[1588] things left behind

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1588] things left behind

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Chokky is a cousin and Ashe's roommate. I think the dental issue isn't something that is in comic yet and may not be so that point is moot I suppose.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Roamer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:25 am
Considering that would involve you having been in a serious relationship with Miho, a wildly different comic indeed. Kind of a different Teddy as well.
Wait, what?
NO!
There would be no "serious relationship with Miho." Miho is cruel, foul, and evil.
Many fine and humorous adventures would be had with good guy appropriate rewards.
Omakes would be fishing trips or other relaxing vacations to scenic locations in Japan.
There would be moped jousting and much confusion when I visited Harujuku.
At least one chapter would be my Sumo career as I tried to claw my way up the ranks of the Grand Sumo banzuke.
The many times Miho's dark desires are thwarted heroic acts.
I am almost entirely sure that is a fair estimate.
:D

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:59 pm

There is apparently some confusion about the exact nature of Nanasawa Kimiko. She is utterly soulless, even moreso than poor Ping who is at least self aware enough to realize her situation. Kimiko smoothly insinuated herself into Piro and Miho’s affairs like a slightly imperfect doppelgänger.

Miho was aware of what was happening and could feel the intimacy between Piro and Kimiko in her own body

If there’s anyone truly vile in the story it is Nanasawa

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:36 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:59 pm
There is apparently some confusion about the exact nature of Nanasawa Kimiko. She is utterly soulless, even moreso than poor Ping who is at least self aware enough to realize her situation. Kimiko smoothly insinuated herself into Piro and Miho’s affairs like a slightly imperfect doppelgänger.

Miho was aware of what was happening and could feel the intimacy between Piro and Kimiko in her own body

Well, her reading for the part of Kotone made Sayuri want to reject the genki aspect of Kotone's character

She was able to convince Largo to go see Erika in person to help her stress test her new computer, even though Largo didn't understand a thing she said

There are other examples of her influence over several aspects of the story that seem to allude to her nature. You just have to be aware of how she is doing it.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 am

BOOOOOO! I have a sneaking suspicion that the person knocking on the door, is Megumi. If this is indeed true, it means that any hijinks with regards to Megumi's departure from her room have been swiftly bypassed. I somehow feel robbed. I was hoping to see a clash between reality and derriere accouterments. It would have sharply alerted Megumi to her new status and made for an amusing scene.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:11 am

Kimiko smells good, does not turn my stomach, nor tie my guts in knots. She is an overall good person in MegaTokyo.
Megumi is a good person also... I think she is somehow blithely unaware of being a 9 Tailed Fox Woman. How that is possible at this point I can not explain, cosmic sorcery perhaps, I do not know... but it feels like she is still unawares.

I predict Ping or Junko knocking at the door.
I would not answer the door, if I was Piro.
That look on Kimiko's face is alluring and promises things... good things, fun things.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:59 pm

You haven't known any serious actors, have you. Because that's what they do. Not by being soulless..just by being able to place themselves into another's head. Which, far from being soulless, requires a TON of empathy to do well. Maldrul is exactly right in his assessment.
Eraden wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:45 am
BOOOOOO! I have a sneaking suspicion that the person knocking on the door, is Megumi. If this is indeed true, it means that any hijinks with regards to Megumi's departure from her room have been swiftly bypassed. I somehow feel robbed. I was hoping to see a clash between reality and derriere accouterments. It would have sharply alerted Megumi to her new status and made for an amusing scene.
Yup, the timing is right, and that's where she said she was going. We still might get the reality/derriere clash, depending on how easily Piro blushes.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:11 am
Kimiko smells good, does not turn my stomach, nor tie my guts in knots. She is an overall good person in MegaTokyo.
Megumi is a good person also... I think she is somehow blithely unaware of being a 9 Tailed Fox Woman. How that is possible at this point I can not explain, cosmic sorcery perhaps, I do not know... but it feels like she is still unawares.

I predict Ping or Junko knocking at the door.
I would not answer the door, if I was Piro.
That look on Kimiko's face is alluring and promises things... good things, fun things.
Not going to ask how you know how she smells. Nope. And I agree, she's the best person she can be, for MT.*

Megumi's cluelessness seems likely to be some combination of inherited lockout to ignore the physical sensations of her new body parts (otherwise how is she not realizing her hearing is now probably 300% better?) and simple willful ignorance. She won't notice until her subconscious thinks she's ready, or she does something that makes it impossible to miss. You know, like closing a door on her tails.

I suspect he'll be forgetting the knock on the door. Possibly even that there is a door. And that look on her face is Kimi-zilla, here to claim her new conquest. The look on his face is him realizing he has zero say in the matter. He's ok with that, methinks.

*Kind of like Miho, only Miho is more constrained in what her best can be.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am

This discussion reminded me of projects/ZGPY40. This sums up the aspect of Kimiko I was discussing. Of course she doesn't smell bad or turn your stomach for how else can she lure you in and consume your soul in order to leave you a desiccated husk? Recall the train incident where Piro finally stood up to her for a change and the way she manipulated everyone around in order to attempt to sink her fangs into him once again.

Perhaps when she and Piro are done she'll steal Largo away from Erika.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:55 am

BTW, last panel... you REALLY don't want to be written in to the strip in spite of fantasies about being a sumo wrestler

https://megatokyo.com/strip/1270

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:53 am
This discussion reminded me of projects/ZGPY40. This sums up the aspect of Kimiko I was discussing. Of course she doesn't smell bad or turn your stomach for how else can she lure you in and consume your soul in order to leave you a desiccated husk? Recall the train incident where Piro finally stood up to her for a change and the way she manipulated everyone around in order to attempt to sink her fangs into him once again.

Congratulations...except for word choice, that could easily have been mistaken for Teddy talking about Miho. Please note that most actors lack depth of their own when they're young, usually not a good thing. We haven't seen Kimiko in a relationship until now, so I think reserving judgement is reasonable.

alpha

Post by alpha » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm

If it turns out Piro/Kimiko spent the night more ... significantly, I think I would actually be disappointed. They have known each other for about a month (or did I miscount time?). Feels way too fast a progression for a relationship.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:41 pm

alpha wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:59 pm
If it turns out Piro/Kimiko spent the night more ... Feels way too fast a progression for a relationship.
They are both young adults or full adults in the comic. Prudish projection on obviously adult characters in this comic always mystifies me. They are both 30 +/- a few years old in comic. A month is not too fast or too slow for sex to happen because it was presented in an organic progression... for MT.
Sheesh, I am certainly some sort of rabid lust monster.

TACHEAI!

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Roamer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Invisigoth wrote:

Congratulations...except for word choice, that could easily have been mistaken for Teddy talking about Miho. Please note that most actors lack depth of their own when they're young, usually not a good thing. We haven't seen Kimiko in a relationship until now, so I think reserving judgement is reasonable.
hahaha, well you're perceptive but somehow failed to catch my tongue in cheek send up for what it is

I'll try to be more serious next time :D

tambo

Post by tambo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am

alpha wrote:
If it turns out Piro/Kimiko spent the night more ... significantly, I think I would actually be disappointed. They have known each other for about a month (or did I miscount time?). Feels way too fast a progression for a relationship.
Who said anything about a relationship? Casual sex commonly occurs between adults who share a moment of connectedness.

Maybe there won't be anything beyond this one encounter, and maybe that will be fine with everyone. Or maybe it will be a temporary thing, or a sporadic thing. Or maybe they haven't figured it out yet. All of those are distinct possibilities beyond "they hooked up so they're committed to each other now" BS.

Note that in https://megatokyo.com/strip/1566, Miho didn't seem shocked when Largo mentioned something between Piro and Kimiko. More like "momentarily surprised." Certainly wasn't her top priority, given her actions in the following panels.

I suspect that at least some of this is based on differences between Japanese and American culture and social expectations, but I don't have anywhere near the familiarity to do more than suggest it as a vague possibility.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:22 pm

alpha wrote:
Miho knows what's up, she is experiencing it though she's not happy with it https://megatokyo.com/strip/1520

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm
Roamer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Invisigoth wrote:

hahaha, well you're perceptive but somehow failed to catch my tongue in cheek send up for what it is

I'll try to be more serious next time :D
I kind of suspected (dessicated husk?) but it's so hard to tell in forums - I still wonder how serious Teddy is about Miho sometimes - that it's easier to take everything at face value unless it's truly obvious.
Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:22 pm
alpha wrote:
Miho knows what's up, she is experiencing it though she's not happy with it https://megatokyo.com/strip/1520
At some point we're going to get a cut to Miho waking up in bed with Komu. That ought to be interesting.

alpha

Post by alpha » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 pm

:lol: Looks like I have a pretty unpopular opinion.
tambo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am
alpha wrote:
Who said anything about a relationship? Casual sex commonly occurs between adults who share a moment of connectedness.

Maybe there won't be anything beyond this one encounter, and maybe that will be fine with everyone. Or maybe it will be a temporary thing, or a sporadic thing. Or maybe they haven't figured it out yet. All of those are distinct possibilities beyond "they hooked up so they're committed to each other now" BS.
Yes (or at least, for some cultures of thought), though I was thinking more on a character basis, not people in general. Piro has had quite the progression from his initial introduction. Can talk to women without fleeing. Can be assertive(ish) and protective. Appears to (have grown to) treat real world people significantly different than characters in the games he has played. He seems much more trying for a steady measured pace https://megatokyo.com/strip/1081. He is forgetful and impulse buys, but sex without commitment? That just does not match with my read on Piro.

Kimiko, well, seems like she would respect Piro.
Invisigoth wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:22 pm
alpha wrote:
Huh, I totally missed that. Will need to reread the context around that strip.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:16 am

Those not yet shipping Piro with Kimiko, should go find the artwork called 'Location Hunting' on Mega Gear Store :) (funny enough it's not on Fredart) see what that situation tells you. I think the persons playing them in the comic, are already an item in 'real life', and the writer decided to write them into the story. (Or one threatened to leave the production if the other is killed off, I guess it is Nanasawa, the more famous one, judging by the number of times Piro's been hit in the head or worse).
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 am

alpha wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 pm
:lol: Looks like I have a pretty unpopular opinion.
tambo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am
alpha wrote:

Yes (or at least, for some cultures of thought), though I was thinking more on a character basis, not people in general. Piro has had quite the progression from his initial introduction. Can talk to women without fleeing. Can be assertive(ish) and protective. Appears to (have grown to) treat real world people significantly different than characters in the games he has played. He seems much more trying for a steady measured pace https://megatokyo.com/strip/1081. He is forgetful and impulse buys, but sex without commitment? That just does not match with my read on Piro.

Kimiko, well, seems like she would respect Piro.
I think it's more popular than you believe. They haven't known each other that long but it's been a very intense relationship. Piro has grown, and Kimiko has had a front row seat to see it. In the last month all of the major characters have had one or another's in serious and even lethal situations. It's the sort of environment where relationships are grown and trust established very quickly. These two have told each other their secrets, had a really ugly fight, shared a very lumpy bed, helped save someone else's life...encounters and experiences that many couples take years to experience.

I think that based on these shared experiences, they have made a commitment to each other, one that's profound enough that it never needed to be talked about.

Or maybe I'm just a romantic.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am

Roamer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 am

No that's fine, just ... this might not just be a story this straight forward ;)

As in Invis' theory of layered game worlds, Megatokyo being the (mini)game played by the UnMod characters when they're not doing 'work' in their own universe; so Piroko (UM) plays Piro in MT, M0h plays Miho, Largo & Erika play themselves; but it is layered too that Piroko is a character that Piro himself uses in games, I'm just getting a vibe that the person (from the layer above UM) who plays both Piro and Kimiko or (t)he(y) have someone close playing the other character, I suspect a spouse or a sibling... and they share a screen like in the Lego games ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am

cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am
Roamer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 am

No that's fine, just ... this might not just be a story this straight forward ;)

As in Invis' theory of layered game worlds, Megatokyo being the (mini)game played by the UnMod characters when they're not doing 'work' in their own universe; so Piroko (UM) plays Piro in MT, M0h plays Miho, Largo & Erika play themselves; but it is layered too that Piroko is a character that Piro himself uses in games, I'm just getting a vibe that the person (from the layer above UM) who plays both Piro and Kimiko or (t)he(y) have someone close playing the other character, I suspect a spouse or a sibling... and they share a screen like in the Lego games ;)
I've pondered who may be running Kimiko, for a long time I had assumed that it was Moh since he is Piroko's boyfriend and messing with her would be the sort of thing that he'd do since he's got a sort of gallows humour about him. After all who asks a girl out after she's shot you when you were attending to her in the emergency room.

Right now I'm beginning to think that Kimiko's player may in fact be either Largo or Erika. unMod Largo doesn't much approve of Moh and Erika has other things going on that could motivate her. In fact one of Fred's drawings that hasn't made it to FredArt yet depicts Largo and Piroko on a camping trip. I can't imagine any straightforward mental process where a wife would encourage her husband to have lots of alone time with a female friend of whom he is very attached and protective of...and really with Piroko you should be more protective of people who are in range...

That being said, the people in MegatTokyo and fully developed and sentient AI personalities in their own right. They just don't know that they are living in a simulation....

darrin

Post by darrin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 am

alpha wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 pm
sex without commitment? That just does not match with my read on Piro.
Where are you getting that "without commitment" is part of Piro's mindset or plans regarding Kimiko?

Pretty much everything non-trivial in the comic that's happened to Piro or been done by Piro, ranging from the benign to the catastrophic, has been directed toward getting closer to Kimiko, very rarely physically closer.

No, they haven't explicitly used phrases like "long-term" or "married filing jointly". But literally three chapters ago they were seriously discussing Piro trying to get a better (potentially much better) job than stock boy. If Piro had any other motive for establishing an actual career in Japan besides Kimiko, or if "I'll start working on my portfolio" was just a lie directed toward a one-night stand, then that certainly doesn't match with my read on Piro.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm

I'd agree if that 1151 wasn't imo about earning more money for the plane ticket... Yet Kimi heard what she wanted... And I'm a bit afraid this may be another Chekhov's gun...
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 am

cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:25 pm
I'd agree if that 1151 wasn't imo about earning more money for the plane ticket... Yet Kimi heard what she wanted... And I'm a bit afraid this may be another Chekhov's gun...
Except "tickets" haven't been mentioned since eight chapters ago, and the only "expense" in the 1151 conversation that Piro mentions explicitly are the eyeglasses Erika bought him. There's no more evidence for your interpretation than for Piro being well aware that living in the Megagamers storage attic (without even basic plumbing facilities) isn't sustainable, and wanting to spend the night with his girlfriend (should the occasion arise) on something more comfortable than a bunch of cardboard boxes.

I will see your Chekhov's Gun and raise you an Occam's Razor: if Piro is just after some causal "sex without commitment", then pretending to go along with a plan to commit to a long-term artistic role at a well-known company on a VN project of significant notoriety is a remarkably convoluted way to accomplish that goal. The claim that Fred would intend this -- without providing any evidence in-comic that Piro has such an ulterior motive and is just deceiving Kimko -- is unjustifiably elaborate compared to him having basically told the truth in the 1151 and related conversations.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:40 am

darrin wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 am

I will see your Chekhov's Gun and raise you an Occam's Razor: if Piro is just after some causal "sex without commitment", then pretending to go along with a plan to commit to a long-term artistic role at a well-known company on a VN project of significant notoriety is a remarkably convoluted way to accomplish that goal. The claim that Fred would intend this -- without providing any evidence in-comic that Piro has such an ulterior motive and is just deceiving Kimko -- is unjustifiably elaborate compared to him having basically told the truth in the 1151 and related conversations.
I get that, but this possibility was never really (even alluded to be) removed: yes in 1151 it is being said it's for the glasses. And damn right if MY newfound girlfriend found ME a job I would only dream of when I was back home, then damn right /I/ would do whatever it gets, to keep both; tis the story of my actual life even tho my SO isn't originally from whence we went to get the job but isn't that just... projecting my own expectations into the character? something that has been pointed out as a sort-of clue of the matter 'main problem with fans', multiple times in the comic? Sure /I/ would, and /I/ can hope Piro would, but there wasn't really a proof to the contrary here either. Apart from maybe Piro character growth and him /wanting/ to be with this girl (and btw we don't even know for sure, if he's been told whether he got the job or not). (And it really doesn't clash with the practce of me 'shipping' them or making dreamy imaginary predictions either, because it's my imagination, not expectations :) )

(EDIT: if you need it in /song/ here it is ;) )
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish