[1583] the heartbreak of other people's luck

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

Ningen 2

Re: [1583] the heartbreak of other people's luck

Post by Ningen 2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:03 pm

louisxiv wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 am
Shouldn't that be T9? I mean, if she goes on a rampage wouldn’t that make her a Tailminator?
Furminator?

Furs 9 from ナバローン?
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

louisxiv

Post by louisxiv » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:03 pm
louisxiv wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 am
Shouldn't that be T9? I mean, if she goes on a rampage wouldn’t that make her a Tailminator?
Furminator?

Furs 9 from ナバローン?
Furninator has a better ring to it, for sure, but kinda loses the rather essential tailiness. Taiminator?

Not finding a translation for “ナバローン” so reference wasted I’m afraid... : (

darrin

Post by darrin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:27 pm

If she keeps getting dealt weak-ass hands like glasses guy, she'll end up a tail-no-mater... :(
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Okashinamaru

Post by Okashinamaru » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:18 pm

darrin wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:27 pm
If she keeps getting dealt weak-ass hands like glasses guy, she'll end up a tail-no-mater... :(
Maybe she can't get any tail cause she's already got 9 of em'. *ba-dum-tssh*

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 am

So…

What I don’t yet quite understand…

If Megumi is so powerful as a 9T9 (take your pick)…
…and she could become the cause of a tribal battle with her tails as the booty…
…then WHY did that matriarch grand-grand-grandma of sorts *CURSE* Megumi to be lonely and unhappy?????????

I mean…

…if this unhappiness causes her to show her real form in a frustrated, anguished and therefore possibly dangerous mood…
…wouldn’t it have been much wiser to rather have — like — *blessed* Megumi so she would have a loving man and allow her to be happy and at peace with her life, so that there would be no reason or cause for her to ever manifest…

…so that her (possibly unknown by herself) secret would just have remained that: a secret…?

Okay. I know…:
…story …drama …plot …thrill …danger …&c.

Storywise, this is a major turn of events and yes, it makes the story even much more interesting than it already was.

But still…
…for the sake of inline logic and MT power management…

I totally don’t understand why anyone would choose to curse her this way…

WHAT WAS THAT MATRIARCH THINKING — if she was thinking at all!?

Or… did she maybe *want* this to happen to Megumi…?
…as an experiment, or as terrorism or as… well… sort of a time bomb… or… I don’t know what…

=?

Anyway, poor Megumi…
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:29 am

louisxiv wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Not finding a translation for “ナバローン” so reference wasted I’m afraid... : (
Navarone. I should probably have put it in katakana.

Riffing on Force 10 from Navarone.

darrin wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:27 pm
:lol: Excellent!

Okashinamaru

Post by Okashinamaru » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:54 am

BetaCygnus wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 am
…then WHY did that matriarch grand-grand-grandma of sorts *CURSE* Megumi to be lonely and unhappy?????????
Wait, did that actually happen?

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 am

AFAIK no. It's just one of many "what if"s that have become SD canon.

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 am
Oh. Thanks. That helps. =)

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm

If she has indeed been cursed by her Grandma, BetaCygnus, it was almost certainly done in order to conceal her true nature. From others and possibly even herself. Most likely done in order to safeguard the clan. Part of the curse might have been some sort of probability hex that would pull a "Murphy's Law" on Megumi anytime she would try to get close to someone and thus prevent any close relationships which might cause a "reveal" to happen. If this is indeed the case, that girl is going to be VERY upset with Grandma should knowledge of this curse ever be made aware to her.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:58 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
I'm not quite sure why this has become a popular theory. To me, based on the comic and TTDP comic, Megumi hides the fact that she is a powerful foxgirl in order to avoid the TPCD and the prejudice associated with being a "monster".

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm

maldrul wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:58 pm
Ningen 2 wrote:
I'm not quite sure why this has become a popular theory. To me, based on the comic and TTDP comic, Megumi hides the fact that she is a powerful foxgirl in order to avoid the TPCD and the prejudice associated with being a "monster".
Here's the problem I have with that theory. The girl is incredibly despondent. So much so that it would be difficult to imagine her not trying to change her situation if she had the power to do so. If she is fully aware of what she is and is capable of wielding that incredible power, why hasn't she tried to change her situation? What we are seeing now makes no sense if you were to assume she is a fully self aware and powered up Nine-Tail kitsune. Unless there is something we are not being told about that limits her power output, she should theoretically have little or no trouble drop-kicking the entire TPCD into the deepest ocean. The only individuals that would stand a chance against her would be Yuki, Miho and Erika. The TPCD mechs would be folded like little tin soldiers under the influence of her power.

We have additional considerations with regards to her upbringing. I think it's a good bet that a baby Nine-Tail would not be fully in control of its abilities from the start. Other members of the clan would have surely noticed the newborn possessing nine tails (assuming they are born with them) and this would have become a not-so-secret secret. We have never ever seen any of the other clan members ever act in a way as to indicate that they know Megumi is somehow special. You could theorize that the other clan members are really REALLY good at keeping secrets.....or you could invoke Occam's Razor and say that instead of having so many people behave in such a secretive fashion, just have ONE person (Great Grandma) who is in the know and has sealed off the tyke's appearance and abilities until now.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:28 pm

My personal theory is that her mom and the grandmothers are all who know of her nature and they've locked her down with a powerful ...curse I suppose...to keep everyone safe. Maybe they should have told her what's what long before now but exactly how do you do that? "Oh sweetie, we only did it for your own good.."

I can't wait to see how the next chapter kicks off, it's chapter 13 after all

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 am

Invisigoth wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:28 pm
My personal theory is that her mom and the grandmothers are all who know of her nature and they've locked her down with a powerful ...curse I suppose...to keep everyone safe. Maybe they should have told her what's what long before now but exactly how do you do that? "Oh sweetie, we only did it for your own good.."

I can't wait to see how the next chapter kicks off, it's chapter 13 after all
Remember what The Phoenix did to Professor Xavier? [shudders]

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:08 am

I could see either (grand^n-)parental suppression, or naturally hidden development being the explanation for the non-manifesta(il)tion, but I'm not buying the idea of the loneliness curse without some strong on-comic evidence.

On another note, I hope Fred decides to count threat assessment as this chapter's omake so we can press right ahead with the story.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:00 pm

Ningen 2 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:08 am
I could see either (grand^n-)parental suppression, or naturally hidden development being the explanation for the non-manifesta(il)tion, but I'm not buying the idea of the loneliness curse without some strong on-comic evidence.

On another note, I hope Fred decides to count threat assessment as this chapter's omake so we can press right ahead with the story.
Well, if I were to invoke Occam's Razor once more, I'd tend to agree with you. The simplest explanation for her loneliness, barring the invocation of strange supernatural phenomena, would be that her choices and/or her personality have led to her situation. However.....we KNOW for sure now, that she IS supernatural and her choices and personality that we have seen so far do not appear to justify such a long and consistent trend of not being able to obtain companionship. While it makes me a wee bit uncomfortable to linger on the notion of a "curse" being able to alter probability around her, it might be a valid theory. It IS still only just a theory right now though. We would need some sort of in-story confirmation of that to make it a real thing. I am not looking forward to such confirmation, though, because it may come with a price (if she was indeed "cursed" by Great Grandma, there will be a reckoning once she finds out).

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for your input, all! =)
Eraden wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm
If she has indeed been cursed by her Grandma, BetaCygnus, it was almost certainly done in order to conceal her true nature. From others and possibly even herself. Most likely done in order to safeguard the clan. Part of the curse might have been some sort of probability hex that would pull a "Murphy's Law" on Megumi anytime she would try to get close to someone and thus prevent any close relationships which might cause a "reveal" to happen. If this is indeed the case, that girl is going to be VERY upset with Grandma should knowledge of this curse ever be made aware to her.
…but that is just what I don’t understand the underlying strategy of. I do understand the theory, but — if this be the case, helping Gumi in being happy (if anything could be influenced by others, which is a tricky business in itself, of course) would’ve been a much more effective (and safer for all) path to keep her from showing her true nature than frustrating her, right? …wrong?

:?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Well, thing is that most every character in the strip has managed at some point to make at least one very terrible decision. Even the much loved Largo screwed the pooch when he taunted Piro for caring about Miho.

Eraden

Post by Eraden » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:43 pm

BetaCygnus wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for your input, all! =)
Eraden wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm
…but that is just what I don’t understand the underlying strategy of. I do understand the theory, but — if this be the case, helping Gumi in being happy (if anything could be influenced by others, which is a tricky business in itself, of course) would’ve been a much more effective (and safer for all) path to keep her from showing her true nature than frustrating her, right? …wrong?

:?
And now we come to the meat of the issue. As Invisigoth said, many of the characters in this comic have made at least one very bad decision. I suspect, should the "curse" theory hold true, that Great Grandma was, at the time, not thinking of Megumi's best interests or happiness. Great Grandma was thinking about what she thought was best for the CLAN. Conceal the Nine-Tail at all costs. Let nobody know that there is a BIG monster in their midst. This one act set up a whole chain of events that has now led to the current state. There's no going back on this one. Payback is a...well you know.

As a side note, we still don't have a good handle on what is causing her to manifest. If it should be extreme states of emotion, one might be able to understand why Great Grandma would want to keep her somewhat celibate. Can you imagine the furor that would occur if she were to get really worked up during a bout of sex and then suddenly the ears and tails come flying out.......resulting in her going full "RUFF RUFF AWOOOOO!"
Last edited by Eraden on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jkhartl

Post by jkhartl » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Maybe Megumi’s secret thing for ninjas is the cause of the rift between the Kitsune and the Ninjas. Maybe the 9 tail finds them tasty. 🤔
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm

I think Megumi hides the tails cause she's afraid of getting sealed in the abdomen of some bratty little ninja.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

Okashinamaru

Post by Okashinamaru » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:40 pm

Eraden wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:43 pm
resulting in her going full "RUFF RUFF AWOOOOO!"
She's a fox, not a wolf. So uh.. "ring ding ding ding ding deringdeding, wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow.." etc ;P
paarfi wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm
I think Megumi hides the tails cause she's afraid of getting sealed in the abdomen of some bratty little ninja.
and suddenly I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of brain cells suddenly cried out in pain and died.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:58 pm

Roamer wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:03 am
If Megumi has fully manfested and her future mindset reflects her emotions during the manifestation, I suspect you'll be proven wrong on this one, Teddy. Depending on the source, the power range of a 9T* can be pretty terrifying, and she's got no experience in controlling them. They may need Miho's help to keep Megumi from wrecking MT in this mental state. I very much hope not, but I can't recall a single good piece of luck she's had up to now. And everyone has a breaking point.

* I am hereby declaring that '9T' will be the short version of 'nine-tail' in the forums hereafter. Because shortcut.

Some of the legends say a that when a kitsune grows a ninth tail, their hair changes color to silver, white or gold. Would be an interesting look for her.
You do not f34r teh olde 3v1l enough... this could lead to your undoing.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:59 pm

darrin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:39 pm
Perhaps she does. And many are destroyed that need non-destroyedness. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out being destroyed in judgement.
I trust my nose and my guts, D. They both tell me that Miho and Moeria are far bigger threats.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm

Perhaps, because she is a T9, she was very perceptive at a young age and saw the outcome of the promiscuous nature of foxgirls and the oft-time terrible repercussions of that nature, so she vowed never to let her "foxgirlness" get the better of her. Her interaction with Mugi in the hospital belies her rather puritan attitude which seems juxtapositioned with the prevailing attitude amongst foxgirls that sex is just a means to an end.