First Thoughts, Spring 2018

Yl33 D4 N00b

First Thoughts, Spring 2018

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:46 am

Thought I'd throw out a few first impressions of this season's shows before Omo starts a new thread.

Unless Tokyo Ghoul:re ups their game, it could be a disappointment, like S2. Needs to be a lot darker, and cut down on the lame attempts of humor.

Tada Never Falls in Love started off great, then started to veer toward standard romcom fare. It would have been better served if the girls were there for like a month vacation, instead of becoming transfer students.

Megalo Box is retro as hell(as it should be). Very well done!

Yl33 D4 N00b

Re: First Thoughts, Spring 2018

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Amanchu! Advance is more of the pseudo-yuri comfy SOL goodness they had the first season.

Disappointed they had a semi-recap episode to stary off My Hero Acadamia S3.

OTOH, Food Wars started off pretty strong......

I think Golden Kamuy will be watchable, at least I hope it keeps it up.....

Piano Forest was stupid AF. Dropped.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Anybody watch Magical Girl Site yet? Hard to tell if it's good or trash, don't want to waste 25 minutes finding out.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 am

I did spend about 25 minutes enjoying Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, however. A lot!

Sareth

Post by Sareth » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:19 pm

So far:

Comic Girls is really cute. I think it's going to be fun.
Love To-LIE-Angle is... inexplicable. I have no idea what I am watching. And yet I am still watching it.
Golden Kamuy I WANT MORE OF THIS. RIGHT NOW.
Legend of the Galactoc Heroes: Die Neue Thesis is promising to be excellent.
Maaaaaaan. Now I need to start winning posts again.

Read my original and fanfiction: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Bookah/works

DaRk_KnIgHt

Post by DaRk_KnIgHt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Hisone to Masotan - Pleasant surprise. Decided to give it a shot after seeing a regurgitating gif.

Hero Academia - More of the same old, a comforting way to end a Sunday.

Golden Kamuy - I like the concept but by god it looks so cheap and bad. Those bears jesus. Maybe I should read the manga instead, which to my knowledge as some excellent art. Ainu girl keeps reminding me of Otoyomegatari.

Wotakoi - Is it just me or does Kabakura feel miscast? I kinda imagined someone rougher like Seki rather than Sugita who I feel sounds too smooth for him. I don't mind watching more of this but at the same time it doesn't quite do anything for me that the manga doesn't do already. I could very well get bored and stop watching if I have games to play.

FMP IV - Other than the slight oddness so far with the CG mechas, it looks quite good. While I prefer hand-drawn mechs, if they animate them well enough in combat I think I can tolerate it. Overall I kinda find it hard to muster much enthusiasm for this since it has been far too long since the last one.

S;G 0 - Seems well made enough. I thought the first anime was quite a slow burner, but the payoff was worth it for me once it started getting intense. So only time will tell whether I enjoy this or not - looks like we're in for another slow burn at the start.

Isekai Izakaya - I was hoping for another Isekai Shokudou but it looks like this anime was funded by some tourism agency or some shit and it just feels kinda wrong. Still somewhat low key amusing I suppose.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

guess I'll write mine up in the sticky, but just to duplicate:

Megalobox - retro in the meta as in, retro in a way old anime was, rather than how things were? iono. A lot of fun, and was fairly engaging despite the snail's pace.
Hinamatsuri - comedy done right.
FMP:IV - I never really liked FMP, even though it was fun and enjoyable, despite flaws. The series still peaked at fumoffu and this is at least a bit more cinematic than Kyoani's version.
Magical Girls site - who is streaming this?
Wotakoi - I hope the manga is good because actually this anime disappoints me, like, just go rewatch Nigehaji or something. However it's probably worth recommending to all the normal people/riajuus to watch this instead of remembering what densha otoko was. Or god forbid, BBT. It does represent a generational shift.
You don't know gunma yet - only funny if you already knew gunma.
GGO:SAO::Railgun:Index
Tiramisu: This is okay
Crossing time: This is okay
S;G:0 - LOL. I do miss this cast, so I'll stick around.
Last Period: Trash asian mmorpg/socialge nonsense is fun, maybe stick around a bit
Alice or Alice: I guess nekopara got an anime
P5A: It's pretty at least. I didn't play the game so this will be a challenge.
Caligula: Sad it airs the same time as P5A, but it scratches that trashy Chiyomaru SF itch better than SG:0 or P5A.
Gurazeni: My soul food this season
Isekai Izakaya: If someone made an anime about how good Budweiser tasted with buffalo wings, I don't think anyone is gonna watch it. But this anime is almost literally that. Too bad it comes with this awesome live action part...so I felt compelled to watch. Maybe I'll just skip.
Akkun to Kanojo: My Sweet Tyrant is my seiyuu duty this season. Good job nontan!
Comic Girls: Wears self-awareness on its sleeves but nobody gets it unless you are into manga I guess. I sure kinda don't.
GBD: Feel let down compared to GBF, but hopefully they'll move past the mobage setting and into something worthwhile story-wise. Also, really kids oriented this time, which doesn't help unless it ratchet up the whacky factor more. Not a knock against 00 Gundam but where's my windmill srsly.
Umamusume: Definitely the dark horse of this season. Might be the only horse joke I make in the next 3 months.
Mahoushoujo Ore: It's okay, not sure if I will stick with it if it is a really shoujo-y tropy kind of thing.
new LOGH: It's okay! I think it's not as bad as I thought. Which is not saying much.

Yl33 D4 N00b wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:46 am
Thought I'd throw out a few first impressions of this season's shows before Omo starts a new thread.
Just as an aside, feel free to "start" the thread the way they do, so I can just pin yours when I get around to it, instead of me making another thread. In other words, write it as "What are you watching/reading" etc and include a link to the prior thread in the OP.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 pm

omoikane wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Just as an aside, feel free to "start" the thread the way they do, so I can just pin yours when I get around to it, instead of me making another thread. In other words, write it as "What are you watching/reading" etc and include a link to the prior thread in the OP.
OK, got it.

Yl33 D4 N00b

Post by Yl33 D4 N00b » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Magical Girl Site is on Amazon Prime Video.