Upon a trip to Buffalo:
"My gown stays white
From morn 'til night
Upon the Road of Anthracite".

Advertising slogan from the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad
1853-1960
Requiescat in pace.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Re: [1564] Important

Post by eomdal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 am

857, 858, and 859 and now this. Largo and Erika's game may seem codependent and unhealthy, but Memi could see its worth.

Erika can see it now. And she may have also been having emotional flashbacks to Hitoshi's "I'm holding you back" breakup. She's not giving up this time. (I'm not comparing Hitoshi and Largo: Hitoshi was being insecure and chikenshit. Largo is reasonably spooked by supernatural forces.)

The real concern I have is these phone calls she intends to make. If she is going back into acting, she will indeed want Largo at her side: who else is gonna run over Dom with a lawn mower?

Edit: Fred, thank you for this! You struggled mightily with this and it has paid off!

HakuRyoku

Post by HakuRyoku » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:03 am

love the subtle Moeko flashes in the bottom panel, not quite sure what to think about it all, just love that little tidbit
Bringer of pointless claims and false theories
Self imposed president of the 'I *heart* TWB' fan club

Twitch: Diremist04
Twitter: Diremist

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am

eomdal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:20 am
857, 858, and 859 and now this. Largo and Erika's game may seem codependent and unhealthy, but Memi could see its worth.
IMO this is different from the above. Exactly for the reason you write below: Largo is not the pathetic dork Hitoshi was. He's "I want to continue, but this is beyond my level! I can't even see them m0nst3rz!1!" He's not putting his feelings before hers like Hitoshi did. He's thinking about her safety first.

And her response...
SpoilerShow
"Noisy." "Your feelings..." "Are important." (t/n: Google Translate says "taisetsu nanda" means 'what is it?' but just 'taisetsu' translates to 'important' and it's not a question... )

The real concern I have is these phone calls she intends to make. If she is going back into acting, she will indeed want Largo at her side: who else is gonna run over Dom with a lawn mower?

Edit: Fred, thank you for this! You struggled mightily with this and it has paid off!
Yay Fred welcome back! We always have a spot for you here, you know ;)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish
and where it happens when I have time to stream

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

Dante_Sol

Post by Dante_Sol » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:34 am

I love this and if you hover your mouse over the text, you get the English translations without needing to google translate it.

paarfi
Super Mod
Super Mod

Post by paarfi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am

Yeah, I have to agree with the general opinion so far. Fred was all "everybody is going to hate Largo after this", in large part because of the strong parallel to how Hitoshi left Erika. But it doesn't come across like that at all, at least to me. I think it's because we know Largo and Erika, and we've seen how they've both grown. Their relationship is stronger than that, and they are both stronger than that. The way it turned out feels completely them, and I think it's awesome.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum Dante_Sol.
Proud owner of kendermouse's 500th post.
Lean and slippered forum loon

garapagosu

Post by garapagosu » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 am

1. Yay! Giffy Gif Moeko. Wonder if she's faster than Yuki.

2. That bubble script is neat.

3. I may need to update my signature. Such wuv

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:01 am

I feel called out :)

I first watched the page on mobile browser (FF on Android) and did not try clicking over the image.
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Blessed be those, who, having nothing to say, avoid trying to tell this to the world in their own words - J. Tuwim ( liberally translated )

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:23 am

paarfi wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am
Yeah, I have to agree with the general opinion so far. Fred was all "everybody is going to hate Largo after this", in large part because of the strong parallel to how Hitoshi left Erika. But it doesn't come across like that at all, at least to me.
I think it was just another SFS/Fred Herring ;) looks like we really should be listening to the characters, and not to Fred ;) but that would be listening to what Fred says. Oops. Warning: Stack overlow.

In more serious note, this could have gone horribly wrong but likely, the "My feelings are not important!" callout is what saved him here. At least he doesn't blatantly lie in her face. Makes me wonder, what kind of liar Hitoshi was. (yeah I know what Erika and Kimi said about him, but that's just their side of things, we don't know and probably never will, what led him to do that... I mean it's a common occurrence in shoujo too, right? Reject someone forcibly, even if it hurts, for their own good. It all could have been a setup, exactly as he actually intended.)
(edit: no, that's not right. Masamichi's children are over 10yo, and Erika never met them, even before the breakup 2 comic years ago. So bleah, sleazy and damn him to hell, burn the jerk.)
I think it's because we know Largo and Erika, and we've seen how they've both grown. Their relationship is stronger than that, and they are both stronger than that. The way it turned out feels completely them, and I think it's awesome.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum Dante_Sol.
garapagosu wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 am
1. Yay! Giffy Gif Moeko. Wonder if she's faster than Yuki.
Moeko can only move /a little/, very, very fast. So likely yes, but her range is limited.

(tangent note: please whoever dabs their fingers into fixing Megalettering, I wish it would support gifs and pages like that too.... currently it doesn't, and it sux (see 1337, and then 1337 in translation.))
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

cryum

Post by cryum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 am

Fred is ascending into a higher plane of existence/file format

....wait, how do you do this on a physical copy?

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:15 am

eomdal wrote:

Erika can see it now. And she may have also been having emotional flashbacks to Hitoshi's "I'm holding you back" breakup. She's not giving up this time. (I'm not comparing Hitoshi and Largo: Hitoshi was being insecure and chikenshit. Largo is reasonably spooked by supernatural forces.)

She is going to be calling Dom, so Largo needs to learn to be a good boy and say yes ma'am and no ma'am and be polite if he knows what is good for him

Teddy-Werebear

Post by Teddy-Werebear » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am

Erika is carrying Largo off under her arm like luggage... what more proof do you want that her body has been hijacked by Moeko? Okay, she also started out speaking Japanese before Moeko switched to speaking in English after she gained full mental mastery over Erika's knowledge, memories, and skills. This is really bad for Largo,,, let alone Erika.

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am

Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am
Erika is carrying Largo off under her arm like luggage... what more proof do you want that her body has been hijacked by Moeko? Okay, she also started out speaking Japanese before Moeko switched to speaking in English after she gained full mental mastery over Erika's knowledge, memories, and skills. This is really bad for Largo,,, let alone Erika.
Oh this is great for Erika, actually good for Largo too once he gets with the program.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am

cryum wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 am

Print on transparent overlay page, and have the reader flip it up and down :)

(or do a 'comicbook pageflip animation' with explanation to flip the page up/down quickly by the corners - see Dav Pilkey's Dog Man books)
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish

Olba

Post by Olba » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am
cryum wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 am

Print on transparent overlay page, and have the reader flip it up and down :)

(or do a 'comicbook pageflip animation' with explanation to flip the page up/down quickly by the corners - see Dav Pilkey's Dog Man books)
Or just print the page twice (preferably first on right side, second on the next page on the left) and don't tell anyone.

StupendousMan

Post by StupendousMan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:32 pm

cidjen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am
SpoilerShow
"Noisy." "Your feelings..." "Are important." (t/n: Google Translate says "taisetsu nanda" means 'what is it?' but just 'taisetsu' translates to 'important' and it's not a question... )
SpoilerShow
A better way to think of this phrase is that the Japanese adjective is "taisetsuna", and Erika wishes to use the informal form of the verb "to be", which is "da". If one simply puts the two words next to each other, one would get "taisetsuna da", but that combination grates on the Japanese ear. In cases such as this, Japanese speakers add a terminal "n" to the adjective, so that the phrase becomes "taisetsunan da".

Roborat

Post by Roborat » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm

What an awesome page. I knew Largo understood what was going on, in his own way. These two are going to be a very powerful team. I love the cameo (?) I guess you could call it in the last panel, Although I am really curious how that is going to work in the book. Nice work on the translation and letting us know about it, it never would have occurred to me to mouse over for the translation. I am a little confused over the big panel, did she head but Largo, or just go in for the hug? Why is the fridge all taped off?

Rapierman

Post by Rapierman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I'd love to know how you pulled off the flashing in-and-out Moeko. I wasn't sure if that was a great HTML trick or a malfunction / programming error.
Roborat wrote: I am a little confused over the big panel, did she head but Largo, or just go in for the hug?
I'm pretty sure that's a hug, or possibly an actual kiss just hidden by the back of Erika's head
Roborat wrote: Why is the fridge all taped off?
Actually, that's the hospital room's door. You'll recall that the TPCD has known that Moeko is a very high level magical girl for quite some time. The caution tape is understandable from their point-of-view.
Invisigoth wrote: She is going to be calling Dom, so Largo needs to learn to be a good boy and say yes ma'am and no ma'am and be polite if he knows what is good for him.
Can't be sure about the first part, but definitely agree with the second part. Just go with it, Largo.
The Rapierman: Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

NinjaDefenestrator

Post by NinjaDefenestrator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Aw, that was sweet. I didn’t think Largo would be the type to pull a Hitoshi, even sort of. Good for Erika to see through it.

The Moeko peek was cute too.

Ningen 2

Post by Ningen 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I found I couldn't resolve the Moeko moment, so for anyone else having difficulty here it is...
Image Ningen pity unfortunate individual.

eomdal
Location: Northern California: Proud nexus of Unreal America.

Post by eomdal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Invisigoth wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:15 am
eomdal wrote:
She is going to be calling Dom, so Largo needs to learn to be a good boy and say yes ma'am and no ma'am and be polite if he knows what is good for him
Viz, you do tend to be right about these things a lot more often than me, but I do not see Largo doing that, and do not think Erika will want him to. Largo knows Dom well enough to know that, even though Erika is smarter than Dom, that he and Sega are evil enough to complicate Erika's plans if left unchecked. (Also, though Largo doesn't know this yet, Junpei may be no longer able to help.) Erika knows Dom is evil but doesn't have Largo's experience with him, and she knows Largo. She is smart enough to use her ally to her advantage, and that having him (actually) sit on the sidelines both a non-starter and a gross under-utilization of a valuable resource.

Now, her strategy in her game with Dom may involve having Largo participate in a deception, where he pretends to be sidelined for a while. Largo would cotton to that. (Having the discipline to convincingly do so is the x factor) Dom already thinks Largo is "whipped", so he might buy it. Regardless of what she has in mind, she wouldn't be dragging Largo along solely because his feeling matter: If she thought that she could handle Dom and/or the industry herself and that Largo would have to be a real yes-dear guy for her to be able do so then she would have accepted his break-up with her and they would be parting ways in that hospital.

Or, you could be right and Largo will stand aside and, despite knowing Dom better than Erika does, let her handle Dom herself. To me, though, that just doesn't scan.

darrin

Post by darrin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 am

paarfi wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am
But it doesn't come across like that at all, at least to me.
Me either, I agree. This isn't Hitoshi saying "I'm dumping you because I think I'm holding you back (except I'm actually lying about that because of my own issues which I think are more important than yours)". Largo by contrast is worried that he might not actually be able to help her on this particular field of battle, and is attempting to consign himself "gallantly" (from his POV) to a man in the chair role.

Erika refusing him that role makes the scene hilarious.
Teddy-Werebear wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am
Erika is carrying Largo off under her arm like luggage... what more proof do you want that her body has been hijacked by Moeko?
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha no.

Erika has always been stronger.
Avatar by Broken, I changed the book
My rescripts, now with little bits of commentary for each one

Invisigoth

Post by Invisigoth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 am

At issue is that Don now controls the rights to Girl Phase and he desires it to be renewed successfully. Erika now shares that desire. Largo’s history with Dom is relevant only as far as him playing with him as part of a team.

cidjen

Post by cidjen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am

I wonder, since the takeover happened 10 comic days ago, does Kimi actually know? and what will Erika do when she learns? Or Largo, or Piro?

AFAIR, Piro is border-line indifferent - apart from the gripe when Dom tried to make him choose, or may actually remember that Dom was there when Kimiko refused his protection and then cried - which might get Kimiko and Piro aggravated; however Piro may still be facing the bail hearing, so he might actually need to get on Dom's nice side to not be deported prematurely... but it'll be hard to work for someone holding grudges. Huh.

Of all 4 of them, Erika may be the most level-headed and pragmatic and push the other 3 to completing the project, for the sake of Moeko, regardless of who are they working with; IDK what will Largo do ;)

Piro: "So, let me get this straight... Kimiko gives the voice to the character of the girl, who is in a coma in the hospital, that has been kept up to this point by whatever Miho's story made it to be? So that girl is actually Kotone? OMG WTF BBQ."
Слава Україні!
🖕💩🥫🚽🖌️
--------
Translation to polish