[1585] rest and recovery

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Invisigoth

Re: [1585] rest and recovery

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:08 am

Eraden wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 pm
Well, Invisigoth, they must have at least TRIED to have sex or how else would he have known about this "awkward condition"? The point is, he's been with her for some time now and part of that time has been spent under intimate conditions. I just can not understand how any human being could possibly NOT pick up on some of the vibes their partner is giving off after that amount of contact. I do admit I find Largo to be funny from time to time but this time....he's just a sad excuse of a person. Communication is a two-way street and while most of us struggle with it for most of our lives, we still manage to learn enough over that lifetime to keep us from going postal on each other. Largo though....he's something else altogether.
It starts https://megatokyo.com/strip/965 and progresses into the beginning of the next chapter.
SpoilerShow
I put this in spoilers however it has been confirmed outside of the comic that Largo gets over excited and experiences PE when trying to get intimate. A lot of Erika and Largo arc is about them developing a relationship that doesn't involve Erika feeling used and suffering from attacks on her self esteem. If Largo could perform like Piro has with Kimiko then Erika would be suffering from self doubt at this point in her relationship and would likely see Largo's constant inattention as an indication that he's using her for sex.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm

arimareiji wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:08 am
Roamer wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 pm
Eraden wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:35 pm
HOW....CAN....THAT....IDIOT....BE....SO....CLUELESS?! My GOD, he's already had sex with her and been with her for most of the last while. How can he NOT have picked up on ANY of her behavior patterns? Largo SERIOUSLY has to be channeling every single spirit of STUPIDITY that might be roaming around the Astral Plane. That man is a STUPIDITY magnet! I hope Erika gets fully charged up and jumps him like a hungry she-wolf. Maybe the terror (and a few broken bones) will smarten him up.
My working theory is that he used all his Wisdom points to buy extra Constitution.
That sorta makes sense. He probably needed it to survive a bunch of saving throws from eating SCSI things he found while dumpster-diving for computers.
I was thinking more of the whole 'destroying cars by having them run into you' thing, but that works too.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:30 pm

jkhartl wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:15 pm
It’s too bad love hotels don’t have cafes. You could have everyone showing up for breakfast. Piro and Kimiko; Largo and Erika, being there wouldn’t be unusual but then Junko and Ping would roll in.
Haha this is much more mild than I was imagining :)

Imagine one each of the people in the love hotel have to slip out of the room in the morning and they are going to come back but had something to do... And they meet in the corridor:

Largo meeting Piro: "What are you doing here" "Wh4t r _ y00_ d0in9 h3r3 ?"

Largo meeting Kimiko: "oh, you who has p0w4h, lend us a hand in this quest Erika got"

Piro meeting Erika: neon blush, stammering

Kimiko meeting Erika: bro/sis moment
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:48 am

This is a much better and more, ahem, satisfying end to chapter 12.
While both titillating and amusing... I still worry about the looming threat of Moerika. I still think she is not the one driving her body.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Eraden wrote:
HOW....CAN....THAT....IDIOT....BE....SO....CLUELESS?! My GOD, he's already had sex with her and been with her for most of the last while. How can he NOT have picked up on ANY of her behavior patterns? Largo SERIOUSLY has to be channeling every single spirit of STUPIDITY that might be roaming around the Astral Plane. That man is a STUPIDITY magnet! I hope Erika gets fully charged up and jumps him like a hungry she-wolf. Maybe the terror (and a few broken bones) will smarten him up.
They haven't had sex the entire series. They came close once. For him, he's still playing video games. The prospect of sex scares him a bit. (See 965, 989, 992 and 993).
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Rapierman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:24 pm
Eraden wrote:
They haven't had sex the entire series. They came close once. For him, he's still playing video games. The prospect of sex scares him a bit. (See 965, 989, 992 and 993).
I believe that 1287 and 1289 provide the typical implications that Largo and Erika did have successful relations prior to Largo calling Piro (to brag).

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:14 pm

maldrul wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:10 pm
Rapierman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:24 pm
Eraden wrote:
I believe that 1287 and 1289 provide the typical implications that Largo and Erika did have successful relations prior to Largo calling Piro (to brag).
Given Largo's usual bluntness, I can't believe that he wouldn't have just blurted it out had they actually done so.

GouryG

Post by GouryG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:23 pm

If Erika turns herself loose on Largo, he is going to be in for more than he can handle
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am

It is entirely wishful thinking to believe that Largo and Erika have done the deed and it cheapens the development of that story arc for the initial awkward to have just been a blip. In this scene Erika believes that Largo is finally ready but as usual he's rather clueless

arimareiji

Post by arimareiji » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:23 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am
It is entirely wishful thinking to believe that Largo and Erika have done the deed and it cheapens the development of that story arc for the initial awkward to have just been a blip. In this scene Erika believes that Largo is finally ready but as usual he's rather clueless
I don't have any cause to doubt you, but the notion it could hit the level of "wishful thinking" (that Largo and Erika have doinked non-awkwardly) weirds me out. (I think Fred may have poisoned my thought processes wrt "the Horde". Nowadays the notion of getting that invested in the particulars of characters' sex lives... :ph34r: )

On the bright side, it could be so much worse. Remember in the old days when sparky* was utterly hell-bent on insisting Piro and Kimiko had "sealed the deal"**, and everyone who thought otherwise must be a sock puppet of Tangent?

* - I think that's who it was - my memory has a bunch of holes in it, and http://archive.forums.megatokyo.com/ won't load to confirm

** - something else that creeps me out when I think about it... the notion that mutually-orgasmic sex is some sort of holy magic ritual so powerful that one's soul is forever locked away by one casting
You know how when you do laundry, you have that one sock left that doesn't match any of the others? That's me.
Original forum join date 1 Aug 2008. Slightly less old than dert.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am

yeah that was good old sparky, I'd forgotten about him and his take on things.

Wishful thinking was not the right way to put that. Fred had been abusing tropes with the train symbolism by having ExL riding on the top of the train and then played with it some more when Largo rode on the top of Junpei's Pantera rather than sit in Erika's lap during the trip back IIRC

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am
(...) rather than [Largo] sit in Erika's lap during the trip back IIRC
Or the other way round I guess is what Erika was imagining O.o
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Well, even if they did not have sex, they must have at least been under intimate (remember, intimate does not necessarily mean sex) conditions for Largo to have found out about his "awkward condition". He's been with Erika since then almost nonstop. I should think a NORMAL person would have picked up on some of his partner's idiosyncrasies by now. Largo is obviously not normal. I think his head is about as dense as neutronium.

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am

Eraden wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 pm
I think his head is about as dense as neutronium.
Largo is the Ken Clean-Air Systems of MegaTokyo. Although he does unfortunately still have a small particle of brain in his skull, once that's removed he'll be perfectly all right.

EDIT:
While I was reviewing the more memorable of Largo's exploits in my head, it did occur to me that pretty much every scene in Thor: Ragnarok is a direct ripoff of this.

I've said before that when it comes time to do the anime version of MegaTokyo, they need to get Kari Wahlgren for the voice of Miho. I think the above quite clearly establishes that Largo must be played by Chris Hemsworth.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Odd thoughts that almost certainly won't actually happen in the comic ...

What happens when (certain really crazy elements of) the N.P.C. find out that Piro has besmirched the purity of their idol? (K-Pop performers have a lot of trouble with this kind of thing). I wonder if they'll want to charge the Foxhole to stage an intervention. And find the Mighty Idol Erika there also.

Somebody's budget is going to have tragic elements to it, like any good story.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Well Liminaut, there's a a nine tail upstairs who just cried herself to sleep.....I wouldn't want to be in the mob that woke her up

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Seeing Largo confuse 2,900 YEN for 2,900 DOLLARS makes me question whether or not his actual credit card is maxed out. Not the one the TPCD gave him mind you, his actual card, the one he 'maxed out' buying his cool thing back in 11. Which naturally brings in the idea that Piro never really 'wanted' to leave Tokyo in the first place until things started going south and Sephrim had to kick him in the butt to get him to act 'right', which even then he was able to dismiss by playing the loof with the extra cash they received from Dom and Ed courtesy of Largo.

hey..... why are you looking at me like that? I gotta make my signature make sense sometimes right?
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

Olba

Post by Olba » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am

HakuRyoku wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Seeing Largo confuse 2,900 YEN for 2,900 DOLLARS makes me question whether or not his actual credit card is maxed out. Not the one the TPCD gave him mind you, his actual card, the one he 'maxed out' buying his cool thing back in 11. Which naturally brings in the idea that Piro never really 'wanted' to leave Tokyo in the first place until things started going south and Sephrim had to kick him in the butt to get him to act 'right', which even then he was able to dismiss by playing the loof with the extra cash they received from Dom and Ed courtesy of Largo.
This isn't the first time he's mistaken yen for dollars.

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 am

For some reason, I imagine Largo waking up with a smile on his face like Arnie in the movie "Twins".

It looks like the whole gang is going to be together for the start of Chapter 13. Correct me if I'm wrong with this list of everyone's locations:
-Hotel: Largo/Erika, Piro/Kimiko, 9-Tails, Ping/Junko, Seraphim (maybe Boo, too)
-Hospital: Miho, Yakugashi, Komugiko
-Home: The Sonodas
-Off fighting somewhere: Junpei

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Ok, I have a theory now that might explain Largo's behavior. Maybe he's not actually an idiot. Maybe he's suffering from arrested mental (and perhaps partial physical) development. He's an eight-year-old stuck in the body of a twenty-something. Consider if you will, the way he perceives his environment. Everything is in the form of a video game. Everything is black or white to him. That is the mindset of a child. The few times he has made any kind of sexual comment, it's been in the over-the-top way that perhaps a child would make. Honestly, while he can make sexual innuendos I'm not sure he even fully understands what he himself is saying. This is a kid we are looking at. His mental development, at the very least, is so far below the bar for a person his age that just about every situation he finds himself in, within the confines of this story, is beyond his ability to be able to properly handle. As to how the other characters haven't figured this out yet, perhaps he has managed to develop just enough BSing skills to make it seem, superficially, that he really is an adult. The upcoming romp in the Foxhole should prove to be rather illuminating.

Voyager

Post by Voyager » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm

You know, looking more at the beginning of this, I'm thinking Erika is actually the one missing some of the signals. If I recall correctly this was never intended as a 'date' in the first place: one of Piro's friends had gotten into some sort of trouble, that involved the Cave of Evil, and Largo was going in to figure out what it was and sort it out.

He asked Erika along because he regards her as very capable, and thought he would need her backup (which was correct, all told). Yes it was fun having her along, but that was secondary to fixing whatever was going on. At the end of all of what they've been through, it's perfectly reasonable to be just plain tired, and he had not really accounted for that going in, so he's responding reasonably, that he hadn't really thought of that like he should have.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

I do think that there was some down time in the hospital. Certainly Largo was stoned out of his gourd on pain killers and still may be.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Pursuant to my previous statement: what if the Megatokyo environment is simply another virtual environment and the player who is playing the "Largo" character actually IS an eight-year-old?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 pm

The Largo who is playing Largo in MegaTokyo is unMod Largo. unMod Largo is married to unMod Erika and they have a LOT of kids, well Erika does anyway. Piro's player is Piroko from unMod who is a murderous psychopath who is Largo's partner in a special police section.

Piroko's boyfriend is Moh who plays Miho and possibly Kimiko as well. Moh is a doctor, Piroko and Moh met when he was treating her in an emergency room. BTW she shot him.

Yep Piroko is a keeper!

Largo apparently would rather be on a stake out with Piroko or off camping with her than be home with Erika and the kids....he seems to be terribly jealous of Moh....

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 am

And the UnMod game is PG16, so every other 13yo wants to play it because their friends already do, and some parents do cave in to demand T-T
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish