What are you watching Q4 2017

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

What are you watching Q4 2017

Post by omoikane » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Oh hey I remembered
Last post

What anime/manga/etc are you watching/reading etc this quarter?

An early Happy New Years if I forget.

What am I watching....

Old:
Re-Creators just ended and I am still a few eps from finishing?
Gamers was a thing
PriPri Chichan is still going
Fate Apocrypha...probably will catch up later
Knights magic was good
Centaur's life was good (for MTF)
Classroom of the Elite is dumb except for the mysteries
Isekai Smartphone is lol bad
Tsuredure children is OK, short and concise are its strengths
RIP Sakura Quest
Princess Principal... need to finish
Ballroom...need to catch up, guess I have next season to do so as well
GF is a Gal - I'm okay with this cheese
Isekai Japanese Eating place - Want texmex version
Need to catch up on Maide in Abyss
Nora Stray Cat ep6 is great
Need to catch up on Guru Guru
Tenshi no 3P was fine, really. I'm also not a lolicon

New:
Osomatsu e1 is just OK in my book. See above Nora anime
Cingeki resumes
SideM anime is great, Jupiter episode was too good but I think a lot of people won't get it
Urahara is interesting for now
Blade Runner anime was yawn

lots of hot takes to come i guess

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: What are you watching Q4 2017

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 am

Food Wars is solid as always.

Black Clover is on the 3 ep watchlist. Asta's VA must've watched way too much DBZ as a kid...... :roll:

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:02 pm

More 1st ep impressions......

Imouto sae Ireba Ii. is mostly trash. On a short leash.

Kekkai Sensen S2 Is as crazy and fun to watch as always.....

Just Because is really laid back. Could be really good or garbage, hard to tell at this point.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:42 pm

The Beautiful World and The Ancient Magus' Bride are both done very well, but there's something missing to me, at least for right now.

Net-juu no Susume Doesn't do much for me, either. Giving it 3.......

Girls' Last Tour has the potential to be really good.......

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:04 pm

IM@S Side M - Does the M stand for mid life crisis? I wonder how they are going to share the screentime around. I think there's more characters than 765. One of the Dramatic Stars looks way too much like one of the Free! dudes and I can't stop making the connection. I enjoyed episode 0 a lot but not too feeling it after that.

Kino's Journey - I certainly do not remember the original much at this point so I welcome this.

Kekkai Sensen Beyond - The same sorta fun boisterous messiness it was in the first season.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - Oddly relaxing despite the depressing setting.

Inuyashiki - Interesting thus far.

URAHARA - Didn't really catch me, unsure if I will keep going.

Ancient Magus' Bride - The OP seems kinda out of place. It works, but it as someone who is reading the manga it doesn't feel like it is adding much to my second experience of the tale.

Konohana Kitan - Cute but bland despite the fantastical setting. I think I've been through too many of these types of shows.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Enjoyed the first season, looks like I'll enjoy the second.

3gatsu Lion - Starting off oddly positive.

Ballroom - Still enjoying this.

Fate/Apocrypha
- Why am I still watching this?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

3-gatsu is great as always, though I'm missing the BoC Op and Ed. I know this show has the potential to be one of my personal all-timers, so hoping Shaft will deliver.

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 pm

While the BoC OP was great, I still associate the art with H&C which had YUKI OPs. Feels fitting that she came back for another of Chica's adaptations.

Too bad BoC didn't make a return on Kekkai Sensen.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Agree. DAOKO and Yasuyuki Okamura are Ok, but I keep getting Space Dandy flashbacks. At least Unison Square Garden made an appearance.

Haven't had a chance to watch all of H&C yet........

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Dropped Imouto. Nayu was awesome, but she couldn't save this show. Really poor writing, and unlikable characters.(Except for Nayu.)

Black Clover (Predictable plot, Asta character too annoying) and Just Because(slow, boring characters) are on life support, and probably will be dropped next.

The Beautiful World is also sleep inducing, though Kino and the talking motorcycle(weird) are OK.

I don't know what to make of Inuyashiki yet; it is rather dark, though. Lot of CGI, too.

The Ancient Magus' Bride is getting better. The overall pace is still slow, but the story and characters are decent.

Net-juu no Susume is the average anime that I like, for some reason. Can't explain it, just like it.

Food Wars and Kekkai Sensen S2 are still solid.........

Still continuing Yokai Apartment; not sure how they are going to resolve the current arc, though. Kinda jumbled up.

Girls' Last Tour is good; this is a case where monotony works. Their world looks like a steampunk version of Cybertron at times, though.

3 gatsu is going to go into feels overdrive sonn; can't wait!

Recently added is Land of the Lustrous; has lots of CGI, plot is kinda meh, but it has several of my favorite VAs in it. Having Ai Kayano and Ayane Sakura go back and forth as Diamond and Bort is a treat.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:12 am

Did go ahead and drop Just Because, at least for now. I have a feeling this is one of those shows you can skip through pretty quick and not miss much. Photography girl is the only interesting character of the lot; most of the rest of them are a bunch of dried dog turds. Pacing is glacial, too.

damaskrose

Post by damaskrose » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 pm

I am enduring the slow pacing Black Clover is giving. Waited until ep.4 for the adaptation of manga's chapter 2 the Magic Knight exam. I don't know why they did 2 episodes full of bland flashback and training sequence. Though I think they're trying to give us more insight of why Asta and Yuno want to become a Magic Emperor which the 2 filler-like episodes didn't do justice.

Content-wise, Juuni Taisen is my favorite right now. Although I know it is a royal battle of some sort and the other zodiacs are inevitably going to die, I can't stop watching this series because I want to know why they participated in that war and how they will meet their demise. Plus I'm a little biased with this one since the novel was written by Nisio Isin of Monogatari Series, Medaka Box, and Zaregoto which I really love.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying Shokugeki no Soma Third Plate. Can't say much about this but the wait for this season is actually worth it. :D
Current Project: Off-road recovery truck | Toyo tires and Suspension Lift kit installation.

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 am

Only watching Shokugeki.... cooking show. It's not bad.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Developing a serious love/hate thing with Inuyashiki; lots of cringe-worthy moments(the cancer rate in Japan must be astronomical), but the character Inuyashiki himself is great. CGI isn't bad.

Shaft is seriously delivering on 3-Gatsu..... :!:

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Still watching the same stuff; did check Imouto to see if it was any better. Nope. The other shows i dropped I can keep up by scanning the reviews, and I'm still glad I dropped them.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:29 pm

oh my hot takes are now cold D:

Top tier:
Imosae is my favorite anime this season bar none.
sideM is awesome for producers of all stripes, not sure about everyone else.
Kino is good for just being something very easy to watch, can't say the content is good or bad...
Soma is always a delight, a modern shonen battle story.
Netjuu for being the soul food anime this season
Just Because tickles me, but I'm actually on catch-up mode. Animation is great though...
12 Taisen is fun, Nisioisin filtered by some production value so it's not that annoying...

Middling:
Blend-S - The fanservice is top notch, but I hope they lean into that shipping stuff which made Working compelling.
Girls' last tour - it's a curious piece but I'm not up to date so can't say much otherwise... i like the idea but not the characters (yet?).
Urahara - high concept but execution is too drab, unlike the design of the show.
Kekkai sensen - it's going into "same o same o" territory which means it's great for fans but so so for everyone else
Magus's Bride - All the hype, but turns out to be kind of boring and too self-important.
Konohana kitan - I like it but more for seiyuu and cute being cute, otherwise sort of just okay. Tho if it can produce episodes like last week's consistently it would get promoted.
Houseki no Kuni - Would be higher tier if not for the most uzai kurosawa tomoyo ever, and the story is just kind of silly even half way through?
Anime-gataris - big bang theory the anime

Not good:
WUG new series - production problems are bad, but the script is okay?
Two-car - it's not that bad, but yeah who would watch this show? other than me? or yuri fanatics? Or people actually into the sport?
Ousama game - lol what is this trash

Unranked:
Pri Pri Chi-chan still delivers. The Rietion anime.
Cingeki S2 was fun. I liked this week's episode, which is how they should do all their radio programs...

Paused:
Fate Acrophya - yawn
Ballroom - my tolerance for long necks has been stretched to the limit, but also the plot is kind of boring.
Mahojin Guruguru - wanted to marathon but didn't get the time over Thanksgiving so welp.

Dropped:
Probably osomatsu S2. When I saw that first episode I knew it was time to call it quits, and the subsequent episodes played out my expectations. You can't go over the top the same way twice. Open to coming back to this show if it gets better though...

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am

I agree, Phos is probably the worst character on Kuni, even after the big personality flip.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHwkaoRq26M
the okada mari movie...such animation

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 am

Oh, boy.... Okada and P.A......here we go.......... :cry:

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 pm

omoikane wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHwkaoRq26M
the okada mari movie...such animation
Daaaaaannnng

moot

Post by moot » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 am

Just Osomatsu-san S2. Brains too tired every night to process anything more substantial.

And just started to watch Knights of Sidonia. Attack on Titan vibes, but I like the hard sci-fi aspect.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 am

moot wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 am

And just started to watch Knights of Sidonia. Attack on Titan vibes, but I like the hard sci-fi aspect.
I hope you'll like the awkward harem romance vibe later on too. Sidonia is a solid, but I never got around to season 2...not sure if I'm really missing much besides fodder for best girl discussions.

Malagate

Post by Malagate » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm glad omoikane is watching all these, saves me some time in finding something new and decent to watch.

I've just been catching up on old series rather than watching anything new in the this actual season, such as binge watching Hyouka a couple of weeks ago (low energy highschooler solves very mundane mysteries, I liked it a lot). Of course that's just one season and the story isn't over, it would be nice to see something that has a definitive and satisfying ending rather than being part one of X (next installment coming Soon/Later/Never).

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 pm

This season is pretty much done; Watched most of the last episodes of Just Because and Imouto, and I'm glad I skipped the rest of the eps....

Girls' Last Tour was pretty monotonous, except for the last ep, which brought out more questions than it answered. It was OK, over all.

Yokai Apartments could've been a lot better than it was, but it got itself too caught up in high school drama.

Kino's Journey had some strange storytelling, but the animation was good. Watchable.

Land of the Lustrous didn't have much in the way of plot, and it also had too many characters for proper development, mut the characters' simplistic lines made for CGI that looked good.

Inuyashiki, was pretty lame, and the ending was predictable, but like Lustrous, had the CGI going for it.

Magus' Bride improved as the season went along, and if it continues to improve over the second cour, will be one of the best shows of Winter.

I was surprised that Soma split the cours, which could cause it to lose some momentum, but it should remain pretty strong.

Net-juu no Susume was a lot of fun, even though there was too many convenient coincidences in it.

3B&B (or should it be called 4B?) was just 20+ minutes every week were you just suspend logic, and just roll with it. Lotsa fun!

3 Gatsu no Lion- AOTY.