Anime Toys 2019

Murren

Anime Toys 2019

Post by Murren » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 am

Received my first anime figurine - not bad for $10!! Given that I was expecting my first anime figurine was going to be $100 or $150, I figured I might as well take the shot and see how this one is. I'm happy with it. I mean geez, for $10 the quality is amazing. Maybe someday I'll buy a $150 Takane figurine or something, but it'll probably be a while before I have enough money to where I feel justified spending that much on a figurine. Anyway, below is my new figurine - Nitta Minami from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls - pretty much my all time favorite character.

Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

DaRk_KnIgHt

Re: Anime Toys 2019

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 am

Prize figures tend to be el cheapo, but their price is proportional to their quality. They typically don't compare to proper stuff and might as well be molten wax in the face of high end brands like Alter. There is a nice variety though, I actually like the concept of a number of them, like the Takagaki Kaede one where she's sat on a cushion with her boots off. But I'm too spoiled by the more expensive well made stuff.

I started the hobby with far worse stuff, trading figures. Which are basically tiny prize figures with even worse worksmanship when you boil it down.

I wish there were nicer Takane figures out there. Cinderella Girls have decent attention but the core 765 don't have much going for them besides Phat's anime DVD cover line. The Takane in that set turned out a bit iffy and the translucent hair didn't quite work out. It is quite cheap on the aftermarket though.
It's not too bad but I think it could've used painted hair.

There's the Freeing Y-Style Yukata Takane but I'm overall not that big a fan of Freeing.

The new Takane figure coming out in the purple dress looks nice until you get to the face which really looks all sorts of dodgy. It's definitely somewhat overpriced for what it is and knead is pretty much a new figure brand so I don't really know how they are quality wise.

If you do have any intention of getting into the hobby, I would advise not to get too many cheap prize figures. Figures, cheap or expensive pretty much occupy heaps of space. Unless you have absurd amounts of shelf space, it's pretty much better to use your limited real estate for better looking stuff! I know of people who got carried away with the cheap stuff, cause well when they are like $10... then they move up to better stuff and can't find space for the old cheap stuff and can't bear to just toss them out. And they pretty much have little to no resale value. My old trading figures are probably leaking plasticizer in my cupboard somewhere.

I haven't been buying too much as of late. I used to keep quite a veritable display at my workplace but I've switched jobs a few times since and my new workplaces don't really have much real estate which has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm. Also everything is just more expensive nowadays. The price of a nice basic standing figure nowadays costs as much as something nice + gaudy ridiculous stand + ridiculous accessories from 5 years ago. My country's currency also isn't doing that hot so cost issues have seriously been compounded.

I picked these two up somewhere close to the end of last year.

Got this not too long ago. Seriously way too expensive. I thought my anniversary princess Ranko was going to be the most expensive thing I ever bought, but stuff at that price range is just... normal nowadays.

I need to stop buying so many Tamamo/Nero figures....

Murren

Post by Murren » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 am

DaRk_KnIgHt wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:49 am
Prize figures tend to be el cheapo, but their price is proportional to their quality. They typically don't compare to proper stuff and might as well be molten wax in the face of high end brands like Alter. There is a nice variety though, I actually like the concept of a number of them, like the Takagaki Kaede one where she's sat on a cushion with her boots off. But I'm too spoiled by the more expensive well made stuff. [clip]

I wish there were nicer Takane figures out there. Cinderella Girls have decent attention but the core 765 don't have much going for them besides Phat's anime DVD cover line. The Takane in that set turned out a bit iffy and the translucent hair didn't quite work out. It is quite cheap on the aftermarket though. [clip]

If you do have any intention of getting into the hobby, I would advise not to get too many cheap prize figures. Figures, cheap or expensive pretty much occupy heaps of space. Unless you have absurd amounts of shelf space, it's pretty much better to use your limited real estate for better looking stuff! I know of people who got carried away with the cheap stuff, cause well when they are like $10... then they move up to better stuff and can't find space for the old cheap stuff and can't bear to just toss them out. And they pretty much have little to no resale value. My old trading figures are probably leaking plasticizer in my cupboard somewhere. [clip]
Thanks for the tips! I appreciate them, as shelf space and desk space are definitely a limited commodity for me, and I don't have really any experience with figurines. Regarding the comment about aftermarket prices for that Takane figure (or any figure), what (if any) website(s) are good places to find aftermarket/used items, (for someone like myself who speaks English and does not know Japanese)?

Edit: oh, I found one on ebay for $67.99. I'm guessing that's what you were referring to. (Unless there are other websites as well)
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 am

Ebay can be unreliable and home to scams and bootlegs so I wouldn't advise it.

https://www.mandarake.co.jp/
This is my go to for second hand figures. It has an English page and does do international shipping.

Amiami also has a second hand section. I typically stick to these two.

Check out buyfag.moe if you want a comprehensive guide on getting into the hobby. IIRC it should go through the various retailers and also gets into the caveats for shipping to certain places such as taxes and whatnot.

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... at&lang=en
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcod ... E-009919-R
The Takane figure I have is available on both.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-047264
This was the new purple dress one by knead I rambled on about somewhere. It's not out yet but is available for pre-order. Sometimes you want to pre-order stuff cause they can sell out quickly and amiami generally offers a discount. Scalpers sometimes buy up stock to resell. Though sometimes other figures bin like hell. This would've been a sure buy for me if the face was better made.