at some point in time in a situation, a large part of 'what that looks like' is determined by who, is looking at what, when. What the TPCD officers see with Megumi isn't what Komugiko, or we, or what Erika&Largo are fighting, see or would see. What we saw following/calling/chasing/watching Piro et al appears a number of groups. Yet might have only been one group, if we could have seen it clearly the entire time. Or seen it only from one viewpoint or perspective. It certainly at times looked to be one of heroes, horde-something, TPCD, otaku. Maybe though they are all much the same thing, when it comes to those who want to know where this powerful alien is taking the defeated tragic girl.

Perhaps too then, whatever E&L are fighting isn't quite what we see. Not that we see much at all. Maybe then they are fighting everything that is then going to get medical attention, due to whatever E&L are doing to them. Who is fighting? When the alarms go off, these whatever they are start running away and leaving. And things calm down, the fighting has stopped; they got tired of playing, sort of. That rather fits into my idea that the situation was feeding on itself into a new story of its own. Which apparently now Yuki has showed up and diffused it, whatever it was and whoever was doing it. Unless what it looks like it might be isn't at all what it is -- it's never too early to start distrusting whatever it looks like might be going on, until it's solidified that it is. But also never too early to start guessing about it. : )

@Ningen
Ah ha, oh ho, tee hee. I didn't explain that answer well at all. Yeah, translated back idiomatically in the same joking kind of manner she did. 'Don't worry about it. I'm not taking it too seriously. I get the joke and think it's funny too. Meow. '

@1027
Ririka: <Don't worry, dear, he's going to be just fine.>
Ririka: <Wake up, Yutaka. You have a visitor.>
Yutaka: <Uehh... vis...itor?>
Yuki: <Oh! No, please, you don't have to-->
Yutaka: <S- SONODA-SAN!!>
Yutaka: Urah... eghhhr.... aghr...
Ririka: <With a concussion, three broken ribs and a broken arm, you should know better than to do that, dear.>
Ririka: <My poor baby. Isn't it awful what that mean old car did to you?>
Yutaka: <M... Mo~m!>
Yuki: <C... car?>
Ririka: <He says it was a big, dark blue sedan. Hopefully the police will find and arrest the driver.>
Ririka: <I should do my rounds. Thank you for looking out for my boy, Sonoda-san!>
Yuki: <Uhn.>
Yuki: <So... you got hit by a car? M...makes sense, you were just lying there in the str-->
Yutaka: <I'm sorry, Sonoda-san!!>

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 pm

'zilla wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm
Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
'zilla wrote:

Actually she didn't. Ririka left at the end of 1027. The nurse in the following couple of comics was Yuki's mom, Meimi. Ririka doesn't crop up again until about 1415 (https://megatokyo.com/strip/1415) when she talks to Yutaka (since they're the only two people in the room) about how she had a "soooo~ awful-waffle" day. But she hasn't spoken to Yuki again until this strip.
Reading further along it becomes clear that Yuki did not know about her mother's magical girl antics. In fact she didn't even really believe that there were real magical girls.

Maybe her father was careful never to mention magical girls as real despite discussing other "monsters" he had to deal with?

Or maybe Yuki was so deep in the "dutiful schoolgirl" vision (similar to Piro vision) that she literally just ignored anything her father or mother said that might have implied magical girls?

But how do we reconcile that with her admitted habit of shoplifting - which it seems she was aware of her mother being involved in as well?

Maybe Yuki just thought she was naturally fast and never realized just how abnormally magically fast she was compared to other shoplifters? I mean... who would she have compared herself too anyway for her normal baseline? Her mother?

WarGiver

Post by WarGiver » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm

When Yuki took Zom Zom home initially her father told her mother that they didn't want that (implied a Magical girl life) for her. I suspect that Yuki either knew, suspected, or was told afterwards. The fact that her mother happened to have a friend who is a magical girl and Yuki's powers just turned on kinda makes it stand out.

I think Yuki actually barely registered before encountering Miho then she jumped up several points since it was also shown she had the same slippery fingers her mother does. (She complained how hard it was to 'acquire' replacement games and such after Zom Zom ate them.

Her mother also mentioned that she always had to use a rope to sneak out, and Yuki doesn't. So this could play into the idea that Yuki honestly didn't know her own powers and if she was around others who work with her father then her power level would have flagged her sooner. Regardless of anything her father could do, that level of reveal to him was definitely over the top.

If her father's MG detector was always going off then Yuki probably had a hint there.

To further prove that Yuki got a power boast somehow, then her father would have slipped eventually and left it on going home. It obviously didn't detect a 7.3 so if Yuki was power active then her power must have been close enough to her mother's that he would not notice.

If you question how she would not know what that beeping thing is, think really hard about how hard it is to keep kids out of things normally, now add magical thief to the equation.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm

The jig's up, Yuki. You're screwed for sure.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 pm

'zilla wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm
Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
'zilla wrote:

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the end of the current strip, not 1027. She says"widdle bwue car".

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

WarGiver wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm
If her father's MG detector was always going off then Yuki probably had a hint there.

{1107} Panel 9:
Masamichi:
<Why the hell is the alarm turned off on this thing???>
Masamichi:
<All units! That's an unidentified level seven MG!! Get the MG emergency response team here now!!>
underling:
<Because yours is always going off, sir?>
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Sackett wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 pm
Or maybe Yuki was so deep in the "dutiful schoolgirl" vision (similar to Piro vision) that she literally just ignored anything her father or mother said that might have implied magical girls?

But how do we reconcile that with her admitted habit of shoplifting - which it seems she was aware of her mother being involved in as well?
Under the (not universally held) theory that Yuki steals stuff just by "wanting" it to be stolen, at which point it ends up wherever she wants it to ("teleports"), then my own feeling on this has been that she wasn't intentionally shoplifting at all, but merely noticing sometime after leaving the store that there were items in her bag that shouldn't have been. Imagine if merely thinking "oh hey, that's cool, I'd like to have that" while window shopping would cause the item to immediately be in your pocket or bag or whatever.

A confusing time for her no doubt, especially in the beginning when she wouldn't even have believed such "powers" could exist, let alone that she had them, and when she certainly wouldn't have been able to control them consciously. (If Meimi is actually being honest here, even the adult ones occasionally have trouble keeping it under control. But maybe she really is a thief and is just yanking Erika's chain.)

Until the day Yuki found herself poised on a telephone wire, and "confusing" took on a whole new meaning. :D
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Sackett

Post by Sackett » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 pm

I always thought it was pretty clear that Mysterious Saint Tail steals stuff by a combination of distraction, speed, and dexterity. I assumed Yuki's powers are basically the same, though she seems to depend a lot more on speed.

I don't see any reason to complicate things by assuming she has ranged teleportation powers.

Especially since from https://megatokyo.com/strip/1036 and https://megatokyo.com/strip/1037 that Yuki is convinced there are no real magical girls, and that people don't actually have superpowers.

I can imagine a girl not understanding that her speed is superpower level, especially if she compares herself to her mom and just thinks "I'm really fast when stealing things." I cannot however believe that a girl has teleportation powers and somehow doesn't realize that she is abnormal compared to others.