IPFS Mirror

apiarian

IPFS Mirror

Post by apiarian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 pm

IPFS (the InterPlanetary File System) is pretty awesome. A content-addressed peer-to-peer data distribution platform. It's under active development and already quite functional. For example this file https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmYkDo912R38BZvU7w ... ENZmKLhbZe should show a nice greeting. That's one of the official public gateways, but you could just as easily get the object referenced by that hash (QmYkDo912R38BZvU7w8t6vcZ8hChZnvvEF45ENZmKLhbZe) from another gateway, a node in Australia, your next door neighbor, or your own local machine. It's resilient to data corruption, servers disappearing, and even censorship (people are apparently using it to distribute the contents of wikipedia in Turkey). Theoretically one could even use it to offset network bandwidth costs by using HTML5 objects with additional img tags.

I'd like to mirror the megatokyo strip images to IPFS. I'd also include them in a sort of "one page with all the images" index. Not knowing what the rules around that sort of thing for megatokyo (not that I could find on the site, anyway), I figured I'd ask here first. Any objections?