Welcome to the new MegaTokyo Forums! The old forums are available (in read-only mode) at http://archive.forums.megatokyo.com.

Does anyone here still buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

moot

Does anyone here still buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

Post by moot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:32 am

Yeah, it's me. Been busy with a new kid, the day job, and time-wasting gatcha games.

ANYWAY: Does anyone here still buy boxes? I just realised there's new blu-ray box sets for both seasons of Stand Alone Complex. User reviews haven't been great, they largely focus on the use of close-captioned dubtitles for the Japanese track. Anyone here who owns the set, willing to comment?

Or for that matter, does anyone here still buy discs in the age of streaming?

PS I need a place to host an avatar...

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Does anyone here still buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

Post by omoikane » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 am

wow moot, grats on the child.

and i think i occasionally still buy from the occasional right stuf sale. recently picked up genocidal organ because i missed out on the theater run in the states...and a couple back titles because they were cheap at the time (free ship at 50$ i guess). a few ghibli movies have been re-released on bluray by gkids last month, i also bought a couple then...

i don't have any info on the SAC box, other than the one that came out in 2013. It's big and expensive and looks great, just that it doesn't have english subs but it has the dub.

streaming on hulu probably is just as good for my purposes, iono.

Malagate

Re: Does anyone here still buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

Post by Malagate » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:22 pm

I can appreciate the busy with new kid feeling, congrats on finding the time to even do the gatcha games.

I haven't bought DVDs in forever, mostly because I've got a budget to live with (lots of mouthes to feed...) and streaming is just so convenient...I might be tempted if there's something I'd really want to keep, like when I got the whole set of Cowboy Bebop oh so long ago.