Thoughts of 2018?

Yl33 D4 N00b

Thoughts of 2018?

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 am

To me, this year was weaker overall than most; all the popular titles were pretty much standard fare, with nothing truly amazing. Even Steins; Gate 0, although pretty good, paled next to its' predecessor. However, there were a few really good shows.

My favorite 5:

Yuru Camp: This show connected to me on an emotional level; I think getting away from it all(even if it means freezing your ass off, as they did) has always appealed to me, and the production team did a top-notch job of presenting it. It looked good, it sounded good, the characters were great, and it never failed to make me smile. Most importantly, they didn't try to do too much with it, thereby ruining the premise of the title itself.

Hi Score Girl: This was the biggest surprise of the year for me; why did they almost ruin it with CGI? I didn't even think at the beginning that I would make it through the three eps, but then the writing, the characters, the essence of this show shone through. If it weren't for the CGI, it would be my #1, probably a 10 for me.

Megalo Box: This was a lot of fun, and didn't pull many punches(did I just say that? :roll: ). Once I got past the premise of a dude fighting against guys enhanced with machines without any kind of assistance, and winning(well, duh), it was great. The overall gritty look to it helped a lot, too.

Golden Kamuy: I have never seen a crazy-assed show that was so intense and fun at the same time. If you are just a so-so character on this show, chances are you're going to die in that episode. Ignore the CGI bears, and just roll with it, IMO.

Wokatoi: Shows about/with grown otaku are being more commonplace now, but this one has them actually being successful. Arisa Date's work as Momose's VA was one of my favorites this year.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Thoughts of 2018?

Post by omoikane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:38 pm

It was a good year overall.
I finally saw Liz and the Blue Bird and this is the movie Kyoani is born to make.
Emiya cooks is always a soothing thing in a world full of turnmoil
Gridman was fun
Planet With was more fun
Pop Team Epic has a special I should go watch soon...
Grancrest Wars is surprisingly good, and even the animation had its moments.
Zombie Land Saga is the surprise hit of the year IMO.
I enjoyed Iroduku a lot (or however you localize the name), it is classic PA Works formula but is really good at the end...
Yuru Camp is a crowd pleaser (but please camp in winter at your own risk...)
Revue Starlight is another surprise hit
Rascal Bunny Aobuta is a good way to carry over to passive aggressive third season, but it is good on its own right. Basically a better adopted Bakemonogatari lol.

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am

I find it so hard to think of a year as a year. Since I mostly think of seasons and barely remember seasons beyond the previous one. I thought S;G0 was utter arse though and wish I never gave it the time of day.

Yuru Camp was definitely the bee's knees.

Didn't actually like DarliFranxx that much but the 4chan threads were fun.

FMP came back! I'm not sure if this was a good thing though!

Gundam Build Divers like Fighters Try doesn't really live up to the first Fighters.

There was a new Basilisk but I dropped it somewhere and it was pretty bad.

Gridman was one of those things I looked forward to every week. Yet don't care too much about now that it's over.

Zombie Land Saga was great.

I liked Revue Starlight a lot better when I first started it and largely was rather ambivalent towards the end.

Sure enjoyed me some Thunderbolt Fantasy 2. THE LAND IS CLOAKED IN DEEPEST BLUE! May Urobuchi just stick to more puppet shows.

Definitely watched a lot of other shit but don't really have particularly strong feelings about everything else.

akasaka19

Post by akasaka19 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 am

Notable anime I've seen on 2018 for me are Card Captor Sakura Clear Card Arc, SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online, and Koi Wa Ameagari No You Ni. My Hero Academia is good too but I like the Sports Festival arc better.
Finally got my ARE fusion tonneau cover. Time to secure some of my travel cargo from parking lot theft.