VRV and Crunchyroll

Sareth

VRV and Crunchyroll

Post by Sareth » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 pm

So I'm starting to grab my next season's selection of shows to watch, and have noticed something. Even though I am subscribed to Crunchyroll via VRV, I can't seem to find A Centaur's Life in VRV. Does anyone know if Crunchyroll is holding it back from VRV or somesuch? I haven't run into this issue before with VRV.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

jkhartl

Re: VRV and Crunchyroll

Post by jkhartl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 pm

My guess is that it has not premiered yet. I have a premium membership. It’s on the list of new simulcast titles and you can add it to your queue but it is not yet on the release calendar.
I used to be 4'33" but I had forbidden characters.
ImageImageImage

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 am

The first episode of Centaur's life airs in Japan on July 9th. I have no idea about Crunchy stuff but obviously it needs to be released in some form first.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Ah! Thanks!

E-l337

Post by E-l337 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Can we hijack this into a "let's discuss the merits of VRV and Crunchy"? Because that's what I'm proposing.

As a guy who's been subbed to Crunchy for about a year and a half now, I'm really disappointed in the service. Their release calendar doesn't update until the day before something airs, and sometimes not even then (negating the point of even having one in the first place!), they don't tell you what shows will be airing in the next season until a week before the season starts (if you're lucky!), and half the time the streams break because everything is held together with chewing gum and twine.

Then they started pushing this VRV service, which I've heard a lot of mixed things about. Personally I'm not fond of it already because they made a big deal about having a partnership with Funimation - a great thing mind you - and then turning around and saying "oh hey but if you pay for this *other* service you can get the same great access to all the anime you already have access to... but pay a little bit more per month for?"

I guess what I'm asking is, compared to Crunchy, is VRV still shit? Because I've seriously been contemplating cancelling my crunchy subscription to go back to The Old Ways due to how terrible Crunchy has been overall. I'd almost rather go back to Hulu at this point...

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm a bit peculiar, I suppose, so my experiences and needs probably don't match those of most folk. I tend to watch my anime on my phone when I'm out and about (Former truck driver turned school bus driver. I watch things whenever I am parked, waiting.) For my VRV is quite convenient because it does pack several services into a single app that's easily monitored (Crunchyroll, Funimation, Roosterteeth, and Tested all carry things I watch). It's a one shop stop for me.

It does come with some costs. First, and most aggravating to me, is language choices. If I can choose between English and Japanese on a Funimation show through the Funimation website, I can't do that in VRV. I'm stuck with the default. Sometimes they overcome this by posting subs and dubs as separate seasons, but it's a bit clunky of a workaround that way. Also, sorting is a frightmare. I tend to keep the shows I've completed in my list for reference purposes (and the occasional "let's watch that again!"). Me being the anal sod I am, I like to keep the archive organized alphabetically. The With Crunchyroll I could click and drag things into place. Two seconds, done. VRV, the only way to organize on the list is to watch 30 seconds of a show to get it to the top of the watch list, then do the same on the next one in the order, then the next one, then... After this last season ended it took me almost two hours to get things sorted.

Of course, Funimation tends to not do simulcasting, whereas Crunchyroll does, and VRV simply pulls those feeds, so you're stuck with those quirks.

So yeah, I hear your pain. It seems every service has some way to basically not be very user friendly.