What are you Watching/Reading Q3 2018

Yl33 D4 N00b

What are you Watching/Reading Q3 2018

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:48 am

Just continuing MHA, so far. Only thing on my to do list is Overlord 3. Rest of the season looks pretty weak. Maybe I'll catch up on my backlog......

DaRk_KnIgHt

Re: What are you Watching/Reading Q3 2018

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Can't say I'm all too impressed by next season's lineup.

Yama no Susume 3 - Glad to see this back.
Grand Blue - Checking it out based on the fact I liked the manga.
Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger - Sounds way too chuu2 but it's a PA Works original so I'll give it a look at least.
Free! Dive to the Future - I never actually liked Free that much but I've yet to skip anything Kyoani yet. I'll at least leave it on in the background while I play mobile games.
Planet With - Noticed its created by the guy who wrote Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. A manga I heard many good things about and I planned on reading but never did. But well, this season's looking pretty dry and I like giving anime originals a look.

I'll be continuing MHA, SG;0 and Juushinki Pandora from last season.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Well, based off of what I could see and get my hands on, not much looks promising.

But I am going to see if the following are any good.

Hanebadoi: It sounds as utterly gratuitous as Keijo was. I doubt I'll make it four episodes. But at least it has cute girls in bikinis. That manages to beat out 90% of the offerings available to me via Cruchyroll and Funimation. ... And boy is that a sad comment.

Harukana Receives: I'm not normally into sports anime. But there was just something about a clip a friend showed me that caught my attention. I'll give it four episodes and see what happens.

Island: I have no idea what is going on in this one. And that, given this season's offerings, will have to be enough.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Banana Fish: Ehh, I don't know about this one. Might give it 2 more eps. Or one.

Also finished Franxx. Gave me the warm fuzzies. </sarcasm>

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Okay, after watching the first episode of each, the three I have selected seem better than I expected.

Harukana Receives: Yes, there's a lot of closeups of bikini clad boobs and butts. But there seems to be a real, sober plot forming in it that already has me curious about what has happened in the past.

Hanebadoi: Good GOD... there are some intense people here. The tension in this is explosive!

Island: I have even less idea what's going on than when I started. And now I really want to figure it out.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Got Habebadoi and Harukana Receives titles backwards. It's fixed now.
Last edited by Sareth on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Hanebado! is good in some places, others not so much. I'm going to watch a few eps, and hopefully, the characters will sort themselves out.

Didn't get past the opening credits on Planet With, and Asobi Asobase lasted a whole three or four minutes. The rest of them doesn't even look good enough to pique my curiosity......

Skulkraken

Post by Skulkraken » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online was great. Totally worth watching all the way to the end. Please let there be another season...

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 am

Planet With - I'm kinda okay with it but at the same time not exactly impressed. Was kinda falling asleep at the end of the first episode but I was kinda tired after coming back from a wedding.

Satsuriku no Tenshi - Hahaha no.

Asobi Asobase - I thought this was going to just be some typical unremarkable cute girls doing cute girls. Especially when it opened up with those pastel colours, I thought it was going to be the relaxing boring sort of show. Instead I got some pretty outlandish humour with absolute mental case characters. I am okay with this.

Banana Fish - Interested enough to keep going.

Hataraku Saibou - I was greatly amused at the white blood cells being violent combat knife wielding janitors who go around shanking germs. But I don't really have confidence in the lasting power of the concept. I'll keep watching anyway. It might just be the next ServantxService with a bizarro setting.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 am

Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki is okay so far, characters are one dimensional, hopefully they'll flesh out as time goes on.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Watched the first ep of Grand Blue. It's triying to be a cross between Animal House and Amanchu, but it's not funny, and I don't like the characters.

High Score Girl is another show where all the characters are losers, or just strange, or both. Also seems to be a commercial for the 30th anniversary of Street Fighter. On a short leash.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:22 am

Last season.... here.

What I finished:
Megalobox - I liked this. Not my jam but it managed to have some soul I think.
Hinamatsuri - Great fun. Maji tenshi rietion.
GGO is great fun. But at some level isn't this just watching esports. Well, watching people watching esports.
Gurazeni ended well. Good stuff.
Umamusume is over so I can make more horse jokes now. It lacked steam towards the end but I think it was fine...
FMP:IV production hell D:
Comic Girls - A very somber sort of anime that reminds me of some of the mangaka's vibes that I've seen or talked to. Depicting them as cute girls is almost a distraction here.
New LOGH - It's alright.
Golden kamuy - This is a western.
Crossing time - eroi
Grancrest Senki - It manages to capture the big picture aspect well.
Food Wars (best food anime every season when it's on)

Need to catch up on...probably not all these but...
S;G:0
Last Period
P5A
Caligula
Real Girl
You don't know gunma yet
Card Captor Hoee
Amanchu
Alice or Alice

Still watching:
Akkun to Kanojo
Darifra - just at the last ep now.

New:
Grand Blue - It's okay, funny enough. It's stupid without being too stupid I guess.
Hyakusomething something norse - Really here just for Sugii's over the top fanservice voice acting, but at least there is less slavery yet?
How to not - make a bad anime lolol. I might stick with this because at least it doesn't have a cell phone.
Hanebad - It's good
Harukana Receive - It's good, also why do people talk about good looking women in swimsuits as if it's bad? Like, what kind of terrible bias is that?
Asobi Asobase - It's good surrealism for comedy, but...
Chio's School Road - it's funnier than Asobi I think.
Angolmois - What, and this is so zzz
Ongaku Shoujo - Nice anime
Cells at work - I hope it keeps it on the basic level of various bodily features at work
Tonegawa - LOL
Revue Starlight - It's Star Driver x Idols. Also p. good!

Old:
Overlord - I guess so
Encouragement of Climb - love the ED
Cingeki
One Room - Did I even finish the first one...

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:07 am

Finally getting around to watching Steins Gate, since there's not a whole lot new worthwhile to watch. It's not bad, it ambles a lot, but I've read that it picks up significantly later on, so I'm hopeful.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Steins Gate doesn't get going until after the half way point. I have some reservation continuing zero...

Also, Toji no Miko. Did anyone watch the second half and is it even close to the first half quality-wise?

Finally got around to Planet With, and it's surprisingly good...as in compelling. Don't really know if I like the "robots" in this anime, they feel too weirdly put together. It's been a while when I last watched a psychological-style giant robots show.

Almost finished Last Period, solid anime pretty much the whole way. This is the anime Cygames need to beat.

Old_Gray_One

Post by Old_Gray_One » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Island: Still trying to figure out where this one is going.
Dropkick on my devil: Silly, slap-stick fun.
Angels of Death: Why does Rachael want to be killed?
Yama no Susume 3: Another season of cute girls climbing mountains cutely. (Did I mention they were cute?)
Happy sugar life: Psycho JK in love with cute girl. Surrounded by other psychos.
How not to summon a demon lord: Trashy fun.

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 am

Tsukumogami Kashimasu - Looks and sounds more interesting than it actually is. That opening theme seems really out of place.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Caught up on Island... visual novel anime in 2018 is a rarity so it's a bit nice I guess.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:42 am

Enjoyed Steins;Gate; well written, and executed excellently. I know that this probably has been discussed many times on forums everywhere, but on a slightly different timeline, this could have been a harem.....now, on the 0......

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Read vol. 5 of "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected", light novel. I don't usually think much of light novels, but this one is much better than average. Similar to my highschool self, except for the 2 beautiful clubmates.

I would also like an opinion on the 2nd half of "Toji no Miko". I was astonished to see a 2nd season & wonder if it's worth watching.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Steins;Gate 0 spends a lot more time mucking aimlessly about that the original, but it's still superior to everything that came out this summer.

Dropped Hanebado!; too many over the top antagonists, and too much angst and whining.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:16 pm

mmm dunno how this is gonna be received here since it's not strictly-speaking manga ;) 'cuz it's Korean.

But, The Gamer. It got into top 10 of Mangarock. And the topic is kinda cool (from MT perspective too). Moving on?

MHA is OK by me but UQ Holder! is better. MHA Illegals, is slightly less serious take and cool.

Also reading : Yokai Girls, High-rize Invasion, Love and Lies (not necessarily in order of preference here).

MouTele went on hiatus. TCIAG replaced it :)

I could also quickly list a few manhuas GOMA, Apotheosis, Peerless Dad, Battle through the heavens + prequel, MSXD but I won't :)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:16 pm
mmm dunno how this is gonna be received here since it's not strictly-speaking manga ;) 'cuz it's Korean.
For what it's worth some of my favorite ones have been Korean... I thought "Friendly Winter" was gorgeous (both drawings and story). "Can't See Can't Hear But Love" was in some ways a more cliched story, but despite that I felt really drawn in to the characters. Possibly I just haven't looked at many Korean ones and have gotten really lucky on the few I tried (oh yeah ReLife, that was kinda weird but interesting). I have a vague feeling though that I may have started a few Korean ones, said "meh, another high school romance but not particularly interesting" and then dropped + forgot it. New Normal Class 8, that's Korean too isn't it? Really like that one, ridiculously funny in a lot of places. :D Those first three are finished but I think New Normal is still going.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 pm

ReLIFE is Korean? That's a new one...... ;)

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:19 am

Watched AnoHana. Did not cry. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but the end was overdone. The ED was awesome.

darrin

Post by darrin » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 pm
ReLIFE is Korean? That's a new one...... ;)
Yah I think I was misremembering on that one.

EDIT:
Ah, there was one that I am sure was Korean (based on characters' names) that I had seen a week or so ago, a couple are fighting to the point of divorce and then "wake up" in their bodies of ten years ago or whatever back in high school; decide to "split" this time around yet keep stalking each other. I was a few chapters in when I thought "gah, ReLife was a lot better" and dropped it. Not that that really explains (let alone excuses) the mixup but I must have had a bad flag set in my head somewhere. Cosmic rays as they say. :roll:
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Haven't been able to keep up with some shows. I've kinda just completely lost interest in Planet With and Banana Fish after 2 episodes. Can't even muster the effort to leave Free! on. I think all I'm watching is Chio, Asobi, Hataraku Saibou and Yama. Well I am watching S;G0 but I kinda forget that I'm watching it, that's how dull I find it.

I did manage to start Revue Starlight. I expected Theaterm@ster but got Star Driver instead. I'm not so sure about the whole girls melodrama that I feel I've been through more than a few times already, but I do enjoy my flashy underground musical sword fights.

Also started Tenrou Sirius the Jaeger finally. Forgot this show existed. It's quite enjoyable. These sorta actioney shows are quite rare in this day and age. Getting some Night Raid vibes, except this is a lot better. The whole vampire thing is definitely reminiscent of Blood(not C).