Where are you from
I'm getting anxious
I need someone to replace one
So tell me when
You gonna let me in
I really want your love
I need someone to begin

And in the end why really why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only -- Piro ...
This may be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only --- Piro!
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Re: [filk] Somewhere Only Piro

Post by darrin » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am

It's considered polite to put a new work in a new thread for that work.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Sat May 11, 2019 1:09 pm

I'd rather hide it behind yours, cause yours is way better :oops:
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm

[mod note] I split this off into it's own thread.

Nice to see some filks again, and I like them both. Pretty impressed with cidjen doing a filk in english, with it not being his native language and all.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm

:gomen:

Side question: is filk an acronym or something like an idiom related to 'flick'?
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Apparently it started as a typo for "folk", as in "folk music". But being science fiction folks, they naturally liked the typo better, so it stuck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

darrin

Post by darrin » Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

First off I should say I had never heard of Keane, and having listened to the song in question I confess it does not do much for me. I hope that doesn't bias my evaluation of the filk but I am disclosing that to be safe.

I agree completely with what paarfi says above. I did not notice any obvious issues in scansion (occasional variations from the original but the meter there seems pretty flexible to begin with, so again nothing jumped out at me as "wrong"). That, as paarfi notes, is an impressive feat, especially given English's variable stress system, a particular difficulty for someone coming from a language like Polish with (as far as I know) regular stress (penultimate unless I'm misremembering?). Russian for example to this day poses great difficulties for me in terms of stress (irregular but in a very different way from English), so well done there.

Similar comments apply to the word choice and phrasing. While I didn't see anything that really smacked me in the face and made me say "Wow, that's an awesome line," the original for me at least (apologies to Keane fans) seemed a bit on the vapid side, so if anything cidjen's was an improvement there (again possibly bias, as I care more about the MegaTokyo crew than whatever the original is about :lol:). If I had to get down into nit-pick territory, then the rhyme of "together" with itself in the third verse is a bit unfortunate; and I found it slightly odd that the song seems to be from Piro's POV, but at the end he is suggesting she go "somewhere Piro" with him... I'm afraid it reminds me a bit of the cheesy "once you go X you'll never Y" joke.

But I did like the seamless transition from Erika being the object of the song (until she gets "together" with Largo), to it being Kimiko. Not that Piro ever had a thing for Erika but he certainly did seem to go through a lot of confusion of various kinds as he "walk[ed] across otaku land".

So overall, very nice work, thanks for posting it. :D
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 am

darrin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm
First off I should say I had never heard of Keane, and having listened to the song in question I confess it does not do much for me. I hope that doesn't bias my evaluation of the filk but I am disclosing that to be safe.
That's OK, I understand this might be the 'generation' thing.
darrin wrote:
I agree completely with what paarfi says above. [...] so well done there.
:blush: thanks - this I guess mainly came from listening to this song every so often, purely phonetic and rhytmic to the words.
darrin wrote:
I found it slightly odd that the song seems to be from Piro's POV, but at the end he is suggesting she go "somewhere Piro" with him...
The last 2 lines I was imagining Piro having a conversation with Kimiko, him wanting to go somewhere only they know (something like the original song did) and Kimiko first just interrupting '- Piro...' and then shouting '-Piro!' to get him out of the moping zone ;)
darrin wrote:
But I did like the seamless transition from Erika being the object of the song (until she gets "together" with Largo), to it being Kimiko. Not that Piro ever had a thing for Erika but he certainly did seem to go through a lot of confusion of various kinds as he "walk[ed] across otaku land".
The first verse I could not decide whether 'the simple girl' should refer to Yuki or to Kimiko, from the time of the bag, sketchbook and railcard incident.
(Yeah I know, Kimiko is hardly 'simple', but Piro did not know that then, right?)
Piro may not have had a 'thing' for Erika, but he was 'the biggest fan' (there was another comic where Tsubasa says that but I ran out of time trying to find it). And Yuki and her friends thought he came to Japan to see Erika (Yuki even thought they are going out together).
So the verse is vague in this sense, as in, it's not about Erika, but choose your own interpretation ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish