[1491] Visiting the Family Shrine [part 2]

Moderators: Invisigoth, chemi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

[1491] Visiting the Family Shrine [part 2]

Post by paarfi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:45 am

Fred has posted part 2 of the Mugi/Yaku/GreatGrandma comic to the Patreon site. He'll post it to the main site tonight or tomorrow.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

jkhartl

Re: [1491] Visiting the Family Shrine [part 2]

Post by jkhartl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 am

I want to hug Yaku and skritch her ears, and probably lose my hand.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 pm

So, what I gather here is that Mugi tried to hide her true nature when she was a kid and became self-destructive because of it. If so, then Grams is right. Yaku needs to know what she is, warts and all.

Of course, this has risks. Yaku could be scared into an even deeper fear of being Kitsune. She's being raised by a mother who had problems with it, (and who became a mother near Yaku's age because of those issues) so that's the soil in which Grams will planting this knowledge, which she, on the other hand, had certainly received in a different era and from elders who were entirely comfortable with it. Her approach may backfire. Much would depend on how she raised Mugi's mother and how that turned out, and if Grams learned anything from it.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

I think that Yaku is a lot tougher than what her mother thinks she is. I have to wonder about Mugi's mother though, grams seems to think she was rather black hearted and deliberately hid things from Mugi

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm
I have to wonder about Mugi's mother though, grams seems to think she was rather black hearted and deliberately hid things from Mugi
I'm going to guess that has something to do with Mugi's "birth defect" (one tail). :(

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Maybe its something else. Obaa-sama said "You're really nothin' more dan a loose woman wit a tail 'n ears." Is that a hint at a part of the nature of kitsune as sexually promiscuous monsters that 'prey' on human men? Yaku seems to be drawn as a rather shy dere dere type. Maybe, Mugi is trying to say that Yaku is actually afraid of her own sexual desires?

Greymom

Post by Greymom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:36 pm

This is a great side story, and I will be eager to see more! I will be very interested to see what shrine they are visiting. I will take a wild guess that the shrine is not dedicated to Inari, the Shinto Rice God, since the family seems more like the Yako Kitsune, the more mischievous and dangerous group.

In Celtic/Irish folklore, foxes are said to shape-shift into beautiful red-haired women to steal the souls of men...... and they get a new freckle for every soul they steal : )

Love these characters!

shadowrider

Post by shadowrider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm
I think that Yaku is a lot tougher than what her mother thinks she is. I have to wonder about Mugi's mother though, grams seems to think she was rather black hearted and deliberately hid things from Mugi
I think Grams Kitsune has a point here. Seems like Mugi's mother made out Mugi as the black sheep within the clan. Thus in turn Mugi sheltering Yaku from her own, and family's pasts.
Yaku seems to be stronger, more perceptive, so it's probably better for her to hear and learn what she can. From there I think then Yaku can decide for herself what she is, and what to do for herself, maybe even learn how to better use her powers.

~shadowrider (Wonder if if here are names for grams kitsune,and mom?)
Archived:
Owner of a "Welcome to SC" plushie with a "I joined O's Army" pin attached,
Member of Ocelot's Army.

Zippo owns my 1000th, and 1250th post, cause us Canadian girls stick together.
Xelfixtheimmortal owns my 1337th post.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 pm

There seems to be some real prejudice against Mugi here, as a non-magical one-tail. She's "really nothin' more dan a [snip] woman wit a tail 'n ears". Not a proper foxgirl at all. GreatGrandma seems to see everything through that lens, and I think that's leading her to misunderstand Mugi and Yaku. I'll bet that had a lot to do with Mugi's mother throwing her out of the family, and of course GreatGrandma's threat about Mugi's tail. I think Yaku has it right though. She needs to understand more here, or she's vulnerable. Other kitsune may not be willing to just dismiss Yaku like they do with Mugi. Yaku has power, if only two-tails worth. If Mugi can't/won't teach her, she's going to need to get it from GreatGrandma.

Ningen

Post by Ningen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 pm

I love the body language throughout this, particularly when they're right in each other's faces (panel13).

BetaCygnus

Post by BetaCygnus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:47 am

Well one thing seems to stand out for as long as we’ve seen Yakugashi and her mother interact in MT and out here in the side story: whatever Yakugashi may have *more* of than her mom, I’m pretty sure she’s got more self control and a greater understanding. That should already be enough to really make a difference in the way the path of her life will turn — compared to that of her mom.

=)

(Edit:) As ever, I love the different facial expressions. =) Thanks for the update, Fred!
— Member № 48735 · February 13, 2006 —

zumHueriger

Post by zumHueriger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:47 am

I'm wondering what "the really afraid of?" might be that gave great-grandma that stricken look and fan her eight tails in the last panel - she'd kept them hidden till then...

Initial B

Post by Initial B » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 pm

The tension and animosity in that confrontation was palpable. No child likes to see familial conflict. Grams isn't helping Yaku-chan come to terms with herself, more like she's going to give the kid even more of a complex. I see generational differences here. Hopefully we get to meet Mugi's mom soon...

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

My take is that grams doesn't lie and she's more than happy to let fly and let the chips fall as they may. Yaku is a twin tail kitsune and we have no reference point demonstrating whether powers from that point are incremental or exponential. I'm guessing that it's incremental with small differences between concurrent numbers but a serious increase overall from Yaku's 2 up to grams 8

iffy

Post by iffy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Things are far from calm and harmonious in their world. What else may we learn of these wondrous creatures as time goes on?

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 pm

You folks keep calling Obaa-sama an eight tail, but Yaku said "Cousin Youko told me Great Grandma is really only an eight tail...". That means she actually has 9 tails. Yaku also said "One of Great Grandma's tails IS a different color than all the others...". Considering how long kitsune live, it is possible that Grams is from the time when the practice of tail stealing was common. As far as Obaa-sama hiding her tails, part of the mythology includes the ability to actually make them invisible. In panel 15, we see a long shot of her showing the back of her kimono. No tails, no indication of a hole or slot for her tails to protrude through, but in the final panel, they are in full display. Since Yaku had to physically hide her tails by tucking, that implies the magic ability to make them invisible must come only with more than 2 tails.

Greymom

Post by Greymom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Maldrul makes an excellent point! I keep looking at frame #15...where are her tails?

Liminaut

Post by Liminaut » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm

As I understand it ... with three or more tails a kitsune can cast illusions, and so hide tails and ears if desired.

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 pm

So, what is Yaku really afraid of?
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Liminaut wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm
As I understand it ... with three or more tails a kitsune can cast illusions, and so hide tails and ears if desired.
That was my understanding as well, Liminaut. I just wasn't sure if Fred-rin's kitusune 'mythos' included that or not.

But the standard kitsune mythos says that kitsune actuall grow another tail for each century of their life with 9 tails being the maximum (except for 'The Lady' who is the Matriarch of all kitsune - She has 1000 tails!)

Old_Gray_One

Post by Old_Gray_One » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 am

eomdal wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 pm
<SNIP> Yaku needs to know what she is, warts and all. <SNIP>

//quote]

Just what a teenager needs, another reason to be self-conscious. But, considering the situation, probably necessary.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Doing the math, Mugi became preggers at 15, so if she had Yaku at 16, that would put Mugi at 29, right? Also, calling themselves monsters is just reinforcing the stereotype that humans put on them, and that's something Mugi desperately is trying not to have Yaku believe(though in the back of her mind, Yaku may think this anyway).

iffy

Post by iffy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:48 pm

It could all be myth and such, to frighten the little ones, or maybe they are "tail elitists" due to the magical powers said things give the bearer, marks of their power. Or just a ranking order in some caste-based system of sorts. Which monsters, well apparently if you mix human and animal, it's rather monsterish, and apparently also both Yuki and Miho are as well, whatever MG and Analogues really are. Then there's the zillas and turtles. Seems all a rather normal hohum sort of thing.

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 pm

I a getting a bit of a Highlander vibe from this and the last comic in combination. It seems fox eats fox eats as many humans as she can/wants... or am I a bit crazy?

maldrul

Post by maldrul » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 pm
I a getting a bit of a Highlander vibe from this and the last comic in combination. It seems fox eats fox eats as many humans as she can/wants... or am I a bit crazy?
There are lots of things attributed to kitsune, Mr *Werebear* (whats your mythos BTW?) such as the ability to create complete 'worlds' made of illusions, soul-stealing, seduction of humans, very long life, battling other youkai, and so on. It's Fred-rins in-comic kitsune mythos that is in question here. :>