What are you Watching/Reading Q2 2018

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

What are you Watching/Reading Q2 2018

Post by omoikane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 pm

last quarter
What anime/manga/etc are you watching/reading etc?

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: What are you Watching/Reading Q2 2018

Post by omoikane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Copypasta from that other thread, but in usual manner...

Tier A:
Megalobox - retro in the meta as in, retro in a way old anime was, rather than how things were? iono. A lot of fun, and was fairly engaging despite the snail's pace.
Hinamatsuri - comedy done right.
GGO:SAO::Railgun:Index
Gurazeni - My soul food this season. Too bad it didn't come out last season because now it runs up against actual baseball viewing.
Umamusume - Definitely the dark horse of this season. Might be the only horse joke I make in the next 3 months.

Tier B:
FMP:IV - I never really liked FMP, even though it was fun and enjoyable, despite flaws. The series still peaked at fumoffu and this is at least a bit more cinematic than Kyoani's version.
Wotakoi - I hope the manga is good because actually this anime disappoints me, like, just go rewatch Nigehaji or something. However it's probably worth recommending to all the normal people/riajuus to watch this instead of remembering what densha otoko was. Or god forbid, BBT. It does represent a generational shift.
S;G:0 - LOL. I do miss this cast, so I'll stick around.
Last Period -: Trash asian mmorpg/socialge nonsense is fun, maybe stick around a bit
P5A - It's pretty at least. I didn't play the game so this will be a challenge.
Caligula - Sad it airs the same season as P5A, but it scratches that trashy Chiyomaru SF itch better than SG:0 or P5A.
Comic Girls - Wears self-awareness on its sleeves but nobody gets it unless you are into manga I guess. I sure kinda don't.
GBD - Feel let down compared to GBF, but hopefully they'll move past the mobage setting and into something worthwhile story-wise. Also, really kids oriented this time, which doesn't help unless it ratchet up the whacky factor more. Not a knock against 00 Gundam but where's my windmill srsly.
Mahoushoujo Ore - It's okay, not sure if I will stick with it if it is a really shoujo-y tropy kind of thing.
new LOGH - It's okay! I think it's not as bad as I thought. Which is not saying much.
Golden kamuy - Not sure what to think tbh, but first episode was compelling. And now I get the meme.
Real Girl - Surprisingly better than expected, that said I also didn't expect much...

Tier C:
You don't know gunma yet - only funny if you already knew gunma.
Isekai Izakaya - If someone made an anime about how good Budweiser tasted with buffalo wings, I don't think anyone is gonna watch it. But this anime is almost literally that. Too bad it comes with this awesome live action part...so I felt compelled to watch. Maybe I'll just skip.

Others:
Magical Girls site: who is streaming this?
Tiramisu: This is okay
Crossing time: This is okay
Alice or Alice: I guess nekopara got an anime
Akkun to Kanojo: My Sweet Tyrant is my seiyuu duty this season. Good job nontan!
I did watch that ep of DxD and I'm like, uh.

Continue:
Grancrest Senki
Card Captor Hoee
Food Wars (best food anime every season when it's on)
Amanchu
Darifra

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Oops, I posted this on the thread I started. Magical Girl Site is on Amazon Prime Video.

To me, Wotakoi is a variation of Recovery of an MMO Junkie. Just a surface riajuu here...... :lol:

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Guess I'll just pasta my thoughts with some alterations.

Watching

Hinamatsuri - It looks nice and is well animated, but the comedic timing feels somewhat off. It is still fun to watch, but not like laugh out funny. Maybe it is because I've already done the manga but the pace and certain facial expressions aren't making it through.

Amanchu Advance! - Nice to see Minori Suzuki of Macross Delta Freyja Wion get more songs. Hopefully she keeps it up instead of sputtering out and vanishing like Megumi did. But back on topic, it's more of the same old. It's alright. Comfy. Kinda needs more diving.

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi - I thought it was going to be Isekai Shokudou + Natsume Yuujinchou but instead I got an otome game adaptation. Only it isn't an otome game adaptation but is a light novel adaptation. It's kinda a flakey shoujo type show with a lot of the usual tropes, but I find it amusing enough to watch. Needs more cooking.

Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2 - Same old, still entertaining.

Gundam Build Divers - It isn't quite hitting the same notes with me as the first Build Fighters. While I don't mind VR gunpla battles, seriously who cares about the context as long as I get my fanservice dream matchups. I'm not sure about the whole MMO setting. Losing Yasuda for the character designs also makes me a bit sad. Three episodes later and I'm not quite feeling it. Is it a Build thing now to have a mysterious silver girl? I just want some hot blooded rivalries and gunpla battles, not whatever the hell they are currently doing with MISSIONS and nonsense. Though the current plot leaning to GAME HACKERS is something I can relate to.

Hisone to Masotan - Pleasant surprise. Decided to give it a shot after seeing a regurgitating gif. Interested enough to see where this goes.

Hero Academia - More of the same old, a comforting way to end a Sunday.

Golden Kamuy - I like the concept but by god it looks so cheap and bad. Those bears jesus. Maybe I should read the manga instead, which to my knowledge as some excellent art. Ainu girl keeps reminding me of Otoyomegatari.

Wotakoi - Is it just me or does Kabakura feel miscast? I kinda imagined someone rougher like Seki rather than Sugita who I feel sounds too smooth for him. I don't mind watching more of this but at the same time it doesn't quite do anything for me that the manga doesn't do already. I could very well get bored and stop watching if I have games to play.

FMP IV - Other than the slight oddness so far with the CG mechas, it looks quite good. While I prefer hand-drawn mechs, if they animate them well enough in combat I think I can tolerate it. Overall I kinda find it hard to muster much enthusiasm for this since it has been far too long since the last one. I'm alright with it but I just don't care that much.

S;G 0 - Seems well made enough. I thought the first anime was quite a slow burner, but the payoff was worth it for me once it started getting intense. So only time will tell whether I enjoy this or not - looks like we're in for another slow burn at the start.

Isekai Izakaya - I was hoping for another Isekai Shokudou but it looks like this anime was funded by some tourism agency or some shit and it just feels kinda wrong. Still somewhat low key amusing I suppose, but not sure if I can keep with it if it is just going to be nothing but WHATSONTAP jokes.

Continuing

Basilisk Ouka Ninpochou - I have no goddamn clue why I'm still watching this beyond that there's goddamn nothing else to watch on the day it comes out. I'm finding it very dull and forgettable. Hachiro has the personality of a brick wall. Kinda just rolling with it cause I watched the first.

Darlifra - It's alright but I'm still hoping for Guilty Crown/Valvrave/CrossAnge level shitstorm. The 4chan discussions are more entertaining than the show itself. So much rage about cuck this and cuck that.

Card Captor - No more Maaya Sakamoto theme. Sad. But hey another Minori Suzuki song. Seriously needs to pick up the pace. Was the original show this absolutely glacial? Maybe it was but I lived with it cause I binge watched it as opposed to weekly.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 am

DaRk_KnIgHt wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Ainu girl keeps reminding me of Otoyomegatari.
Nice to know I'm not the only one! I think it's the style and detail of the costuming. That and her face and attitude remind me a bit of Pariya.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 am

Still watching Darling in the Franxx. I've lost any ability to create a coherent opinion about it.
High School DxD S4 - I like how they retconned out all the "anime original" bullshit from S3 and are sticking to the light novels. That being said, new studio is ehhhh. Three seasons of one studio + mobage + posters + official art and suddenly new studio? ehhhh.
Stein's;Gate 0 - I keep downloading the episodes, so I clearly must want to watch it, even though I haven't.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Nestor wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 am
Still watching Darling in the Franxx. I've lost any ability to create a coherent opinion about it.
just don't shitpost artists about it lol

Yeah i don't think i can create a cogent opinion about it either, but at least it's entertaining.
DaRk_KnIgHt wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Card Captor - No more Maaya Sakamoto theme. Sad. But hey another Minori Suzuki song. Seriously needs to pick up the pace. Was the original show this absolutely glacial? Maybe it was but I lived with it cause I binge watched it as opposed to weekly.
That is a lovely Suzuki Minori song, forgot to mention. As someone who actually didn't care much about Sakamoto's original contribution to the series I am pretty fond of this development. I mean, she's still writing the lyrics to Minoringo's song so it is some involvement, you can't really complain.

The pacing is probably fine if the show is 4 cours long, which it may be...

And the wotakoi casting thing does bother some people, including me, but more like, I'm fatigued by the mature Sawashiro default voice used, it doesn't work.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 am

omoikane wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm

And the wotakoi casting thing does bother some people, including me, but more like, I'm fatigued by the mature Sawashiro default voice used, it doesn't work.
I think it fits, because Koyanagi is a pretty big gal.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Finally got around to Hisomaso and Magical Girl Site this weekend and they were fine. Was expecting more trash for Site but it turned out to be solid otaku pandering material, lol. Maybe that is exactly the kind of trash that works for me.

Hisomaso...i should go photoshop a graphic. It's really good but also ugh.

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:35 am

I used to read mahou shoujo site, but ended up reading it alongside mahou shoujo of the end and kinda got burned out from the author's style. I can't help but compare it to Attack on Titan since it kinda relies on shock and hooks to keep pulling you along but at the same time - doesn't really go anywhere.

I'm kinda acclimating to wotakoi's voices somewhat with the second episode. I also felt Sawashiro's voice there is somewhat mismatched and tired, but Kabakura just bothered me way more. It'd be funny if they got Aya Endo to do Koyanagi so that it would match a seiyuu joke later on
SpoilerShow
where she gets in a fight with Kabakura and he went on about how he preferred cuter loli type girls. Koyanagi ran off crying "sorry I couldn't be your Ranka." Aya Endo voices Sheryl Nome, Ranka's counterpart in Macross Frontier.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am

DaRk_KnIgHt wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:35 am
I'm kinda acclimating to wotakoi's voices somewhat with the second episode. I also felt Sawashiro's voice there is somewhat mismatched and tired, but Kabakura just bothered me way more. It'd be funny if they got Aya Endo to do Koyanagi so that it would match a seiyuu joke later on
SpoilerShow
where she gets in a fight with Kabakura and he went on about how he preferred cuter loli type girls. Koyanagi ran off crying "sorry I couldn't be your Ranka." Aya Endo voices Sheryl Nome, Ranka's counterpart in Macross Frontier.
That explains why Wotakoi isn't hitting my buttons partly...the jokes are on target but packs no punch. It's likely too low level. Not hipster enough. Maybe it would have worked better 7 years ago or something.

Murren

Post by Murren » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 am

I just watched the Anohana movie. It was intoxicating with the same emotional stuff that I love. I think a lot of it was recap (but I sometimes wasn't sure because I didn't remember anything, lol), so it was good that there was that much recap because for people like me who watched the series a few years ago and forgot a lot of stuff, I can still have a context for what goes on. Plus it can probably stand on its own pretty much as a stand-alone movie that way. So, yeah, overall, moving story, and makes me feel intense emotions in a good (and kind of addicting) way. Overall, very satisfied.
Murrin-Murrin

My new anime list

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Thu May 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Forgot to mention I am finally kind of caught up on Hisomaso and Magical Girl Site.

LOL. both of them.

darrin

Post by darrin » Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen

This is probably old (I am always way behind the times) but I just stumbled across it recently and have gotten a chuckle or two out of it.

You don't often hear phrases like "plausible deniability", "preponderance of evidence", or "mutually assured destruction" in a romcom (let alone a student council one). If you think that's a failing of the genre, or if you think "Bridges of Madison County" should have been written by Tom Clancy, this might be worth a shot.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Wed May 09, 2018 12:11 pm

I think Kaguya is fairly popular. I'm enjoying it. While it mostly makes me laugh, it can catch you off guard and hit you right in the feels every now and then. I do like how the core rivalry has slowly developed as the series progressed.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 am

In This Corner of the World - Yeah. :cry:

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun May 20, 2018 11:44 am

Well I've finally picked up Juushinki Pandora. For something coming from Kawamori it is pretty bland. His mechs nowadays are also all super samey looking.

shonen_jidai

Post by shonen_jidai » Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 pm

I finished Recovery of an MMO Junkie and am watching Sword Art Online Alternative:GGO, My Hero Academia, and rewatched FLCL on Toonami. My Crunchyrolll queue is a mess of half started titles as well! I'm mostly excited about the upcoming FLCL seasons, hoping they recapture the magic of the first!

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 am

Mid season update:

Amanchu 2 has taken a turn towards fantasy; can't say I'm a fan of the shift.

Boku no Hero Acadamia 3 is doing a really good job on this arc, but do they have to put that 30 second intro at the beginning of each episode?

Darling in the FranXX is turning into an emo train wreck again.

Golden Kamuy is really good(no CGI bears for a couple of episodes now, hurray!), but the pace is so slow, it looks like there's going to have to be a 2nd season, someday.

Megalo Box is copying old worn out tropes(kid has more sense than the adults, fighter gets stonger the more he gets pummled, ect.), but it does it well enough that I don't really care.

SnS is best when Souma's dad is there, but if he were there every episode, then it wouldn't be as good. Not sure if the anime is going to catch the manga before it ends, it would have to speed things up a bit, or run a few extra episodes.

Tada-kun is very by the book predictable, but I like the main characters, so it's OK.

Tokyo Ghoul:re keeps using Saiko as mostly comic relief, which I feel is out of place in this show. Hard to keep track of all the characters, too.

Wotakoi just keeps plugging along; it keeps me entertained, but there's not a lot of "cool!" moments in it.

May pick up Hinamatsuri if I have time. I have to watch Steins;Gate before watching Steins;Gate 0, which I plan to do, at some point.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 am
Golden Kamuy is really good(no CGI bears for a couple of episodes now, hurray!), but the pace is so slow, it looks like there's going to have to be a 2nd season, someday.
While I'd love to see a second season, I have a nasty suspicion this is going to be another of those "Hope this got you eager for more so you buy the Manga/Light Novels" from here on out" bait and switch. While we occasionally get excellent things like the Full Metal Alchemist shows, it seems like most LN/Manga to Anime use the Anime as an extended teaser.

Luckily, if that is the case, you can purchase the first five volumes of the manga on Amazon.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Seems like the business model for the manga/anime industry in Japan has different priorities than it does in the US(as in Marvel, DC, ect.) I can't imagine the Avengers movies being made only to support the comics.

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm

It's a very common practice in Japan. I have a long list of "incomplete" anime I have read which basically were meant to pimp the manga, light novel, or game it came from. Here's three examples:

Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?
Seraph of the End
Yona of the Dawn

wordwarrior

Post by wordwarrior » Sun May 27, 2018 7:39 pm

De-lurking after an eternity of silence...
Currently watching much the same as everybody else:

Amanchu 2 - never seen the first season, don't feel yet that I actually have to ... nice and cozy, just throwing some Marry Poppins moments for character development(??)
FMP IV - is apparently back to its old self contained arcs; as long as we don't plunge into another "War Is Hell by Sousuke Sagara" arc, I'm ok with this...
Darling in the FranXX - episode 20 kinda spelled out what I was thinking: the kids are the last "humans". APE, Papa and the other adults have become human wannabes. A/in/human?
Golden Kamuy - I'm enjoying it, but really, no one will get all the tatoos. So it's probably down to finding the man who burried the gold in the first place.
Wotakoi - my comfort food every week.
Uma Mususme Pretty Derby - my other comfort food every
week. Can't stop 'laughing at the freaking costumes they are racing in.
Hozuki no Reitetsu - providing the chuckles almost every episode, so I'm back actively watching this.
Tada-kun is indeed predictable, and probably will stick to its title. Even Nyanko Big is getting more romance than Tada.
HisoMaso - keeps me entertained without trying too hard.
Hinamatsuri had a few "what" episodes, but I'm still following it. The humor feels often like clapping with only one hand.
Wakaokami wa Shougakusei! - it's in a morning slot, but it's short, cute and fairly funny. About the same can be said of Layton's Mystery Detective Agency.
Steins;Gate 0; SAO Alternative; Mahou Shoujo Site; Lupin Trois V; Tiramisu; Mahou Shoujo Ore - proceeding along just as planned

A few infamous mentions now:
Dances with Dragons - a cop show with assault magicians and dragons and politics. And corruption. Oh agg.
Devil's Line - another cop show with vampires on the police force. Could have been way shorter, way darker, and certainly way better written. But it's not.
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume - it's like a rerun of Soft Tennis, but about ping pong. Also, homelier and less funny than ST.
Lost Song - aye, they lost it.
Grancrest Senki - it's often bloody battle for half an episode, then some unrealistic resolution because PLOT ARMOR. Dude.
Toji no Miko - works a lot better when they try for comedy, and not battle-of-the-week won by the same people because s'more PLOT ARMOR.
Jikkenhin Kazoku Creatures Family Days - started not so good, and it's not improving, either.

I've also marathoned a few shows lately. Two were shiny, (visually) pretty sci-fi series: Kuromukuro and A.I.C.O. - Incarnation. The former was a lot better than the latter. Another series was Flying Witch - a comfy, totally relaxed show about witches, duh. Mob Psycho 100 was a lot of fun, 10/10, would watch again. Currently burning through Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress - holy shit, them visuals.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu May 31, 2018 2:07 am

Binged Hinamatsuri; it's OK.

crosis101

Post by crosis101 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm

I am reading Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt....I am really enjoying it.
Six Classes of People you can kill with impunity in a movie:
1) Aliens
2) Zombies
3) Nazis ( can't believe we live in a world where people think this is not the case)
4) Communists
5) Robots
6) Ninjas