Otakon 2017

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Otakon 2017

Post by omoikane » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Anyone going to Otakon 2017, first time in Washington DC?

I'll be there...probably won't be doing a lot outside of the concerts though.

Arc_Ressiv

Re: Otakon 2017

Post by Arc_Ressiv » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:26 pm

It is going to be weird not being able to just hop in the car and drive to inner harbor.
I'm more excited about the food scene then anything else.

I did grab the concerts tickets too. So many seats left for that.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:49 am

Yeah I hope more people show up for the two concerts. I'll be jumping up and down (or headbanging) as appropriate towards the front.

The food scene should be fun, as long as we steer away from any Japanese food lol.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Omo's comment reminds me of the time I missed two days of a con after some sushi....

Wave Master

Post by Wave Master » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 am

Will be there to play mahjong as usual, find me wherever card games are being played, probably.

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I recently (a month ago?) picked up weiss schwarz as a way to rep franchises/characters, and to have something to do at a bushiroad event. So I've been bringing it to cons sometimes.

That said I don't even have time to play it, nor people to play with regularly.

Animal

Post by Animal » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I won't be going to the con but I live in DC so I might stop by and people watch.

There's a lot of food in the area within walking distance from the con so let me know if you need recommendations. A lot of good stuff is sit down and there's a ton of fast casual chains, some good local good stuff is Smoked and Stacked (pastrami sandwiches by a former Top Chef contestant), El Sol (good Mexican), Sundevich (sandwiches), Shouk (pitas and lentil and rice bowls). Go to Columbia Room for super fancy cocktails. One of my favorite bars, Jackpot, is by Gallery Place/Chinatown metro, they have a great rotating beer selection and $2 off HH everyday until 8 PM. Enjoy the city!

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 am

All sound like good options. I don't know if I'll be super busy at the con yet, haven't looked hard at the schedule, but definitely up for foods.

Some of us are going to Fado Irish Pub at 8pm Thursday and Fogo (it's a tradition now?) on Saturday. If you are interested please put your name in the spreadsheet as there is already a reservation.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Animal wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm
I won't be going to the con but I live in DC so I might stop by and people watch.

There's a lot of food in the area within walking distance from the con so let me know if you need recommendations. A lot of good stuff is sit down and there's a ton of fast casual chains, some good local good stuff is Smoked and Stacked (pastrami sandwiches by a former Top Chef contestant), El Sol (good Mexican), Sundevich (sandwiches), Shouk (pitas and lentil and rice bowls). Go to Columbia Room for super fancy cocktails. One of my favorite bars, Jackpot, is by Gallery Place/Chinatown metro, they have a great rotating beer selection and $2 off HH everyday until 8 PM. Enjoy the city!
https://washington.org/meetings/convent ... estaurants also

shonen_jidai

Post by shonen_jidai » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm

This will be my first Otakon in 4 years! So I'm looking forward to the new location. Karaoke, concerts and cosplay are at the top of my list. But as we all know, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy! ^_^

omoikane
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by omoikane » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

what you went? dang.

shonen_jidai

Post by shonen_jidai » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 am

Yeah, sorry I missed you, but it felt really good to be back! I ended up spending most of my time at the concerts and karaoke. The new space is massive! Looking forward to doing it again next year. Next up Dragon Con!